Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 183830 times)

Gab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #930 on: May 07, 2022, 07:09:45 PM »
Expand Quote
pro skaters are cool and all, but the dude who pulls up to the park after a 9 hour shift and can kickflip back smith immediately after warming up is infinitely cooler.

getting paid to skate just seems ingenuine if you're not being productive wrt putting out street parts. nowadays it seems like there are so many unproductive skaters getting paid for nothing except their gram clips over street parts. thats so fucking lame, imagine looking back at your life and all you can see are a series of ~10 seconds clips on a defunct website

theres too many overly technical skate videos putting out nowadays. who the fuck is consuming this shit? i'd say the majority of people i know can only kicky back 50 in to shit and kicky/nollie flip out of most ledge tricks. based on that, id assume that most people CANT differentiate the difficulty level between different flip in/flip out tricks. given that, i could care less about your fakie tre to switch back crook. just give me good style and at max kickflip into tricks. i'd rather see you hold a back smith on a 20 foot ledge than kickflip backsmith just the end of it
[close]

Lucky for you, Julien Stranger founded a skateboard brand nearly 30 years ago that caters exclusively to the 9-hour-working back smither who can't make sense of ledge skating. All you have to do is crack a beer, cook a piece of meat on an internal component of your vehicle that gets particularly hot, and enjoy!

You don’t even have to skate?! Man have I been missing out!

Magnolia

• Rep: 412
  • She/They
« Reply #931 on: May 07, 2022, 07:24:59 PM »
Transgender skateboarder checking in here. Please just say transition. It doesn't necessarily "offend" me to hear transition called tranny, but look at it this way, a skatepark is not the most welcoming place in the world for transgender people, the world barely welcomes us anywhere after all. We get the slur "tranny" thrown at us all the time in the streets by people who either want to tear us down mentally or physically. In a loud skatepark environment, do you really think us hearing the word tranny thrown around makes us feel more welcome? It does not and in fact, when you can only make out fragments of a conversation and part of it includes the word tranny, it can make us feel a lot less safe.
Yea this is pretty much dead on, and sums up how I felt when I first posted about it here. Much love to my teans skater fam out there ❤❤
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #932 on: May 07, 2022, 09:20:42 PM »
the thing about words like "tranny" and "chink chink" is that it doesn't matter how you intend its use because its the ambiguity/ambivalence of the term itself that makes it a weapon. if you hear it spoken you always have to unknot the intentions of the person who said it. the person who says it is basically shoving onto you the burden of "letting it slide" which you basically have to do otherwise you're accused of being too sensitive, or worse, accusing them of racism, transphobia, etc. By using these words you're basically begging people to take you in good faith so you can harvest the ego affirmation that says "see i'm not racist. I can say these words and people know what I mean." So by saying these kinds of words you're just insisting on exercising a petty form of power that draws people into stupid little psychological games that ultimately end in them having to credit you with good intentions/not being a bigot.

Well stated. However, “unknotting the intention” of the speaker is inherent in language, and context is the first step. Obviously, how you intend to use a word matters; it’s how we understand each other, especially in activities like skating that have jargon, not to mention the goofy slang the kids like to use. So someone might argue that homonyms are fair use. But language changes over time and meanings are essentially derived from shared agreement, and a group has asked that that term no longer be used. Fair enough.
 Jeebus, it feels dumb to argue semantics when I largely agree with the conclusion. I’m too tired and stupid to put this together as well as you have.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #933 on: May 07, 2022, 09:37:47 PM »
How long have skaters even been calling transition tranny? Skateboarders are a relatively small group of people and it hasn't been around for that long I don't see how it's even a problem to just change to a new made up word. Just think of a new name. "Zition" "curve". Tricks like gay/Lez twist,Chinese nollie still need new names I already gave suggestions for chink-chink.
People acting like it's the same as asking skiers to stop saying slopes or the British to stop calling cigarettes fags. (Sorry for saying all the words)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #934 on: May 08, 2022, 07:00:06 AM »
getting paid to skate just seems ingenuine if you're not being productive wrt putting out street parts. nowadays it seems like there are so many unproductive skaters getting paid for nothing except their gram clips over street parts. thats so fucking lame, imagine looking back at your life and all you can see are a series of ~10 seconds clips on a defunct website

Yeah, much better to have three minutes of footage on a defunct form of physical media.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

somefucker

« Reply #935 on: May 08, 2022, 07:14:38 AM »
pro skaters are cool and all, but the dude who pulls up to the park after a 9 hour shift and can kickflip back smith immediately after warming up is infinitely cooler.

p much sums up the rest of your post

also I don’t find it weird that skate media is changing with the most popular format to consume.

