Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 185843 times)

wahwahwah

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #2220 on: September 27, 2022, 04:09:20 AM »
My honest opinion is that skate shoes are in a very odd period right now where people are either firmly thin, or firmly thick. I think the industry as a whole needs some change. Vans is oversaturating their market with cheap shoes, Sole tech doesn't know what direction they're going, Lakai is happy with being ten years in the past, DC has one foot in OG and one foot in the type of stuff that relegated them to bargain bin fodder, Adidas throws out the same crap as always and is losing ground in skate shops, Nike is complacent, new balance is pretty decent, last resort is good, converse is alright, and everyone else is seemingly irrelevant.
It's incredibly boring to walk into a skate shop and see the exact same thing:
- Nike Ishod, Blazer, or Dunk if you're lucky
- Last Resort in several color ways
- 1 or 2 OG DC models
- Lakai Cambridge/Telford
- Typical Vans
- New Balance 1010
Maybe I'm just jaded, but I wish there was just something different once in a while. I was looking at old CCS catalogs, and it seemed like each year there was tons of brand new models, brand new companies even. Besides the 808 and Ishod, what has really come out this year? The latest company to hit the scene is last resort, and that was two years ago.

eh i dont really feel like we need new companies and shit

would like to see more models tho from DC especially new colorways get boring quick (not in the lynx tho)

even tho im good in my lynx i would like to try some different shit too
Sipe nousee sisään,
Niin nousee herkkokin.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #2221 on: September 27, 2022, 04:20:39 AM »
Just to throw in the opposite opinion. Do we really need a bunch of new shit all the time? I kinda liked when a skateshop only needed like 12 shoes, 3 trucks, 3 bearings, 4 wheels, nobody ever even thought about griptape and boards were basically as the same shape in sizes going up an 1/8 from 7.75 to 8.5 and then maybe a few random bigger or smaller. If you were cool it was because you just were cool not just because you had cool stuff.

wahwahwah

« Reply #2222 on: September 27, 2022, 04:24:01 AM »
Just to throw in the opposite opinion. Do we really need a bunch of new shit all the time? I kinda liked when a skateshop only needed like 12 shoes, 3 trucks, 3 bearings, 4 wheels, nobody ever even thought about griptape and boards were basically as the same shape in sizes going up an 1/8 from 7.75 to 8.5 and then maybe a few random bigger or smaller. If you were cool it was because you just were cool not just because you had cool stuff.

there is fuck ton of different people and they have different styles of skating and dressing ofcourse we need a buch of different shit

for example compare philly dc skaters to FA or some shit like that no way 12 shoes is enough
Sipe nousee sisään,
Niin nousee herkkokin.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2223 on: September 27, 2022, 05:01:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

there is fuck ton of different people and they have different styles of skating and dressing ofcourse we need a buch of different shit

for example compare philly dc skaters to FA or some shit like that no way 12 shoes is enough
So if you don't have the exact product you stop being you? I don't like accells but just to use them as an example pretty much every type of skater in the late 90s/ early 00s wore them and were still whatever style of person they wanted to be. Shimizu and Todd Jordan wore dunks and so did Wade and Stevie. Duffel wore superstars and campus so did drake jones

wahwahwah

« Reply #2224 on: September 27, 2022, 05:04:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
So if you don't have the exact product you stop being you? I don't like accells but just to use them as an example pretty much every type of skater in the late 90s/ early 00s wore them and were still whatever style of person they wanted to be. Shimizu and Todd Jordan wore dunks and so did Wade and Stevie. Duffel wore superstars and campus so did drake jones

jahmir brown or kevin bilyeu wouldnt be themselves in any other shoes than dcs

Sipe nousee sisään,
Niin nousee herkkokin.

fur lined sea

• Rep: 234
« Reply #2225 on: September 27, 2022, 06:51:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Shoes don't make a personality.

Globes Opinion made me depressed for years.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #2226 on: September 27, 2022, 07:41:11 AM »

Fuck no. We are not entitled to the worlds crumbling resources just because we get bored of skate product .

