Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 185236 times)

SatanicPanic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #3180 on: December 14, 2022, 07:43:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
People who hate on cross locked 50s clearly do not understand that that is the only way to do the rails people are doing these days. Someone please show me a straight locked 50-50 down a triple kinker
[close]

That’s absolute bullshit and you’re smoking dust if you think otherwise
[close]

In the Empower video Bækkel hits 50s down a couple huge double kinks using heel lock.
That's just a very quick example off the top of my head. No reason to think he couldn't do it on a triple.
[close]
That's all well and good but whens someone gonna make backside 5050 double toe lock the norm?
[close]
Doesn’t Nyjah already do this?
[close]

That's what he said in his recent interview with Gary Rogers. I guess he's seen too many people end up in feeble when doing cross locked back 50s down kinked rails.
[close]
Yeah I caught that too. Was a good interview.  Hot take- maybe we were all too harsh on Nyjah
[close]

I feel like at the end of the day nyjah is just a dude who loves skateboarding as much as any of us. I'm sure he would have made more money this year if he just competed instead of going for all those insane rail tricks. Fuck, he's probably so loaded that he doesn't even need to skate anymore if he doesn't feel like it, yet he still does and is pushing the boundaries of skating. He's corny at times but at least he's honest about who he is.
That’s what I got from watching Need That. The dude loves to skate. I can’t really hate someone who has been doing it since they could walk but still love it. He does some things I don’t agree with but I don’t have to outright hate on the dude every time his name comes up.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 737
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3181 on: December 14, 2022, 09:10:28 AM »
Skaters trying to justify their hobbies outside of skating by saying "its a lot like skating because...." is super corny.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #3182 on: December 14, 2022, 09:14:04 AM »
Skaters trying to justify their hobbies outside of skating by saying "its a lot like skating because...." is super corny.

I Beyblade, it's a lot like skateboarding because when parents drop their kids off at events and confused as to why they are confused as to why most of the participants are single adult men...

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -55
« Reply #3183 on: December 15, 2022, 11:53:56 AM »
Putting a massive picture as your signature is bad forum etiquette.

IpathCats

« Reply #3184 on: December 15, 2022, 11:58:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I Beyblade, it's a lot like skateboarding because when parents drop their kids off at events and confused as to why they are confused as to why most of the participants are single adult men...

Not sure if i've ever heard this used as a verb....

gnar'd

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -440
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3185 on: December 15, 2022, 12:00:35 PM »

I’m sorry, I tried to resize it I just love it so much

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -55
« Reply #3186 on: December 15, 2022, 12:09:57 PM »

« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 12:18:02 PM by KC_Rookie »

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #3187 on: December 23, 2022, 08:41:08 PM »
Not sure if it’s unpopular but after watching that Daniel dent vid i decided I’m over both back board to hurricanes and wallie back boards. They were cool for a bit, they had their time in the sun, but it’s time for them to end.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #3188 on: December 23, 2022, 08:46:18 PM »
Not sure if it’s unpopular but after watching that Daniel dent vid i decided I’m over both back board to hurricanes and wallie back boards. They were cool for a bit, they had their time in the sun, but it’s time for them to end.

Yeah boardslide to hurricane is definitely overdone.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #3189 on: December 24, 2022, 06:33:41 AM »
just say boardslide

We know its backside if you dont say frontside (the harder one)

same goes for tailslides

vinithebr

• Rep: -23
« Reply #3190 on: December 24, 2022, 07:58:11 AM »
Just say back board

We know it's a slide even if you don't say boardslide

And 'boardslide' sounds goofier to me, maybe cause it's an easy shitty looking trick most of the time so it reminds me of waterslides or kid's slides idk, I feel like a gingerbread cookie everytime I do it.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 514
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #3191 on: December 24, 2022, 08:03:07 AM »

@KC_Rookie User signatures can be disabled at https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?action=profile;area=theme

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #3192 on: December 24, 2022, 08:33:17 AM »
Just say back board

We know it's a slide even if you don't say boardslide

And 'boardslide' sounds goofier to me, maybe cause it's an easy shitty looking trick most of the time so it reminds me of waterslides or kid's slides idk, I feel like a gingerbread cookie everytime I do it.

I agree….you only should discriminate when necessary…..

It was called rail slide a bunch too…then people stopped skating rails…

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -513
« Reply #3193 on: December 24, 2022, 08:34:36 AM »
I think Burnett makes too much money.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3194 on: December 24, 2022, 10:12:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
getting strong mark david chapman vibes from this guy

More of a stones guy

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #3195 on: December 24, 2022, 10:20:39 AM »

Why wouldn’t he deserve a six figure salary.  He’s running the top media company in skateboarding.  The Vitellos surely want to take care of him so he doesn’t start his own imprint.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #3196 on: December 24, 2022, 10:20:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

More of a stones guy

tyshawn deserved SOTY

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3197 on: December 24, 2022, 10:48:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

More of a stones guy
[close]

tyshawn deserved SOTY

You’re like a religious person proselytizing; who are you really trying to convince, me or you? 