Do I wish we all still had flip phones and had to wait for videos on dvd? Absolutely

Will I be checking websites and apps to see when my favorite skater or brand drops new parts/merch? Yup

just evolve bruh

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #936 on: May 08, 2022, 09:35:10 AM »
Expand Quote
the thing about words like "tranny" and "chink chink" is that it doesn't matter how you intend its use because its the ambiguity/ambivalence of the term itself that makes it a weapon. if you hear it spoken you always have to unknot the intentions of the person who said it. the person who says it is basically shoving onto you the burden of "letting it slide" which you basically have to do otherwise you're accused of being too sensitive, or worse, accusing them of racism, transphobia, etc. By using these words you're basically begging people to take you in good faith so you can harvest the ego affirmation that says "see i'm not racist. I can say these words and people know what I mean." So by saying these kinds of words you're just insisting on exercising a petty form of power that draws people into stupid little psychological games that ultimately end in them having to credit you with good intentions/not being a bigot.
[close]

Well stated. However, “unknotting the intention” of the speaker is inherent in language, and context is the first step. Obviously, how you intend to use a word matters; it’s how we understand each other, especially in activities like skating that have jargon, not to mention the goofy slang the kids like to use. So someone might argue that homonyms are fair use. But language changes over time and meanings are essentially derived from shared agreement, and a group has asked that that term no longer be used. Fair enough.
 Jeebus, it feels dumb to argue semantics when I largely agree with the conclusion. I’m too tired and stupid to put this together as well as you have.

i gotcha dude. the problem is is that there are cases where people actually do use these homonyms maliciously and often they do it by using the ambiguity of the term and then playing dumb when called out about it (remember the "chink in the armor" headline w/ jeremy lin). if people are serious about being allies to POC, lgbtq, etc. they have to take responsibility not just for their own words, but the way that others in their community use words and the kinds of social dynamics they bring into play.

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #937 on: May 08, 2022, 12:34:45 PM »
First and foremost not saying his is bad, love love love Tom Penny. But as far as watching transition skateboarding. I would say Rick Mccrank had better style in my opinion. Both in their primes I would prefer to watch Mccrank.

Tommy G

• Rep: -14
« Reply #938 on: May 08, 2022, 03:49:15 PM »

theres too many overly technical skate videos putting out nowadays. who the fuck is consuming this shit? i'd say the majority of people i know can only kicky back 50 in to shit and kicky/nollie flip out of most ledge tricks. based on that, id assume that most people CANT differentiate the difficulty level between different flip in/flip out tricks. given that, i could care less about your fakie tre to switch back crook. just give me good style and at max kickflip into tricks. i'd rather see you hold a back smith on a 20 foot ledge than kickflip backsmith just the end of it

1. Agreed. I have a homie that works all day, has a wife and a kid and will come to the park and his warmup run is better than what I’ll do the whole sesh.

2. That’s a major thing that bothers me about a lot of the skaters that either fell off their sponsors or established a name so quick and dropped off and made an instagram comeback. I see plenty of skatepark clips from them and maybe some street but never a video part. I have much more respect for someone out in the streets making video parts and keeping their name relevant. It’s one thing if you have major injuries, but even then so many pros have still been productive despite them.

3. I’m on the fence about this one. There’s guys that make tech skating look good and don’t dance around. Watching so many skate videos makes me realize who can innovate and who’s milking what tricks in their bag they have. I like watching skateboarding being pushed but there’s a limit. While yes, it’s not as relatable, you can still be impressed. It’s a weird point. Some of it bores or disgusts me, others impress me. But I do enjoy some raw, fast skating just as much.

milk.razor

• Rep: 11
« Reply #939 on: May 08, 2022, 05:02:01 PM »
might get flayed for this, but the amount of drinking and getting fucked up clips in skatebording and the local scene where im at is pretty lame. pulled up to the diy and there were cans everywhere and a ton of broken glass on the ground. i like a drink as much as the next guy but why do you wanna rip a 12 pack every time you’re out skating and then leave your trash on the ground?
No fun allowed. Also get your phone out and film this for my insta edit. Also don’t breath too loud. Bitch.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #940 on: May 08, 2022, 05:06:39 PM »
might get flayed for this, but the amount of drinking and getting fucked up clips in skatebording and the local scene where im at is pretty lame. pulled up to the diy and there were cans everywhere and a ton of broken glass on the ground. i like a drink as much as the next guy but why do you wanna rip a 12 pack every time you’re out skating and then leave your trash on the ground?
I'm with you. In my case it's actually not the skaters but random people hanging around the park that leave all their shit behind. These are the kind of people that spit on the ground

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #941 on: May 08, 2022, 05:42:09 PM »
Is not rejoicing over public littering really that unpopular of an opinion?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

milk.razor

• Rep: 11
« Reply #942 on: May 08, 2022, 06:04:05 PM »
yeah saying “littering sucks” isn’t exactly a spicy take, but i’m also kinda saying the culture of uploading yourself gettin fucked up at every session is lame too
No fun allowed. Also get your phone out and film this for my insta edit. Also don’t breath too loud. Bitch.

