Author Topic: The Nice Club  (Read 33675 times)

OldSkater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -49
Re: The Nice Club
« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2022, 04:51:17 AM »
It seems like by not having shows they're trying to force us all to watch their twitch streams and their Green room

its not gonna work. i watch nine club for video coverage, not to watch a bunch of grown men eat pizza

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2022, 07:47:03 AM »
Expand Quote
It seems like by not having shows they're trying to force us all to watch their twitch streams and their Green room
[close]

its not gonna work. i watch nine club for video coverage, not to watch a bunch of grown men eat pizza

Right! Like good for them but I can't/won't watching anyone content like that.

Who is the new guy behind the scenes? I hear him every now an again on the last 4-5 episodes? Tim? Who TF is he?

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2022, 08:10:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Always noticed that too. Steezus is always shaking his head in silent disbelief "how do you that, bro" when they watch clips. Come on, so many things in life impress you? Really? Really?
[close]
honestly i take it the opposite way a lot of the time. like when baker 4 dropped chris said “alright let’s talk about the new baker video” and steezus says ‘can we not?’ not sarcastically at all. i feel like he’s only impressed or into it when it’s a fresher dude skating. he honestly bothers me, he seems like he has the biggest ego out of anyone there by far when he has the least credentials in skateboarding and is the odd one out when compared to what the rest have actually done in skateboarding. who gives a shit about a self titled ‘steezus christ’ who is known for being a berrics personality? last episode they were talking about something along the lines of professionalism in skateboarding or how they got to be pros or something like that and his response was “well i just wasn’t as privileged” as if he had potential to be a professional skateboarder but, didn’t make it due to a racial stereotype while jeron is sitting right there having turned pro in the 90s when skateboarding was much more unaccepting? you grew up with malto, how were you not privileged? dude just can’t skateboard and seems bitter even though he makes money off of talking about something he never made it at. shits annoying.

Not a Steezus fan but it should be noted the "privilege" thing you're talking about was related to a discussion about board madness.  Steezus said he didn't have the luxury of freaking out over shapes and shit because he simply couldn't afford to.  Which is honestly something that is never talked about when professional skaters are like "Find your shape and stick with it maaan!" Like...sometimes you literally just skate what you can afford or what's given to you.  It was a good point that grounded the conversation away from how dramatic professional skaters are about their setups. 

OldSkater

« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2022, 07:55:46 AM »
Im am conflicted about the nine club lately because the Jason Ellis episode was awesome

but the latest nine club experience shows have been absolute dogshit, with almost zero video coverage

I know they are trying to entice people onto twitch or whatever to watch the "back nine" or whatever but that sucks imho

And the latest nine club, when they had the discussion on best skate shoes of all time, steezus names some truly ugly shoes

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2022, 08:23:21 AM »
it is not the kind of show that is worth going back ot the first episode and watching them all from the beginning. the first two episodes are really bad. id honestly just watch the episodes with your favorite pros and skip everything else. if its a skater that has already been done on epicly later or on video etc, then dont waste your time you wont learn anything new.
ONTARIO CANADA

Miller92

« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2022, 01:39:10 PM »
Im am conflicted about the nine club lately because the Jason Ellis episode was awesome

but the latest nine club experience shows have been absolute dogshit, with almost zero video coverage

I know they are trying to entice people onto twitch or whatever to watch the "back nine" or whatever but that sucks imho

And the latest nine club, when they had the discussion on best skate shoes of all time, steezus names some truly ugly shoes

The first Appleyard Circa
DC Lynx HE
Reynolds 3
Lakai model they just redid
KCK
That J-Wray shoe
Nike Koston 1
Es Accel

That was the majority of shoes they mentioned.  wtf are you talking about?

