Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 184563 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #2040 on: September 15, 2022, 06:03:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Idk I’ve saved myself a lot of rolled ankles from wearing high tops. Like if I was wearing lows I would have fully fucked my shit up. Happened just last night in fact. And if you do actually roll it, it’s not as bad as it would have been. I used to wear ankle braces under my lows but that’s just too bulky.
[close]

Like others have said, its about your foot moving around in side the shoe. I'm a high top guy myself. I think its more due to my foot shape though. I have a very skinny heel, but i cant stand my toes being crunched together, it makes the bottom of my foot where my toes connect swell like crazy if they are. Because of this, i cant really find lows that lock my ankle in super good without fucking my toes up. I'm also kind of in between sizes and really jacked my feet up going to the smaller size for a while. So now i go to the slightly bigger size and yank those hightops snug around my slim ass ankles/legs. I have definitely been in situations where i was like "i would have just rolled my shit if it wasnt for these shoes" though.

Expand Quote

If we’re going with high tops and unpopular opinions?  Cabs?  The most common shoe to roll your ankle in….
[close]

FR? I used to skate SK8-his a lot, but ive been on cupsoles for a while. was considering getting some halfcabs or SK8-his again recently though. Def not going with the cabs if theyre prone to that shit. my weak ass ankles cant handle that.
Just gonna guess it could be due to people mostly wearing the halfcabs kinda loose to get the classic look. They're actually not even real mids if you put them next to a low shoe they're about the same height but the collar is cut square across and the L shape is kinda deceptive

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #2041 on: September 15, 2022, 07:38:46 AM »
Expand Quote
es shoes are gret you trendy kook
[close]

lets get you to bed grandpa

😢

During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

IpathCats

« Reply #2042 on: September 15, 2022, 07:57:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Idk I’ve saved myself a lot of rolled ankles from wearing high tops. Like if I was wearing lows I would have fully fucked my shit up. Happened just last night in fact. And if you do actually roll it, it’s not as bad as it would have been. I used to wear ankle braces under my lows but that’s just too bulky.
[close]

Like others have said, its about your foot moving around in side the shoe. I'm a high top guy myself. I think its more due to my foot shape though. I have a very skinny heel, but i cant stand my toes being crunched together, it makes the bottom of my foot where my toes connect swell like crazy if they are. Because of this, i cant really find lows that lock my ankle in super good without fucking my toes up. I'm also kind of in between sizes and really jacked my feet up going to the smaller size for a while. So now i go to the slightly bigger size and yank those hightops snug around my slim ass ankles/legs. I have definitely been in situations where i was like "i would have just rolled my shit if it wasnt for these shoes" though.

Expand Quote

If we’re going with high tops and unpopular opinions?  Cabs?  The most common shoe to roll your ankle in….
[close]

FR? I used to skate SK8-his a lot, but ive been on cupsoles for a while. was considering getting some halfcabs or SK8-his again recently though. Def not going with the cabs if theyre prone to that shit. my weak ass ankles cant handle that.
[close]
Just gonna guess it could be due to people mostly wearing the halfcabs kinda loose to get the classic look. They're actually not even real mids if you put them next to a low shoe they're about the same height but the collar is cut square across and the L shape is kinda deceptive

Yea i would def crank them down tight, function over form. Maybe ill just have to take a gamble on them and my ankles. it is about to be cold out, so it might be the best time lol. if i fuck my shit up bad in the next month or so it should heal by spring haha.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #2043 on: September 15, 2022, 11:55:48 AM »
A lot of users here are observably more harsh on black skaters.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #2044 on: September 15, 2022, 12:05:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Yea i would def crank them down tight, function over form. Maybe ill just have to take a gamble on them and my ankles. it is about to be cold out, so it might be the best time lol. if i fuck my shit up bad in the next month or so it should heal by spring haha.

i just bought some athletic stabilizer tape stuff in hopes of being able to skate lows with some of the same security. i also have some scholls heel liners. they can work pretty well if you have skinny heels if you want some lows to fit. maybe not good enough for skating in them, but if you want to wear lows for chilling and struggle with heel lock i'd give these a go. they obviously work especially well in shoes with no cushion at all, like authentics. 

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #2045 on: September 15, 2022, 12:07:16 PM »
facts

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062
« Reply #2046 on: September 15, 2022, 12:08:39 PM »

what do you expect from a forum that didn't know a dorag was a hair care product and not a fashion accessory

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #2047 on: September 15, 2022, 12:09:28 PM »
Yup
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

IpathCats

« Reply #2048 on: September 15, 2022, 12:19:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

what do you expect from a forum that didn't know a dorag durag was a hair care product and not a fashion accessory

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2049 on: September 15, 2022, 12:25:41 PM »
I am definitely harsh on Beatrice, think that Dill exploits non-white cultures, and don't think TJ is a great businessman, but I'll offer up way more critiques of white skaters. I don't think anyone would notice me praising many other non-white skaters, like defending VA as last part in Bunnyhop, bringing up Adrian Williams any time I can, or hyping up Jameel Douglas. People only remember the bad. I would be curious if someone could actually web crawl slap and figure out the answer to this point like do a sentiment analysis for black vs white skater parts.

