Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 184408 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #2880 on: November 14, 2022, 09:05:13 AM »
C’mon….formulate something better…..how about this…

Skaters need to come to terms that most of us are self important and socially inept…..

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2881 on: November 14, 2022, 10:40:02 AM »
For something to be considered a line, there needs to be at least three separate tricks.

I really like two trick lines without pushing in between.

My unpopular(?) opinion:

If someone says skating is easy for that person, the person isn't pushing himself far enough.

Breathing, that is easy.
IG: @flowterspace

WavyDavy

• Rep: 129
« Reply #2882 on: November 14, 2022, 10:58:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
dystopia? now we’re talkin overrated
[close]
Disrupt > Dystopia
[close]

It's so cute that skaters are just getting into crust, grind, black metal, etc and making sure we know it by wearing bootleg reprints. Aidan Mackey is the worst.

Aren't his parents Hollywood actors?

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #2883 on: November 14, 2022, 11:06:18 AM »
Expand Quote
For something to be considered a line, there needs to be at least three separate tricks.
[close]

My unpopular(?) opinion:

If someone says skating is easy for that person, the person isn't pushing himself far enough.

Breathing, that is easy.
As someone with asthma and sleep apnea, this isn’t always true.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2884 on: November 14, 2022, 11:21:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

My unpopular(?) opinion:

Breathing, that is easy.
[close]
As someone with asthma and sleep apnea, this isn’t always true.

I am sorry mate, you are right.
IG: @flowterspace

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1102
« Reply #2885 on: November 14, 2022, 11:25:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Disrupt > Dystopia
[close]

It's so cute that skaters are just getting into crust, grind, black metal, etc and making sure we know it by wearing bootleg reprints. Aidan Mackey is the worst.
[close]

According to an old thread, his dad is a wealthy banker who financed his wife's failed vanity project film, which starred Aiden and his sibling. So not really Hollywood, just super rich.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Lester Bullocks

• Rep: 18
« Reply #2886 on: November 14, 2022, 11:56:54 AM »
Aiden Mackey is Skateboarding's Scott Farkus.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #2887 on: November 14, 2022, 08:27:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My unpopular(?) opinion:

Breathing, that is easy.
Less about tricks and I say for a line has to be two seperate things/obstacles. Flatground doesn't count little drops up, down curbs etc depend on the line

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 78
« Reply #2888 on: November 16, 2022, 03:22:59 PM »
if curb grinds/slides (aka skating a curb like a ledge) aren't acceptable in real video parts, why are manual tricks on curb manual pads acceptable in real video parts? people skate that manny pad in NYC that's just a curb median in the middle of the street all the time in big videos, but if someone did a ledge trick on the side of it, it would be a no go. there should be some consistency there imo. either anything on curbs is cool, or none of it.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2889 on: November 16, 2022, 03:36:51 PM »
if curb grinds/slides (aka skating a curb like a ledge) aren't acceptable in real video parts, why are manual tricks on curb manual pads acceptable in real video parts? people skate that manny pad in NYC that's just a curb median in the middle of the street all the time in big videos, but if someone did a ledge trick on the side of it, it would be a no go. there should be some consistency there imo. either anything on curbs is cool, or none of it.

go there and do a sick ass slappy then big dog

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #2890 on: November 16, 2022, 03:46:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Disrupt > Dystopia
[close]

[close]

[close]

According to an old thread, his dad is a wealthy banker who financed his wife's failed vanity project film, which starred Aiden and his sibling. So not really Hollywood, just super rich.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1675239/

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #2891 on: November 16, 2022, 04:00:13 PM »

Say someone does a kickflip backtail on a ledge, then pushes down the street and nollieflips a big gap, you wouldn't consider that a line? I'm genuinely curious.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -48
« Reply #2892 on: November 16, 2022, 04:03:14 PM »
Pool and DIY skating just doesn't do anything for me.
Obviously I respect the talent necessary to do it well, but I'm not a big fan of watching vert skating, so watching vert skating but on a smaller scale on ramshackle ramps doesn't somehow make it better for me.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #2893 on: November 16, 2022, 04:07:09 PM »
skating DIY spots does nothing for me because most skaters don't know how to finish concrete and usually try fix how rough it turns out by painting it which just makes it worse.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -48
« Reply #2894 on: November 16, 2022, 04:22:32 PM »
skating DIY spots does nothing for me because most skaters don't know how to finish concrete and usually try fix how rough it turns out by painting it which just makes it worse.