FrankRizzo

• Rep: 10
« Reply #943 on: May 08, 2022, 10:26:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What if C A T really spelled "dog"?
[close]

If there is an inside joke or I misspelled something I missed it.

Language is rather fluid. The meaning of many words have shifted in my 40+ years which is being discussed above by others.
[close]

hate your username!! glad he’s dead

I took the name from The Jerkey Boys, so consider that.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #944 on: May 09, 2022, 12:12:40 AM »
It’s like there’s a correlation between the beer culture and all these skatepark memorial murals of guys in their 40’s

livin on a speyer

« Reply #945 on: May 09, 2022, 03:12:43 AM »
Nowadays I rather watch vert than street.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #946 on: May 09, 2022, 04:26:03 AM »

Why come?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

livin on a speyer

« Reply #947 on: May 09, 2022, 04:28:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Why come?
There is an oversaturation of street skateboarding and I like the flow of vert more these days.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #948 on: May 09, 2022, 05:04:13 AM »
Dunks look like they wear people not the other way around

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #949 on: May 09, 2022, 06:31:41 AM »

Especially the high tops. But this was the case last time they were really popular

pro club blanks

« Reply #950 on: May 09, 2022, 09:49:35 AM »
The SBs are significantly uglier to me for this reason

switchfakie

« Reply #951 on: May 09, 2022, 10:23:05 PM »

imo the only people that can make them look good are people with extremely slim feet & a shoe size that perfectly matches their body/frame. anything else and they just look like chunky clown shoes. also any colorways with more than 2 colors are a bust

i don't wanna hurt anybody's feelings about it but thats my honest take

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 279
« Reply #952 on: May 10, 2022, 08:21:50 AM »
If you soundtrack it with some hyperpop or candyraver music, Gareth Stehr's That's Life part would make a good Frog video part.

The pink scarf only makes it more perfect.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #953 on: May 10, 2022, 10:49:28 AM »
god damn i hate that hyperpop shit

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #954 on: May 11, 2022, 07:25:44 PM »
Short of falling into a body of water….I don’t need anyone stopping my board after it’s shooting out…..it’s like the door holding of skateboarding…..I’m onto it….guy pulls his groin because my board was going to hit a fence…. Save it….

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
« Reply #955 on: May 11, 2022, 07:33:03 PM »
Short of falling into a body of water….I don’t need anyone stopping my board after it’s shooting out…..it’s like the door holding of skateboarding…..I’m onto it….guy pulls his groin because my board was going to hit a fence…. Save it….

Well which one is it? Sending mixed messages here...

I agree with you. I actually like to see the natural trajectory. Let it fly.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #956 on: May 12, 2022, 03:28:21 AM »

I'm not gonna let anyones board either run into someone and hurt them or run into some edge and get chipped if I can easily stop it. I hate these certain kind of people that let their board shoot out all the time when they could have prevented it.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #957 on: May 12, 2022, 03:53:28 AM »
I appreciate someone stopping my board but it always irks me a little when they pick it up and hand it to me. Just leave it on the floor bro that's where it's going straight back to
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #958 on: May 12, 2022, 04:11:39 AM »
I appreciate someone stopping my board but it always irks me a little when they pick it up and hand it to me. Just leave it on the floor bro that's where it's going straight back to

I feel you. But when it is a little kid, that's handing me my bord back, I ask them if they wanna try it. I can't be mean to kids. But it feels weird when adults handing me my board back. Sometimes they have that look in their eyes, as if they wanna see some kind of performance. In that case, I suggest a simple no pop shuv and they can sleep well at night. Maybe a kickflip if they are friendly.

And always say thanks.
IG: @flowterspace

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 716
« Reply #959 on: May 12, 2022, 04:29:34 AM »

ryan decenzo did that to me once when he was skating a park in berlin with the globe team. i felt flattered, it was very nice of him.

other than that it's little kids 99% of the time, sometimes it feels a little "forced", i don't know if that's the right word but like when i stick on a ledge and jump off my board, it would take me 3 seconds to get back to where the board is but a 7 year old pops out of nowhere and hands it to me. they're just trying to be nice, when it's somebody older than 10 they usually just push the board back to where it came from.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate