Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 183754 times)

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2153
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #420 on: February 11, 2022, 08:17:54 AM »
Gonna catch some hate here, but I don't think its fun to skate curbs/ do slappies and I hate watching or hearing about people skating curbs. I hope this whole genre of skating dies out like no complies and body varials. It has become a whole subsect of skaters' identities.

Just learn to skate transition if you can't ollie anymore, there's nothing cool or impressive about grinding a 4" obstacle.
A trick, in and of itself, doesn’t require a defense, so I’ll simply submit the following by way of explainer: there was a time, some many decades ago, when a slappy was just another trick we did (along with no complies & body varies.)
As time goes by, peoples bodies are able to sustain less & less physical strain (duh) and their abilities to absorb heavy impacts are diminished.
As a result, older skaters frequently seek out a means to to enjoy their stoke in ways that extract less of a toll on their bodies. Some people actually have kids to feed, and jobs they have to report to the next day, don’tcha know, so they might NEED to take it easy.
Nobody is trying to impress you with their curb shenanigans, ya’ ding dong, they’re trying to have fun.
But of course, YOU’re going to come in, keyboard all on fire, telling folks their not cool enough.
Tha’s fine, but know that your opinion on the matter sounds almost as dumb as a gang of grey haired olds, hanging out in a parking lot, throwing themselves at a 3” curb for hours on end.
Also… I found the kid that hasn’t learned how to slappy yet, y’all, and they sound pissed about it.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #421 on: February 11, 2022, 08:45:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Gonna catch some hate here, but I don't think its fun to skate curbs/ do slappies and I hate watching or hearing about people skating curbs. I hope this whole genre of skating dies out like no complies and body varials. It has become a whole subsect of skaters' identities.

Just learn to skate transition if you can't ollie anymore, there's nothing cool or impressive about grinding a 4" obstacle.
[close]
A trick, in and of itself, doesn’t require a defense, so I’ll simply submit the following by way of explainer: there was a time, some many decades ago, when a slappy was just another trick we did (along with no complies & body varies.)
As time goes by, peoples bodies are able to sustain less & less physical strain (duh) and their abilities to absorb heavy impacts are diminished.
As a result, older skaters frequently seek out a means to to enjoy their stoke in ways that extract less of a toll on their bodies. Some people actually have kids to feed, and jobs they have to report to the next day, don’tcha know, so they might NEED to take it easy.
Nobody is trying to impress you with their curb shenanigans, ya’ ding dong, they’re trying to have fun.
But of course, YOU’re going to come in, keyboard all on fire, telling folks their not cool enough.
Tha’s fine, but know that your opinion on the matter sounds almost as dumb as a gang of grey haired olds, hanging out in a parking lot, throwing themselves at a 3” curb for hours on end.
Also… I found the kid that hasn’t learned how to slappy yet, y’all, and they sound pissed about it.
But where this is often contradicted is when people get all snooty over slappys. Like blah blah is or isn't a real Slappy, so and so doesn't even do slappys right or even saying slappys are more dangerous than other types of skating.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #422 on: February 11, 2022, 09:02:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
But where this is often contradicted is when people get all snooty over slappys. Like blah blah is or isn't a real Slappy, so and so doesn't even do slappys right or even saying slappys are more dangerous than other types of skating.
Oh yeah, I totally agree.
That shit’s just low impact fun.
Ascribing any lofty or noble status to curb prancing is pure poppycock.
S’just skating, after all.
I look forward to seeing frontfootankletornado at the skurbs in another 30 years.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #423 on: February 11, 2022, 09:16:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Last resort shoes don't look that good. The toe is way too short
[close]
agree'd the vm002 and 003 look pretty shite and it is specifically bc of the toebox

love the 001s tho
[close]
Yeah I had to look just to see if I still agreed with my own opinion. Some pics they looks alright but many still look too short. Can't tell which but they must look like better proportions in certain sizes. (I'm guessing smaller). I don't even think they make 13s so it's something I guess I don't even have to think about now

I think that they look great and that's too bad because the toebox is insanely tight. I suppose they're ideal for people with specifically narrow feet, but I tried two different sizes and both were like foot binding exercises.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #424 on: February 11, 2022, 09:23:15 AM »

Not everyone has transition easily available for them to skate, but most people can leave their house and find a halfway decent curb to skate in ~5 minutes.

