Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 183772 times)

backside_frontside

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -291
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1920 on: August 24, 2022, 10:09:25 AM »
Damn I guess this unpopular too but properly locked (heel side) frontside 50-50’s are cooler than cross-locked IMO (also from PA). Leo Romero has never known a cross locked front 50 and I respect the shit out him for that. He could properly 50-50 any rail. Same with David Gravette.

The backside 50-50 gets a pass for the cross-lock as locking toe side or heel side seems very scary, but I’ve seen a few examples of toeside locking both trucks which is impressive as hell.

The cross lock in general has always seemed like cheating to me and seems like a recent development. I swear 10+ years ago it was way less common, but so was grinding insane multi-kinked rails.

Welpok

• Rep: 11
« Reply #1921 on: August 24, 2022, 10:13:34 AM »
Damn I guess this unpopular too but properly locked (heel side) frontside 50-50’s are cooler than cross-locked IMO (also from PA). Leo Romero has never known a cross locked front 50 and I respect the shit out him for that. He could properly 50-50 any rail. Same with David Gravette.

The backside 50-50 gets a pass for the cross-lock as locking toe side or heel side seems very scary, but I’ve seen a few examples of toeside locking both trucks which is impressive as hell.

The cross lock in general has always seemed like cheating to me and seems like a recent development. I swear 10+ years ago it was way less common, but so was grinding insane multi-kinked rails.
Yo, I feel the same way about this one.
SLAP: come for the gossip, stay for the lk130 Stylin’ On You attempts

“More celebrities know of me than I know of them.” -James T. Greco

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -61
« Reply #1922 on: August 24, 2022, 10:41:33 AM »
I think cross lock looks gross.
I get it as a utilitarian technique for a super long, sketchy grind but I definitely don't think it looks better than a nice heel locked 50.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1923 on: August 24, 2022, 10:43:56 AM »
es Menikmati has too much slo-mo

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #1924 on: August 24, 2022, 10:58:49 AM »
es Menikmati has too much slo-mo
it’s frankly unwatchable

d.passarella

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1925 on: August 24, 2022, 11:08:05 AM »

it was probably less common because people used smaller and tighter trucks, now rail skaters use at minimun 149 and really loose trucks, its easier to cross-lock with nowadays setups

work_lurker

• Rep: 61
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #1926 on: August 24, 2022, 11:50:20 AM »
who the fuck cares about 50-50 lock-ins? I've never heard about this even being a thing prior to maybe, 5 years ago? If you have both trucks on the rail it is a 50-50. That's it. Is skateboarding some fucking deranged reality TV show, competing with America's Next Top Model? Are you weird fucks going to start judging the angle of a tailslide or noseslide? How TURNT and DIPPED should a smith be? Full hater-mode here, I've seen some green-ass people trying tricks on a ledge or rail and I've never felt the urge to comment "yeah I know you're just learning, but you shouldn't do 50-50's like that because the lock-in is wrong." I tap my board, and say "Fuck yeah, you got that shit!" and let the young padawan flail awkwardly while they figure out what works for them. Some of y'all are like the overweight, fat slob watching the olympics and critiquing the athletes for not stomping the landing.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #1927 on: August 24, 2022, 11:56:49 AM »
who the fuck cares about 50-50 lock-ins? I've never heard about this even being a thing prior to maybe, 5 years ago? If you have both trucks on the rail it is a 50-50. That's it. Is skateboarding some fucking deranged reality TV show, competing with America's Next Top Model? Are you weird fucks going to start judging the angle of a tailslide or noseslide? How TURNT and DIPPED should a smith be? Full hater-mode here, I've seen some green-ass people trying tricks on a ledge or rail and I've never felt the urge to comment "yeah I know you're just learning, but you shouldn't do 50-50's like that because the lock-in is wrong." I tap my board, and say "Fuck yeah, you got that shit!" and let the young padawan flail awkwardly while they figure out what works for them. Some of y'all are like the overweight, fat slob watching the olympics and critiquing the athletes for not stomping the landing.

I don’t think anyone said they don’t count one way or another just people having a discussion on what everyone prefers. Which seems to be pretty much 50/50 (see what I did there)
No one is complaining about how dipped a smith should be but dipped smiths look better. In my opinion

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #1928 on: August 24, 2022, 12:20:55 PM »

I don't think anybody would call out somebody in real life about how they lock a 5050.
Smiths are something different, I've seen people do a low 5-0 and think they did a smith. It even happened to myself when trying bs smiths. The footage told me I haven't done shit.
But I think the consensus is that the front wheel needs to be below ledge height. I personally think the deck needs to touch the ledge for it to be a legit smith. Right?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #1929 on: August 24, 2022, 12:26:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't think anybody would call out somebody in real life about how they lock a 5050.
Smiths are something different, I've seen people do a low 5-0 and think they did a smith. It even happened to myself when trying bs smiths. The footage told me I haven't done shit.
But I think the consensus is that the front wheel needs to be below ledge height. I personally think the deck needs to touch the ledge for it to be a legit smith. Right?
Yeah boards gotta be rubbing to be a Smith. No excuse really these days with the wider boards/trucks would often see back Smith's not done properly years ago on skinny boards because the front heel is in the way