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #3198 on: December 24, 2022, 10:55:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Why wouldn’t he deserve a six figure salary.  He’s running the top media company in skateboarding.  The Vitellos surely want to take care of him so he doesn’t start his own imprint.

He’s the editor of the magazine.  I don’t know that he’s involved in the video/internet side of things.   He gets paid commensurate to his position.   Depends what end of 6 figures we’re taking about.  200k isn’t that big of a pay for what he does, but 800k would obviously be. 

Also, you VASTLY overrate his influence and the power of print media if you think the Vitellos have any fear of him starting his own magazine.   Nothing he’s does will ever compete with the brand name Thrasher and if he goes, Sieben or someone (not like there aren’t a bunch of ex-skate mag editors around) can slide into place.   He’s a steady hand, that’s all. 

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #3199 on: December 24, 2022, 11:02:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

More of a stones guy

i find you tremendously irritating, but this gave me a really good laugh. credit where it’s due

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3200 on: December 24, 2022, 11:02:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

He’s the editor of the magazine.  I don’t know that he’s involved in the video/internet side of things.   He gets paid commensurate to his position.   Depends what end of 6 figures we’re taking about.  200k isn’t that big of a pay for what he does, but 800k would obviously be. 

Also, you VASTLY overrate his influence and the power of print media if you think the Vitellos have any fear of him starting his own magazine.   Nothing he’s does will ever compete with the brand name Thrasher and if he goes, Sieben or someone (not like there aren’t a bunch of ex-skate mag editors around) can slide into place.   He’s a steady hand, that’s all.

I’m hearing mid six figures…

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -440
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3201 on: December 24, 2022, 11:38:00 AM »
@Newphone can you just make a thread and get it off your chest instead of shoehorning this into every single one of your posts. You’re clogging up the best thread out right now.

Those nosebonk wallie things people do before hillbombs are stupid. Literally just drop into the hill at that point. It’s fun but literally just ollieing off the curb into the street is way cooler

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #3202 on: December 24, 2022, 12:16:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I didn’t say print media.  The mag and the youtube channel and website are all a coordinated effort Burnett oversees.  It’s all under the Thrasher umbrella.  And yeah, I think if Burnett left he’d start his own thing and take some folks with him.  Obviously it would be closer to what Jaime Owens is doing than the merch empire Thrasher’s built. But that’s not in the interest of the Vitellos who as you say want a steady hand running shit.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #3203 on: December 24, 2022, 06:59:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I didn’t say print media.  The mag and the youtube channel and website are all a coordinated effort Burnett oversees.  It’s all under the Thrasher umbrella.  And yeah, I think if Burnett left he’d start his own thing and take some folks with him.  Obviously it would be closer to what Jaime Owens is doing than the merch empire Thrasher’s built. But that’s not in the interest of the Vitellos who as you say want a steady hand running shit.

Hmm well I don’t think Burnett is loved in that way, but maybe that’s just my perception of the dude.   Judging from the masthead (just happened to get a new issue today) it looks like Cole Matthews is in charge of all the video/media, so I don’t really know how everything works out. 

Basically, the Thrasher brand name is too strong for any actual competitor to worry Thrasher.   Even Transworld couldn’t really make a dent.  Burnett could def do something in the Closer space, but I can’t see how he’d siphon anything significant.

I think Burnett is paid well for what he’s doing.   I don’t think mid-500k is egregious.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #3204 on: December 24, 2022, 08:46:00 PM »
Trick where you skate through dirt should be considered very ILLEGAL. Nothing makes me cringe more than seeing that shit.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #3205 on: December 24, 2022, 10:11:14 PM »
Trick where you skate through dirt should be considered very ILLEGAL. Nothing makes me cringe more than seeing that shit.

your profile photo is a dirt bike

quackquack

• Rep: -402
« Reply #3206 on: December 24, 2022, 11:39:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

your profile photo is a dirt bike

Dirt Bicycle = good
Dirt Skateboard = bad
Oh, the places you'll go.

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #3207 on: December 25, 2022, 03:32:45 AM »
 newphone seems decent.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #3208 on: December 25, 2022, 05:46:54 AM »
Expand Quote
situation where kids are put onto pro teams or pro vids/taken under the "wing" of a mentor pro skater almost always seems like some exploitive shit.
[close]

This is the kinda thing you dream about when you're 15 and when you're 35 you're like "is this legal?"

You give a kid that much money they don’t know how to act responsibly and they don’t know that no one withholds ur taxes for you and it’s why the paycheck seems like so much

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #3209 on: December 25, 2022, 07:13:49 AM »
Hard disagree. Dane Brady does that several times in a polar video and that’s one of my favorite parts