Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 184429 times)

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #240 on: January 16, 2022, 08:19:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This is more of an unpopular opinion IRL vs. on here, but a bunch of female skaters would be better off skating smaller boards. They’d unlock a bunch more flip tricks if they skated 8 or lower. See women’s Battle at the Berrics. Some exclusions apply but yeah. Smaller boards flip easier for smaller people/shoe sizes,
[close]

I don't think this is specific to women. For years I've always seen people who make their setup a contest in and of itself. They gotta have the widest board, the loosest trucks, the biggest/smallest wheels/etc. even if their skating visibly suffers from it.
[close]
lots of people in general have equipment that mismatches their skills/style/body/etc.

lots of small kids are on boards too big for them and even when they land insane shit it just looks awful. of course i can kinda understand why they do it, since many of the cool brands they like make products predominantly for teenage and adult skaters (ie more or less full grown), and most kids don't get any guidance or mentorship to steer them in the right direction.

little kids on tight ass trucks are another peeve of mine. if you know how to skate and you want to rock some tight ass ventures so you can get hella technical, that's cool. but everyone should learn the fundamentals first, which to me involves proper turns, carves, and pumping before you start trying to fling double flips or whatever so many little kids end up doing.

so a lot of smaller people should probably skate slightly smaller equipment, whether they are women or just short/have small feet.

but if you really rip, whatever, who cares. there are grown ass men who rip a 7.75" pop and probably some tiny women who rip a 10" egg too.

i guess my unpopular opinion, if i have one, is just that beginners should learn how to turn before they learn any flip tricks. is that unpopular?

Yeah, this is what I was getting at. Not "skating for my enjoyment".

This is probably anecdotal but I've seen a lot of instances where someone's trying to buy their first board or posting about it online and all of the recommendations are usually just whatever that skater happens to ride. They'll just suggest an 8.5 or something by default no matter who asks which imo is kinda misguiding.  And as for those I mentioned who "make it a contest", I'm talking about people who make fun of others for their trucks being "too tight" when they can barely push because their board practically falling apart. Yes I've met them and if you're gonna try to gatekeep other skaters, I'm absolutely gonna judge your ability.

quackquack

• Rep: -397
« Reply #241 on: January 16, 2022, 10:11:09 AM »
Oh, the places you'll go.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #242 on: January 17, 2022, 01:09:38 PM »
90% of skate graphics are throwaway excuses for "art" that look like they were created in less than 10 minutes

switchfakie

« Reply #243 on: January 20, 2022, 07:22:51 PM »
the olympics is ok because it brought exposure to skating. kooks skating for trophies will always exist, but if one hesh kid comes out of the woodworks because of the olympics, i think it was worth it

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #244 on: January 20, 2022, 09:54:48 PM »
Showing a bunch of bails before the make of a trick ruins the flow of the part. If you really need people to see your blooper reel do it like a Jackie Chan movie and have it after the parts over.

Heywood Jeblowme

• Rep: -23
« Reply #245 on: January 20, 2022, 11:29:44 PM »
 The only reason Crail is still alive is because its a shell company for a major Mexican drug cartel

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -198
« Reply #246 on: January 21, 2022, 12:31:42 AM »
Skating in basketball jerseys looks sick

frontfootimpossible

• Rep: -25
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #247 on: January 21, 2022, 06:45:54 AM »
DC Josh Kalis cosplay is gonna die out then come back again in 10 years
Quote from: Slap MessageBoards
frontfootimpossible,

You have received a warning for posting offensive material. Please cease these activities and abide by the forum rules otherwise we will take further action.

Regards,
The Slap MessageBoards Team.

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #248 on: January 21, 2022, 08:04:42 AM »
DC Josh Kalis cosplay is gonna die out then come back again in 10 years
That shit never goes out of style.

tryin2sk8

« Reply #249 on: January 21, 2022, 08:47:53 AM »
Dunks are average looking shoes at best

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1219
« Reply #250 on: January 21, 2022, 03:25:02 PM »
Mary Tyler Moore Show < Rhoda < Bob Newhart Show

Yeah, I said it.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #251 on: January 21, 2022, 04:53:59 PM »
saving my pinstripe penny hardaway jersey for a sw hardflip
yes it will be in shelltoes
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

logjammin

• Rep: 326
« Reply #252 on: January 21, 2022, 05:13:08 PM »
Jef Hartsel has a fake unnecessary elbow move after every trick and I hate it.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 235
« Reply #253 on: January 21, 2022, 05:30:48 PM »

Who the hell is that?