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1930 on: August 24, 2022, 12:40:08 PM »

If I see anyone do a cross lock 50, an improperly angled tail or nose slide, or an undipped smith, I spray them with the hose and say "GO ON GIT! GIT ON OUTTA HERE NOW YA HEAR?!".
Then I sue them.

quackquack

• Rep: -378
« Reply #1931 on: August 24, 2022, 12:46:22 PM »
You might as well do a bs feeble if you're going to cross-lock the whole-way down - and I hate bs feebles.

To me, the cross-lock is the hell-ride solution to "I think I'm too drunk to grind this rail".

Damn kids doing what they want on their ska-boards.
Oh, the places you'll go.

work_lurker

« Reply #1932 on: August 24, 2022, 12:53:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If I see anyone do a cross lock 50, an improperly angled tail or nose slide, or an undipped smith, I spray them with the hose and say "GO ON GIT! GIT ON OUTTA HERE NOW YA HEAR?!".
Then I sue them.

This is the kind of whole-hearted passion I love to see. Thank you for being consistent.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #1933 on: August 24, 2022, 01:02:56 PM »
cross lock reminds me of when rollerbladers do that little squat thing when they grind rails

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #1934 on: August 24, 2022, 01:17:09 PM »

Critiquing skate videos is not the same as yelling at strangers at the park man
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1935 on: August 24, 2022, 01:54:30 PM »
cross lock reminds me of when rollerbladers do that little squat thing when they grind rails

Thanks, I'll never not see that now.

work_lurker

« Reply #1936 on: August 24, 2022, 02:00:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Critiquing skate videos is not the same as yelling at strangers at the park man

That's the difference between our generations brother.

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #1937 on: August 24, 2022, 02:21:12 PM »
I enjoy a cross lock.
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

skatebruh

• Rep: 27
« Reply #1938 on: August 24, 2022, 03:07:29 PM »

I'm on team cross lock.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1939 on: August 24, 2022, 03:09:22 PM »

I'm on team cross lock.

I'm on team bike lock

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -291
« Reply #1940 on: August 24, 2022, 03:11:06 PM »

I’m talking about pros/ams dude. That caveat should be obvious. I don’t hold my homies to that kind of standard. And of course cross-lock counts as a 50-50, it’s just a little sloppier and takes away most of the difficultly of grinding round rails. It looks rollerblade-y. These are just opinions man, on a forum where we discuss skateboarding.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1941 on: August 24, 2022, 03:27:57 PM »

I'm on team cross lock.

Funny, judging by these pics I was sure it was a W for team heel lock.
Cross lock looks like "oops I missed the smith".

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1942 on: August 24, 2022, 03:29:36 PM »
Expand Quote

I'm on team cross lock.
[close]

Funny, judging by these pics I was sure it was a W for team heel lock.
Cross lock looks like "oops I missed the smith".
Cross lock is hellride
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #1943 on: August 24, 2022, 03:35:47 PM »
Elijah killed the 5050 as an impressive trick. If he's doing em Im not interested heel lock or not.
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Magnolia

• Rep: 412
  • She/They
« Reply #1944 on: August 24, 2022, 03:56:54 PM »

This is how I feel about it too (also from PA)
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1945 on: August 24, 2022, 04:08:40 PM »

I'm on team cross lock.

who was going faster

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1946 on: August 24, 2022, 04:12:43 PM »
Expand Quote

I'm on team cross lock.
[close]

who was going faster

betting gt.

first photo kind of looks unreal with the lighting. like a film set.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1947 on: August 24, 2022, 04:26:13 PM »
Expand Quote

I'm on team cross lock.
[close]

who was going faster

They were both going mach speed by the time they got off the rail, I can promise you that. That spot is on the steepest fucking corner

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #1948 on: August 24, 2022, 04:36:12 PM »
I'd say cross lock is the better way, simply because that's how to do it on transition. Otherwise you're just riding on top and it feels and looks stupid. Talking about frontside of course.
I say that as a heel locker. Currently trying to get them crossed on transition but it's so weird to re-learn...

work_lurker

« Reply #1949 on: August 24, 2022, 04:40:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m talking about pros/ams dude. That caveat should be obvious. I don’t hold my homies to that kind of standard. And of course cross-lock counts as a 50-50, it’s just a little sloppier and takes away most of the difficultly of grinding round rails. It looks rollerblade-y. These are just opinions man, on a forum where we discuss skateboarding.

Pros/Ams are just friends that made it. Don't hate the homies, let em know that you love em regardless of how their wheels are positioned on a rail. Also, rollerblading is tight. I wish I could grind a 99-kink rail down the side of a literal roller coaster.