Author Topic: Microphones  (Read 711 times)

dipped

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Microphones
« on: December 11, 2021, 12:09:25 AM »
Just got back into filming and i’m looking to get a microphone. Don’t really want to spend the money on the vx mic at the moment. Also i don’t really need my footage to sound like vx footage. So far i looked into the sennheiser mke200 or the sony ms907 any footage with those would be highly appreciated or if there are any other options in a similar price range.

Beltran

Re: Microphones
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 03:26:23 AM »
I think that the microphone is not the biggest issue with skate sounds.

What camera are you recording with? If you are with a mirrorless or DSLR you will have to be sure that you have anything like automatic gain control or limiter turned off if the option is available.   That is what makes the sound of skateboarding so bad. For example, every DC video ( I think that they are recorded with Sony A7 https://youtu.be/0P1fm6pDAkc?t=239) sounds like farts. You can't have a trick down 10 stairs that sounds like a bad trick on flat.

I think that the Wooden Camera is far from being a good replica of the VX sound because it doesn't matter how good it is if your camera has bad preamps, converters or a limiter. If you ask me, the Rode Video Micro that cost 50$,  sounds much better than the Wooden Camera Vx Mic. Here is a sample recorded with a Gh5 and Meike 6.5 Fisheye.

dipped

Re: Microphones
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 09:35:35 AM »
I think that the microphone is not the biggest issue with skate sounds.

What camera are you recording with? If you are with a mirrorless or DSLR you will have to be sure that you have anything like automatic gain control or limiter turned off if the option is available.   That is what makes the sound of skateboarding so bad. For example, every DC video ( I think that they are recorded with Sony A7 https://youtu.be/0P1fm6pDAkc?t=239) sounds like farts. You can't have a trick down 10 stairs that sounds like a bad trick on flat.

I think that the Wooden Camera is far from being a good replica of the VX sound because it doesn't matter how good it is if your camera has bad preamps, converters or a limiter. If you ask me, the Rode Video Micro that cost 50$,  sounds much better than the Wooden Camera Vx Mic. Here is a sample recorded with a Gh5 and Meike 6.5 Fisheye.

Sounds dope! Thank you! I am using a sony ax700.