Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 185232 times)

SatanicPanic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #2970 on: November 26, 2022, 01:48:11 PM »
You swongo defenders are weird. If swongo is beautiful can Chris Cole go back to pushing mongo? I mean it’s the same thing, right? Either way you’re pushing with your back foot in one direction

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #2971 on: November 26, 2022, 02:58:13 PM »
despite places like barcy/australia having more aesthetically interesting architecture compared to the US, for some reason i find footage there not as appealing? maybe it's lack of relatability idk

SSBSTRS

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2972 on: November 26, 2022, 03:41:52 PM »
Thrasher should just hand out SOTY to Even whether he wants it or not.

Huh?

switchfakie

« Reply #2973 on: November 26, 2022, 04:55:07 PM »
switch is lame all together, nollie is way cooler

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #2974 on: November 26, 2022, 06:10:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
a part aint worth anything unless it has a good song in it
[close]

[close]

we need more dark ambient or noisy shit in skate videos, the audio worked so well in triple backflip

Has anyone ever skated to a harsh noise track? Feel like that would work really well for the right person/company

mightytrucks

• Rep: -19
« Reply #2975 on: November 26, 2022, 06:34:32 PM »
I actually get mad and cringe a little when the filmer zooms in on the skaters face before the skater does the trick. Especially when the filmer does this for so many clips in the video part. And vx looks better for skateboarding in terms of aspect ratio. Id rather watch skate clips filmed on iphone than the hd cameras. Too much shakiness too w/ the new cameras unless u film like ty evans using fancy equip.

livin on a speyer

« Reply #2976 on: November 26, 2022, 06:38:25 PM »
Switch skating is overrated.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #2977 on: November 26, 2022, 06:57:59 PM »
And the people who care about switch most are generally people who aren’t very good.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2978 on: November 26, 2022, 07:36:11 PM »
This is true. 90% of the time it would be cooler if someone just did a really good regular version. That being said I have a few switch tricks I like cause they’re easy or fun.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #2979 on: November 26, 2022, 08:04:20 PM »
I actually get mad and cringe a little when the filmer zooms in on the skaters face before the skater does the trick. Especially when the filmer does this for so many clips in the video part. And vx looks better for skateboarding in terms of aspect ratio. Id rather watch skate clips filmed on iphone than the hd cameras. Too much shakiness too w/ the new cameras unless u film like ty evans using fancy equip.

I have no problem with HD footage. But if a new part or video has any of that zoom in/out footage, I immediately turn it off. I'm sure I miss out on some good skating but fuck that shit. It's disgusting.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

vinithebr

• Rep: -23
« Reply #2980 on: November 26, 2022, 08:28:22 PM »
Switch is lame when it's done just for the sake of extra difficulty, some switch tricks rule or are straight up easier.
It's also nice to have as option in a line.

Strobeck is not as much of a creepy pedo that slap likes to paint him as

Have you seen Stallion?
shit seems weird as fuck to me, I still enjoy the filming style though, it's just a shame it's everywhere now but from time to time it's fun to watch. "I have no idea what I'm looking at but it looks cool"

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #2981 on: November 26, 2022, 08:33:25 PM »

That Luis Mora dude seems like the biggest Strobek wanna-be. Right down to his corny-ass Supreme rip-off brand he zooms in on in every shot. Their new line has a hat called Dream Eater that is a straight up rip off of a pokemon (Haunter) too lol...

skateharder

• Rep: -25
« Reply #2982 on: November 26, 2022, 09:06:03 PM »
NYC skating has become cringe

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #2983 on: November 26, 2022, 09:29:26 PM »
real hot take man

pops

• Rep: 238
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2984 on: November 26, 2022, 10:08:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
This is true. 90% of the time it would be cooler if someone just did a really good regular version. That being said I have a few switch tricks I like cause they’re easy or fun.

Switch is boring. But I like to do mirror tricks sometimes when warming up, like bs/fs 5050 and 5-0s regs and switch but otherwise I just skate my normal stance most of the time.

mightytrucks

« Reply #2985 on: November 26, 2022, 10:16:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have no problem with HD footage. But if a new part or video has any of that zoom in/out footage, I immediately turn it off. I'm sure I miss out on some good skating but fuck that shit. It's disgusting.