What prompted me to say that was watching the Saints and Sinners videos on YouTube. They lean heavy in favor of Creature because like every spot they hit is a crusty DIY or park that's main feature is a 12' deep pool. Virtually no street spots as far as I've seen.

Also...how do the guys who skate almost exclusively in designated skate zones get to be the outlaw bad boy "Sinners"?
Ain't no security, cops, bums or angry "upstanding citizens" to deal with at the skatepark.
Well, maybe the occasional bum...

switchfakie

« Reply #2895 on: November 16, 2022, 08:46:51 PM »

that just means you dont like skating crust

which happens to be the point of diys, which is to have a shitty & crusty park just for you & the pals

i think you missed the point of it entirely

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #2896 on: November 17, 2022, 07:58:34 PM »
I just watched Jah’s latest and it was pretty bonkers.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 576
« Reply #2897 on: November 17, 2022, 08:06:39 PM »

I don't think anyone here denies Nyjah's ability as a skater. The shit Ty edit and his previous sexual abuse allegations are the main criticisms that I see.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
« Reply #2898 on: November 17, 2022, 09:18:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Say someone does a kickflip backtail on a ledge, then pushes down the street and nollieflips a big gap, you wouldn't consider that a line? I'm genuinely curious.

As some one who also adheres to the three trick rule. I would, not. Just a 2 piece

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
« Reply #2899 on: November 17, 2022, 10:49:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

As some one who also adheres to the three trick rule. I would, not. Just a 2 piece

2 tricks = combo
3+ tricks = line

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #2900 on: November 17, 2022, 10:59:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't think anyone here denies Nyjah's ability as a skater. The shit Ty edit and his previous sexual abuse allegations are the main criticisms that I see.
I know but I want to not be impressed and it turns out I was

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #2901 on: November 17, 2022, 11:17:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

2 tricks = combo
3+ tricks = line

Exactly.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

dannyprovolone

« Reply #2902 on: November 17, 2022, 11:50:49 PM »
2 tricks is indeed still a line no matter how much you want it to resemble your fried chicken combo meal

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #2903 on: November 18, 2022, 12:26:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

2 tricks = combo
3+ tricks = line

[close]

Exactly.
It's not the tricks but the spots. 4 tricks on flat isn't a line but 1 trick then bomb a hill is

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #2904 on: November 18, 2022, 02:46:18 AM »
It's a pointless argument either way, but how about this for a criteria?

Either three tricks or two obstacles.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #2905 on: November 18, 2022, 03:08:29 AM »

I wanna bring this back and say that I think if someone started doing it in a cool way, everybody would be down. It's just that no one dared to do it yet.
How could it be less sick than (low) ride on grinds?

On the other side, I'm thinking that skating a curb high ledge isn't easier than skating a higher one, so there's not really a point. Might be way harder for many tricks.

finalist

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2906 on: November 18, 2022, 06:34:55 AM »
Mikey Alfred

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2907 on: November 18, 2022, 07:09:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I wanna bring this back and say that I think if someone started doing it in a cool way, everybody would be down. It's just that no one dared to do it yet.

On the other side, I'm thinking that skating a curb high ledge isn't easier than skating a higher one, so there's not really a point. Might be way harder for many tricks.

Donovon skates a tall curb like a ledge in Hockey X iirc. Wallie a trashcan out of a curb cut to the street then kf back tail on a red curb. A tall one but still. Then next line he goes the other way. No one had an issue with it

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #2908 on: November 20, 2022, 07:46:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

"2 piece" is the cringiest phrase in skateboarding right now
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 770
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2909 on: November 20, 2022, 07:49:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Donovon skates a tall curb like a ledge in Hockey X iirc. Wallie a trashcan out of a curb cut to the street then kf back tail on a red curb. A tall one but still. Then next line he goes the other way. No one had an issue with it

Mike Arnold does a swbsnb on a curb in London into some sort of curbcut

https://youtu.be/uORJXs9ZFEI
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 07:57:44 AM by behavioralguide »