Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 183851 times)

matt_2993

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1740 on: July 30, 2022, 11:12:08 AM »
Nik Stain got way too excited about his noseslide with the drop after in Stallion

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1741 on: July 30, 2022, 12:13:46 PM »
I didn’t realize “thunders are ugly” was even a thing. They’re so simple.

People go out of their way to hate on Thunders more than any other truck brand. Even Feedback would roast them for their corny slogan and logo and large team as if Indy wasn't guilty of the same shit.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #1742 on: July 30, 2022, 12:18:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Thunders are the grey sweatpants of trucks

They make your dick bulge?

nothing's been the since same

tonitonne

« Reply #1743 on: July 30, 2022, 01:35:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

People go out of their way to hate on Thunders more than any other truck brand. Even Feedback would roast them for their corny slogan and logo and large team as if Indy wasn't guilty of the same shit.

Thunder logo is better than any logo indy ever had.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #1744 on: July 30, 2022, 01:51:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They make your dick bulge?
Well grey sweatpants don't actually make your dick bulge more than any other colour sweatpants. More just they are so plain you wouldn't actually think they could be ugly. then you wear them and it somehow doesn't look good. Extremely functional tho. Ventures would be like some nice jeans. Look sharp as but you can't really move properly.

(Just to add the rest of the trucks/pants comparison): Indy are dickies, ace are dickies cut into shorts, wanna say lurpiv are big boys but they've managed to stay around for a bit so maybe lurpiv are those Adidas pants with the snaps down the sides, grind king are Umbro shorts everyone had them in 7th grade and they offered no support, Krux are jncos, tensors are army cargos, royals are dad jeans, theeves are Levi's workpants better than dickies but somehow the company kinda shit the bed skating wise
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 02:08:15 PM by Mean salto »

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #1745 on: July 30, 2022, 02:52:40 PM »
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #1746 on: July 30, 2022, 06:29:53 PM »
Neither Carlos Riberio's Sw Bs Noseblunt or David Reyes 360 Noseblunt down clipper should count.  Neither of them are locked in, and are sliding on top of the ledge as opposed to having any part of the board locked in and hanging over the edge at any duration of the slide. I get wanting to do it on one of the most iconic hubbas of all time,  but the ledge is so rounded now It's nigh-on impossible to lock into that thing.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #1747 on: July 30, 2022, 06:31:55 PM »
Neither Carlos Riberio's Sw Bs Noseblunt or David Reyes 360 Noseblunt down clipper should count.  Neither of them are locked in, and are sliding on top of the ledge as opposed to having any part of the board locked in and hanging over the edge at any duration of the slide. I get wanting to do it on one of the most iconic hubbas of all time,  but the ledge is so rounded now It's nigh-on impossible to lock into that thing.

Wasn’t Darrell’s Ollie over to front blunt the same way?

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #1748 on: July 30, 2022, 06:37:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah it was, he's literally sliding down the middle of the ledge on that trick.

Arto's trick is probably the most locked in blunt on Clipper. His heel is hanging off over the ledge. Ryan Gallant too.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #1749 on: July 30, 2022, 06:54:47 PM »
Dustin Dillon isn’t even the god of hell-fire

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #1750 on: July 30, 2022, 08:54:32 PM »

I mean I’m just picky and this is the unpopular opinion thread.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 567
« Reply #1751 on: July 30, 2022, 09:52:11 PM »
Have been wanting a polar dane 1 shape for a while but didnt have an 9 inch trucks....could have ordered indys or ace for it, but went with the most unpopular pick and got some 9 inch krux k5s for it since they were on sale this week. I may hate them or i may love them. I know the easy choice for me would of been indy or ace but i ride indy on my regular daily setup and wanted to switch it up and try something new. Ill update on the k5 trucks once i ride them

You in the right place my guy?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #1752 on: July 30, 2022, 10:34:15 PM »
Balanced nosegrinds and 5-0s are kinda chat

juniormint

• Rep: 140
« Reply #1753 on: July 30, 2022, 10:40:05 PM »
Thunder is honestly my favorite looking truck just because of how basic it looks. The standard ones, anyway.

Ventures look like tinker toys to me

Thunders are definitely in the “form follows function” category - and there’s definitely something satisfying about that from a design perspective, it looks like the liquified metal hasn’t been forced into a shape it wouldn’t naturally settle into, although of course it has.

Ventures and aces are quite consciously ornamented in comparison. Mies van der Rohe would have probably ridden thunders (secretly wanting to be in ace though) and Robert Venturi would have been on Venture (or Kreeper).

JRF

• Rep: 145
« Reply #1754 on: July 31, 2022, 07:24:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah it was, he's literally sliding down the middle of the ledge on that trick.

Arto's trick is probably the most locked in blunt on Clipper. His heel is hanging off over the ledge. Ryan Gallant too.

