Author Topic: Limosine skateboards  (Read 70109 times)

pause

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Re: Limosine skateboards
« Reply #480 on: February 04, 2022, 06:53:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Logan has nailed the feel of his videos. a high bar IMO for skateboarding film-makers.
[close]

There's a reason why Aaron Meza considers him the best.

I wonder what the timeline would look like if he didn't bounce from Crailtap and got to do a Girl/Chocolate video.

so crail dropped the ball on this guy too? :o (jk i assume it was his decision)

Anyone know what's going with Andrew Wilson?  Was hoping he'd be on as hockey doesn't seem to be happening.   

he didnt like the graphics

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #481 on: February 04, 2022, 07:13:44 AM »
I just can’t believe y’all care about someone who skates black wheels.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

IpathCats

« Reply #482 on: February 04, 2022, 10:08:19 AM »

no one cared about me when I had those black spitfires with the flame bighead when i was like 12, not even my dad.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #483 on: February 04, 2022, 11:56:09 AM »

Even my Tech Decks don't get any attention with black wheels

weregoingunion

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #484 on: February 04, 2022, 01:55:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Dude said one of the reasons he quit was because of those big boy jeans…. LMAO.  I’m sorry man but those Polar checks must have been really nice after big boys and 93’s blew up… so to quit a company in the height of their financial boom (trendy pants or not) AND they’re about to give you a pro deck is some fried shit. In the words of the great Kenny Powers, you gotta play to get paid.
[close]

Where can I read / hear this ?
[close]
the angel and z podcast i believe

51:54:

and from heckride:
You rode for them for a few years and even had a part in their last full length, “We Blew It At Some Point.” I personally really loved that video but I know you’ve mentioned in other interviews that you never liked the vibe of the edit. What in particular was it that made you not like your part in the video?

Well, the song in my part for sure, that song should not be in a skate video at all. I didn’t like the whole modern art vibe to it all, I didn’t like that Big Boy pants were a thing, and it almost all felt trendy in a way. Their graphics also felt kind of hit and miss, like I would like one graphic out of a whole season of boards. Towards the end Emile [Laurent], Paul [Grund], and Hjalte would do some of the graphics and those were cool, but everything else just wasn’t my vibe. Skating just means so much to me, and in doing so, it makes me overly critical in every aspect I choose to represent. If I’m not 100% stoked on what I’m riding for, then I’m just over it. Like I’m fully committed to my homies on the team, but I’m not fully committed to this company.

I know people have gone on record to say that Pontus Alv can be a bit intense to deal with. Did you guys have any disagreements or butt heads at all?

Yeah, nothing too crazy though. There would be disagreements from time to time on skate trips. Sometimes he would just put off a bad vibe and it would trip me out, but I’m also just a different person than he is. That’s my friend and I understand that at the end of the day you’re the boss, but it just never felt comfortable. I knew I wasn’t going to be there forever.

I heard rumors of there being a pro board already in the works, is that true?

Yeah, there was. I saw the graphic that was mocked up for my pro board and it would have been a graphic that, if that was my pro board, I would have cried - and not tears of joy. I mean shoutout to Pontus for the gesture in wanting to turn me pro but I wasn’t feeling the graphic.
https://heckride.com/f/andrew-wilson
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #485 on: February 04, 2022, 02:14:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Dude said one of the reasons he quit was because of those big boy jeans…. LMAO.  I’m sorry man but those Polar checks must have been really nice after big boys and 93’s blew up… so to quit a company in the height of their financial boom (trendy pants or not) AND they’re about to give you a pro deck is some fried shit. In the words of the great Kenny Powers, you gotta play to get paid.
[close]

[close]
[close]

and from heckride:
Expand Quote
You rode for them for a few years and even had a part in their last full length, “We Blew It At Some Point.” I personally really loved that video but I know you’ve mentioned in other interviews that you never liked the vibe of the edit. What in particular was it that made you not like your part in the video?

Well, the song in my part for sure, that song should not be in a skate video at all. I didn’t like the whole modern art vibe to it all, I didn’t like that Big Boy pants were a thing, and it almost all felt trendy in a way. Their graphics also felt kind of hit and miss, like I would like one graphic out of a whole season of boards. Towards the end Emile [Laurent], Paul [Grund], and Hjalte would do some of the graphics and those were cool, but everything else just wasn’t my vibe. Skating just means so much to me, and in doing so, it makes me overly critical in every aspect I choose to represent. If I’m not 100% stoked on what I’m riding for, then I’m just over it. Like I’m fully committed to my homies on the team, but I’m not fully committed to this company.

I know people have gone on record to say that Pontus Alv can be a bit intense to deal with. Did you guys have any disagreements or butt heads at all?

