Author Topic: Skating Switch?  (Read 986 times)

shadmaanchowdhury

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Skating Switch?
« on: June 10, 2023, 09:17:21 PM »
Hello friends.
I'm Shadman, a beginner skater with ollies, shuvs, and front 180s.
In my 90 minute sesssions, I would say I ride around switch for about 10 in the 90 minutes. My question for the Slap Community is are there any ways to become more comfortable riding switch? Many people compare it to learning how to ride a board for the first time; However I feel so uncomfortable riding switch and at the same time I would like these tricks I can do relatively easily to be done switch. Any tips help a beginner, I just wish to be able to keep learning this mind body connection between a piece of wood and machine.
Thank you for your time, hope you guys have great sessions!!

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
Re: Skating Switch?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2023, 01:38:34 AM »
Maybe start with skating nollie and fakie. Fakie gets you used to going backwards/riding the other way, nollie gets you used to using your feet the opposite way. Combine them and you get switch

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2023, 01:58:35 AM »
How did you learn your regular tricks? Are there ways to become more comfortable riding regular?
Do the same thing.
It's that easy

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2023, 10:24:54 AM »
Hello friends.
I'm Shadman, a beginner skater with ollies, shuvs, and front 180s.
In my 90 minute sesssions, I would say I ride around switch for about 10 in the 90 minutes. My question for the Slap Community is are there any ways to become more comfortable riding switch? Many people compare it to learning how to ride a board for the first time; However I feel so uncomfortable riding switch and at the same time I would like these tricks I can do relatively easily to be done switch. Any tips help a beginner, I just wish to be able to keep learning this mind body connection between a piece of wood and machine.
Thank you for your time, hope you guys have great sessions!!

???

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1392
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2023, 10:46:59 AM »
We got some AI up in slap???

But hey i decided to lesrn how to skate switch not long ago. Just go skate, learn how to ride switch, pushing, carving etc. trix will come
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2023, 03:16:31 PM »
It is just like skating your normal stance. The more you do it, the easier it gets. As far as teaching your legs to pop in reverse, learning nollies helped significantly cuz you are still rolling in your stance.

I landed my first ever sw wallie yesterday and it felt so sick.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2023, 10:02:10 PM »
Ive spent years working on my flat ground switch flips and I'm finally starting to get em. Nothing to it but to do it. You already know the motions regular, do those same motions

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2023, 01:32:31 PM »
One thing that helps with switch ledge/rail tricks is to think of it as a switch ollie into something regular/fakie that you can already do.

Eg: switch 5-0 is a switch ollie into a fakie nosegrind, switch tail is a switch ollie into a regular noseslide, switch 180 nosegrind is a switch 180 into a regular back 5-0 etc etc. So if you know how to do the second part regular, you just have to have a consistent, predictable switch ollie and some confidence

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2023, 03:15:19 AM »
One thing that helps with switch ledge/rail tricks is to think of it as a switch ollie into something regular/fakie that you can already do.

Eg: switch 5-0 is a switch ollie into a fakie nosegrind, switch tail is a switch ollie into a regular noseslide, switch 180 nosegrind is a switch 180 into a regular back 5-0 etc etc. So if you know how to do the second part regular, you just have to have a consistent, predictable switch ollie and some confidence

Going to try this for sure.

changed1

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2023, 04:45:38 PM »
Start by learning to throw down switch. Then give a few awkward pushes until you’re doing grown man switch pushes. Push all around the skatepark and the areas by where you live. Then learn to switch ollie. Dont waste your time learning switch tricks standing still. Do them rolling, you already know how to do it regular so it should come faster. Do a billion moving switch Ollie’s until the pop and timing becomes second nature. Then practice switch flip and heel flick motions. Learn how to jumó straight up over your board. When skating swicth it’s easy to want to throw the shoulders awkwardly or jump away but you’ll never get a good pop or land on it that way. Spin the board around and do a few nollie variations too. It’s a long process but this is the way. Learn how to ride in to transition and drop in switch too.

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 136
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2023, 09:21:24 AM »
total bro science here: when im skating someplace and the path im taking is going up a hill or any incline, I will go switch stance and push up the incline switch, to strengthen/stabilize my switch leg muscles. and its a great way to stay in shape

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2023, 06:22:22 AM »
Force yourself to lean over (put your weight over) your switch front leg when you roll switch. At first you'll feel super weak and it'll feel unnatural but just force yourself. More specifically use tightening your core muscles to get the weight of your pelvis over your switch front leg. The more you skate like this the stronger you will get.

1. Learn to carve switch frontside and backside like this (holding your weight over your switch front leg).
2. Learn to push switch holding your weight over your switch front leg.
3. Learn to do a switch ollie holding your weight over your switch front leg during the whole motion from start to finish, especially the landing. Keep those core muscles tight on your leading side to glue your pelvis on that switch front leg.

By this you will get the hang of it. Then all switch skating will open up to you.

The potentially bad part of this advice is that many people think switch skating should not look like regular skating, i.e. you should not lean over your switch front leg when skating switch. But once you get the hang of it you can then fake the back leaning switch steeze when needed  8)