Author Topic: Skating and Social anxiety  (Read 3532 times)

somefucker

Re: Skating and Social anxiety
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2022, 08:29:44 AM »
for me it was the lead up to skating.

i would be so in my head about how the session would potentially go, who would be there, what tricks i would do... i would be mentally/emotionally exhausted before even setting foot out the door and vibe myself out.

best advice would be if you're gonna plan to go skating somewhere try to distract yourself with other tasks (chores, video games, skate vids, exercise/warm up) before you actually have to go to the park/spot. oh and maybe wait until you've settled in and feel good at the sesh before partaking in tree/drink  ;)

Raccoon Manne

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -48
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2022, 01:57:20 PM »
I can't focus when other people are around. I get annoyed and distracted by the bros that are loud, young and obnoxious. Instead of just dealing with that, I look for nature spots to practice at and hit the park early or late when johnny ripper and the bad boy club are at home chugging beers "wooooooOoo!". "Not all skaters are regular", that's my serenity now mantra.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2022, 02:21:11 PM »
Don’t go to the park when drunk/high. You sometimes get this feeling everyone’s staring at you but they’re not.

Always nod/say hi to people. If they don’t do the same it’s their loss.

Get pumped by watching other people struggling and conquering stuff.

Try and get a group of friends you can open up with about yourself. No need for friends who are always and only discussing skating. Past like 25 y.o. that got so boring to me. But that’s just me.

Try mornings maybe. Chat people up a tiny bit. Avoid meltdowns. Have fun.
If there’s more parks in your area try and go to the shit ones too. Gravette style. You can find weird stuff to skate usually.

But yeah mostly be polite, chat people up and you’ll know right away who’s down to talk and who’s not. Open up and be yourself.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2022, 11:28:51 AM »
One of the biggest breakthroughs I had in life was realizing that everyone else cares about me just as little as I care about them. I used to have really bad social anxiety as well (mmj helps a lot) and when i would start to get inside my own head I'd just kind of remind myself of that and try to laugh at myself for getting so worked up over nothing.

I guess it's really about perspective - having proper perspective is hard for modern humans but it's kind of essential to actually being happy and satisfied in my opinion. I know this sounds almost belittling but knowing just how insignificant you really are goes a long way. It's super empowering in its own way. Ego death and all that I guess.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2022, 12:04:45 PM »
Just got to be confident and remember skateboarding never been about what tricks you can do but how you feel riding your board. Who cares if some dudes going berserk trying to one up your every move, that just means they feel intimidated by you or want to prove themselves to you, or prove it to themselves maybe. Just have fun and do your thing. I know it’s easier said then done.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2022, 01:14:17 PM »
You can spend your whole life trying to impress people but once you're dead they'll forget who you were -Somebody

That being said I still don't know how to introduce myself. We all got our problems let's be friends about them

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2022, 03:14:32 PM »
One of the biggest breakthroughs I had in life was realizing that everyone else cares about me just as little as I care about them. I used to have really bad social anxiety as well (mmj helps a lot) and when i would start to get inside my own head I'd just kind of remind myself of that and try to laugh at myself for getting so worked up over nothing.

I guess it's really about perspective - having proper perspective is hard for modern humans but it's kind of essential to actually being happy and satisfied in my opinion. I know this sounds almost belittling but knowing just how insignificant you really are goes a long way. It's super empowering in its own way. Ego death and all that I guess.

I don't really experience much social anxiety anymore, meditation and a very, very intense LSD experience in October 2020, kinda beat it on down the line. Kinda feels like I grew out of it for the most part, for now... It does however, become prevalent again if I smoke too much weed and try to go skate. I remember the days of matching blunts and going to the skatepark. wtf... 3 blunts and going to skate among a crowd of people hahahah now I just don't really skate with a bunch of people anyways, so I don't know if this is even relevant
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

skateboardgeek

• Rep: 0
    • Brand avatar image
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2022, 11:37:35 PM »
Skate on your own when no one is watching you and get better - skate in public with everyone when you feel confident.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2022, 12:16:18 AM »
I was afraid to skate in the public when I first came back to skating but gradually this got better and now I don‘t mind. I skate a full parking lot with cars and dudes coming and going. Of course it is embarrassing eating shit in front of people but what can you do?

As has been said above, most people could care less what an old dude on a skateboard is inflicting himself and those who do are mostly sympathetic or encouraging, bar some edgy teens telling you to kickflip.

However I noticed that I often bail on tricks when I know people are actually watching/observing me (as opposed to just casually look at me/have me in their line of sight without caring). This seems to somehow distract me subconsciously.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2022, 01:24:09 AM »
People ARE going to watch you, and they probably WILL form some kind of impression/opinion about you.

But that impression/opinion is based solely on a few minutes of half-hearted observations. It doesn’t come anywhere close to the full reality of you are going through. The injuries you have, the shit you are going through, maybe even the fit of your shoes.

They can’t possibly come to a meaningful conclusion about your skating, they can’t possibly have enough information to do so.

Which means their opinions are bullshit. They don’t matter. What matters is your own subjective experience of skating itself. And even that is subject to all sorts of distorting factors.

So anyone who is forming opinions about you and that slam you took on an easy trick, is deceiving themselves. You don’t need to worry about it. Because their view isn’t fully formed by the true reality.

And this is the same for each and every view you and I form without access to that much info. Which is pretty much everything. We are all making half-baked conclusions with a tiny fraction of available info.

We shouldn’t be taking it too seriously.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea