Author Topic: Gear tweaking for razortailed decks  (Read 2475 times)

OldCandy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Gear tweaking for razortailed decks
« on: May 20, 2021, 08:55:35 PM »
i always skate my decks normal and backwards until the kicks are whittled flat.

i do notice a lack of pop and everything else feeling like shit, are there any gear tweaks that will get it back to feeling tolerable? (truck wb, smaller wheels, loose/tight) idk

thanks/
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

Frank and Fred

Re: Gear tweaking for razortailed decks
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 09:00:53 PM »
I don't have any. By the time my decks are razored they are often lifeless anyway.

In saying that I am currently skating a creature 'power ply' that has carbon inserts in the razor zone and I can tell you that shite works. The carbon layers keep things nice and crispy as the maple wears away.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 09:06:59 PM »
Don't think there is any gear tweak that will fix a shitty deck other than just buying a new one. Wish boards lasted longer

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1952
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 10:11:49 PM »
In saying that I am currently skating a creature 'power ply' that has carbon inserts in the razor zone and I can tell you that shite works. The carbon layers keep things nice and crispy as the maple wears away.

The tech seems to work pretty well, my buddy got one a month ago and its held up pretty well considering he still skates gaps and does lots of scrape-y tricks (360 flips). Didn't slow down razor tail but the deck still felt good despite the wear.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 01:23:27 PM »
Definitely don't recommend this, but theoretically you could:

1. Decide you only want to skate the tail, or choose the nose as your new tail (probably smarter).
2. Grind/sand away razor tail for some fresher pop feel
3. Use a truck that shortens the wheelbase on your tail and a different truck that lengthens the wheelbase on your nose. This doesn't compensate that your tail is now pretty short, but should make it feel a bit better. The trucks should be the same height of course.

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 08:11:57 PM »
has anybody tried wood glue?

when i used to skate to spots i'd ride the board backwards to avoid razor tail if i had to ollie up a curb or over something. this way you wouldn't have to skate the board one way for a period of time and then the other
or try to skate nollie more or switch and use the nose to pop because it wouldn't throw you off as much as skating regular stance with the board backwards. bonus is you make better use of your shoes as well
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 08:25:45 PM by anon »

OldCandy

• cant shuv
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 08:26:52 PM »
i throw down my board whicher way anyways I wish lithe skateboards got big and released a pricepoint already...

looks like its gonna power ollies for me

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2021, 09:41:42 PM »
Not necessarily what you're looking for but a tip from @stets for keeping a board from razoring a little longer:

Expand Quote
My ice box is a few boards deep and I can afford to buy new boards at the moment.
But, saw someone use some sort of Gorilla Wood Glue to prevent razor tail.
[close]

If I really love a board, I will use a thin formula of superglue to keep a tail going longer.

The thin stuff really wicks into the wood pores and hardens it up a bit. But this only works on raw wood, so I do it after a week or two of skating. It kinda adds some more pop as well as the durability, thanks to the wicking.

Have not tried, might on my current Polar 8.5" since I like it so much. Gorilla makes super glue with a brush applicator.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2021, 10:09:24 PM »
Not necessarily what you're looking for but a tip from @stets for keeping a board from razoring a little longer:

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My ice box is a few boards deep and I can afford to buy new boards at the moment.
[close]

If I really love a board, I will use a thin formula of superglue to keep a tail going longer.

The thin stuff really wicks into the wood pores and hardens it up a bit. But this only works on raw wood, so I do it after a week or two of skating. It kinda adds some more pop as well as the durability, thanks to the wicking.
[close]

Have not tried, might on my current Polar 8.5" since I like it so much. Gorilla makes super glue with a brush applicator.

I’ve got a board I like that much right now: ps 8.5. Bought another ps, but fucked up and this one on deck has the the 14.38 looking wb, and is slightly longer. Blah blah, want to find 8.5 short ps. In the meantime will try the glue

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2021, 09:12:30 AM »
Oh neat, I got quoted across threads!