OldSkater

« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2022, 03:14:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The first Appleyard Circa
DC Lynx HE
Reynolds 3
Lakai model they just redid
KCK
That J-Wray shoe
Nike Koston 1
Es Accel

That was the majority of shoes they mentioned.  wtf are you talking about?

these lakais are butt ugly im sorry

TheDingus

« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2022, 03:50:04 PM »
Those lakai are gross. Agreed. But the majority of those on that list are good. Anyone remember the DC Rudy 2? I can only find one image online. Those were great. DC has so many good opportunities to reissue shoes and give us Black Sabbath crap. I mean who wouldn’t want a pair of plugs? Or Rick Howard’s?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2022, 03:56:16 PM »
Those lakai are gross. Agreed. But the majority of those on that list are good. Anyone remember the DC Rudy 2? I can only find one image online. Those were great. DC has so many good opportunities to reissue shoes and give us Black Sabbath crap. I mean who wouldn’t want a pair of plugs? Or Rick Howard’s?
It was probably done too soon but lakai actually made a shoe like the Howard's and pretty much nobody got them.
https://youtu.be/R0aeqUyoygE

TheDingus

« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2022, 04:01:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
It was probably done too soon but lakai actually made a shoe like the Howard's and pretty much nobody got them.
https://youtu.be/R0aeqUyoygE

Shit. I’m sure if they would have copied it exact it would have went. But if es is releasing the first koston again, couldn’t dc release the original Howard?

OldSkater

« Reply #130 on: January 27, 2022, 04:17:10 AM »

yeah i was specifically talking about steezus's picks. I remember he had another ugly one he was a fan of but i cant remember.

I'm pretty sure he named the DC lynx tho and I dont think that one is ugly at all

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #131 on: January 27, 2022, 07:44:56 AM »
You think that steezus dude has even skated in years? Or ever plans on skating again?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #132 on: January 27, 2022, 07:53:39 AM »
You think that steezus dude has even skated in years? Or ever plans on skating again?
He's got a bit of a Schr�ger's cat thing going on. If he never tries to skate again he will never know if he sucks or not

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
« Reply #133 on: January 27, 2022, 09:00:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Who is the new guy behind the scenes? I hear him every now an again on the last 4-5 episodes? Tim? Who TF is he?

Tim is hilarious and as knowledgeable as Rog, they need to put Tim in front of the camera. I get that these guys probably don't want to be in front of the camera every show but having the two best people behind the scenes kinda sucks tbh

OldSkater

« Reply #134 on: January 27, 2022, 10:00:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Tim is hilarious and as knowledgeable as Rog, they need to put Tim in front of the camera. I get that these guys probably don't want to be in front of the camera every show but having the two best people behind the scenes kinda sucks tbh

yes

the "total moron" to "knowledgeable insider" ratio is way off

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #135 on: January 27, 2022, 10:01:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

They did once and it was a shitshow. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but he doesn't need a mic.

But yeah, I've been noticing their Experience episodes are seemingly becoming less and less about skateboarding and more and more about themselves. I skimmed today's and from what I caught, the first was them talking about snacks, then they mentioned a couple new vides for a couple minutes, then went back to the talking about themselves.

TheDingus

« Reply #136 on: January 27, 2022, 10:24:21 AM »
Steezus doesn’t skate because of a back injury.

Monopolyman

« Reply #137 on: January 27, 2022, 11:04:24 AM »
I want to like Steezus because why not but I think he tries too hard and overcompensates for the fact he achieved the least in skating and is supposed to be best on camera / “know the most” - but the fact he will never be on the main show crossed with the fact that he isn’t encyclopedic about shit besides shoes like Roger and Tim make it uncomfortable to watch him operate

nickpaolucci

« Reply #138 on: January 27, 2022, 12:25:27 PM »
I want to like Steezus because why not but I think he tries too hard and overcompensates for the fact he achieved the least in skating and is supposed to be best on camera / “know the most” - but the fact he will never be on the main show crossed with the fact that he isn’t encyclopedic about shit besides shoes like Roger and Tim make it uncomfortable to watch him operate

With humble beginnings originating from Kansas City, MO, DeWayne "Steezus Christ" McMurry is a living expression of what life looks like when you stay true to what you believe in and pursue your dreams.

From manifesting some of the most extraordinary opportunities, to withholding the composure to battle through unfavorable situations, DeWayne has been a genuine inspiration to not only his peers and individuals around the world, but has truly influenced an entire culture and inspired the new generation.

