Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 185488 times)

Dont

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -15
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #2280 on: September 28, 2022, 08:22:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

It feels like convo is a echo chamber of negativity. I don’t have any friends who are starting a brand so I have no horse in this race but if you don’t like something all you have to do is not buy it. I’ve seen many of little passion projects become legitimate brands over the past decade.

I’m also well aware of pricing from attending zine shows but you know what? I’m sure at every event there’s some really good shit that you’ve overlooked because you’ve made a blanket assumption that theres only what you mentioned above. You don’t know everyone’s background, their motivation, or their potential that would come from a little support. It’s much easier to say this ___ is stupid than to make something from nothing.
[close]

Yea, you def go to zine fares.
[close]

Cheeky! I don’t love or hate them but I just wish this discussion wasn’t so close minded about them / small brands. I’m kinda blown away that I need to tell skateboarders that it’s ok to do your own thing…
[close]

You didn't need to tell anyone that. Typical zone fare enthusiast, so pretentious.

Expand Quote
When I brought up the zine fare it's because it wasn't people do their own thing. It was hipsters having a big circle jerk all doing the same thing, which happened to be treating the working class and poc as a novelty/way to make money.
[close]

This is the second or third time I've tried to gnar but couldn't again within 24 hrs.

Stating that kids shouldn’t start brands or sell zines if the quality isn’t up to par is what’s pretentious.

Dirty Douggie

• Rep: 11
« Reply #2281 on: September 29, 2022, 06:08:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Skateboarders are consumerist brats and have zero ecological awareness. The display of product and gear that are barely used by some pros makes me sick.
The new generation is even worse on that matter (Supreme crew, FA, Hardies dudes, etc.)

Ecology is very unpopular in the industry. The only people showing ecological awareness are considered very uncool in the culture (often rightfully so, but it's still a shame), with few exceptions.

Uncool :
- Cariuma (low carbon footprint is actually their main commercial argument)
- Element : no too sure as to where they stand, but with all the the fucking tree logos, they must have something going on (they made cruisers out of used boards at some point, they have nature camps...)
- Sole Tech and their Plant a Tree campaign.

Cool :
- Silas Baxter Neal
- pre #Metoo Kenny Anderson and his used oil-running car
- KA and Vincent Alvarez are among the few skaters I have heard talking about trying to make their board last
- pre hell-ride Evan Smith talked about that subject
- Sheep shoes
[close]
what differentiates them from the rest of the skate world besides a pre-determined narrative in your head ?

I picked those companies because they are some of the most influential to the young skaters (not necessarily most financially successful, but culturally for sure) and their teams are quite young for the majority.

I know you want to depict me as an old fuck who despises the youth, but that's not the case. I work with teenagers, some of them are very conscious (sometimes even anxious) about the environnment, even those coming from a rough background. But skateboarding is not a place where i see those conversations happening. Many other young athletes or personnalities are carrying this message, but i don't see any skateboarder among them.

Blatant materialism is obviously not new in skateboarding, I remember the 2000s when the skate industry was peaking and young Jereme Rogers, or P-Rod, Dyrdek or Koston were showing off their wealth.
But i perceive the introduction of hypebeast culture through companies like Supreme or FA, or even Primtive somehow as a bad omen for what is to follow and expect from younger generations of skaters.

I'm more than willing to change my mind if you have counter examples. Especially counter examples respected and admired by the culture. I swear that would cheer me up.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #2282 on: September 29, 2022, 06:17:03 AM »
Bad colorways don't really get to my shops. Though Labor i think still has Kader vans
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #2283 on: September 29, 2022, 06:22:53 AM »
Bad colorways don't really get to my shops. Though Labor i think still has Kader vans
my shop still has a nearly full run of those lmao

Dirty Douggie

« Reply #2284 on: September 29, 2022, 06:28:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Skateboarders are consumerist brats and have zero ecological awareness. The display of product and gear that are barely used by some pros makes me sick.
The new generation is even worse on that matter (Supreme crew, FA, Hardies dudes, etc.)

Ecology is very unpopular in the industry. The only people showing ecological awareness are considered very uncool in the culture (often rightfully so, but it's still a shame), with few exceptions.

