Author Topic: Mark Suciu enjoys blatant displays of wealth inequality and Adidas loves it  (Read 24495 times)

veritas

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Oh my god no way… he went to a spot in the projects and shot a photo... what a piece of shit!

People are really reaching with this one lol have you never skated in a city before?
[close]

Today I learned that the presence of two black people makes any location the projects
[close]

How did I know I would get this response? I literally know where the spot is but way to jump to conclusions
[close]
then you’d know it’s definitely not the projects
[close]

Okay near the projects, sorry. My point was that it isn’t just some rail in queens or hoboken

There are projects, and folks who look like that in all 5 boroughs of New York City. Everywhere is "near the projects" to people who are frightened by brown faces and think a busy area of lower Manhattan is hood. There are people who look like that sitting around outside most hospitals in the city.

Homeless people are still people and probably wouldn't agree to having their faces plastered all over the internet and print media if they had a say in the matter (which we know they don't). But who cares what the homeless, voiceless, faceless nobodies of the city think, they only exist when we need background points in photos shot by grown men who dress like 12 year olds on their way to Sunday school.

Tyroneshoelaces

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -598
  • who knows
Black people have been underrepresented in the skate industry for so long, we finally get some extra shine and white people still mad
where is home?

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
Imagine if it was just a fs feeble instead. What a peasant!

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
you people are cunts just trying to get anyone in any trouble possible  ;D

Lisa96

so you're assuming those people are homeless?

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
People here were ok with Austin Kanfoush kickflipping over a homeless person because he works construction and supports his family.

Maybe Suciu can get a job sledgehammering concrete and knock up a book betty and people will forgive him for skating next to homeless folk.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
And this is why were punished from giving medals, people like you who think a comparison is only a direct comparison & not a personal trait
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
I am in no way a Mark suckyo fan….. but this shit reaching y’all need to cheeeeeel
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Frank Sobotka

• Rep: 87
  • We used to make shit in this country, build shit
Everything I’ve seen from him so far leads me to believe Marky Boy is sincere, self aware, and well-intentioned, so I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt here. Bad thread.

JohnnyBoy

• Rep: 7
    • Fat Skater avatar image

SR ACF

• Rep: -291
On second thought I think the negative response he's getting is actually justified. I mean we can assume to mark's benefit that those two people actually did get paid model release buyouts for appearing in a commercial, which would be the proper and legal way. But from the fact that he's been silent to a multitude of people asking him this exact question on his insta, some with over 100 likes, plus the way things usually are done in the industry, it is the much safer bet that they didn't. And that makes it especially exploitative. 

Plus I think we simply have to take into account who this is coming from. People need to stand up to the image they craft of themselves in the public eye and Mark Suciu is no GX1000 roughboy. Cf. this:
Expand Quote
Everything I’ve seen from him so far leads me to believe Marky Boy is sincere, self aware, and well-intentioned, so I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt here. Bad thread.
[close]

The fact that Suciu didn't take into account how this would be received and didn't see any need for some detailed bts info that makes it all less cringe is a baffling lapse of judgement and he deserves to have it shoved in his face. I think we all know this isn't the type of thing he'll lose sponsors over or anything. But a bit of blowback seems in order.

apply today

• Rep: 6
yeah seriously chillllllll

cky enthusiast

“did the homeless people sign release forms” makes you a bigger nerd than him by several degrees

there’s homeless people in the city, im sure he asked them first before he started skating

you dudes are cooked. living in the boonies cooks ur brain like an egg on a sidewalk

sizzle_chest

• Rep: -12
  • Kookin' Ain't Easy
Impoverished humanity has been an acceptable background prop for enlightened skaters since Kenny Reed first trekked to Bangladesh back in the 90s, I don't know what y'all complaining about. Can we talk about how Berra is sitting on a stanceless genetic code that will change the industry forever?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
The real crime here in not the ad or Suciu's response to it; it's that Twitter-brain is now infecting all levels of the skate community, including Slap. Unfortunately there is no treatment at present, and the condition is terminal.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

whaaaaat

• Rep: 46
Has anyone here ever skated outside of a skatepark? Jesus Christ

fredgallSOTY

i dont even care about this but its a reason to hate on mark suciu so im in

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Y’all are tripping like he didn’t go back to the spot and give them both his own personal copies of the works of Jean Paul Satre.
Sartre***

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Give them royalties for image rights. End of debate.

SR ACF

• Rep: -291
Next ad will be Mark gifting his personal copy of Infinite Jest to the halfway house whose bump to bar he's switch ollieing.

With the recovering addicts lined up on the porch.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 11:24:51 AM by SR ACF »

Bakers Bark

• Rep: 5

This.
Again and again. Again and again

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2194
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
I got y’all this to make your reach a lickle bit easier.

Seriously though: tell me you’ve never skated in a major metropolitan area without telling me you’ve never… You get the idea.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Vomit Lust

• Rep: 83
This is a joke thread, right?

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

dannyprovolone

have to imagine the rail will be gone soon and replaced with a coffee shop or used bookstore

Lord Viper Scorpion

pro club blanks

The real crime here in not the ad or Suciu's response to it; it's that Twitter-brain is now infecting all levels of the skate community, including Slap. Unfortunately there is no treatment at present, and the condition is terminal.
This whole shit might be some intentionally controversy thing, I dont put anything past advertisers in the trump era

Mark will probably get pressed on the issue til he comes out and says something like "i wanted to start a conversation about homelessness in America" or something
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 11:51:14 AM by pro club blanks »

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
have to imagine the rail will be gone soon and replaced with a coffee shop or used bookstore

Mikey Taylor just bought the space for storage units

veritas

Expand Quote
[close]

Adidas should make it up by giving them their own product line as well as the royalties to Mark’s shoe for the rest of their lives, and start by offering a formal apology to the seat-deprived community and all people who’ve ever had to sit on stairs anywhere.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
Next ad will be Mark gifting his personal copy of Infinite Jest to the halfway house whose bump to bar he's switch ollieing.

With the recovering addicts lined up on the porch.

Based off your previous posts, I’m not sure you realize how apropos IJ would be in that situation