Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 183797 times)

goldenbullcow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -406
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2022, 11:44:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
east coast brands owned by californians arent really east coast brands  8)
[close]
examples?
i agree by the way
[close]
917 for sure, but is it still a company?

I remember Puleo called out Suciu for being a Cali skater passing himself off as an East Coast skater.
[close]
thats also my beef with suciu
cali to ny transplants rub me the wrong way
and im friends with a few

But it was ok when Puleo was a Jersey to SF transplant?  If Mark enjoys skating east coast cities what is the issue?

Side not Florida to NY transplants are the worst.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2022, 08:14:22 PM »
Expand Quote
To be fair you could say that about 90% of Reynolds’ parts. But I still love em.
[close]

I'm starting to think you fundamentally don't understand skateboarding.

Please explain how Reynolds doesn’t have a bag of core tricks- full cabs, frontside flips, kickflips, kickflip noseslides, fakie frontside flips, nollie 180s, etc that are in most of his parts for a large portion of his tricks. A nollie shuv was surprising, he often throws in a nose blunt and maybe a nollie 3 or sometimes a varial heel, but most of the time you know what you’re going to get. I forget which pro said it in an interview (think it was Cromer), but there are certain skaters you can watch do a lot of the same stuff over and over and it’s amazing each time. Obviously he did it down insane shit but let’s not act like he’s a savant at coming up with NBD pretzel combos or really skating a spot in a way no one has ever thought of.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2022, 08:17:59 PM »
Expand Quote
To be fair you could say that about 90% of Reynolds’ parts. But I still love em.
[close]
you can say what? he has limited tricks? are you responding to the person above you? just because he always does a fs flip and kick flip… does he not do something new in each and every video part, at least twice? the fuck are you talking about? don’t talk about the boss like that, you might as well hate on julien on here 10 years ago. that’s a very idiotic take and you need to do your homework before you hate on one of the greatest skateboarders of all time. same dude nollie 180 sw bs 5-0d a handrail 20 years ago, now it’s just being done again. literally, what drugs are you on?

I’m not saying he is limited, I’m agreeing that you know the majority of things that will be in his part. Obviously he does other shit too. I appreciate the way he does what he does and that he consistently progresses his core tricks while adding different and often newer stuff often done really well with impeccable style. Nowadays I’d rather watch his Baker 4 part than most new parts simply because of how he does what he does, but I was pretty stoked to just seen him throw a few flip tricks down a slightly smaller stair set then he might of done at his peak.

And I’m sorry but that isn’t a rarely down trick that no one did between now and then.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2022, 09:03:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
east coast brands owned by californians arent really east coast brands  8)
[close]
examples?
i agree by the way
[close]
917 for sure, but is it still a company?

I remember Puleo called out Suciu for being a Cali skater passing himself off as an East Coast skater.

I never got why everyone is so hard on Suciu for passing himself off as an east coast/New York skater when a big percentage of the “cool” New York skaters that everyone (including myself) loves aren’t from New York or even the east coast in some cases - Max Palmer, Cyrus, Nik Stain, John Shanahan, AO, Dill, etc.  That seems to often be the pattern in various cities’ skate scenes.

Suciu is obviously passionate about his brand of skating and has put in work in both Philly and New York which, as a lifelong east coast skater myself, earns some respect in my book.  I guess people can’t get past feeling like he’s a try-hard…   
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 09:17:00 PM by big_kev_215 »

Hedgehog In Da Fog

• Rep: -15
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2022, 10:59:01 PM »
If I were Jason Dill, I would drop kick KB’s lazy ass off the team and give Suciu a board for life instead of Gino. Obviously I could go on, but, eh…

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2022, 01:07:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Please explain how Reynolds doesn’t have a bag of core tricks- full cabs, frontside flips, kickflips, kickflip noseslides, fakie frontside flips, nollie 180s, etc that are in most of his parts for a large portion of his tricks. A nollie shuv was surprising, he often throws in a nose blunt and maybe a nollie 3 or sometimes a varial heel, but most of the time you know what you’re going to get. I forget which pro said it in an interview (think it was Cromer), but there are certain skaters you can watch do a lot of the same stuff over and over and it’s amazing each time. Obviously he did it down insane shit but let’s not act like he’s a savant at coming up with NBD pretzel combos or really skating a spot in a way no one has ever thought of.
really cant trust the inverted kingpin folk now can you
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

HeapsCool

• Rep: -172
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2022, 01:19:05 AM »
Vert is coming back. That shits like pure skateboarding. If some man can be better than some 12 year old spinning back to back 1080s, Vert will have a place in skating again.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2022, 05:27:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Having signature tricks is not the same thing as having "limited" tricks. Also you can't throw 10+ tricks into the conversation and say "yeah that's pretty much all he does" when even that isn't true.

