Author Topic: New Ace AF1 *Low* announced  (Read 40640 times)

toe_knee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
Re: New Ace AF1 *Low* announced
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2021, 03:50:52 PM »
Expand Quote
My guess is they are trying to get that slappy demo locked before anyone else puts out a low truck that can turn correctly
[close]

Is that a thing? I'm an old fart who skates curbs with a dozen other old farts. Nearly everyone is skating Indy or Ace, but no one has low trucks, or has ever even mentioned low trucks. I skate standard Indys and I've never once thought I would slappy better with a lower truck.

I’m not sure in reality man, lower center of gravitymaybe? I just was just kinda talking out my ass
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2021, 03:54:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My guess is they are trying to get that slappy demo locked before anyone else puts out a low truck that can turn correctly
[close]

Is that a thing? I'm an old fart who skates curbs with a dozen other old farts. Nearly everyone is skating Indy or Ace, but no one has low trucks, or has ever even mentioned low trucks. I skate standard Indys and I've never once thought I would slappy better with a lower truck.
[close]

i learned frontside slappies on 49mm trucks (thunder 147 lights are around that height i think). the old royals are like 50mm and i can slappy those fine too. not sure if a lower trucks is better at all, but eh once you know how to do them anything works imo.

i'll probably grab the 44s when they come out. anyone have an idea on a release date?

Yeah, I'm sure it's possible to learn them on any truck. I just mean that I've not heard anyone in the slappy crowd say "gotta get those lows!"
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2021, 04:48:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i learned frontside slappies on 49mm trucks (thunder 147 lights are around that height i think). the old royals are like 50mm and i can slappy those fine too. not sure if a lower trucks is better at all, but eh once you know how to do them anything works imo.

i'll probably grab the 44s when they come out. anyone have an idea on a release date?
[close]

Yeah, I'm sure it's possible to learn them on any truck. I just mean that I've not heard anyone in the slappy crowd say "gotta get those lows!"

I’m a slappy dude and skate thunders but do so simply because I like being lower to the ground, not because I think they make slappys easier.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2021, 05:09:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I’m a slappy dude and skate thunders but do so simply because I like being lower to the ground, not because I think they make slappys easier.

Makes sense, you gonna get these?
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2021, 06:04:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Makes sense, you gonna get these?

Considering it. I think I’ll just chill for a bit until I see what other people think before I buy. If I hear good things and my local has the 22s I’ll probably try out.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 992
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2021, 06:04:13 PM »
As a fan of the ACE03, the draw here is that you get a carvey low truck (like Mini Logo...but better ;)) but with less wheelbite than other low trucks, that's the beauty of the ACE geo; I ran them with Bones Hards and they were fucking amazing.

I'm in deep with the Royals at 52mm, not sure I *need* to go any lower tho.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2021, 08:04:30 PM »
As a fan of the ACE03, the draw here is that you get a carvey low truck (like Mini Logo...but better ;)) but with less wheelbite than other low trucks, that's the beauty of the ACE geo; I ran them with Bones Hards and they were fucking amazing.

They beat Venture to the punch by releasing a low truck in larger sizes.

And I concur on the Royals, those rock and I foresee myself sticking on them for the next few decks. Gradually shifting my stack to decks with 14.25 WB, maybe 14.38.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2021, 08:30:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
id say guinea pigged if anything
talked to a dlxsf rep 1yr ago and they couldnt properly gauge the interest in low ventures over 5.2 (even tho i want em)
id assume if the af1 low does well they might go for it
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

pops

• Rep: 239
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2021, 11:18:11 PM »
Honestly I'd just be happy with an Ace classic in 8.75. Don't need low, hollow or even AF1. Just a bog standard 60 Classic.

If anything, I'd also be happy even with classic 8.75. What would be it called, Ace 50s? Even better if they made those Af1 60's, hollow or not.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2021, 11:20:20 PM »
Like venture going high, I suspect it came from feedback of riders and market demand.  It ticks a lot of boxes.  Lighter, shrinks the wheel base, low but the geo will likely be set back a bit for a balanced pop….decent clearance.  Better marketing than a lot of newer trucks. 

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 849
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2021, 04:08:35 AM »
Now THIS is what I've been waiting for. I will definitely be grabbing these as soon as humanly possible.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2021, 05:30:45 AM »
What turns a lot of people off aces is the fear of wobblyness so making lows might get a different range of customers. (I assume lows are still considered to be more stable)

Also I see these being popular in japan

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2021, 06:06:14 AM »
I'm here for this.

I've gone back and forth between Venture and Ace for a few years now, currently fully Awake, but these will be purchased no doubt. I love how low and wide feels.

logjammin

• Rep: 334
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2021, 06:18:48 AM »
But you can't turn....

LebowskisRug

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2021, 07:02:20 AM »
Like venture going high, I suspect it came from feedback of riders and market demand.  It ticks a lot of boxes.  Lighter, shrinks the wheel base, low but the geo will likely be set back a bit for a balanced pop….decent clearance.  Better marketing than a lot of newer trucks.

Venture went to the low end of high since high trucks are like 98% of the market. I could see these maybe competing with Thunder 147s tho.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2021, 07:10:10 AM »
So 2022 is going to be even weirder than 2021 then yeah?

