Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 184983 times)

buttchin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 18
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1080 on: June 03, 2022, 04:57:36 PM »
I dig that Chris Senn won SOTY and bowed out gracefully after leaving toy machine and emerica to not pursue skateboarding professionally anymore. Dude was raw as fuck in SF and all over. He was like the SoCal Don Barley.

Also Dan Drehobl needs more respect in skateboarding and should still be on Krooked

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1081 on: June 03, 2022, 05:30:19 PM »
I dig that Chris Senn won SOTY and bowed out gracefully after leaving toy machine and emerica to not pursue skateboarding professionally anymore. Dude was raw as fuck in SF and all over. He was like the SoCal Don Barley.

Also Dan Drehobl needs more respect in skateboarding and should still be on Krooked

Senn didn’t bow out gracefully after leaving Toy Machine. He went to Element for a while, then milked it on Blood Wizard.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1110
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1082 on: June 03, 2022, 07:00:13 PM »

Drehobl makes dope cutting boards now. I bought one and he threw a Krooked hat and some stickers in with it.

https://drehoblwoodworking.bigcartel.com/

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 578
« Reply #1083 on: June 03, 2022, 07:14:17 PM »
Bring it down the side pipe to Miami.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

3D X-Ray Vision

« Reply #1084 on: June 05, 2022, 11:33:30 PM »
There is nothing compelling or exciting about Gifted Hater and I have zero interest in ever hearing him speak

pro club blanks

« Reply #1085 on: June 06, 2022, 01:10:48 AM »
The definition of side pipe was 'What your dick looks like in pants 3 sizes too small' if I remember correctly
Greco of improperly fitting garments so he can feel like a big man

Lol at no one having the heart to tell him like yo thats not normal or like you know something you need to be bragging about

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #1086 on: June 06, 2022, 10:13:05 AM »
I thought the Taylor Silverman/Trans thread had a lot of bullshit but was also some of the more interesting discussion on here in a while and locking the thread was premature.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1087 on: June 06, 2022, 12:01:17 PM »
Palace and the chav culture they promote is wack

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1088 on: June 06, 2022, 01:14:01 PM »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 716
« Reply #1089 on: June 06, 2022, 08:18:43 PM »
Don’t usually consider myself to be a complete hater but Austyn Gillette is one of my surprising picks for least favorite people in skateboarding.  He is insufferable to listen to for more than 5 seconds.  If the Globe “Skateboarding” thing is anything more than a money grab for a check and he actually has the hubris to think that people care enough about him to buy into it I almost feel bad for him. 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1090 on: June 06, 2022, 11:46:25 PM »
Not an unpopular opinion, more of a thought:
If Pontus sold Polar right now he d probably be a rich man. If he keeps it until the pants trend changes, I m not so sure. Not that I want him to do it but at some point krew denim used to be a money printing company.
Pontus is just a modern day Rocco, one day we’ll see polar in target

*I say this as a polar fan too; all good/ influential brands either die in their prime or go on to be a hollow shell of their former selves.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #1091 on: June 07, 2022, 12:08:02 AM »
new primitive vid is boring as fuck

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #1092 on: June 07, 2022, 12:21:32 AM »
There is nothing compelling or exciting about Gifted Hater and I have zero interest in ever hearing him speak squeak

:-X

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • old and in the way
« Reply #1093 on: June 07, 2022, 12:36:35 AM »
Jump Off A Building is my favorite BA part

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1094 on: June 07, 2022, 01:12:52 AM »
we are so desensitized to absolutely ridiculous skating in 2022 it’s not even funny. A video of that caliber should go down in the history books, but most of us on here will have forgeten about it by the weekend…

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1095 on: June 07, 2022, 02:16:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
we are so desensitized to absolutely ridiculous skating in 2022 it’s not even funny. A video of that caliber should go down in the history books, but most of us on here will have forgeten about it by the weekend…

We are at a point where skill is a dime a dozen. We need creativity, style, NBDs, innovation, and unique spots for it to have an impression on us. I don't think this is a bad thing though.

Is the skating in Sour Solution vids more skilled? Probably not. But those videos are way more memorable.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #1096 on: June 07, 2022, 02:44:18 AM »
 :'(
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

We are at a point where skill is a dime a dozen. We need creativity, style, NBDs, innovation, and unique spots for it to have an impression on us. I don't think this is a bad thing though.

Is the skating in Sour Solution vids more skilled? Probably not. But those videos are way more memorable.
Also a difference between a full length now and back in the day is the smartphone/diminished attention span. Wonder how many people "watched" define while also scrolling insta, texting etc. I managed to watch it without looking at my phone but still only remember maybe five tricks. I can see video parts becoming more like the Brian Lotti Matt Hensley types with a bit of narrative. Get everyone's cooked brains a chance to rest a second before absorbing more tricks.

veritas

« Reply #1097 on: June 07, 2022, 05:09:21 AM »
Zombie 917 is just a mall tshirt brand now

warmonke

• Rep: 43
« Reply #1098 on: June 07, 2022, 05:14:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Definitely wouldn't say the Sour boys are less skilled, it's just channeled in a different way. All the weird shit they do is undeniably very skilled and difficult, just not conventionally "tech" - but most of them can still do some pretty nuts tech stuff.