As one of the most known unknowns in the world of skateboarding, DeWayne's association with The Berrics, one of the world's most visited skate websites, introduced the general public to the "Steezus Christ" brand. His infectious personality and good energy was undeniable, and his 'public debut' on The Berrics created a cult following, which compounded DeWayne's positive influence on the culture over night. DeWayne’s been an industry figurehead ever since, effectively producing and creating content behind the scenes, whilst simultaneously maintaining a strong on-camera presence.

With an unwavering desire for knowledge, a non-stop positive outlook on life, and a contagiously uplifting spirit, DeWayne has not only been the ideal ambassador for a bundle of industry-critical brands such as New Era, Skullcandy, eS Footwear, and The Berrics, but most notably has transcended the skateboard industry to become a notable figure in the sneaker world and streetwear culture.

Under his mantra of "Don't quit your day dream", DeWayne is a reminder to all that dreams do come true and a lifestyle can become your job. DeWayne is a reflection of patience, persistence and conviction, of which he stayed true to himself and his beliefs. Thus, resulting in a character who is well-known globally for his passion to continue growing skateboarding ethically, and keeping kids all around the world uplifted and inspired.

DeWayne is one of the most recognizable digital media profiles in the industry, and is blessed to travel the world and engage the youth, investing his time simply to remind kids and his admirers not to quit their day dream. That said, it's clear that DeWayne’s ability to inspire others simply through his inherent character and way of living is due to his conscious efforts to stay grounded, and most importantly, spend time to reflect. This can be seen on a weekly basis on the globally recognized podcast, The Nine Club Experience.

DeWayne's delivery, both verbally and in action, is a demonstration that qualifies he lives by the advice he gives. Unquestionably respected by his peers, associates and corporate partners, DeWayne is a pure "by-product" of what a wholesome life in skate-boarding can create if one stays true to themselves and the culture that raised them.  DeWayne’s embodiment of this testament is what makes him so valuable to the industry, of which he stands to become a legacy-profile that will never be forgotten.

TheDingus

« Reply #139 on: January 27, 2022, 01:03:37 PM »
DeWayne "Steezus Christ" McMurry is a living expression of what life looks like when you stay true to what you believe in and pursue your dreams.

Wonder if they called him McFlurry in grade school

Miller92

« Reply #140 on: January 27, 2022, 01:17:18 PM »
DeWayne "Steezus Christ" McMurry is a living expression of what life looks like when you stay true to what you believe in and pursue your dreams.

pretty sure he went by "Thug Nasty" before steezus christ.  i may be wrong but I'm pretty sure

Monopolyman

« Reply #141 on: January 27, 2022, 01:32:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

pretty sure he went by "Thug Nasty" before steezus christ.  i may be wrong but I'm pretty sure

He should really rebrand to DeWayne McMurry.  Continuing to call yourself Christ because you’re a dozen years, a bunch of Berrics videos and about 150 Nine Club Experience episodes into claiming the namesake of some people’s lord and savior is the definition of sunk cost fallacy.  Being your authentic self is in these days.  At least he isn’t chasing trends I guess

gogiants69

• Rep: 4
« Reply #142 on: January 27, 2022, 09:07:19 PM »
Compared to other YouTube shows / podcasts w/ video component, does the Nine Club "do well?"  Chris Roberts admits his admiration for Howard Stern and Joe Rogan.  Using the population of skateboarders as a proxy, are their numbers legit to make money off non-endemic sponsors?  Who listens to Stern and Rogan?  What's that demo?  On the rogan front, is MMA REALLY that important to everyone but me?

It was a surprise to me that Kelly admitted making $1500 for 3 instagram posts for some skate app.  Seemed honest and potentially risky.

I also rewind budget or buttery and laugh my ass off to Jeron talking about "... They forgot... They forgot" when he bought a big ass TV and didn't receive a bill until 4 months after purchase.  That's some great delivery.