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #2227 on: September 27, 2022, 09:14:17 AM »

How else are people going to fill the void left in their heart by the absence of meaningful work, social and religious connections, and a collapsing biosphere? Pedal to the metal, baby - the US is the consumer of Last Resort and we are gonna drive this thing straight into the wall!
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #2228 on: September 27, 2022, 10:54:53 AM »
Only old dudes regrip their boards. I did it for the first time a few months ago and it felt shameful

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2229 on: September 27, 2022, 10:56:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How else are people going to fill the void left in their heart by the absence of meaningful work, social and religious connections, and a collapsing biosphere? Pedal to the metal, baby - the US is the consumer of Last Resort and we are gonna drive this thing straight into the wall!

to paraphrase a great leader: “…now watch this frontside 5-0”

sacking rails

• Rep: -222
  • sacking rails
« Reply #2230 on: September 27, 2022, 10:57:24 AM »
fuck that shit just go buy a new deck from the local

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2207
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2231 on: September 27, 2022, 05:34:27 PM »
Officially an old dude & I have NEVER regripped a deck.
I can feel your shame through the screen & I want you to know: it’s not your fault.
Well… okay, it is.
But I still like you.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

$$LESH

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #2232 on: September 27, 2022, 05:38:33 PM »
weird to think there is still 12 shoe brands in existence 

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #2233 on: September 27, 2022, 05:55:00 PM »
Only old dudes regrip their boards. I did it for the first time a few months ago and it felt shameful
Did you smear it with poop and take it to the local shop for them? That’s what all the cool kids are doing.

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 280
« Reply #2234 on: September 27, 2022, 06:09:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Shoes don't make a personality.

God Hank Scorpio is so great. You know outside of the whole world domination thing.

Could totally see Jahmir in Superstars and Bilyeu in Tiagos

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #2235 on: September 27, 2022, 09:23:36 PM »
Officially an old dude & I have NEVER regripped a deck.
I can feel your shame through the screen & I want you to know: it’s not your fault.
Well… okay, it is.
But I still like you.
Thank you. I needed to hear that.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2236 on: September 28, 2022, 01:55:51 AM »

I’m old and I regrip almost all my boards. Why wouldn’t I? I usually can’t manage to fuck up my board bad enough to toss them when the grip is already so worn down that it bothers me. I do skate a lot of dusty spots and like to twist my foot too much while setting up. Some shitty grips are good for like 5 sessions. I’ve now switched 100% to Jessup UltraGrip as it seems to wear down slowest for me. Still, no point in wasting a perfectly good board if the grip has gone bald. I have no shame in trying to be a bit more ecological and skating a board longer helps in getting used to it and me skating better.

sacking rails

• sacking rails
« Reply #2237 on: September 28, 2022, 04:05:20 AM »
come on bro youre an adult just give your old decks away to local kids like everyone else does. helps out young rippers and your local shop. "but this board still has life in it" yeah then go give it to someone who skates more than curbs and miniramp 3 times a month.

Dirty Douggie

• Rep: 11
« Reply #2238 on: September 28, 2022, 04:30:33 AM »
Skateboarders are consumerist brats and have zero ecological awareness. The display of product and gear that are barely used by some pros makes me sick.
The new generation is even worse on that matter (Supreme crew, FA, Hardies dudes, etc.)

Ecology is very unpopular in the industry. The only people showing ecological awareness are considered very uncool in the culture (often rightfully so, but it's still a shame), with few exceptions.

Uncool :
- Cariuma (low carbon footprint is actually their main commercial argument)
- Element : no too sure as to where they stand, but with all the the fucking tree logos, they must have something going on (they made cruisers out of used boards at some point, they have nature camps...)
- Sole Tech and their Plant a Tree campaign.

Cool :
- Silas Baxter Neal
- pre #Metoo Kenny Anderson and his used oil-running car
- KA and Vincent Alvarez are among the few skaters I have heard talking about trying to make their board last
- pre hell-ride Evan Smith talked about that subject
- Sheep shoes
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 04:44:43 AM by Dirty Douggie »

WavyDavy

• Rep: 128
« Reply #2239 on: September 28, 2022, 04:30:54 AM »

Def feel the same towards product variety, especially towards shoes. Just check some random sport/fashion outlet/clearance websites and youll find always some horrible vans, adidas, etnies or dc shes in heinous colorways no sane person would buy, but that shit is still produced, producing waste and killing our planet.
or take a look what kind of accessoirues companies are producing and selling. chocolate camping chairs, toy machine puzzles, lakai air freshener, etc...fuck that shit

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #2240 on: September 28, 2022, 04:37:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Def feel the same towards product variety, especially towards shoes. Just check some random sport/fashion outlet/clearance websites and youll find always some horrible vans, adidas, etnies or dc shes in heinous colorways no sane person would buy, but shit is still produced, producing waste and killing our planet.
or take a look what kind of accessoirues companies are producing and selling. chocolate camping chairs, toy machine puzzles, lakai air freshener, etc...fuck that shit

I buy the heinous colorways when they are on sale. I have three pairs of green Busenitzes on ice that were reduced in price.

The argument about back in the day (If you were cool it was because you just were cool not just because you had cool stuff) is not true. If you wore or skated the wrong brand in the 90s you were kooked into oblivion.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2241 on: September 28, 2022, 04:45:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Def feel the same towards product variety, especially towards shoes. Just check some random sport/fashion outlet/clearance websites and youll find always some horrible vans, adidas, etnies or dc shes in heinous colorways no sane person would buy, but that shit is still produced, producing waste and killing our planet.
When I brought it up I was less thinking about environmental impact, more how much a fucking pain it must be for shops but it's another good reason.(perhaps even a better one). Also being from aus all that misc. gear is a joke. Can't respect anyone knowing they paid $40 for a krooked mug or skate mental frisbee when you can get that shit for $1 from Kmart.

Dirty Douggie

• Rep: 11
« Reply #2242 on: September 28, 2022, 04:58:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I just hate those videos where some random pro goes to a warehouse and picks up a huge amount of useless shit and unecessary amount of product.

IpathCats

« Reply #2243 on: September 28, 2022, 06:23:29 AM »
Your friends new brand sucks.

Most brands are forgettable and disposable.

Just because you want to be creative and expressive through some brand or idea doesn't mean its valuable.

Not everyone gets to make money off what they love.

Keep your shitty ideas small until they turn into good ones that are worth the space they take up and the waste they create.

Sorry, there is an epidemic of kids starting "brands" in my area and its driving me nuts.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #2244 on: September 28, 2022, 06:47:50 AM »

Yeah but I don’t have the heart to tell them.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

sacking rails

• sacking rails
« Reply #2245 on: September 28, 2022, 06:53:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah but I don’t have the heart to tell them.

soft

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #2246 on: September 28, 2022, 06:58:06 AM »

Just because you want to be creative and expressive through some brand or idea doesn't mean its valuable.

Keep your shitty ideas small until they turn into good ones that are worth the space they take up and the waste they create.

Sorry, there is an epidemic of kids starting "brands" in my area and its driving me nuts.

Agreed. Spend some years pursuing work with a genuine quality brand thats been around and actually learn some shit before just starting from nothing with nothing to offer

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #2247 on: September 28, 2022, 07:14:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Agreed. Spend some years pursuing work with a genuine quality brand thats been around and actually learn some shit before just starting from nothing with nothing to offer

nah, fuck all this.

Take chances, do dumb shit, have fun. Starting a brand isn't something sacred. It's just some shit to do. If it sucks, atleast you had fun  hopefully learned something, so maybe when you're older you can start something that sucks less.

IpathCats

« Reply #2248 on: September 28, 2022, 07:27:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

nah, fuck all this.

Take chances, do dumb shit, have fun. Starting a brand isn't something sacred. It's just some shit to do. If it sucks, atleast you had fun  hopefully learned something, so maybe when you're older you can start something that sucks less.

I agree with not being scared to try something, and it's ok to have shitty projects/make mistakes. People should def explore themselves and create things. What I'm saying is that people should be more critical of their own ideas, see them for what they are, and try not to blast them everywhere until the idea is worth doing that over. The amount of noise and waste is just overwhelming and I'm sick of it. 90% of these bullshit clothing brands are not worth the cotton they print their logos on. No I dont want to buy a $40 gildan t with some ironic parody logo on it just because you dont want to work a dayjob, neither does anyone that knows you, they just dont have the heart to tell you it sucks.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2249 on: September 28, 2022, 07:34:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

nah, fuck all this.

[close]

I agree with not being scared to try something, and it's ok to have shitty projects/make mistakes. People should def explore themselves and create things. What I'm saying is that people should be more critical of their own ideas, see them for what they are, and try not to blast them everywhere until the idea is worth doing that over. The amount of noise and waste is just overwhelming and I'm sick of it. 90% of these bullshit clothing brands are not worth the cotton they print their logos on. No I dont want to buy a $40 gildan t with some ironic parody logo on it just because you dont want to work a dayjob.
Along these lines one of worst thing I've had to endure was going to a zine fare. Hundreds of fucking dorks trying to charge $50 for their shitty photography booklets. Incase you've never seen some black kids playing in a fire hydrant, some drunk Japanese salary men, some construction workers, homeless people, some teens (also black) playing basketball or sitting on a stool before luckily every single person thought to take a photo and print it out for you.
And to bring it back to skate related how many bolts companies do people think the world needs?