Author Topic: Have You Ever Been on TV?  (Read 2862 times)

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Have You Ever Been on TV?
« on: December 29, 2021, 01:22:02 PM »
What were the circumstances?  Were you just in the background?  Interviewed on the news?  Extra in a tv show?

I was one of the people answering the phone during a pledge drive on a public television channel and was very briefly on an episode of the old Discovery Channel show “Dirty Jobs”. 
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Gene_Harrogate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
Re: Have You Ever Been on TV?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 02:05:06 PM »
When I was around 5 or 6 I was on a local broadcast kids show in Indiana called Happy's Place that was hosted by a character called Happy the Hobo, and aired mid-afternoon every day. It was sort of a Bozo the Clown knock off where kids from the audience played bozo buckets and he asked us a couple of questions each and they cut it between episodes of Thunder Cats and He-Man for the after-school crowd.

Get hungry on it!

birdplops

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 25
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 02:32:37 PM »
My earthworm was in an episode of Horizon, which is a long-running popular science show on the BBC.

Make of that what you will.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 02:44:43 PM »
My earthworm was in an episode of Horizon, which is a long-running popular science show on the BBC.

Are you an earthworm breeder or something?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rep: 244
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 03:24:55 PM »
I was an extra in two Krystal Restaurant commercials when I was 12. Eating a hamburger in the background. Each shot from each angle took 10-20 takes and I actually had to chew the burger each time. They gave us a trash basket to spit the chewed up burger into after they yelled “ cut”.  So…that’s how that is done- in case anyone is interested.

One cool thing is that I got to see the professional food sculptors or whatever they are called- the people that create the fake food for product shots. The use lard for ice cream, glycerin drops on fake lettuce, etc… it was actually cool how they made fake food look better than the real stuff.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 03:38:22 PM »
Have you been able to find that commercial on youtube or anywhere like that?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 711
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 03:38:53 PM »
When I was a pizza delivery boy I once had to deliver pizza „live“ into a TV show.

I also was a stunt man in a cinema commercial for that pizza delivery service, riding a scooter.

One of my wife‘s guinea pigs had a short but important role in a TV movie. Its (movie) name was the password to the computer of the main character.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 744
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2021, 03:40:16 PM »
I've been on the news twice. Once while they were doing a story on the skatepark so there was a clip of me doing a backside air in the bowl. The other time was a story about a search and rescue mission I was working. There were clips of my team and I doing briefings, and walking in a field.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 05:38:45 PM by friendly dave »
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

jaysouthbay

• Rep: 2
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2021, 03:41:30 PM »
yup a shooting down my block in ny and i was interviewed as a 'witness' this was like 2 years ago

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 333
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2021, 03:48:33 PM »
And1 Basketball came to town back in 2002 or 2003 and the ESPN2 show had a reaction shot of me losing my shit off a Spyda dunk. I had on an Alien shirt lol.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2021, 04:07:11 PM »
Made the news when someone died at my high school from an unfortunate overdose. My interview was terrible, I hope the girl's family never saw it.

I was leaving school early and the news flagged me down and started asking me questions about some girl who I didn't know. My answers were worthless stoner answers. Then classes got out for others and things really went downhill. Now, I'm on the side of road answer questions about some girl who died that I didn't even know and other kids are driving by screaming my name and honking.

What a fucking nightmare for that family.

Edit: Best skate clip on the news has to Laurence O'Keefe eating shit on a 3-flip in the middle of Siberia. This was in the 10,000 Kilometers video by Patrik Wallner.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 06:23:07 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2021, 04:11:37 PM »
A few times actually. Story time.

- In 2004 I was in Time Square, saw a WWE film crew and walked up to them to see what they were filming. Ended up getting asked questions on camera by Todd Grisham back in his early days with the WWE

We were on a late-fall high school trip to NYC and my friends had no idea who the hell he was, but as a wrestling fan I was tripping. He was asking people who they thought was going to win the Royal Rumble in January. I said Chris Benoit, and that’s the year he won. I have no idea if it ever aired, but they made me sign a waiver and I was filmed.