Agreed- the popular filming styles nowadays are literally ruining skate tricks. Amazing tricks are going down all the time but they're being filmed poorly. That's honestly a tragedy. I generally don't hate iphone clips though especially when the filmer knows what they're doing. For example whoever films Nyjah's skate lines for his IG using an iphone knows what the hell they're doing. Go pro is the absolute worst though.

mightytrucks

« Reply #2986 on: November 26, 2022, 10:20:26 PM »
Switch has its place stylewise. Think Hsu's sw ollie over the dirt gap- how much better it looked cuz it was switch, cuz a sw ollie looks different from a regular ollie. I also love sw crooks cuz they look sick especially when Keenan and B turner do them. And u know a sw crook from a regular crook from a mile away. Also it's just damn impressive if u have like a sw tre flip as good as, say, Worrest or AVE or Wenning. Statement tricks are a thing.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 10:29:34 PM by mightytrucks »

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #2987 on: November 26, 2022, 10:29:04 PM »
despite places like barcy/australia having more aesthetically interesting architecture compared to the US, for some reason i find footage there not as appealing? maybe it's lack of relatability idk

wild to see australia compared to barcelona or anywhere favourably for our architecture. not there are ZERO spots in australia but everything's pretty fucked really.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #2988 on: November 26, 2022, 11:26:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

wild to see australia compared to barcelona or anywhere favourably for our architecture. not there are ZERO spots in australia but everything's pretty fucked really.
We're getting a lot of uniform grey courtyards and white cement/brown wood parks everywhere. There's been parts from every corner of the country this year and they all have clips that are pretty interchangeable. Maybe ok for skating but I don't think makes for interesting footage at all. Also (pet peeve) comparing a country bigger than Europe to one city

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #2989 on: November 27, 2022, 12:00:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
We're getting a lot of uniform grey courtyards and white cement/brown wood parks everywhere. There's been parts from every corner of the country this year and they all have clips that are pretty interchangeable. Maybe ok for skating but I don't think makes for interesting footage at all. Also (pet peeve) comparing a country bigger than Europe to one city
haha yeah it's probably odd to lump them together, they were just both in my mind. wasn't saying that aus and barcy have any architectural similarities, just that they tend to have more interesting architecture than the US

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2990 on: November 27, 2022, 12:18:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Thrasher should just hand out SOTY to Even whether he wants it or not.
[close]

Huh?

Rumor has it he declined.

LB

• Rep: 57
« Reply #2991 on: November 27, 2022, 05:48:31 AM »
idk if this is old hat but 99.9% of ride on grinds look shit.  sure they can be fun, and if the spot is right can be epic.  but no.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #2992 on: November 27, 2022, 09:50:48 AM »
just doing A Switch Trick is lame, but switch in lines is necessary and cool especially when paired with a zesty and swaggy switch mongo

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 665
« Reply #2993 on: November 27, 2022, 10:20:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Switch is boring. But I like to do mirror tricks sometimes when warming up, like bs/fs 5050 and 5-0s regs and switch but otherwise I just skate my normal stance most of the time.
no need to flex on us with your warmup sw 5-0 like that

switch rules

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #2994 on: November 27, 2022, 01:57:37 PM »
skating switch is cool and fun but disparaging a skateboarder with "they don't skate switch" is all i need to hear to never take your opinion seriously again

A few years ago, when Milton got SOTY, someone commented dismissively that he couldn't even switch tre.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2995 on: November 27, 2022, 02:23:12 PM »
Expand Quote
skating switch is cool and fun but disparaging a skateboarder with "they don't skate switch" is all i need to hear to never take your opinion seriously again
[close]

A few years ago, when Milton got SOTY, someone commented dismissively that he couldn't even switch tre.
Lol that’s really stupid. Makes curious tho- I wonder how many SOTYs can’t switch tre. Off the top of my head I’d guess Hawk, Milton, David, TNT and Senn

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #2996 on: November 27, 2022, 05:02:34 PM »
I respect his tricks, but Deedz has atrocious style and looks fucking stupid in all his oversized shorts.

mightytrucks

« Reply #2997 on: November 27, 2022, 05:36:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Lol that’s really stupid. Makes curious tho- I wonder how many SOTYs can’t switch tre. Off the top of my head I’d guess Hawk, Milton, David, TNT and Senn

When u say David- not sure if ur talking about david gonzalez but if u are, he's got a good sw tre.

vinithebr

• Rep: -23
« Reply #2998 on: November 27, 2022, 06:38:52 PM »
Anybody can switch tree if you give 'em enough attempts.

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #2999 on: November 27, 2022, 06:42:11 PM »
Anybody can switch tree if you give 'em enough attempts.

How many? Asking for a friend.