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
« Reply #254 on: January 21, 2022, 05:39:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Who the hell is that?

an 80s skater

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
« Reply #255 on: January 21, 2022, 06:05:33 PM »

Spicy take for the four of us who know who that is
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #256 on: January 21, 2022, 06:11:27 PM »
John Gibson has the best frontside ollies and frontside inverts.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #257 on: January 21, 2022, 06:14:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
There was a mob of bladers at the park the other day and I thought it was kinda rad
[close]
Also big increase in female roller skaters riding in a roller blades style not so much roller derby style.
[close]

This is huge where I am. Honestly the preponderance of roller skaters seems to have taken a lot of the wind out the sails of a burgeoning female skate scene. Many such cases!
[close]
The skateboard industry ignored them and now they’ll easily drop $400 on a set of quads and pads.

I noticed that NFG is pushing roller skate wheels, but yeah, the rest of the skate industry seems happy to lose all of these potential customers to small, boutique upstarts.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #258 on: January 21, 2022, 06:20:11 PM »
As much as Liquid Death marketing/branding is cringe as fuck (not to mention their association with the Berrics), I still have an ounce of respect foor them for doing one thing: promoting water and facing the romantization of alcoholism.

The whole seltzer craze has definitely helped a lot of people quit booze and sugar sodas (as deadly as booze, if you consider obesity in the States), and I think it's probably good that some sober bowl troll can sit there drinking his tallboy of fizzy water, feeling like he fits in with his homies crushing two cases of High Life.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -198
« Reply #259 on: January 21, 2022, 10:08:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
saving my pinstripe penny hardaway jersey for a sw hardflip
yes it will be in shelltoes

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #260 on: January 22, 2022, 12:34:32 AM »
The original tensors with the plastic bit may of actually been the best trucks of all time. Reading ace, lurpiv, new royal threads seems like plenty of problems.
Had the tensors in 00 then swapped to ventures maybe a year later and constantly had problems with them swapped to Indy also constant problems. Would keep the tensors in my bag and often end up putting them back on when I broke my trucks mid session.
I think it was Indy stage 10 that I never had a problem with then after that see people once again always having problems with newer versions.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #261 on: January 22, 2022, 12:44:53 PM »
Expand Quote
This is more of an unpopular opinion IRL vs. on here, but a bunch of female skaters would be better off skating smaller boards. They’d unlock a bunch more flip tricks if they skated 8 or lower. See women’s Battle at the Berrics. Some exclusions apply but yeah. Smaller boards flip easier for smaller people/shoe sizes,
[close]

I don't think this is specific to women. For years I've always seen people who make their setup a contest in and of itself. They gotta have the widest board, the loosest trucks, the biggest/smallest wheels/etc. even if their skating visibly suffers from it.

Related unpopular opinion - most people who skate oversized fishtail boards are doing it to mask how shit they are at skating or that they've stopped getting better
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #262 on: January 22, 2022, 12:49:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Related unpopular opinion - most people who skate oversized fishtail boards are doing it to mask how shit they are at skating or that they've stopped getting better
Erick Winkowski is shit at skateboarding, got it.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Roy Machine

• Rep: -5
« Reply #263 on: January 22, 2022, 01:09:57 PM »
I don't get how anyone can get hyped on any Tom Penny footage from the last 15+ years...there I said it

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1219
« Reply #264 on: January 22, 2022, 01:28:12 PM »
I don't get how anyone can get hyped on any Tom Penny footage from the last 15+ years...there I said it

I think it’s more of a sentimental/respect thing.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Brguy

« Reply #265 on: January 22, 2022, 03:24:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Erick Winkowski is shit at skateboarding, got it.
Erick Winskowski isn't most people.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #266 on: January 22, 2022, 05:23:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

To each their own if they like those boards or not, but there's this really goofy kid I know who fits this description who once tried doing the "you even skate bro?" thing to me at a show cuz I was wearing Vans or something. Turns out he's one of those skaters who brags about how quirky their board is but literally cannot ollie. So fuck 'em, haha

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #267 on: January 23, 2022, 01:20:53 AM »
Snowskating is cool

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692