- I was also in multiple TV ads for my last job. I used to work for a big family-owned Outdoors sporting good store here in Quebec. Usually just in the background adjusting fishing gear, tying knots, adjusting backpacks etc.. I was also in their winter catalogue, they used me as a model for their snowmobile suits.

- I appeared on a local fishing show representing my former job just before a big trade show. I was explaining the differences between 3 different high-end fly fishing reels. I’ve tried looking for it, I can’t find it anymore.

- And finally once for a Web show in either 2008 or 2009 during a huge 80’s party. Nightlife was big at the time, and for 4 years in a row we’d have a giant 80’s party in Quebec City. The street with all the bars would close and it would end up being a giant outdoor party. Everyone in their 20’s was there, 80’s music blasting on loud speakers and looots of drugs everywhere. These were giant parties and people would wait all year for it. This period in time was the peak of my partying days.

I just remember a film crew covering Quebec’s nightlife walk up to me. (Pleingaz for those of you who were in Quebec at the time) They would interview people partying for their Web show. I was out of my mind on mushrooms, half an MDMA tab and a few bumps of ketamine. I have no idea how I played it cool, but I appeared fairly normal… only thing is I was so high I didn’t blink the whole time. It stayed online for years, I’m glad it’s gone.

My best friend was filmed for the following year’s edition, and it’s still out there. I still watch it from time to time and randomly send him screenshots. Good times.

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2021, 04:56:45 PM »
My dad was early at adapting to doing organic farming in Denmark (re-introducing if you will(start early 1980’s)), and was interviewed for locals news. The bit ended with me chucking a big glass of cows milk. I must’ve been around 5 at the time.

Edit: I must correct my self, I was born in 1987, so this must’ve been around 1992 isch. Organic farming was strange to a lot of people at this time, so I’m sure it must have been some bit discussing conventional and organic farming still.
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2021, 05:12:43 PM »
When I was 6, I was on the news. Network came to school to ask kids about Xmas. I dunno why but I started telling the lady I'd been to the north pole, met Santa all sorts of lies. But she seemed to be enjoying it so I kept going. In hindsight this was obviously gold for her crappy assignment. I've got the tape somewhere... everyone seemed to be hyped on it. I had the 1982 helmet hairdo also

Only other time, I was probably 25 and I had a huge red mohawk. We were waiting for this train to pass and a news crew was across the street. I saw the news guy look at me and tell them to film, so I just mad dogged them with my finger up my nose til the train passed. Apparently on the news that night they showed the clip and something like "well you can pick your nose but not cross in front of a train" or some shit. Bunch of my dudes saw it - I never did

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1102
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2021, 05:26:29 PM »
I’ve appeared on all my favorite shows:

Cops, First 48 Hours, Intervention and To Catch a Predator.

Dude, I was such a big Chris Hansen fan that when he came in the door I fanned out on him so hard. He was cool as hell about it too…

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2021, 05:38:34 PM »
I’ve appeared on all my favorite shows:

Cops, First 48 Hours, Intervention and To Catch a Predator.

Dude, I was such a big Chris Hansen fan that when he came in the door I fanned out on him so hard. He was cool as hell about it too…

Loved your ep.  Great screen name.

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 375
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2021, 06:25:07 PM »
I was in the 1994 made for television film The Stand.
I played a very ill young child and my performance was touted on set. I was 36 and a fresh face out of Julliard.
Easy peasy lemon squeezy of a first real gig, but dealing with the violently tumultuous (yet very fraternal) relationship between the stalwart Gary Sinise and the sly and spry Robert Lowe proved too much for my untainted psyche.
The fully cocked slaps, the ketchup packets under the singular unisex toilet seat.. oh god, the horror these two perpetuated! 
With sudden and certain clarity, I knew if I was gonna keep landing high profile gigs like Sick Child #2 that my fate would be the same.

I then pictured myself battling with other movie stars while the help on-set just gawked. Their mouths agape as if inhaling the A-List infused atmosphere would save them from their television level mediocrities. The cacophony of mixed screams from my imagined producers and fictitious lovers as I reached for the big camera to bring it all down….

I realized then I was sick of the process, sick of them, sick of it all. Your dazzling debutant had been disillusioned. Dreams unfairly snubbed like that joyful, toothy yellow lab that had figured out toothpaste.