I think replacing grip helps. I remember being younger and I would grind my board on the spot so the razor tail would go away. But I think changing grip and using the excess grip to sand out the razor may help. Eventually you’ll go to far and it’ll be time for a new one.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2021, 01:54:56 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I’ve got a board I like that much right now: ps 8.5. Bought another ps, but fucked up and this one on deck has the the 14.38 looking wb, and is slightly longer. Blah blah, want to find 8.5 short ps. In the meantime will try the glue

Get the thinnest stuff you can. Sometimes those brush-on ones can be too gel-like and don't soak into the wood, more just sit on top like a weaker epoxy coating.

On that note, original JB Weld is an epoxy paste worth using if your tail is razored to hell and you want to keep the board going. It's light gray after sanding to shape, and has steel in it for strength. I used to do rebuild tails with it all the time when I was a kid and didn't have money for new boards. Their $5 small tube set is usually good enough for one or two tails depending.

Put masking tape around the profile of the tail, to create the wall to form the epoxy (unless it's chipped or razored past 2/3 of the plies, then you might have to "back it" too.

Mix up even parts of JB Weld and plop some into the razortail area, moodge it right up against the tape. Lean it so that the repair area is level with the floor, so the curing JB Weld doesn't slide due to gravity.

Let sit about 15 hours, peel off the tape, and sand it back to a uniform rounded edge profile. You sand the larger flat surface to even that up and make it a lighter gray versus the shiny dark grey the surface skin cures as.

Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

phlap

• Rep: 8
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2021, 03:23:59 AM »
It's super low-effort, but just sanding down the tail to round it out again seems to help a lot.
-Summer of George-

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1077
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2021, 06:14:10 AM »
It's super low-effort, but just sanding down the tail to round it out again seems to help a lot.

What I used to do as a kid was rub the tail on smooth mortar in between bricks. If you press hard when you rub you can compress the wood and bring back just a tiny bit of pop. I used to get my tail as smooth as glass using this method.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2021, 10:23:52 PM »
why do you think your deck razor tails? like what could you adjust about your skating to make the wear on you deck more even? i like the idea of skating switch and nollie more to even out the ear. I turn my boards around when I do shuv its and certain flip tricks and that helps even out the wear. Maybe try and pop more off the nose instead of always popping off the tail, and then switching to the nose down the line. Maybe also try and skate on smoother concrete, although not always possible. Also learn to throw down your boards straight to your wheels instead of dragging the tail

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2021, 09:15:45 AM »
I'm a dragger.....backside slappies where I got in back toe scrape....back 180 fakie 50-50....impos...big spin.  Something I don't do but it might help mitigate is wax my tail....or try and pop? 

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2021, 10:08:19 AM »
hack it off with a saw and now you have a super cool freestyle board

OldCandy

• cant shuv
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2021, 10:10:19 AM »
why do you think your deck razor tails? like what could you adjust about your skating to make the wear on you deck more even? i like the idea of skating switch and nollie more to even out the ear. I turn my boards around when I do shuv its and certain flip tricks and that helps even out the wear. Maybe try and pop more off the nose instead of always popping off the tail, and then switching to the nose down the line. Maybe also try and skate on smoother concrete, although not always possible. Also learn to throw down your boards straight to your wheels instead of dragging the tail

i throw down my board whichever way I just pop a lot and really hard and frankly imma broke kid

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1010
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2021, 10:19:38 AM »

onkalo

• Rep: 28
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2021, 03:24:23 PM »
One way to ”fix” a razortailed board could be sawing/sanding the razor tail off, then drilling new holes for mounting the back truck a little bit forwards if it feels like the tail is too short. Might work if you don’t mind that your wheelbase gets bit shorter. I’ve never tried, but just thought it could work. Next time when I have razor tail, I’m gonna try that...

The.Skate.Father

• Rep: 42
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2021, 03:52:07 PM »
One way to ”fix” a razortailed board could be sawing/sanding the razor tail off, then drilling new holes for mounting the back truck a little bit forwards if it feels like the tail is too short. Might work if you don’t mind that your wheelbase gets bit shorter. I’ve never tried, but just thought it could work. Next time when I have razor tail, I’m gonna try that...

