Author Topic: 4K cameras / general advice on upgrading from a DSLR setup  (Read 817 times)

tabby weed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
4K cameras / general advice on upgrading from a DSLR setup
« on: December 10, 2021, 12:39:03 PM »
Hey y'all, I'm wondering if I could get some advice. Up until now, I've been using a DSLR setup, and I'm thinking I want to get an actual camcorder. I see that a lot of folks here are using an HVX200 or an HPX170; I love the look of this footage, but I'm worried that dealing with P2 cards would be a pain.

I'm less attracted to the look of 4k footage, but the convenience of a newer camera, particularly in terms of importing the clips, is appealing to me. I'm looking at the Canon XA20; does anyone on here film with that camera or a similar one, and how does it look with a fisheye? Do newer cameras all suck?? Am I wasting my time looking into them?

Grateful for any help anyone can provide—thanks!

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 49
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
Re: 4K cameras / general advice on upgrading from a DSLR setup
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 01:01:21 AM »
some to check out are the DVX200, XF400 or 405, HC-X2000/CX-10, Z190...
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

suckmadeck

• Rep: 28
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 08:14:25 AM »
Check out the Black Magic 4k Pro. Solid camera, cheap and really good in low light.

moshandwallies

• Rep: -3
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2021, 01:57:47 AM »
I was worried about the same thing with the P2 cards, but just get a couple of 32gb or 64gb and you're good. also if you use premiere pro or some editing software it's very easy to import the clips, the only bad thing is that you need to export the specific clips that you want. of course with a newer camera will be easier as you plug your camera in your pc and got all the clips in a folder.

MR102889

• Rep: 30
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021, 07:28:16 AM »
I have a Panasonic Lumix GH5S and a Panasonic AG-DVX200. I use the GH5S for my fisheye camera (with a Canon fisheye using a Metabones adapter) while the DVX200 is my long lens. I love both of them in terms of footage quality and ease of importing footage. I absolutely hated dealing with P2 cards, hence why I switched over to cameras that use SD cards. Super easy to import footage.