OldSkater

« Reply #143 on: January 28, 2022, 04:41:09 AM »
Compared to other YouTube shows / podcasts w/ video component, does the Nine Club "do well?"  Chris Roberts admits his admiration for Howard Stern and Joe Rogan.  Using the population of skateboarders as a proxy, are their numbers legit to make money off non-endemic sponsors?  Who listens to Stern and Rogan?  What's that demo?  On the rogan front, is MMA REALLY that important to everyone but me?

It was a surprise to me that Kelly admitted making $1500 for 3 instagram posts for some skate app.  Seemed honest and potentially risky.

I also rewind budget or buttery and laugh my ass off to Jeron talking about "... They forgot... They forgot" when he bought a big ass TV and didn't receive a bill until 4 months after purchase.  That's some great delivery.

i hate to burst your bubble, but every single moron in the universe watches either stern or rogan. their viewership is insanely high.

just to give you an idea, buying an ad on rogan's show costs about a million dollars

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #144 on: January 28, 2022, 06:01:04 AM »
I just checked their Twitch and their numbers are not that good. Their most viewed stream is like 2k people, which for a relevant comparison, that Gifted Hater kid also does Twitch and one of his lowest streams is about 2k people.

I feel like they're spreading themselves too thin if they're actually trying to garner attention. Looks like when they upload the streams back to YouTube it does better, but why split it up at all? Especially if both shows are essentially just them sitting around talking to each other eating snacks?

headtowall

• Rep: -13
« Reply #145 on: January 28, 2022, 06:26:56 AM »
I just checked their Twitch and their numbers are not that good. Their most viewed stream is like 2k people, which for a relevant comparison, that Gifted Hater kid also does Twitch and one of his lowest streams is about 2k people.

I feel like they're spreading themselves too thin if they're actually trying to garner attention. Looks like when they upload the streams back to YouTube it does better, but why split it up at all? Especially if both shows are essentially just them sitting around talking to each other eating snacks?
You make more money from twitch than YT. A lot of people do streams there then upload back to youtube

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 66
« Reply #146 on: January 28, 2022, 06:52:05 AM »
Compared to other YouTube shows / podcasts w/ video component, does the Nine Club "do well?"  Chris Roberts admits his admiration for Howard Stern and Joe Rogan.  Using the population of skateboarders as a proxy, are their numbers legit to make money off non-endemic sponsors?  Who listens to Stern and Rogan?  What's that demo? On the rogan front, is MMA REALLY that important to everyone but me?

Rogans podcast isnt just about MMA, surprisingly he holds a decent conversation with most of his guests and their interests

Episodes are usually entertaining. IMO its boring as shit now that he lives in Texas so I havent listened since his last Elon Musk interview

That interview was fucking awful but insightful

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #147 on: January 28, 2022, 06:54:29 AM »
steezus shouted out my friend outta nowhere so that was cool of him

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #148 on: January 28, 2022, 06:55:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
You make more money from twitch than YT. A lot of people do streams there then upload back to youtube

Sure, but if your main attraction on Twitch is at odd hours and it's more or less the same thing they do on YouTube anyway, then it's not very lucrative. I'm not even trying to be negative, but as far as I can tell their main Twitch show is basically just the Experience pt 2, and even on YouTube it doesn't seem to get anywhere near the amount of views as the main show.

Their live YouTube show and their live Twitch show feel like two halves of one show.

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 66
« Reply #149 on: January 28, 2022, 07:17:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Sure, but if your main attraction on Twitch is at odd hours and it's more or less the same thing they do on YouTube anyway, then it's not very lucrative. I'm not even trying to be negative, but as far as I can tell their main Twitch show is basically just the Experience pt 2, and even on YouTube it doesn't seem to get anywhere near the amount of views as the main show.

Their live YouTube show and their live Twitch show feel like two halves of one show.

Their Twitch is more to interact with their audience and answer questions and stuff. They end uo making money from pledges and donations so why not increase your revenue more if you have the option you know?

I know its fun for some of you to trash the nine club but with their twitch they get to build their community and make a little more coin at the same time

I wont be tuning in but i say good for them and their supporters who take whatever value they can from it

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.