For that reason, and that reason alone, I self-inflicted a moratorium on what would have been a thespian career rivaled only by Charlton Heston or Johnathan Taylor-Thomas.

You are welcome for my selfless act, general public.
You are not welcome, General Hospital. I will not do a cameo.

Shalom Peterson

• Rep: 20
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2021, 06:53:57 PM »
A couple times. In first grade, I won an art contest for lil kids thru the newspaper and won four free county fair tickets for the season (pretty expensive, believe it or not). The news interviewed me briefly. They basically just asked if I was excited for free tix and who I was planning on taking. Nothing special but I felt like a celebrity lol.

In college, I was on TV a bunch by different news stations about eight hours apart. 2013, FSU national championship game v Auburn. I was interviewed in the AM on campus by a local station asking my prediction for the game. Later on, I was seen on a couple channels (espn too) celebrating when FSU won.

Another time in college I was on a local news clip bartending. I never saw it, but many ppl told me about it. It was one of those transition clips showing what was coming up after the commercial break. Something to do with local alcohol laws.

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2021, 07:12:24 PM »
Yes. MTV. Fiest questions and a few songs.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2021, 07:22:08 PM »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rep: 244
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2021, 08:41:24 PM »
Have you been able to find that commercial on youtube or anywhere like that?

I went down the rabbit hole after posting- no luck.

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2021, 10:52:28 PM »
A few times and each time it happened to be skateboard related.

Went to an audition and got a role as a medical student skateboarding to class in a commercial for a local university. Coincidentally I was actually a student at the university and was going into the medical field. It aired on local TV stations and at movie theaters for a few months. A little embarrassed about the commercial so not posting a link to that one.

Had a couple clips at the beginning of this "Captain and Casey Show" montage and filmed most of the other clips in here. This was back in 2005.

Was on the Viceland show "Abandoned" with Rick McCrank showing him around an abandoned building I built some stuff in. I was Rick/Vice's tour guide during the 2 weeks they were here and wasn't originally supposed to be in the episode. They had all of their segments researched and planned out before they got here. This segment just ended up happening as a result of hanging out with Rick and the filming crew. Didn't know if it made the cut until the episode aired on TV.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 11:08:53 PM by Sidewalk Funk. »

birdplops

• Rep: 25
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2021, 05:59:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Are you an earthworm breeder or something?

Nah, for my PhD I studied earthworms living in super contaminated soils that the show used as an example of evolution in action. I showed the crew around an old arsenic mine and fed lines to the big time professor being interviewed, but the director didn't want me on film. I didn't even get a credit, my institutions did.

Not TV, but an audio clip of me commentating while skating around Edinburgh was played on BBC radio 3. That was cool.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 541
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2021, 06:42:22 AM »
Yeah, I was on the news one time.  There was a rapist in Lincoln Park, climbin in windows, snatchin people up, etc.  I tried to warn everyone they should hide their families, and let the offender know there was no point in confessing, because we would find him.

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 10
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2021, 07:05:52 AM »
I was on an MTV game show called "Sink or Swim" it was like the Gong show from the 80's. I tried to skate on this tiny ass stage and lost. I did get a free trip to Key West out of the deal though. I've looked for my episode on youtube and haven't found it.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2021, 08:17:13 AM »
I was in BCN by myself like 10 years ago, they interviewed me for Catalan TV about skate tourism, asked me cruise down the street and pop few ollies. I had to sign some papers too, no clue if they ever aired that.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 10
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2021, 08:20:32 AM »
Made an appearance on Fuel TV for the "Captain and Casey Show" where they played my footage. Daewon said it was tight after it played.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 310
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2021, 09:30:33 AM »
Background props 2x on Tony Hawk’s Gigantic Skatepark Tour.

Also was on a news story about my school raising money to fix the Statue of Liberty because in the 80’s the government apparently couldn’t foot the bill themselves.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2021, 02:28:49 PM »
Got caught on camera briefly once by a news crew after working a fire.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Hedgehog In Da Fog

• Rep: -15
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2021, 10:21:11 PM »
I was on an episode of Beakman's World in 1995. It changed my life.