What always happens in any thread critiquing a black skater is the claims that we are only critiquing them because of their race. The Beatrice thread is a great example. Then it descends into heated chaos and the threads just grow into ugliness. I definitely notice that whereas most white critiques just end up in jokes and memes. My theory is that the internet brings out negativity and platforms like message boards, Twitter, etc. are often just a video game of how can be the most argumentative and mean. Those threads turn into a time bomb of this behavior.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #2050 on: September 15, 2022, 12:33:58 PM »
idk man, I don't trust anyone that feels the need to write two paragraphs defending themselves when they see a nonspecific comment about black people being criticized unfairly. That's like the "I have a black friend" of Slap comments.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #2051 on: September 15, 2022, 12:35:44 PM »
Sus to assume that he's talking about you.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

sacking rails

• Rep: -222
  • sacking rails
« Reply #2052 on: September 15, 2022, 12:36:02 PM »
get em get em

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2053 on: September 15, 2022, 12:40:08 PM »
I'm not assuming he is talking about me. I'm just writing dialogue about the subject he brought up. I do know I was kooked about 40 times for comments in that thread so yah, I do assume that what I said bothered someone. I'd rather speak about an experience I know about and have evidence on than speculate.

I also think that there is a bias in the discourse towards negativity in those threads since they inevitably spawn an argument about racism. People recall negative events more than positive especially when they're 15 page cesspools.

As for length I type fast so I type a lot. Sorry, I guess?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2054 on: September 15, 2022, 06:19:41 PM »
As someone who hates a fair amount, I find there are tons of perfectly good white male skaters to hate on….

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1209
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2055 on: September 15, 2022, 06:31:29 PM »
Slow news day on slap, time to make some vague accusation of endemic racism.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

nevrwasben

« Reply #2056 on: September 15, 2022, 06:34:11 PM »
idk man, I don't trust anyone that feels the need to write two paragraphs defending themselves when they see a nonspecific comment about black people being criticized unfairly. That's like the "I have a black friend" of Slap comments.
Hahahaha
As someone who hates a fair amount, I find there are tons of perfectly good white male skaters to hate on….
Same same
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 06:47:03 PM by nevrwasben »

sacking rails

• sacking rails
« Reply #2057 on: September 15, 2022, 06:45:08 PM »
Slow news day on slap, time to make some vague accusation of endemic racism.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #2058 on: September 15, 2022, 06:54:27 PM »
i think he was mad that i wanted to see a legit kader part

sacking rails

• sacking rails
« Reply #2059 on: September 15, 2022, 06:56:17 PM »

wait you like his skating and want to see a full length of it? racist bastard

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #2060 on: September 15, 2022, 07:33:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

i just bought some athletic stabilizer tape stuff in hopes of being able to skate lows with some of the same security. i also have some scholls heel liners. they can work pretty well if you have skinny heels if you want some lows to fit. maybe not good enough for skating in them, but if you want to wear lows for chilling and struggle with heel lock i'd give these a go. they obviously work especially well in shoes with no cushion at all, like authentics.

With half cabs I’ve noticed the sole is skinnier than the upper. So if you’re coming down and your foot isn’t completely flat your ankle is prone to roll in that direction. Couple that with the fact most wear em loose and it seems like a death trap to me. Rolled quite a few ankles in halfcabs back in the day. I haven’t worn them in years so I don’t know if they’re still made like that…

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2061 on: September 15, 2022, 10:41:41 PM »
I mean while we’re dog piling on this over celebrated ankle rolling wonder of a shoe…..how does purple haired rector pirate Kevin Staab receive sweet fuck all despite the fact he invented the half cab….

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #2062 on: September 15, 2022, 10:54:30 PM »
I mean while we’re dog piling on this over celebrated ankle rolling wonder of a shoe…..how does purple haired rector pirate Kevin Staab receive sweet fuck all despite the fact he invented the half cab….
This is the reason I couldn't care less about Caballero crying over the nollie cab. Doesn't want his name on the trick he didn't invent boo hoo better take it off the other dozen with cab in the name

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #2063 on: September 16, 2022, 12:09:11 AM »
I do know I was kooked about 40 times for comments in that thread so yah, I do assume that what I said bothered someone.

I think a pal can only kook the same person once in a 24 hour period.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

benboardbreaker

• Rep: 49
« Reply #2064 on: September 16, 2022, 12:42:14 AM »

sacking rails

• sacking rails
« Reply #2065 on: September 16, 2022, 04:37:22 AM »
same guys buying es still are skating a 7.6 almost deck with tensors and pig wheels calling their 360 shuvs impossibles and challenging teenagers to a game of skate

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #2066 on: September 16, 2022, 06:38:08 AM »

I don't understand how you missed kader's output though. He dropped something literally this week
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #2067 on: September 16, 2022, 06:58:04 AM »
I’m lol at
and don't think TJ is a great businessman,

Dude is not even 25 yet and literally accomplished more than most pro skaters / people will ever accomplish in a career .

dannyprovolone

« Reply #2068 on: September 16, 2022, 07:32:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

wait you like his skating and want to see a full length of it? racist bastard

im still not sure how he made that connection

KinkyRailsRailed4u

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 93
  • Here For Friendship :)
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2069 on: September 16, 2022, 07:38:51 AM »
I'll preface this by stating I hold contempt for the Jah.

The Nike Nyjah Shoeston's skate better than the Cons Shoeie Lopez's. So much better support in the Shoeston's.
Kids don't know about kindness these days.