Yeah, nothing too crazy though. There would be disagreements from time to time on skate trips. Sometimes he would just put off a bad vibe and it would trip me out, but I’m also just a different person than he is. That’s my friend and I understand that at the end of the day you’re the boss, but it just never felt comfortable. I knew I wasn’t going to be there forever.

Yeah, there was. I saw the graphic that was mocked up for my pro board and it would have been a graphic that, if that was my pro board, I would have cried - and not tears of joy. I mean shoutout to Pontus for the gesture in wanting to turn me pro but I wasn’t feeling the graphic.
[close]

Seems a bit silly. There's no company on the planet that nail every aspect of running a brand. Sometimes they have weak graphics, dodgy edits etc. As a whole Polar is God tier compared to 95% of the industry.

Also We Blew It At Some Point is a masterpiece. This dope is fried.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #486 on: February 04, 2022, 02:18:18 PM »
Reminds me of when Kyle Beachy wrote an in-depth, positive and pretty mundane review of 917's video that pissed Aidan and his friends off so bad they refuse to work with Jenkem at all
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #487 on: February 04, 2022, 03:53:25 PM »
I've said this in other threads, but it's crazy someone can be so image conscious, and have so much footage in Janoski slip ons. On one hand I respect that if he's not completely 100% down, then he's not down, but you can't tell me if he was on Hockey and there was something he didn't like, he'd quit. I think there's probably a lot more to his relationship with Pontus too.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 04:00:41 PM by HORSES »

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #488 on: February 04, 2022, 04:43:06 PM »
I've said this in other threads, but it's crazy someone can be so image conscious, and have so much footage in Janoski slip ons. On one hand I respect that if he's not completely 100% down, then he's not down, but you can't tell me if he was on Hockey and there was something he didn't like, he'd quit. I think there's probably a lot more to his relationship with Pontus too.
Isn’t he the Euro-Jamie Thomas?

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #489 on: February 04, 2022, 04:55:02 PM »
Reminds me of when Kyle Beachy wrote an in-depth, positive and pretty mundane review of 917's video that pissed Aidan and his friends off so bad they refuse to work with Jenkem at all

valid response imo, if kyle beachy intellectualised my crew id probably not want to skate for a while let alone work with the same publication that published it
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #490 on: February 04, 2022, 05:45:58 PM »
That jenkem 917 article was cringe, trynna to psychoanalyze a skate vid is weird af. Some HS AP Lit bullshit fr.

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -65
  • ???
« Reply #491 on: February 05, 2022, 04:49:39 AM »
earth wart and chachi Maserati are not the same person!

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -77
« Reply #492 on: February 05, 2022, 05:07:53 AM »
That jenkem 917 article was cringe, trynna to psychoanalyze a skate vid is weird af. Some HS AP Lit bullshit fr.
^ still mad they got a 3 on the test

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #493 on: February 05, 2022, 05:52:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
^ still mad they got a 3 on the test

I got a 1 btw and I'm proud. There was some bs story about a brother and a sister chopping wood on my exam and apparently it was a metaphor for moses and the burning bush. I think i literally turned it in blank, i ain't no mothafuckin suciu.

Mark suciu probably got a five on his ap lit test and got soty, I'm livid.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 06:17:36 AM by in love w/ fs shuvs »

one-off

• Rep: 107
« Reply #494 on: February 05, 2022, 05:55:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

and from heckride:
Expand Quote

[close]

I quit my first job at Taco Bell with a similar speech, they even hinted to me I was getting a pro taco

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 280
« Reply #495 on: February 05, 2022, 11:14:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

and from heckride:
Expand Quote

[close]
Not that it will ever happen but wouldn't it be great if, after all that, he ended up riding for like Flip or some shit like Darkstar. And was genuinely like "this...this is what I'm talking about" pointing at his basic pro model in a non-ironic/non-money chasing way. Would melt minds.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #496 on: February 07, 2022, 07:03:04 AM »
I ran across the Polar crew filming in in NYC several years back and I can confirm that Pontus was absolutely radiating bad vibes. Session did not seem fun at all. Im not hating, not everyone needs to be a jolly good time 24/7, but i can understand why someone might quit. Some of the graphics are kinda busted too. Funny tho bc Limo graphics are not much better… maybe even worse depending on your taste. I still skate a lot of polar decks tho, it doesn’t have to be that deep.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #497 on: February 07, 2022, 08:32:53 AM »
Never heard of them, but I just tried to watch their last video and couldn’t get past the first minute. The tricks were good but they just looked so uncomfortable on their boards I couldn’t take it. I’m sure it probably got better, but that was my experience anyway. Lots of really wavy arms and wacky inflatable man moments in that first minute lol

« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 08:42:17 AM by KGB »