Rattray’s fs nose blunt was pretty locked in..
//////////

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1755 on: August 02, 2022, 05:05:53 PM »
Tony Hawks street part in feasters is rad.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #1756 on: August 02, 2022, 05:39:40 PM »
Couple random unpopular opinions:

- I don't mind Eli Reed's dancing. I'd be concerned if he was co-opting the culture, but he seems to have been accepted by the community

- Powell flight decks, Almost uber decks, Tensor trucks...whatever, you're skating, who cares. If it works for you, ride it

- Nothing wrong with buying a classic reissue if you're a board collector. So what if it's a reissue, you've got the artwork and can appreciate it

- Supreme is sick. They do a lot of amazing artist collabs, give to charities through their sales, have a rich history, and put out great videos

- I know nothing about cameras so VX or HD is fine with me. The real grainy VX sucks though. Whatever was used to film 5 Flavors is probably the best camera, I don't know

- Overly tech mini-ramp tricks aren't much fun to watch

- Double flips are acceptable when they're over gaps, stairs (when caught midair), or on banks

- Combo tricks on rails, like 5050 to boardslide for example, are acceptable (usually)

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #1757 on: August 02, 2022, 06:41:41 PM »
^ madam i agree with everything you said. As a 1st gen jamaican I appreciate Eli's representation for the scene down there, and also I'm glad out of all the east coast guys it was him because he clearly loves and cares for dancehall and all that. Supreme is cool because theyve hooked up good skaters, esp. guys who maybe didn't fit in other places in skating. Ryan Hickey, Aiden Mackey, Antihero, so on. Sometimes it seems people don't acknowledge the scale of the company and the hype around their basic-ass clothes is crazy and sorta awful , though. Though with resale dying down it seems a lot of stuff is accessible. I like how guys like TJ, Rowan and Ben Kadow rock their shit, like it's an afterthought

Edit: Obviously Antihero has a place in skating... and they sell boards. But obviously they're anti- a lot of the things that dictate mainstream skateboarding, even as DLX and Supreme grow. I mean, look at Kanfoush. Though he did wallie a homeless person in Urban Mutation i think. As an overeducated "punk" I relate to their view on shit
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1758 on: August 02, 2022, 06:43:13 PM »
^ madam i agree with everything you said. As a 1st gen jamaican I appreciate Eli's representation for the scene down there, and also I'm glad out of all the east coast guys it was him because he clearly loves and cares for dancehall and all that. Supreme is cool because theyve hooked up good skaters, esp. guys who maybe didn't fit in other places in skating. Ryan Hickey, Aiden Mackey, Antihero, so on. Sometimes it seems people don't acknowledge the scale of the company and the hype around their basic-ass clothes is crazy and sorta awful , though. Though with resale dying down it seems a lot of stuff is accessible. I like how guys like TJ, Rowan and Ben Kadow rock their shit, like it's an afterthought

This is the unpopular opinion thread, not the i agree with everything you said thread. You must CANCEL THIS MAN for his crimes against skateboarding

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #1759 on: August 02, 2022, 06:49:49 PM »

- Overly tech mini-ramp tricks aren't much fun to watch

I really don't like transition tech tricks that are just flipping out of stalls and practically landing to flat instead of the transition.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #1760 on: August 02, 2022, 06:52:26 PM »

- I don't mind Eli Reed's dancing. I'd be concerned if he was co-opting the culture, but he seems to have been accepted by the community

Does anyone disagree with this? It seems like he's beloved and no one doubts his sincere appreciation of Dancehall culture.

Also I'll die on this hill - people can dance to and perform *whatever* music they want, "culture" be damned.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1761 on: August 02, 2022, 07:41:51 PM »
Dan Corrigan kind of has good style.

Not sure who he is or what YT is but I said it...

tonitonne

« Reply #1762 on: August 02, 2022, 08:00:32 PM »
Proper backside feeble on a ledge is really good. Rarely seen though.

veritas

« Reply #1763 on: August 03, 2022, 04:18:50 AM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JeIAQBTAw5A

It seems like he's beloved and no one doubts his sincere appreciation of Dancehall culture.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #1764 on: August 03, 2022, 04:30:52 AM »
Adrian Brody introducing Sean Paul on SNL walked so Eli and Chet could run

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -62
« Reply #1765 on: August 03, 2022, 09:48:55 AM »
Dan Corrigan kind of has good style.

Not sure who he is or what YT is but I said it...

I can't watch Dan Corrigan because he always holds the camera like two inches from his rat nest beard.
Fucking trim that thing, dude. You shouldn't have a bunch of 3" long stray hairs way up on your cheekbones.
And shave your fucking neck too. Dude out here looking like he should be holding a cardboard "hungry anything helps" sign on a highway offramp.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1766 on: August 03, 2022, 10:31:13 AM »
The “forbidden 14” thing is stupid. I like boardslides and I like scratched up graphics. I feel weird skating a board that’s partially pristine just cuz I tried to keep it that way.

IpathCats

« Reply #1767 on: August 03, 2022, 11:32:02 AM »
The “forbidden 14” thing is stupid. I like boardslides and I like scratched up graphics. I feel weird skating a board that’s partially pristine just cuz I tried to keep it that way.

agree. front boards are in my top 5 favorite tricks. idc what my board looks like. BEAT IT coolguy ledge dudes.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -62
« Reply #1768 on: August 03, 2022, 11:41:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

agree. front boards are in my top 5 favorite tricks. idc what my board looks like. BEAT IT coolguy ledge dudes.

I didn't think that was really a thing anymore?
I probably look like a forbidden 14 guy cause generally don't do a lot of boardslides, I do shitloads of nose and tail slides tho.
It's nothing against board slides or anything, it's just not a trick a do a lot. 

tonitonne

« Reply #1769 on: August 03, 2022, 11:42:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You front board ledges though?