Problem with Primitive is the overly clean aesthetic which just makes it seem super bland, kinda like the Numbers shit which just looked like an Apple commercial. Not even their absolutely stacked team can make up for the general lack of flavour, which is kind of a shame.

I struggle getting down with Primitive anyway cos of all the bullshit Dragon Ball Z collabs, and that's coming from a fuckin' weeb.

IpathCats

« Reply #1099 on: June 07, 2022, 05:36:46 AM »
:'(
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Also a difference between a full length now and back in the day is the smartphone/diminished attention span. Wonder how many people "watched" define while also scrolling insta, texting etc. I managed to watch it without looking at my phone but still only remember maybe five tricks. I can see video parts becoming more like the Brian Lotti Matt Hensley types with a bit of narrative. Get everyone's cooked brains a chance to rest a second before absorbing more tricks.

This and the oversaturation of content is certainly the crux of this issue. I've been off social media for a couple years now, i watched define in one sitting, i was super impressed. Not getting blasted with IG clips daily makes it way more exciting for me when a part or full length drops. I even get overwhelmed by the amount of youtube suggestions i get, i cant believe how much i was seeing when i still had IG. Sour Solution 3 was more entertaining, but define was amazing, so impressive. And honestly i thought it was a great showing from primitive, which is for all intents and purposes a kooky ass mall brand. If there was a shape/size/graphic i liked from them, and i liked their wood (are they psstix?) i would buy it after seeing define. I'm no fan of their target ass zumiez aesthetic, but its cool to see prod being successful as fuck and still absolutely RIPPING.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1100 on: June 07, 2022, 06:09:38 AM »
Primitive as a brand from an aesthetic point of view does nothing for me, but that was some heavy-arse skating.
Sour solution vid should portably also go down in the history books, but again my goldfish attention span mostly already forgot most of it…

conqueso

« Reply #1101 on: June 07, 2022, 06:20:39 AM »
miles silvas sw heel at china banks is gnarlier than tfunks ollie

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -101
« Reply #1102 on: June 07, 2022, 06:31:52 AM »
miles silvas sw heel at china banks is gnarlier than tfunks ollie
This is laughably false.
(sw heel is nuts though)

conqueso

« Reply #1103 on: June 07, 2022, 06:33:06 AM »
it was filmed better too

djoekr

• Rep: 294
« Reply #1104 on: June 07, 2022, 07:24:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Definitely wouldn't say the Sour boys are less skilled, it's just channeled in a different way. All the weird shit they do is undeniably very skilled and difficult, just not conventionally "tech" - but most of them can still do some pretty nuts tech stuff.

Problem with Primitive is the overly clean aesthetic which just makes it seem super bland, kinda like the Numbers shit which just looked like an Apple commercial. Not even their absolutely stacked team can make up for the general lack of flavour, which is kind of a shame.

I struggle getting down with Primitive anyway cos of all the bullshit Dragon Ball Z collabs, and that's coming from a fuckin' weeb.

This. The brand doesn't seem appealing in any way to me. I can acknowledge that their team is stacked and that the skating is at an insane level but at the same time I'm just not interested in ultra HD footy of the most tech and gnarly shit. I'll watch Primitive videos for the Franky footage but 1 hour of clean cut skaters doing shit I can't even dream of doing is just not up my alley.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #1105 on: June 07, 2022, 07:32:20 AM »
The Primitive video was basically just the new Creature video for guys who wear cologne.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #1106 on: June 07, 2022, 07:44:15 AM »

are you from the UK? i grew up in chav culture (north uk) and the only parallel i could possibly draw between palace/chav culture would be some of the outfits and maybe music choices. could argue some of the collabs ie avirex which was a staple of that culture early 2000s, but that was also a part of graff culture hence why they had zomby dds doing promo/artwork for it. i just dont see the connection in the point you're making.

warmonke

• Rep: 43
« Reply #1107 on: June 07, 2022, 07:49:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

are you from the UK? i grew up in chav culture (north uk) and the only parallel i could possibly draw between palace/chav culture would be some of the outfits and maybe music choices. could argue some of the collabs ie avirex which was a staple of that culture early 2000s, but that was also a part of graff culture hence why they had zomby dds doing promo/artwork for it. i just dont see the connection in the point you're making.
probably talking about early Blondey and his whole working class tourist thing

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #1108 on: June 07, 2022, 07:51:11 AM »
as a 32 year old anime boy myself, Primitives anime colabs feel lazy. You have the rights to use the characters, make them interesting. Use iconic scenes, or and  re imagine them. The anime colabs over shadow the brands identity. They make so much money off it, I wonder how much they'll hurt if NHS or Dwindle swooped in poached the licensing from shounen Jump

If we exclude anime, i think primitive has pretty decent graphic direction.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1109 on: June 07, 2022, 07:57:13 AM »
as a 32 year old anime boy myself,