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #498 on: February 07, 2022, 08:42:12 AM »
I ran across the Polar crew filming in in NYC several years back and I can confirm that Pontus was absolutely radiating bad vibes. Session did not seem fun at all. Im not hating, not everyone needs to be a jolly good time 24/7, but i can understand why someone might quit. Some of the graphics are kinda busted too. Funny tho bc Limo graphics are not much better… maybe even worse depending on your taste. I still skate a lot of polar decks tho, it doesn’t have to be that deep.
Was it by chance while filming for that clip where they had the shopping trolley with the sheet metal and pole etc? I can understand that being a stress fest for Pontus trying to make a specific type of video. Regular sesh tho fuk that.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 09:09:18 AM by Mean salto »

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #499 on: February 07, 2022, 09:04:57 AM »

I enjoy Jenkem on the whole, but basically any of their "analysis" is painful to read; Beachy especially, who I don't find to be a remotely compelling writer.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #500 on: February 07, 2022, 09:22:11 AM »
It's really hard to think seriously about skateboarding and write about it in a way that goes beyond the ordinary puff-piece type of skate media, so props to anyone who tries, even if they don't quite nail it all the time.  That said, Beachy is like an underdeveloped creative writing professor character from a mediocre indie film about people who cheat on their partners and feel bad about it or something.  He seems like the kind of person who would say "I am an author!" as a flex when he got all worked up.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #501 on: February 07, 2022, 09:29:16 AM »
Kyle Beachy is terrible.  Also I think in general Jenkem has gotten that Johnny Wilson crew offside. The unpublished Caleb interview that was super awkward that resulted in Ian calling Caleb and making it even more awkward. Asking Diego Todd these weird questions about mastaurbating.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #502 on: February 07, 2022, 09:40:14 AM »
It's really hard to think seriously about skateboarding and write about it in a way that goes beyond the ordinary puff-piece type of skate media, so props to anyone who tries, even if they don't quite nail it all the time.  That said, Beachy is like an underdeveloped creative writing professor character from a mediocre indie film about people who cheat on their partners and feel bad about it or something.  He seems like the kind of person who would say "I am an author!" as a flex when he got all worked up.

Pardon the expression, but Beachy is more or less the “tallest midget” in the field of skateboard writing. It’s usually so terrible that anyone with a BA can stand out. With that said, I haven’t read the book yet and it got pretty good reviews from a number of places, so maybe I’ll have to revise my opinion at some point.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #503 on: February 07, 2022, 09:52:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Pardon the expression, but Beachy is more or less the “tallest midget” in the field of skateboard writing. It’s usually so terrible that anyone with a BA can stand out. With that said, I haven’t read the book yet and it got pretty good reviews from a number of places, so maybe I’ll have to revise my opinion at some point.
I'm tired and I skimmed and immediately thought of Brad staba for whatever reasons

fongool

• Rep: 94
« Reply #504 on: February 07, 2022, 10:08:26 AM »
TheMostInsufferableGuy

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #505 on: February 07, 2022, 10:23:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think you're essentially correct.  I have read the book, and while it had some really good moments that I appreciated and even at times enjoyed reading, I came away from it thinking mainly "Man it must be really hard to write well about skateboarding," because there were times that it fell so completely flat.  It seems to me that writing about skateboarding and writing about music should have a lot of similarities, but skateboarding has yet to produce someone like Griel Marcus, someone with considered opinions and the ability to express them concisely and with some erudition while remaining mostly free of writerly pretension. 

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #506 on: February 07, 2022, 10:27:24 AM »
Some of the graphics are kinda busted too.

But goddamn, the shapes sure aren't.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #507 on: February 07, 2022, 11:54:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Some of the graphics are kinda busted too.
[close]

But goddamn, the shapes sure aren't.

For real. I have skated some graphics that I found totally uncool just bc the shapes are so dope

And regarding Kyle Beachy… I’m glad he helped break open the genre of skate lit but I agree with everyone above. If you really want the full experience without reading anything you can listen to Vent City and notice how sort of like bitter and self-critical he is. Kyle if you’re reading this bro we love you and we want you to have more fun! Smooth that brain out a little bit, the Neanderthal idiocy is part of skateboarding.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #508 on: February 07, 2022, 01:58:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think you're essentially correct.  I have read the book, and while it had some really good moments that I appreciated and even at times enjoyed reading, I came away from it thinking mainly "Man it must be really hard to write well about skateboarding," because there were times that it fell so completely flat.  It seems to me that writing about skateboarding and writing about music should have a lot of similarities, but skateboarding has yet to produce someone like Griel Marcus, someone with considered opinions and the ability to express them concisely and with some erudition while remaining mostly free of writerly pretension.
Reckon the closest thing we've got is Carnie?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #509 on: February 07, 2022, 02:21:36 PM »
I just got the book this weekend but haven't started it yet.

Let’s be real tho, the best skate writer is pilot light.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E