I did this recently with a Polar P9 which got razored. Worked well, was 8.625 32.5 WB14.5 down to 8.625 31 WB14

Just call me Daddy.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2021, 10:28:08 PM »
Replacing the grip like @mynameisnotjeff suggested helps a lot. I do it on almost every board I have. Feels like it’s brand new but even better as it’s broken in already. Of course this won’t work forever.

One thing I’ve thought of is reshaping the tail. I’ve got a 9.25 Antihero BA shape that I’ve regripped 4 times now. The tail is very square and kinda long so there’s a lot to work with. I love this board so much. Probably my favorite board ever so maybe I’ll try to get some more life out of it once I’ve gotten my new home in order.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2021, 01:01:08 AM »

I like skating a board until I am happy and done, without modifications or trying to extend the life, usually passing it on to someone else, who might in turn pass it on to someone else again, if it is still in one piece, or come back to go to someone else to do some art thing with or put on the wall on occasion too.

The two things I have seen people do, both of which have been mentioned at some point in other threads or here, which works and is good if you are keen.

Epoxy / glue or something just on the end of the tail, especially used by some guys I know who skate Powell flight boards to keep it a bit more fresh, seeing as most of those guys never break boards anyway, but they like the flight boards for whatever reason, so they put the slimmest line just on the end of the tail whenever it wears a bit, which keeps their boards going for a long, long time.

The other one, which was way more fun to me, was when someone was done with the board, usually the tail worn down and nose still fairly fresh looking, was turn it around and cut it down, even just a tiny bit to make a shaped cruiser or "fun board" which lots of the kids we skate with had almost more fun on than their normal board.  Given the kids didn't mind what the concave was like, they could easily skate the noses of the boards without it feeling funny, so we would often just cut the worn tail just a little or do something to make it look more like a stubby nose, maybe re grip if needed then set them up or even pass them on to the kids to ride as their normal board, in some cases.

Some of those boards lasted so much longer for those kids than for the guy who skated them first, so it was good to do something a little creative, as well as supply kids with fun boards, which helped everyone.  Most of the kids were more beginners / transition based so they loved them, but even some of the better kids said they liked the "fun boards" better than a normal board anyway.

Spot selection can have a huge impact on how long a board will last too.  If it is crusty concrete, you could go through a layer every session, which means a board will last about a week at most before needing to change it out, as per some places and people I know.

Not sure how or when it started, but having your board pop off the nose for pop shovits as the first trick in the line seemed to come about around the same time as lines were being filmed (definitely mid 90s for us growing up), so I got so used to doing that it almost feels funny doing them off the tail nowdays, but that alone should help the board last a little longer too.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2021, 03:29:34 AM »
My dad used to sand down my razored nose/ tails to give them some more life, might have been a placebo effect but it always seemed to make a difference to my 13 year old self

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2021, 02:02:58 PM »
My dad used to sand down my razored nose/ tails to give them some more life, might have been a placebo effect but it always seemed to make a difference to my 13 year old self

I do that quite often too, more so for the kids who look like they are about to go from four or so layers worn to a big old chip in the kick, which does help the board to last longer and keep a crispier sound.

The kicks do get shorter and shorter, but are still good up to a point, so it definitely works.

Jowiththeflow

• Rep: 18
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2021, 02:33:04 PM »
Put on smaller wheels if ghostpoppin gets an issue. Or if you run risers take 'em off when about half your tail is gone.

I just found out that you can control your "popangle" with a smartphone. Personally I like to keep it around 36°.

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2021, 08:58:05 PM »
Not a tweak at all but I skate my boards until they literally break under my feet. I like to imagine I'm getting better at skating overall using a busted ass board, and then when I get a new one it's a miraculous contrast. In all honesty, I'm probably stifling myself skating a soggy and cracked board, but I just don't feel right setting up a new deck if I can still roll on my old one.