Uncool :
- Element : no too sure as to where they stand, but with all the the fucking tree logos, they must have something going on (they made cruisers out of used boards at some point, they have nature camps...)

Cool :
- Silas Baxter Neal
- KA and Vincent Alvarez are among the few skaters I have heard talking about trying to make their board last
- Sheep shoes
[close]
what differentiates them from the rest of the skate world besides a pre-determined narrative in your head ?
[close]

I picked those companies because they are some of the most influential to the young skaters (not necessarily most financially successful, but culturally for sure) and their teams are quite young for the majority.

I know you want to depict me as an old fuck who despises the youth, but that's not the case. I work with teenagers, some of them are very conscious (sometimes even anxious) about the environnment, even those coming from a rough background. But skateboarding is not a place where i see those conversations happening. Many other young athletes or personnalities are carrying this message, but i don't see any skateboarder among them.

Blatant materialism is obviously not new in skateboarding, I remember the 2000s when the skate industry was peaking and young Jereme Rogers, or P-Rod, Dyrdek or Koston were showing off their wealth.
But i perceive the introduction of hypebeast culture through companies like Supreme or FA, or even Primtive somehow as a bad omen for what is to follow and expect from younger generations of skaters.

I'm more than willing to change my mind if you have counter examples. Especially counter examples respected and admired by the culture. I swear that would cheer me up.

[close]

so you want brands to 'act' like they care?

incase you had forgotten, skateboards are made from chopped down trees

You know what, "acting" like they care would actually be a good start. Because that would start a conversation and some would actually act on it in the end.
I'd rather see that than the most influential pros modeling for some luxury brands in one of the most polluting industry (fashion).

As for boards, that would be a good idea for some pros not to set up a fucking new deck every time the sey foot on a board, like Reynolds does, for example. That would be a good start. I've heard about only a handful of pros concerned about making that boards last a bit.

I'd rather see those kind of conversations than TJ telling me he gets motivated when he sees a Lamborghini down the street (Yeah, i know it was a couple years ago, and he was young, but still, he was around 20, not 12).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 06:46:43 AM by Dirty Douggie »

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #2285 on: September 29, 2022, 06:37:32 AM »
Reynolds, and I would guess most others that skate like that, always give their lightly used boards to somebody. Somebody who I assume will make the board last.

I get the concern and I'm not saying we shouldn't care, but wasteful individuals aren't really the problem here. You could stop a few thousand people from buying skateboards and it wouldn't leave a dent to the damage that massive corporations do to the environment. Skateboarding isn't as big of an industry as you think it is.

sacking rails

• Rep: -222
  • sacking rails
« Reply #2286 on: September 29, 2022, 06:44:08 AM »
^^ a few people regripping razor tailed decks isnt going to save the world hate to break it to you all

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2287 on: September 29, 2022, 06:45:28 AM »
proles fight about fake carbon offset credits and how many boards pros skate while we rock w/ factory farming and 10,000 aircraft in the sky at all times

stop stressing yourself out and have fun cause we’re all goin down and cariuma and reynolds won’t matter one way or the other

edit: shout out my alt

dannyprovolone

« Reply #2288 on: September 29, 2022, 06:52:29 AM »
i got a pair of ultraboost like that and yes they feel like recycled plastic. still comfy but still 200 bucks. thanks adidas.

Dirty Douggie

« Reply #2289 on: September 29, 2022, 06:58:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Uncool :

Cool :
- Silas Baxter Neal
- Sheep shoes
[close]
[close]

[close]
what is the actual environmental impact of the three "uncool" examples you cited though? doesn't cariuma send out a ton of mailers? what is the carbon offset that comes from hosting a skate camp?

side note, adidas makes certain colorways of models with recycled materials and they're never as good as the real thing

I don't know how unimpactful are Cariumas (apart from what's written on their website) and not even sure about what does Element really make for the environnement, but i just noticed that Cariuma and Element are the very few companies who advocate environmental awareness and that, coincidentally, they are among the most uncool compagnies.

I myself would never by Cariuma shoes or Element boards, and that puzzles me. Because i care about those issues, but as a skateboarder, those brands are very uninspiring to me.