Honestly surprised they didn’t try to first work on some improvements on the AF1 or at least some products (I.e. pivot cups) that would solve some of the issues people are having with them.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Carter

• Rep: -1
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2021, 07:24:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Anybody else sees how deep the top bushing is sitting or do I see that wrong?
If it is anywhere near the thunder 147 pop feel, turns and has some kingpin clearance that would be great.
[close]
just based off where the axles sit i doubt they pop like thunders despite the height difference
my thunder lights are 49mm axle clearing so im guessing they would feel the same

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2021, 08:43:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
talked to a dlxsf rep 1yr ago and they couldnt properly gauge the interest in low ventures over 5.2 (even tho i want em)

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2021, 08:58:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

Haahaha
Perfect.
5.2 lo’s the goat
Young person at the skate shop was aghast: ‘we skate a lot of street, so I need like minimum, 55-56mm wheels’.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2021, 11:59:08 AM »
So would these be the trucks Christian Maalouf posted on his stories last month? Doesn't strike me as a low trucks kind of guy but who knows.

Christian Maalouf posted the hollows today

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2198
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2021, 01:18:22 PM »
My’pologies if anybody’s already asked  this, but how would these low baseplates interface with standard AF1 or even Classic geos?
Asking with a mind toward a) potentially reducing kingpin height/grind clearance w/o having to deal w/ the usual IKP issues, and b) getting a hollow pin out the deal while we’re at it.
If Ace sells replacement plates for these like they have with the Classics, AND they work together with their other hangers, AND I can run standard bottom bush w/ low tops to keep the nut’s threads engaged, well… what’s to keep me from Frankentrucking my way to a better Ace?
I’ve got to be missing something here, right?
Help me out with this, y’all.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2021, 02:19:00 PM »
My’pologies if anybody’s already asked  this, but how would these low baseplates interface with standard AF1 or even Classic geos?
Asking with a mind toward a) potentially reducing kingpin height/grind clearance w/o having to deal w/ the usual IKP issues, and b) getting a hollow pin out the deal while we’re at it.
If Ace sells replacement plates for these like they have with the Classics, AND they work together with their other hangers, AND I can run standard bottom bush w/ low tops to keep the nut’s threads engaged, well… what’s to keep me from Frankentrucking my way to a better Ace?

Probably have to wait until they're in hands to get a definitive answer, but the previous lows were not interchangeable with standards. I'm pretty sure on that, but I'm willing to be wrong. I think with the completely different bushings between standards and lows there's incompatibility in the geometry. Definitely not like newer Indy's where things can be swapped.

edit: just talking about Classics.

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2021, 02:33:51 PM »
according to euro distributor this lows are pretty much:

- hollow kingping
- af1 hangers
- height reduction comes from baseplate (so throwing an 1/8 riser would make them more or less your current ace height)

beign an ace classic aficionado if they made a classic 60 i would cop no doubt

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 992
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2021, 01:14:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

And I concur on the Royals, those rock and I foresee myself sticking on them for the next few decks. Gradually shifting my stack to decks with 14.25 WB, maybe 14.38.

I'm still running the royals in a 14.33ish WB and it's great, tho I think that's more me needing a longer wb rather than the Royals. Great combo tho.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2021, 05:35:10 PM »

I think you would have to check pics but they look comparable so could easily play mix and match, as I have done with all versions of Indy trucks, when I had them to try.

Looking for spec pics I know I have seen before, but even just looking at the Classics, I would say you could possibly interchange them, but would have to wait until you have the product in your hands to get the true assessment.

Should have just cropped out the side view, but it is easy enough to open in a separate window and compare pics on a computer.

EDIT - Found a better pic of the classics but still looking for a good profile pic of the normal AF1 trucks:

EDIT 2 - found a good AF1 pic:

Pic from first page:

« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 05:53:04 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

chihuahuadad2000

• Rep: 26
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2021, 07:05:04 PM »
I got Ace’s last year after a decade plus of riding Indy and Thunders. I fucking love them, and the difference is huge imo. I'm gonna ride those Ace’s right into the pearly gates, they’re that fucking good. The turning on them is unfuckwithable. They’ve changed my skating for good, wish I had tried them years ago. Can’t wait to try the lows but still don’t really understand the difference its going to make skating… so lows mean less pop but more stable? And higher chance of wheelbite? So would they be good for a bowl setup then? 

newspaperparty

• Rep: 25
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2021, 07:16:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Ridiculous, 49mm is for kids. Ace, release the standard Af1 hollows in 8.75.
[close]

Exactly! I don’t have any need for a low truck (that I know of at least) but an 8.75” AF1 I’d buy immediately.

Adding my desire for a 8.75 standard AF1. Someone from Ace please view this thread and let your people know what the people actually want

kenjiro

« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2021, 08:12:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Exactly! I don’t have any need for a low truck (that I know of at least) but an 8.75” AF1 I’d buy immediately.
[close]

Adding my desire for a 8.75 standard AF1. Someone from Ace please view this thread and let your people know what the people actually want

Yeah… 49mm is a lil insane imo. I really just want a less
heavy ace. strongly considering just getting risers when these are released

Frank and Fred

« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2021, 08:16:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Pretty sure its on the way based on some of the comments on their insta. So is an 88 big boy truck.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2021, 09:29:36 PM »
pair with 40-48mm wheels, this could be fun..