Do you even watch the videos/skaters that you comment on?

somefucker

« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2022, 05:35:55 AM »
Vert is coming back. That shits like pure skateboarding. If some man can be better than some 12 year old spinning back to back 1080s, Vert will have a place in skating again.

would rather watch 'old men' do basic vert tricks than air babies hucking their fetal carcasses for insta clout

LebowskisRug

« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2022, 06:47:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Having signature tricks is not the same thing as having "limited" tricks. Also you can't throw 10+ tricks into the conversation and say "yeah that's pretty much all he does" when even that isn't true.

I think you’re misunderstanding what I was trying to say and it’s nothing to do with limited tricks, just that I can usually expect the bulk of certain skaters’ parts to contain specific tricks. Cyrus and Reynolds are two although Reynolds to a lesser extent and his spot selection throughout history was pushing boundaries at the time. I don’t think they’re the same at all, merely that I still like watching dudes who might have some level of predictability. I want to see a Reynolds frontside flip as much as I want to see Cyrus backside flip even.

I’m not hating on either and maybe what I’m trying to say is being interpreted way too literally. I do think Cyrus could benefit from adding some newer shit to his repertoire.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2022, 06:59:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I think you’re misunderstanding what I was trying to say and it’s nothing to do with limited tricks, just that I can usually expect the bulk of certain skaters’ parts to contain specific tricks. Cyrus and Reynolds are two although Reynolds to a lesser extent and his spot selection throughout history was pushing boundaries at the time. I don’t think they’re the same at all, merely that I still like watching dudes who might have some level of predictability. I want to see a Reynolds frontside flip as much as I want to see Cyrus backside flip even.

I’m not hating on either and maybe what I’m trying to say is being interpreted way too literally. I do think Cyrus could benefit from adding some newer shit to his repertoire.

Well the topic was about limited tricks and you're the one that drew the comparison, so you're really not making much sense. I disagree with the initial Cyrus/Nik Stain take that started this, but at least they sorta rationalized it.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2022, 08:26:25 AM »
The only way to actually settle this is to watch parts and list tricks. If you wanna do that, go for it. I’ll be over here in idiot land as the only person in skating that found it predictable that Reynolds stuck to mostly 10 tricks in his parts (and liked that).

Do you really think anyone was caught off guard when The Boss’ first actual trick in Stay Gold was a fakie frontside flip? That’s one of my favorite parts of all time and the pole jam back 3 is the only thing that caught me off guard. If Cyrus showed some progression and perfection of his bag Id be less inclined to label him limited, but even now I’d rather watch a limited selection than NBD pretz shit.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2022, 08:46:33 AM »
The only way to actually settle this is to watch parts and list tricks. If you wanna do that, go for it. I’ll be over here in idiot land as the only person in skating that found it predictable that Reynolds stuck to mostly 10 tricks in his parts (and liked that).

Do you really think anyone was caught off guard when The Boss’ first actual trick in Stay Gold was a fakie frontside flip? That’s one of my favorite parts of all time and the pole jam back 3 is the only thing that caught me off guard. If Cyrus showed some progression and perfection of his bag Id be less inclined to label him limited, but even now I’d rather watch a limited selection than NBD pretz shit.

Fine, let's do Baker 3:

Switch shuvs both ways down notable spots
Switch tre
Ollie over to fs wallride
Nollie 180 switch 5-0 (and one with a revert)
Nollie flip Hollywood
Nollie inward heel nosemanny
Back heel
SWITCH back heel
Back 3
Switch frontside flip
Switch nosegrind revert on a hubba

and that's just off the top of my head, in arguably one of his least varied parts. Just because you only remember the tricks he's best known for doesn't mean that's all he does.

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2022, 09:33:36 AM »
More unpopular opinions:
Shoelace belts are stupid
So are Powell graphics
Videos before Video Days aren’t entertaining in modern times.

somefucker

« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2022, 09:34:40 AM »
More unpopular opinions:
Shoelace belts are stupid
So are Powell graphics
Videos before Video Days aren’t entertaining in modern times.

see thread title

LebowskisRug

« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2022, 09:42:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Fine, let's do Baker 3:

Switch tre
Nollie flip Hollywood
Back heel
SWITCH back heel
Back 3
Switch frontside flip

and that's just off the top of my head, in arguably one of his least varied parts. Just because you only remember the tricks he's best known for doesn't mean that's all he does.

Jesus Fucking Christ dude- I'm literally saying that he is known for a specific set of tricks not that I don't remember other shit. Yes, maybe 90% was hyperbolic. They are both skaters who have a pretty standard bag of staples that we expect and appreciate. Better?