So yeah, i wish some cool compagnies with cultural influence would tackle the subject.

IpathCats

« Reply #2290 on: September 29, 2022, 07:10:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

It feels like convo is a echo chamber of negativity. I don’t have any friends who are starting a brand so I have no horse in this race but if you don’t like something all you have to do is not buy it. I’ve seen many of little passion projects become legitimate brands over the past decade.

I’m also well aware of pricing from attending zine shows but you know what? I’m sure at every event there’s some really good shit that you’ve overlooked because you’ve made a blanket assumption that theres only what you mentioned above. You don’t know everyone’s background, their motivation, or their potential that would come from a little support. It’s much easier to say this ___ is stupid than to make something from nothing.
[close]

[close]

Cheeky! I don’t love or hate them but I just wish this discussion wasn’t so close minded about them / small brands. I’m kinda blown away that I need to tell skateboarders that it’s ok to do your own thing…
[close]

You didn't need to tell anyone that. Typical zone fare enthusiast, so pretentious.

Expand Quote
When I brought up the zine fare it's because it wasn't people do their own thing. It was hipsters having a big circle jerk all doing the same thing, which happened to be treating the working class and poc as a novelty/way to make money.
[close]

This is the second or third time I've tried to gnar but couldn't again within 24 hrs.
[close]

Stating that kids shouldn’t start brands or sell zines if the quality isn’t up to par is what’s pretentious.

What I said was "keep your shitty ideas small until they turn into good ones". Which isn't "pretentious", maybe critical or harsh, but not pretentious. Unlike you, being "blown away" by some supposed "need" to educate skateboarders on their morality. You @Dont know what you're talking about.

Do your own thing, but don't get so full of yourself that you think it's worth something just because YOU made it, and you want it to be worth something. Being critical of your work and honest with yourself is almost the opposite of being pretentious. Stop taking things so personally, you're gonna have a rough time here if you keep that up.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 10:27:31 AM by IpathCats »

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2291 on: September 29, 2022, 09:46:00 AM »
Are you scared of zine fairs

IpathCats

« Reply #2292 on: September 29, 2022, 09:51:46 AM »
Are you scared of zine fairs

Scared? no, it's more of an aversion really.

lol honestly i was just kinda running with @Mean salto 's story, idk zine fares even existed. However, my wife is from portland oregon and I've developed a strong dislike for pretentious hipster types after spending a good bit of time there. I assume many of the zine fare attendees fall into that category.

Dont

• Rep: -15
« Reply #2293 on: September 29, 2022, 10:16:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

What I said was "keep your shitty ideas small until they turn into good ones". Which isn't "pretentious", maybe critical or harsh, but not pretentious. Unlike you, being "blown away" by some supposed "need" to educate skateboarders on their morality. You @Dont know what you're talking about.

Do your own thing, but don't get so full of yourself that you think it's worth something just because YOU made it, and you want it to be worth something. Being critical of your work and honest with yourself is almost the opposite of being pretentious. Stop taking things so personally, you're not gonna have a rough time here if you keep that up.

Ok?

IpathCats

« Reply #2294 on: September 29, 2022, 10:27:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Do your own thing, but don't get so full of yourself that you think it's worth something just because YOU made it, and you want it to be worth something. Being critical of your work and honest with yourself is almost the opposite of being pretentious. Stop taking things so personally, you're not gonna have a rough time here if you keep that up.
[close]

Ok?

I'll take that L. hahaha

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 280
« Reply #2295 on: September 29, 2022, 12:42:41 PM »
Last time I went to a zine fest, I got an awesome Japanese wrestling 'zine

SOYLOY

• Rep: -5
« Reply #2296 on: September 29, 2022, 12:54:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Uncool :

Cool :
- Silas Baxter Neal
- Sheep shoes
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

You know what, "acting" like they care would actually be a good start. Because that would start a conversation and some would actually act on it in the end.
I'd rather see that than the most influential pros modeling for some luxury brands in one of the most polluting industry (fashion).

As for boards, that would be a good idea for some pros not to set up a fucking new deck every time the sey foot on a board, like Reynolds does, for example. That would be a good start. I've heard about only a handful of pros concerned about making that boards last a bit.

