Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 184447 times)

warmonke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 43
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1110 on: June 07, 2022, 07:59:26 AM »
as a 32 year old anime boy myself, Primitives anime colabs feel lazy. You have the rights to use the characters, make them interesting. Use iconic scenes, or and  re imagine them. The anime colabs over shadow the brands identity. They make so much money off it, I wonder how much they'll hurt if NHS or Dwindle swooped in poached the licensing from shounen Jump

If we exclude anime, i think primitive has pretty decent graphic direction.
Yeah I mean Hook Ups does it right with their Akira graphics and stuff, the tiddies ones are obviously a bit more debatable but I'd still rather skate one of those than the Primitive DBZ garbage. I've never been a fan of Primitive's graphics though, those full gold ones were heinous, arguably worse than DBZ.

work_lurker

• Rep: 68
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #1111 on: June 07, 2022, 08:08:30 AM »
REAL has the best graphics.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

Sick_McCrank_

• Rep: -481
« Reply #1112 on: June 07, 2022, 08:09:48 AM »
These slow mo roll away shots in the new primitive vid are cringe. Same for the über hype trick-land-celebrations.  :o No wonder the vid is over 1h.
Trendwatch 2022: kooking Sick_McCrank_ everyday for being a kook

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #1113 on: June 07, 2022, 08:15:01 AM »
“Skate Twitter” is the cringiest place on the internet. Full of the worst types of people you see at skateparks. Saw some dude saying primitive needed a round of layoffs because the video was too long

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #1114 on: June 07, 2022, 08:27:34 AM »
The Primitive video was basically just the new Creature video for guys who wear cologne.
Hilariously accurate, gnar for you sir

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #1115 on: June 07, 2022, 08:41:58 AM »
“Skate Twitter” is the cringiest place on the internet. Full of the worst types of people you see at skateparks. Saw some dude saying primitive needed a round of layoffs because the video was too long
Skate twitter is full of guys too scared to post here
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #1116 on: June 07, 2022, 09:22:59 AM »
Expand Quote
as a 32 year old anime boy myself, Primitives anime colabs feel lazy. You have the rights to use the characters, make them interesting. Use iconic scenes, or and  re imagine them. The anime colabs over shadow the brands identity. They make so much money off it, I wonder how much they'll hurt if NHS or Dwindle swooped in poached the licensing from shounen Jump

If we exclude anime, i think primitive has pretty decent graphic direction.
[close]
Yeah I mean Hook Ups does it right with their Akira graphics and stuff, the tiddies ones are obviously a bit more debatable but I'd still rather skate one of those than the Primitive DBZ garbage. I've never been a fan of Primitive's graphics though, those full gold ones were heinous, arguably worse than DBZ.

Get at me when Primitive does a Serial Experiments Lain board and maybe I'll care about them.

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #1117 on: June 07, 2022, 09:46:20 AM »

Link ?

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
« Reply #1118 on: June 07, 2022, 10:53:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Skate twitter is full of guys too scared to post here
[close]
devil's advocate: you could argue that slap is full of people who are too scared to have their real identities linked to some truly atrocious opinions

cold take tho, i think everyone agrees that skate twitter is ass

it's just as easy to anon on twitter as it is on slap.

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #1119 on: June 07, 2022, 10:55:25 AM »
Anonymity is already on borrowed time unfortunately. I fully expect in the oh so near future for there to be AI capable of detecting the author of a post based on word choice and punctuation.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1120 on: June 07, 2022, 12:32:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Palace and the chav culture they promote is wack
[close]

are you from the UK? i grew up in chav culture (north uk) and the only parallel i could possibly draw between palace/chav culture would be some of the outfits and maybe music choices. could argue some of the collabs ie avirex which was a staple of that culture early 2000s, but that was also a part of graff culture hence why they had zomby dds doing promo/artwork for it. i just dont see the connection in the point you're making.

Nah, I’m from Finland. I just am not a fan of the culture Palace seems to be pushing. I personally associate it with the chav culture but I don’t know it very well so I could be way off.

I’m not into all the clean cut Primitive shit but the Palace stuff seem contrived and wack to me. The skating might be fine but the stuff around it I’m not a fan of.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
« Reply #1121 on: June 07, 2022, 03:18:37 PM »
Anonymity is already on borrowed time unfortunately. I fully expect in the oh so near future for there to be AI capable of detecting the author of a post based on word choice and punctuation.

so we should be practicing our Jamaican patois like Sizzla

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1219
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1122 on: June 07, 2022, 03:30:30 PM »
How played out is the emo music in skate videos trend going to get before it’s collectively abandoned?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #1123 on: June 07, 2022, 03:46:18 PM »
@SneakySecrets can you name some examples for reference?

I can think of that vans vid that had a sunny day real estate track and then that new foundation vid had some appleseed cast but that is all that comes to mind

3D X-Ray Vision

« Reply #1124 on: June 07, 2022, 04:20:38 PM »
I'm a registered Democrat but if you can't see that these boards are Left-leaning in terms of politics you are not paying attention. I'm not criticizing you guys, I agree with the majority of you on most of these topics and issues, but I gotta say it is a little bit strange to see how far to the left this place has gone over the last ten years. Not that I'd rather be on Stormfront or whatever but it would be nice to see more difference of opinion around here in other threads besides this one. I like healthy discussions

3D X-Ray Vision

« Reply #1125 on: June 07, 2022, 04:23:28 PM »
BTW I used to take Republicans seriously and try to hear them out too but post-Trump I have absolute zero respect for 'conservatives' whatsoever. I'm not so much Pro-Left as I am Anti-Right. That's my politics in a nutshell before you jump on my back

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
« Reply #1126 on: June 07, 2022, 04:49:49 PM »
I'm a registered Democrat but if you can't see that these boards are Left-leaning in terms of politics you are not paying attention. I'm not criticizing you guys, I agree with the majority of you on most of these topics and issues, but I gotta say it is a little bit strange to see how far to the left this place has gone over the last ten years. Not that I'd rather be on Stormfront or whatever but it would be nice to see more difference of opinion around here in other threads besides this one. I like healthy discussions

we’re all listening pal

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1127 on: June 07, 2022, 04:51:31 PM »

there's plenty of difference of opinions in the truck set up thread on the best way to set up trucks...

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #1128 on: June 07, 2022, 05:19:01 PM »
BTW I used to take Republicans seriously and try to hear them out too but post-Trump I have absolute zero respect for 'conservatives' whatsoever. I'm not so much Pro-Left as I am Anti-Right. That's my politics in a nutshell before you jump on my back

tell us you’re a libertarian without telling us you’re a libertarian

3D X-Ray Vision

« Reply #1129 on: June 07, 2022, 05:22:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

tell us you’re a libertarian without telling us you’re a libertarian
I am absolutely not a Libertarian and as a matter of fact I despise the Pauls especially Rand's twerp ass. I'm an Independent Centrist who votes with Democrats if you insist on putting a label on it

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1130 on: June 07, 2022, 07:19:05 PM »
How played out is the emo music in skate videos trend going to get before it’s collectively abandoned?
I for one fully endorse someone using a Texas is the reason track in 2022!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #1131 on: June 07, 2022, 07:32:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I for one fully endorse someone using a Texas is the reason track in 2022!

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #1132 on: June 07, 2022, 08:41:18 PM »
Dylan Jeab or Diego Najera for SOTY

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1133 on: June 07, 2022, 08:46:12 PM »
Dylan already has 2 parts he just needs 2-3 more in October/November.

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1134 on: June 07, 2022, 09:20:17 PM »
Dylan Jeab or Diego Najera for SOTY

Tom Knox says hi.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #1135 on: June 07, 2022, 09:27:00 PM »
centrists are no better than libertarians
is that unpopular?

If they're just ignorant and don't know better it's one thing... But if they're someone "into politics" and obsess over it and then come away a radical/enlightened centrist... then yeah, it's just as bad.

Someone making their personality "defending capitalism" is extremely cringe. Especially if they go out of their way to talk politics. The type of people that brag about being "independent" when they can't form an independent thought to question Capitalism? Those people are frustrating.

Like "ohhhhhh i dont know, am I going to vote for the openly evil monsters or the other ones? i dont knowwwwwwwwwwww. im an independent and less biased than youuuuu. sometimes the evil monsters make good poooooints. im so smart. horseshoe theory bro".

Aside from those types, centrists are mostly just ignorant/misinformed... but Libertarians typically put a lot of legwork and time into their mental gymnastics for Capitalism. Like somehow they think they are rebels for... supporting the exact economic system that is making things awful. They have no understanding of the real world and how power works. They can be fairly smart people when it comes to math, science, programming... but when it comes to the real world and understanding how power works under Capitalism? Clueless.

Its funny because a lot of them are soooo close to "getting it" but then right at the end they go "and the solution is to get rid of any laws protecting us from the rich and powerful!". Cato Institute training these guys for mental gymnastics like its for an Olympic medal or something.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 02:25:43 AM by FuzzGNU »

3D X-Ray Vision

« Reply #1136 on: June 07, 2022, 09:32:59 PM »
The fuck you talkin bout dog I didn't say half of that shit

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #1137 on: June 07, 2022, 09:45:30 PM »
I hate frogtown skatepark footage
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #1138 on: June 08, 2022, 01:12:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Palace and the chav culture they promote is wack
[close]

are you from the UK? i grew up in chav culture (north uk) and the only parallel i could possibly draw between palace/chav culture would be some of the outfits and maybe music choices. could argue some of the collabs ie avirex which was a staple of that culture early 2000s, but that was also a part of graff culture hence why they had zomby dds doing promo/artwork for it. i just dont see the connection in the point you're making.
[close]

Nah, I’m from Finland. I just am not a fan of the culture Palace seems to be pushing. I personally associate it with the chav culture but I don’t know it very well so I could be way off.

I’m not into all the clean cut Primitive shit but the Palace stuff seem contrived and wack to me. The skating might be fine but the stuff around it I’m not a fan of.

Interesting, curious to know what exactly you think they're pushing? Because chav culture would be the last thing I link it to imo, I mean it's hard to quantify what that culture really is but Palace to me has always seemed representative of the kinda shit the people involved would've grew up around, hence collabs with say Avirex/Zomby DDS who was one of the 90s/early 2ks UK graff kings, very heavily influenced 90's soundtracks etc. You could argue that some of those collabs definitely took some inspo from chav culture with stuff like Reebok, Kappa etc collabs but at the same time I don't think anyone is watching a Palace video and putting on a Helly Hansen jacket before jumping in a 1.2l 2002 Corsa and going to commit petty crimes.

Obviously I have some fair bias on it being from the UK but it's always seemed like one of the more "authentic" brands, the videos have always came across like a bunch of guys just rolling around with a camera and seeing what happens. Some of the collabs as of late definitely fall into dubious territory, but at the same time almost seems like they're just taking the absolute piss and seeing how far they can take it - I mean shit if collabs with Mercedes AMG, Stella and fucking Harrods are giving people like Chewy Cannon and Lucas Puig a solid paycheck, fucking go for it. Let's not forget they raised/donated £50k to LLSB and opened a free indoor park in London, to me they can do no wrong but each to their own.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #1139 on: June 08, 2022, 01:59:42 AM »
The fuck you talkin bout dog I didn't say half of that shit

Sorry, I was on a tangent, and wasn't talking about you specifically. I didn't meant to imply I was. Should have worded things better.