Of that list you gave I would say nollie flip, back heel, switch back heel, switch frontside flip are also in the first 2 minutes of his Stay Gold part. He's done a decent amount of nollie 180 switch 5-0's too. I can make a similar list about Cyrus's Stussy part. I think people are suffering from recency bias and comparing a few parts that came out in rapid fire and I wouldn't really consider the tricks he shares with Max a full part. If you took the same chunk of time from the same period in Reynolds' early career you could say the same shit potentially, which was my point, not that I think either are truly limited because they often film the same tricks.

Staples:
Back tail backside flip out, backside flip, front 180 fakie manny (with a fakie front shuv out), back 180 fakie manny (half cab out over spikes and a big drop), back smith (quite a few, one has a shuvit out), a bunch of fast 50-50s on sketchy rails

Others:
boardslide to back feeble transfer, nose manual to a large drop off on an angled metal shed thing, front smith a rail, back 180 switch 5-0 off a bump to windowsill, heelflip over a shopping cart.

Reynolds Stay Gold, not really fair since this was fairly late in his career vs Cyrus' Stussy part

Staples:
fakie frontside flip (Carlsbad gap, he skates it in almost every part), following up a trick with something done the other stance (switch heel back tail then regular version), nollie 180 switch crook, nose slide front shuv out (done on an iconic ledge), half cab heel, nollie front heel, switch flip, switch back heel, etc.

Others:
switch heel back tail, fakie tre (he did others later in his career but this is the first I can remember in a major part), switch front 180 nose manny nollie 180 out although he's skated the same spot in a bunch of videos, cab grab on a mini ramp,

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2022, 09:47:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Fine, let's do Baker 3:

Switch tre
Nollie flip Hollywood
Back heel
SWITCH back heel
Back 3
Switch frontside flip

[close]

Jesus Fucking Christ dude- I'm literally saying that he is known for a specific set of tricks not that I don't remember other shit. Yes, maybe 90% was hyperbolic. They are both skaters who have a pretty standard bag of staples that we expect and appreciate. Better?

Of that list you gave I would say nollie flip, back heel, switch back heel, switch frontside flip are also in the first 2 minutes of his Stay Gold part. He's done a decent amount of nollie 180 switch 5-0's too. I can make a similar list about Cyrus's Stussy part. I think people are suffering from recency bias and comparing a few parts that came out in rapid fire and I wouldn't really consider the tricks he shares with Max a full part. If you took the same chunk of time from the same period in Reynolds' early career you could say the same shit potentially, which was my point, not that I think either are truly limited because they often film the same tricks.

Staples:
Back tail backside flip out, backside flip, front 180 fakie manny (with a fakie front shuv out), back 180 fakie manny (half cab out over spikes and a big drop), back smith (quite a few, one has a shuvit out), a bunch of fast 50-50s on sketchy rails

Others:
boardslide to back feeble transfer, nose manual to a large drop off on an angled metal shed thing, front smith a rail, back 180 switch 5-0 off a bump to windowsill, heelflip over a shopping cart.

Reynolds Stay Gold, not really fair since this was fairly late in his career vs Cyrus' Stussy part

Staples:
fakie frontside flip (Carlsbad gap, he skates it in almost every part), following up a trick with something done the other stance (switch heel back tail then regular version), nollie 180 switch crook, nose slide front shuv out (done on an iconic ledge), half cab heel, nollie front heel, switch flip, switch back heel, etc.

Others:
switch heel back tail, fakie tre (he did others later in his career but this is the first I can remember in a major part), switch front 180 nose manny nollie 180 out although he's skated the same spot in a bunch of videos, cab grab on a mini ramp,

Honestly man, pizzafliptofakie's reading comprehension isn't the best as seen multiple times on here. You can talk to him til your blue in the face and he still won't get it. Even if he means well.

On the subject of Reynolds did you guys see this? Just out, pretty sick

https://youtu.be/hNjZisbno5M
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 10:21:09 AM by RichardBarkley »
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2022, 10:01:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Fine, let's do Baker 3:

Switch tre
Nollie flip Hollywood
Back heel
SWITCH back heel
Back 3
Switch frontside flip

[close]

That's way different than a "super limited back of tricks", so yes lol.

If the list of "standard tricks" reaches double digits, you have to see how that's a flawed argument, yeah? The person you responded to even brought up Nik Stain, who I'm also a big fan of, but c'mon!

Honestly man pizzafliptofakie reading comprehension isn't the best as seen multiple times on here. You can talk to him til your blue in the face and he still won't get it. Even if he means well.

*you're
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 10:15:20 AM by pizzafliptofakie »

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2022, 10:21:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Fine, let's do Baker 3:

Switch tre
Nollie flip Hollywood
Back heel
SWITCH back heel
Back 3
Switch frontside flip

[close]

[close]

If the list of "standard tricks" reaches double digits, you have to see how that's a flawed argument, yeah? The person you responded to even brought up Nik Stain, who I'm also a big fan of, but c'mon!

Expand Quote
Honestly man pizzafliptofakie reading comprehension isn't the best as seen multiple times on here. You can talk to him til your blue in the face and he still won't get it. Even if he means well.
[close]

*you're

Well spotted, you are coming along.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2022, 10:55:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

would rather watch 'old men' do basic vert tricks than air babies hucking their fetal carcasses for insta clout

How many of those little fuckers can get block coping to shed dust on a frontside grind?  Not a one.  That shit is the result of the substance one gains from borderline obesity due to moderate-functioning alcoholism and decades of disappointment in life that only pools and vert ramps can balm.   

IpathCats

« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2022, 12:16:41 PM »
no 5-0 or nosegrind should ever scrape. fucking degenerates

Well I just lost a lot of tricks in that case.

IpathCats

« Reply #111 on: January 05, 2022, 12:23:16 PM »
Using plywood as a landing is totally acceptable.

Fuck dudes who say landing on anything besides concrete “doesn’t count.” Not all of us are blessed with plentiful spots, and if you turn away an otherwise perfect, excellent rail because it runs out to grass, then you’re an asshole.

Counts, and what you should strive to film are two totally separate things. You may understand this distinction already, but I feel it's important to make. I would never say a trick landed in a ply landing didn't count, but I would rarely endorse filming anything on it.

pro club blanks

« Reply #112 on: January 05, 2022, 12:29:51 PM »
Id like to see less sanctimonious karen energy this year

IpathCats

« Reply #113 on: January 05, 2022, 12:31:54 PM »
Id like to see less sanctimonious karen energy this year

You're in the wrong place bud. Shoes and gear section is less Karen-y but makes up for the lack of that specific type of crazy with an abundance of other types of crazy.

IpathCats

« Reply #114 on: January 05, 2022, 12:35:36 PM »
I think the berrics will start to shrink in scope this year. Or rather, I can't even fathom what kooky heights they're going to ascend to at this rate, so logically they've got to start a regression period.

IpathCats

« Reply #115 on: January 05, 2022, 12:38:47 PM »
Skateboarding is gonna get so cool that ZERO props are ever given and everyone just looks depressed at the skatepark.

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #116 on: January 05, 2022, 01:48:57 PM »
Fuck it threads don’t matter anymore post shit anywhere.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #117 on: January 05, 2022, 01:57:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Fine, let's do Baker 3:

Switch tre
Nollie flip Hollywood
Back heel
SWITCH back heel
Back 3
Switch frontside flip

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

*you're
Calling Reynold's trick selection limited is ridiculous. By that measure anyone who doesn't have flip in-flip out or pretzel ledge stuff has a limited bag of tricks. Anyone who has a variety of tricks they can comfortably take down 10 to 12 stairs in fakie, nollie, switch or regular has a pretty deep bag of tricks. Plus, he does have some flip in stuff on rails and ledges. If you want to talk limited bag of tricks, but great style you are talking about guys like Huf. Or, if you want to talk more modern Skaters someone like Westgate who essentially only skates regular and fakie and has certain tricks down. Reynolds has a deeper bag of tricks than someone like GT. He's not Koston or Guy, but Reynold's bag of tricks is pretty damn deep for a guy who is most known for hucking.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #118 on: January 05, 2022, 02:01:04 PM »
stop highjacking the thread with that bullshit man its the unpopular opinion thread

edit: chris jata soty
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 02:12:33 PM by dannyprovolone »

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #119 on: January 05, 2022, 10:41:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
you can say what? he has limited tricks? are you responding to the person above you? just because he always does a fs flip and kick flip… does he not do something new in each and every video part, at least twice? the fuck are you talking about? don’t talk about the boss like that, you might as well hate on julien on here 10 years ago. that’s a very idiotic take and you need to do your homework before you hate on one of the greatest skateboarders of all time. same dude nollie 180 sw bs 5-0d a handrail 20 years ago, now it’s just being done again. literally, what drugs are you on?
[close]

I’m not saying he is limited, I’m agreeing that you know the majority of things that will be in his part. Obviously he does other shit too. I appreciate the way he does what he does and that he consistently progresses his core tricks while adding different and often newer stuff often done really well with impeccable style. Nowadays I’d rather watch his Baker 4 part than most new parts simply because of how he does what he does, but I was pretty stoked to just seen him throw a few flip tricks down a slightly smaller stair set then he might of done at his peak.

And I’m sorry but that isn’t a rarely down trick that no one did between now and then.
oh really? name 5 other people who did a nollie 180 sw bs 5-0 down a handrail between 2000 (the year he did) - 2015 even. please, enlighten me. name 5 people to half cab flip nose slide a 10 rail ever. name another person who has done a back five 0 variel heel on a table in a line. you seriously sound dumber and dumber by the fucking second. let’s keep this conversation going so you can continue to surprise us all with your lack of a point/brain.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts