Author Topic: New Ace AF1 *Low* announced  (Read 41735 times)

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
Re: New Ace AF1 *Low* announced
« Reply #180 on: April 16, 2022, 07:32:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Picked up my 60 Lows and set them up on the orange Classic Eagle w/ 53mm 97A F4 Classics and Big Balls. Since the whole setup is a bit large for anything more than fun at my size, I decided to go for a lazy, surfy parking lot/manny pad board.

Anyway, the trucks. Baseplate has LOW cast into the bottom, so it is different (still have to check compatibility with the regular AF1 hanger). I only took it out for a sidewalk lap last night, but they’re very surfy; you definitely don’t lose the Ace feel with the altered height.

No wheelbite marks yet (on 53s), which was surprising, but I have 50mm F4 Classics in the toolbox if it becomes a problem. I also might experiment with the taller top bushing (from regular-height Aces) to get a little more resistance at the deep end of the turn.

I’ll try to add some wheelbase measurements tonight, but so far they seem good. Almost didn’t feel like low trucks because they have so much more turn when they’re this wide.

EDIT:
Mounting holes (deck): 15 in.
Avg. wheelbase (axles): right around 17.8 in.

So AF1 Low looks to be + 2.8 in. on the wheelbase. Pretty close to the standard-height model.
[close]

Are the hangers smaller in height or same size as stock AF1?
[close]

It looks like the hangers are the same size. They seem to fit well on the other baseplate, too. There aren’t any Low-specific markings on the hanger, so that would seem plausible.

If the hangers are indeed compatible, the logical next step is frankensteining a 77 Low. I imagine it’s like skating a furniture dolly.

If the hangers are the same, there is no way to make a mid after all. Was hoping that's the case.
Except just using smaller bushings on the regular plate or bigger ones on the low plate, thereby changing the geometry and fucking up the pivot cups?

Edit: Actually it's way smarter that way. This way you can use all your AF1 hangers as a high and a low, and if you're ok with using risers you can have any height you want, from 49mm to infinity and beyond. Probably gonna buy 55s low

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1610
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #181 on: April 16, 2022, 08:19:35 AM »
It’s the geo which saves Aces…..on the AF1 and classics you can skate some pretty big wheels and not worry about wheelbite…..it wouldn’t surprise me the lows is not as bad as a thunder……

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #182 on: April 16, 2022, 11:24:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Picked up my 60 Lows and set them up on the orange Classic Eagle w/ 53mm 97A F4 Classics and Big Balls. Since the whole setup is a bit large for anything more than fun at my size, I decided to go for a lazy, surfy parking lot/manny pad board.

Anyway, the trucks. Baseplate has LOW cast into the bottom, so it is different (still have to check compatibility with the regular AF1 hanger). I only took it out for a sidewalk lap last night, but they’re very surfy; you definitely don’t lose the Ace feel with the altered height.

No wheelbite marks yet (on 53s), which was surprising, but I have 50mm F4 Classics in the toolbox if it becomes a problem. I also might experiment with the taller top bushing (from regular-height Aces) to get a little more resistance at the deep end of the turn.

I’ll try to add some wheelbase measurements tonight, but so far they seem good. Almost didn’t feel like low trucks because they have so much more turn when they’re this wide.

EDIT:
Mounting holes (deck): 15 in.
Avg. wheelbase (axles): right around 17.8 in.

So AF1 Low looks to be + 2.8 in. on the wheelbase. Pretty close to the standard-height model.
[close]

Are the hangers smaller in height or same size as stock AF1?
[close]

It looks like the hangers are the same size. They seem to fit well on the other baseplate, too. There aren’t any Low-specific markings on the hanger, so that would seem plausible.

If the hangers are indeed compatible, the logical next step is frankensteining a 77 Low. I imagine it’s like skating a furniture dolly.
[close]

If the hangers are the same, there is no way to make a mid after all. Was hoping that's the case.
Except just using smaller bushings on the regular plate or bigger ones on the low plate, thereby changing the geometry and fucking up the pivot cups?