I am personally mixed on the "curb identity" thing, but most of the guys I know who skate curbs exclusively are more or less too old to be risking it on anything taller than 6". With that said, the people who are like "CURBS!!!" and have the curb pillow and a curb sticker on their car, and follow curb Instagram accounts - well that shit is corny, no way around that.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #425 on: February 11, 2022, 10:10:23 AM »
…the people who are like "CURBS!!!" and have the curb pillow and a curb sticker on their car, and follow curb Instagram accounts - well that shit is corny, no way around that.
Oh, for sure.
Imagine having hardcore quarter-pipe pride. :D
Next thing you know, people will be skating jersey barriers & making a whole deal out of it! ;)
Seriously though, I feel like most of the scene related puffery & pride is actually rooted in the squads/crews that frequent these gathering places, and the sense of camaraderie that forms around it. Example: Rockridge BART skurbs. See also: Tompkins Skware, etc.
Speaking of Tompkins, if you happen to be there, make goddamned sure you put some respect on alwayslandbolts name! We wouldn’t want the place shut down, after all.

frontfootimpossible

• Rep: -25
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #426 on: February 11, 2022, 11:25:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thank you for your insights, but I'll note I have grey hair, am 30+, have a family, corporate career etc and can do a variety of different slappies regular, switch, ski style whatever. Do I enjoy doing it? its lowest on my totem pole of fun.

Maybe its because my crew has devolved with age to skating curbs too much as of late that I really find it annoying. I do not want to spend time in a parking lot watching anyone go ±90 degrees ramming into a curb, nor do I want to skate by myself. 
Quote from: Slap MessageBoards
frontfootimpossible,

You have received a warning for posting offensive material. Please cease these activities and abide by the forum rules otherwise we will take further action.

Regards,
The Slap MessageBoards Team.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #427 on: February 11, 2022, 02:02:13 PM »
That's fine man you dont have to do them
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #428 on: February 11, 2022, 02:22:34 PM »

impressive, no
fun, yes
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

cky enthusiast

« Reply #429 on: February 12, 2022, 05:39:01 AM »
consumerism is consumerism, even if it’s skateboarding related

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
« Reply #430 on: February 12, 2022, 05:45:29 AM »
Rob Dyrdek was one of the more “intelligent” skateboarders. At least In the sense of understanding  /navigating his way in the industry and understanding where he/how he could further himself.

ssNB462

• Rep: -2
« Reply #431 on: February 12, 2022, 06:20:07 AM »
I'm so tired of people trying to emulate the Supreme aesthetic. I'll see dudes who are pretty noice at the skateparks and they got their Supreme boxers purposely showing and their nails painted black. Worst look imo.

This might be not be unpopular really but a lot of people love this kinda stuff. I'm so tired of Strobeck now. The filming style to the outfits. I just wanna see some Tyshawn footage that ain't by Strobeck lmao.
Boardfeel is a myth
Come back Adio, we miss you

LebowskisRug

« Reply #432 on: February 12, 2022, 07:54:54 AM »
I find a lot of negative rep posters way more useful than those who stack gnars because they actually have opinions that deviate from just shitposting popular opinions.

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #433 on: February 12, 2022, 08:32:43 AM »
I find a lot of negative rep posters way more useful than those who stack gnars because they actually have opinions that deviate from just shitposting popular opinions.
I disagree.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
« Reply #434 on: February 12, 2022, 08:41:08 AM »
Rob Dyrdek was one of the more “intelligent” skateboarders. At least In the sense of understanding  /navigating his way in the industry and understanding where he/how he could further himself.

ewww

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #435 on: February 12, 2022, 08:52:07 AM »
consumerism is consumerism, even if it’s skateboarding related

This one has got me in trouble here a number of times. People want to feel that their consumption is meaningfully different if they buy from a smaller global capitalist enterprise and this is just baffling to me. The only thing that separates a brands like Lakai from Nike is that Nike is more successful and better at what they do (marketing shoes).

LebowskisRug

« Reply #436 on: February 12, 2022, 10:41:19 AM »
Kinda like how people know nothing about working conditions in the Indy foundry in China and just assume that all labor practices and QC are lower than the one in SF despite Indy’s having issues there as well. The decision has been made it’s now just crafting the narrative to fit.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #437 on: February 12, 2022, 01:52:10 PM »
Talking shit is fun…and finding a narrative to fit  you feel is a great time too….

switchfakie

« Reply #438 on: February 12, 2022, 05:54:46 PM »
knowing about your boards specific dimensions beyond width shows your depth of knowledge in skating. i don't know why but a lot of people think its hesh to be in the dark and not know nor care about wheelbase and length.

for clarification: i think it's alright to be uninformed if you only skate a specific board from a specific company because usually they reuse shapes/dimensions, so it's acceptable to not care because you're dialed into that shape; but if you constantly change board companies and sizes, you probably aren't good at tech

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #439 on: February 12, 2022, 08:47:57 PM »
Expand Quote
…the people who are like "CURBS!!!" and have the curb pillow and a curb sticker on their car, and follow curb Instagram accounts - well that shit is corny, no way around that.
[close]
Oh, for sure.
Imagine having hardcore quarter-pipe pride. :D
Next thing you know, people will be skating jersey barriers & making a whole deal out of it! ;)
Seriously though, I feel like most of the scene related puffery & pride is actually rooted in the squads/crews that frequent these gathering places, and the sense of camaraderie that forms around it. Example: Rockridge BART skurbs. See also: Tompkins Skware, etc.
Speaking of Tompkins, if you happen to be there, make goddamned sure you put some respect on alwayslandbolts name! We wouldn’t want the place shut down, after all.

rockridge is kinda corny tbh

realbasedgod112

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #440 on: February 12, 2022, 08:57:34 PM »
knowing about your boards specific dimensions beyond width shows your depth of knowledge in skating. i don't know why but a lot of people think its hesh to be in the dark and not know nor care about wheelbase and length.

for clarification: i think it's alright to be uninformed if you only skate a specific board from a specific company because usually they reuse shapes/dimensions, so it's acceptable to not care because you're dialed into that shape; but if you constantly change board companies and sizes, you probably aren't good at tech
while having more knowledge is a good thing, i miss the days of paradise before i knew about wheelbase.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #441 on: February 12, 2022, 11:30:56 PM »
Fuck i just made it back to positive rep, don't take it from me

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #442 on: February 12, 2022, 11:40:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
while having more knowledge is a good thing, i miss the days of paradise before i knew about wheelbase.
Is there any connection between age and being concerned about wheel base? Could it be wheelbase importance has been amped up by a generation who's age is making thier skills decline.

realbasedgod112

« Reply #443 on: February 12, 2022, 11:49:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
Is there any connection between age and being concerned about wheel base? Could it be wheelbase importance has been amped up by a generation who's age is making thier skills decline.
could be, i'm not the normal age demographic but maybe i'm an outlier

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
« Reply #444 on: February 13, 2022, 12:28:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I’ve made a detailed statistical analysis and would like to report my findings in this graph

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

unregisteredhypercam2

• Rep: 6
« Reply #445 on: February 13, 2022, 02:24:03 AM »
Touching the ground on lands/makes has gotten way too commonplace.

knocking on wood is for hope and good luck. knocking on the ground is for gratitude and celebration.

switchfakie

« Reply #446 on: February 13, 2022, 07:42:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

I’ve made a detailed statistical analysis and would like to report my findings in this graph

im gonna steal this, report these findings to the CEO of skating and get the first skateboarding nobel prize for MY research. haha thanks scrub

jokes aside, im 24 though. i guess that makes me old in skating

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #447 on: February 13, 2022, 07:53:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

im gonna steal this, report these findings to the CEO of skating and get the first skateboarding nobel prize for MY research. haha thanks scrub

jokes aside, im 24 though. i guess that makes me old in skating
Just for clarity I'm also old (ten years older than you whippersnapper) and am detail obsessed and suffering from diminishing skate ability. I think it can work the other way too tho like if you know you can only skate an 8 with 14 wheelbase and you measure and it's got a 14.125wb that could put you off mentally whereas if you never measured you may of never even felt the difference.
I also always think whenever wheel companies make something with a .5mm it's probably more likely to cover up their product being wonky rather than being more precise

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #448 on: February 13, 2022, 12:32:44 PM »
I always think whenever wheel companies make something with a .5mm it's probably more likely to cover up their product being wonky rather than being more precise.
Jeff Klindt once told me that there was no such thing as a .5 measurement in Spitfires, and that the .5 was just thrown in to captivate the minds, and capture the dollars of people who think they can tell the diff. In other words: the 1/2 mm was a gear nerd trap.
Mind you, that’s just the Spits I’m talking about.
Prolly should be filed in the “Dark Secrets of Skating” thread.
Would never work today though: anymore these days, we’ve all got digital calipers for measuring bushing height & shit like that.

mamba

• Rep: 134
  • Sucka free
« Reply #449 on: February 14, 2022, 12:09:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

hmm as someone entering his late 20's i can confirm