I'd rather see those kind of conversations than TJ telling me he gets motivated when he sees a Lamborghini down the street (Yeah, i know it was a couple years ago, and he was young, but still, he was around 20, not 12).

Skateboarding doesn’t owe you or your worldview validation.  Go bitch to Trojan or Lifestyles for exploiting fossil fuels.  Or don’t you know how rubber is made.  And btw Reynolds contribution to skateboarding is greater than the whole rainforest.  Twat. 

WavyDavy

• Rep: 128
« Reply #2297 on: September 29, 2022, 01:19:52 PM »
Individual critique of consumption delays systematic change through petty debates. It demobilizes by making people feel bad about their consumption instead of taking to the streets.

sacking rails

• sacking rails
« Reply #2298 on: September 29, 2022, 01:27:06 PM »
if you wanna save the earth all you have to do is sell your car, go solar at home, quit skateboarding and never buy anything again in your life.

Dirty Douggie

« Reply #2299 on: September 29, 2022, 03:51:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Uncool :

Cool :
- Silas Baxter Neal
- Sheep shoes
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Skateboarding doesn’t owe you or your worldview validation.  Go bitch to Trojan or Lifestyles for exploiting fossil fuels.  Or don’t you know how rubber is made.  And btw Reynolds contribution to skateboarding is greater than the whole rainforest.  Twat.

That first sentence is very bold and righteous. You must be using it a lot when you don't agree with someone 's view. It's dumb convenient and you sound like the true hero skateboarding need.

You are uncomfortable with my opinion and you'd rather be agressive, thus making little sense, and rejecting your responsability as a consumer. Fair enough.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #2300 on: September 29, 2022, 10:56:59 PM »
Lol why are you arguing with a troll account

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #2301 on: September 29, 2022, 10:58:08 PM »
Expand Quote
^^ a few people regripping razor tailed decks isnt going to save the world hate to break it to you all
[close]
also, as an adult, i probably go through way fewer boards on average than a kid who's skating every day. just set up a new board and give the old one to a kid, that probably has a better "environmental impact" than using recycled wood to make (and ship) a new board.

also man, if you're in your thirties and forties, just treat yourself. who knows how many sessions you have left?

Needed to read this totay cheers
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

sacking rails

• sacking rails
« Reply #2302 on: September 29, 2022, 10:58:14 PM »
which ones the troll?

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #2303 on: September 30, 2022, 11:55:03 AM »
half cabs but switch out the insoles for slimmer ones

R3dBullRox420

« Reply #2304 on: September 30, 2022, 12:44:29 PM »
What I'm saying is that people should be more critical of their own ideas, see them for what they are, and try not to blast them everywhere until the idea is worth doing that over. they print

No I dont want to buy a $40 gildan t with some ironic parody logo on it just because you dont want to work a dayjob, neither does anyone that knows you, they just dont have the heart to tell you it sucks.

At what point does an idea become "worth" trying.
The worth is often determined by the consumer in apparel.

I think ppl should test the waters?
I'd rather do some A/B testing on different ideas, than possibly overthink or overengineer when working at a small scale.

A lot of successful brands started off just wingin it.
Progressive improvement seems more plausible than delayed perfection.

No I don't want to buy a $40 gildan t with some ironic parody logo on it just because you dont want to work a dayjob,

Lol u legit described most established brands
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 01:06:40 PM by R3dBullRox420 »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2305 on: September 30, 2022, 12:57:18 PM »
Have you ever heard the pain of Jerry or AO trying to articulate what their brand is? 

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2306 on: September 30, 2022, 01:04:32 PM »
you should never pursue a creative endeavor because it might slightly annoy somebody somewhere

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2307 on: September 30, 2022, 01:08:36 PM »
Seems like the only good reason to do it if you ask me…..

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2308 on: September 30, 2022, 01:43:07 PM »
half cabs but switch out the insoles for slimmer ones

Ive done this with Sole and Superfeet- makes them great!

I say fucking do away with Popcush and put in a real midsole.

work_lurker

• Rep: 70
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #2309 on: September 30, 2022, 01:45:07 PM »
Skating ditches is the most fun type of skating.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.