Edit: Actually it's way smarter that way. This way you can use all your AF1 hangers as a high and a low, and if you're ok with using risers you can have any height you want, from 49mm to infinity and beyond. Probably gonna buy 55s low

The fit/geo seems like it would be a little clunky if you switch to the larger bushings on the Low, but yeah, that’s the only way to make a “mid.” I guess the main perk of sharing the hanger is you can make your Lows whichever width you want if you already have a couple sets of AF1s.

I’ll probably grab a pair of 66s and swap the hanger on the 60 Lows. I’d rather go for a full 9 in. axle on this Orange Eagle since it’s more of a novelty board and put the 60s on a White Eagle, which has better measurements for me.

Carter

• Rep: 2
« Reply #183 on: April 17, 2022, 12:05:27 PM »
I've been skating thunder titanium lights 148's and I just got the ace hollow lows and love them. still having the new truck break in period that everyone hates but its not painful or annoying. I tried the reg af1 44's and I just couldn't do it. felt like I was skating a heavy ass weapon. was scared to try and fling my board around but these lows are rad. I have 52mm spitfire formula 4's and dont have to much of a wheel bite problem. believe they are the same height of the thunders as well referring to a chart someone made of all the trucks or may have been off thunders site.

Bumba

• Rep: 33
« Reply #184 on: April 17, 2022, 01:43:38 PM »

https://www.instarestoration.com/slider/view/3381990e-cb0e-4f4e-9338-8d465cefe330

EDIT: Looks like the online images used are either different perspective or prototypes because it has been reported there is no wheelbase offset difference between hi/low.

I think you're good man. You comapred an AF1 Low and Classic but the Classics have a shorter wheelbase. The slider looks good to me

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1610
« Reply #185 on: April 17, 2022, 03:24:55 PM »
I've been skating thunder titanium lights 148's and I just got the ace hollow lows and love them. still having the new truck break in period that everyone hates but its not painful or annoying. I tried the reg af1 44's and I just couldn't do it. felt like I was skating a heavy ass weapon. was scared to try and fling my board around but these lows are rad. I have 52mm spitfire formula 4's and dont have to much of a wheel bite problem. believe they are the same height of the thunders as well referring to a chart someone made of all the trucks or may have been off thunders site.

It tightens the wheelbase a bunch I suspect which is why I’m interested….

bryan

• Rep: 26
« Reply #186 on: April 17, 2022, 03:56:44 PM »
Expand Quote

https://www.instarestoration.com/slider/view/3381990e-cb0e-4f4e-9338-8d465cefe330

EDIT: Looks like the online images used are either different perspective or prototypes because it has been reported there is no wheelbase offset difference between hi/low.
[close]

I think you're good man. You comapred an AF1 Low and Classic but the Classics have a shorter wheelbase. The slider looks good to me

Good catch, thanks for the info. Just ordered some from socal on sale.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 04:18:19 PM by bryan »

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #187 on: April 18, 2022, 11:39:48 AM »

How tightened are you skating them?  I was just looking at the ones I got and they have a few threads showing on the kingpin out of the box.  I usually run the kingpin nut completely flush on trucks.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #188 on: April 18, 2022, 12:57:26 PM »
Can someone tell me the actual hanger width on the 60s? New ace website sucks and is stuck on the 7.75 details.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1036
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #189 on: April 19, 2022, 08:04:30 AM »
Can someone tell me the actual hanger width on the 60s? New ace website sucks and is stuck on the 7.75 details.

Supposed to be 8.75" (no idea what that translates to in ACE voodoo measurements).

Fs_smith_98

• Rep: 1
« Reply #190 on: April 19, 2022, 08:23:21 AM »
Aces makes their hangers like 0.1/0.125 shorter than what they say, in both classics and af1, so i would expect the 60s to be 8.625/8.65

Frank and Fred

« Reply #191 on: April 19, 2022, 09:20:53 AM »
Aces makes their hangers like 0.1/0.125 shorter than what they say, in both classics and af1, so i would expect the 60s to be 8.625/8.65

Mine have always been on the money when I measure with the conical ends of the hanger.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #192 on: April 19, 2022, 09:21:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Supposed to be 8.75" (no idea what that translates to in ACE voodoo measurements).

hanger not axle.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #193 on: April 19, 2022, 11:02:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

hanger not axle.

154mm on mine. Axle seems to be bang on 8.75”.

Carter

• Rep: 2
« Reply #194 on: April 19, 2022, 12:12:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How tightened are you skating them?  I was just looking at the ones I got and they have a few threads showing on the kingpin out of the box.  I usually run the kingpin nut completely flush on trucks.

maybe like a thread maybe a thread and a half. very bouncy bushings tho. I've only skated them once so far due to being sick/allergies and then weather but im such a pussy with trucks but im liking them

Frank and Fred

« Reply #195 on: April 19, 2022, 12:22:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

hanger not axle.
[close]

Nice. Thanks! @Roisto i

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #196 on: April 19, 2022, 04:22:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

hanger not axle.
[close]

Thanks! That's a pretty good size

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #197 on: April 19, 2022, 05:00:53 PM »
My brothers is Christ can somebody post the low hanger in comparison to standard af1 hangers.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #198 on: April 20, 2022, 04:57:04 PM »

Curiosity got the better of me after riding the Forged Hollow Mindys (which I switched over to a regs forged plate; I'm over IKPs).

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1143
« Reply #199 on: April 20, 2022, 05:13:47 PM »

Curiosity got the better of me after riding the Forged Hollow Mindys (which I switched over to a regs forged plate; I'm over IKPs).

Interested to read what you think of them

diplodocus

• Rep: 170
  • long neck
« Reply #200 on: April 20, 2022, 06:13:31 PM »
so how does a shorter bushing compare to the regular height bushing?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #201 on: April 20, 2022, 08:03:38 PM »
so how does a shorter bushing compare to the regular height bushing?

It's....shorter?

The ACE low bushings are about ~.5 mm shorter than the [new] stock indys, not enough to notice any difference. Compared to the regular ACE bottom (Indy aftermarket and Supercush), they are about 1mm+ shorter.

Nth syd bear

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 326
« Reply #202 on: April 21, 2022, 04:25:17 AM »

I like em

I'm curious to know what u think of the bushings..

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #203 on: April 21, 2022, 07:59:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I like em

I'm curious to know what u think of the bushings..

Plan to leave'em stock. They already come pretty squashed down, with about 1 and a 1/8 threads showing, front part of the yoke already looks pushed down because of it. We'll see how it goes.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #204 on: April 21, 2022, 05:53:09 PM »
Apparently the pivots are heavily pre-lubed…goops started squishing out within a few minutes

Coming off Indy Forged mids, the height is fine, stock tightness and I can turn/carve super tight (without wheebite, unless I  really force the turn) much quicker than on the mindy (and deeper). Compared to the royals I was one for a minute, no contest, the ACE turn is still king, even on lows...I'd forgotten how fast you can adjust ACE at speed and not lose confidence in stability...

Grind-wise they're hard, like the AF1s I tried at launch (but I'm only an hour deep on them). Not any harder 'feeling' than Indy but they are stickier.

Edit: Pop-feel was indistinguishable to me coming off the Mindys (also setup on a 14.3x wheelbase); I suck at manuals but the tipping point (to get in, meaning rolling and leaning into the manual not ollie'ing into it) felt normal, not heavy and not light much like the indies, no surprise there (I was recently riding a creature 14.22wb with steep ass kicks and thunders and it was a heavy lift and crazy tippy).

That fact a low truck can turn so well and not wheelbite compared to a taller truck (cast thunder) is crazy...I won't lie tho, heavy ML vibes
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 06:42:17 PM by Xen »

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #205 on: April 21, 2022, 06:33:57 PM »
Apparently the pivots are heavily pre-lubed…goops started squishing out within a few minutes

Coming off Indy Forged mids, the height is fine, stock tightness and I can turn/carve super tight (without wheebite, unless I  really force the turn) much quicker than on the mindy (and deeper). Compared to the royals I was one for a minute, no contest, the ACE turn is still king, even on lows...I'd forgotten how fast you can adjust ACE at speed and not lose confidence in stability...

Grind-wise they're hard, like the AF1s I tried at launch (but I'm only an hour deep on them). Not any harder 'feeling' than Indy but they are stickier.

Sounds promising.  The 169s I’ve been skating for the past six months are starting to feel dead.  I can’t wait to throw these bad boys on my board next week and start putting them to the test.   

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #206 on: April 21, 2022, 07:52:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sounds promising.  The 169s I’ve been skating for the past six months are starting to feel dead.  I can’t wait to throw these bad boys on my board next week and start putting them to the test.   

I've been off ACE for a hot minute (rode them religiously for a few years after they launched, weight be damned). Tried AF1s but my set had defects so bad taste (plus heavy); but I'm on a low kick these days and they're a bit lighter....but I'm getting over that since I was on an 8.5 hollow forged mindys (or Royals) and hefty conicals; Are you going 60s? 66s?

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 594
« Reply #207 on: April 21, 2022, 08:08:01 PM »

Edit: Pop-feel was indistinguishable to me coming off the Mindys (also setup on a 14.3x wheelbase); I suck at manuals but the tipping point (to get in, meaning rolling and leaning into the manual not ollie'ing into it) felt normal, not heavy and not light much like the indies, no surprise there (I was recently riding a creature 14.22wb with steep ass kicks and thunders and it was a heavy lift and crazy tippy).

That fact a low truck can turn so well and not wheelbite compared to a taller truck (cast thunder) is crazy...I won't lie tho, heavy ML vibes

I saw in the setup thread you have 52mm wheels on. What's the biggest you think you can go before death by wheelbite? I would have assumed 52 was the max due to the height but now I'm curious how big before they max out.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #208 on: April 21, 2022, 10:53:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I saw in the setup thread you have 52mm wheels on. What's the biggest you think you can go before death by wheelbite? I would have assumed 52 was the max due to the height but now I'm curious how big before they max out.

I've a few bite marks from shit landings but that's going to happen no matter what. The 52s are pushing it (STF V2 start at 52 these days but I want that shape (probably be 6mo+ before I get down to 50mm everyone forgets how long STF last, I would have gone 51mm) but I ride loose; I'd guess 50/51 is really the sweetspot.

It's bad science but I try and match truck height to wheel height give or take a mm, i.e., 55mm trucks 54/55/56mm wheels, 52mm truck 51/52mm wheels, 53.5mm truck 53/54mm, etc., but it also depends on how loose you ride and wheel shape, the tighter you ride the bigger the wheel you can get away with. This also considering no risers. ever. fuck those things.

With any ACE, you don't need to mash the turn to get it going or get where you need to go. It takes less effort. On 52s I can do a full, and pretty tight, 360 with speed, a bit wider than a regular parking space, without wheel bite; on thunders (lites) I can't even match half the arc of turn before they bite trying to match these.

ACE (including the lo) have that hanger movement where they go 'in' before they bite, essentially allowing you a deeper turn faster. It's also why you can ride tighter or harder bushing and still turn; Mini Logo act the same way.

Once you tame the squirrlyness of ACE the small subtle adjustments you can make on the fly really pay off, especially on transition (skating classics/AF1 regs). I missed them more than I thought. This post ended up longer than I wanted it to. Hope it helps.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 10:57:19 AM by Xen »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2016
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #209 on: April 22, 2022, 12:26:02 AM »
How much do they shift the wheelbase? +2.75"?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m