Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 183812 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #480 on: February 15, 2022, 08:17:02 PM »
Polar Big Boys never looked cool and Quasi's clothing is mostly heinous.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #481 on: February 15, 2022, 08:25:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Mystery was underrated up to a certain point. I think when they started doing colour stuff it went down hill.

- Point of difference with their graphics and videos
- Sleeper hit full length
- Introduced us to Gilbert Crockett
- A very good promo video with an excellent Pete Eldridge part
- Unique team with no skater being similar to another
[close]

Hot take: I think Mystery was hamstrung by being a part of Black Box. They were always going to be the second banana to Zero.

Less Hot Take: They had a great team, but they never really had a great centerpiece rider. Lindsay Robertson and Adrien Lopez were the only former Zero riders, and I don't think they were really big enough stars to build a brand around. Gilbert Crockett and Jimmy Carlin weren't established enough when they rode for them. Ryan Bobier and Pete Eldridge were good, but kids weren't going to run out and buy their boards.
[close]

I agree with this. Jamie would never have let Mystery become on level pegging with Zero. Originally Matt Mumford was going to be involved too, but once Jamie said he was still going to be the head guy at Mystery, Matt backed out. Ryan Smith & Ryan Bobier were former Zero riders too who jumped over. But agree that they didn't really have that one big guy.
[close]
Mystery also had a problem of shitty movie/nazi logo and also the people the brand should of been marketed to would absolutely not wear a mystery t shirt.
[close]
Two more words why mystery failed:  Dipped Decks

The board quality also sucked. I owned one way back and it snapped when I was skating flat, I was 140 pounds back then.

Coastal Fever

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #482 on: February 16, 2022, 03:58:55 AM »
Re: New Baker Vid

Reynolds’ style is incredible down big shit, but a little awkward on small stuff.

Zach is one of if not the most interesting skater to watch on the team.

Rowan’s either not trying or past his prime.  Or maybe just skating with Aidan too much.

Too much slow mo, not enough second angles.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #483 on: February 16, 2022, 06:01:36 AM »
Hotter take….Mystery>Slave…..

I'm a big fan of Slave's team and videos, but their name is awful. They shoulda changed it when they left Black Box.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #484 on: February 16, 2022, 06:44:18 AM »
want to start skating birdhouse decks 2k22

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #485 on: February 16, 2022, 06:54:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
knowing about your boards specific dimensions beyond width shows your depth of knowledge in skating. i don't know why but a lot of people think its hesh to be in the dark and not know nor care about wheelbase and length.

for clarification: i think it's alright to be uninformed if you only skate a specific board from a specific company because usually they reuse shapes/dimensions, so it's acceptable to not care because you're dialed into that shape; but if you constantly change board companies and sizes, you probably aren't good at tech
[close]
while having more knowledge is a good thing, i miss the days of paradise before i knew about wheelbase.
[close]
Everyone knows about wheelbase the moment they get a board and you have to stretch yourself to do a kickflip. You simply didn't have the words to describe before.
[close]

stretch how?
[close]

Stretch your leg further before flicking the ankle, like kickflipping a diving board.
[close]
i disagree
i feel like it was probably describing stretching your skills; in other words trying harder
[close]
I’m going to come over the top with an even bigger disagree.

I think by stretch they do mean their leg when flipping, but they might have length and wheelbase a little confused. They’re usually correlated, but I’ve seen some weird combos lately. I feel wheelbase messes way more with pop than your flick.

You should be able to skate pretty much anything I think it’s just about being comfortable.

I changed from thunders to Royal and have the opposite effect. My kick flips are worse and less consistent but pop is on point.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #486 on: February 16, 2022, 07:11:41 AM »
I was convinced for years that I couldn’t go above a certain wheelbase and it made my pop worse but recently found that basically everything is better with 14.38 and it makes me wanna try something longer eventually.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #487 on: February 16, 2022, 07:12:41 AM »
I was convinced for years that I couldn’t go above a certain wheelbase and it made my pop worse but recently found that basically everything is better with 14.38 and it makes me wanna try something longer eventually.

Are you tall?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #488 on: February 16, 2022, 08:34:34 AM »

Reynolds’ style is incredible down big shit, but a little awkward on small stuff.

This is usually the case with tall skaters, especially Reynolds who appears to have extremely long legs.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #489 on: February 16, 2022, 09:18:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are you tall?

6 foot 3 but size 9.5-10 shoe it doesn’t make sense.

switchfakie

« Reply #490 on: February 16, 2022, 09:28:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is usually the case with tall skaters, especially Reynolds who appears to have extremely long legs.

proportions matter. a 5 foot 10 kid dunking is way cooler than shaq dunking

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #491 on: February 16, 2022, 09:56:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Are you tall?
[close]

lol, I'm 5'7 and a size 10. Looked like clown shoes when I wore tighter pants.

But yeah, idk. Since I'm on the shorter side a part of me is humoring the shorter wheelbases but also I've gone most of my life not thinking about it so at this point I don't even know what a skateboard is anymore.

BH

• Rep: 27
« Reply #492 on: February 16, 2022, 05:01:17 PM »
Frank Gerwer is not funny, pretty cringe actually. He skates good though.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #493 on: February 16, 2022, 05:26:48 PM »

I've always thought this as well, dude absolutely rips, but he's not my cup of tea otherwise.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #494 on: February 16, 2022, 06:13:40 PM »
HERETICS!!!
This grievous slander will not soon be forgotten!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

switchfakie

« Reply #495 on: February 16, 2022, 09:28:20 PM »
HERETICS!!!
This grievous slander will not soon be forgotten!

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #496 on: February 17, 2022, 03:53:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Are you tall?
[close]

i have a similar situation, i'm 6 foot 1 maybe (186cm) and i wear size 8.5-9 shoes. i usually skate boards with a 14.25 wheelbase but one of my favorite boards i've had was a antihero gerwer 8.25 x 32 with a 14.38 wheelbase. a year later i bought a real on that exact shape and i didn't like it as much. i had one magenta 8.625 with a 14.5 wheelbase i think and that was the only board i could do back tails with. on the other hand i love doing 360 flips and naturally longer wheelbases aren't good for that trick, but back tails are my dream trick.

i just wish i never learned about wheelbases.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
« Reply #497 on: February 17, 2022, 04:32:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Mystery was underrated up to a certain point. I think when they started doing colour stuff it went down hill.

- Point of difference with their graphics and videos
- Sleeper hit full length
- Introduced us to Gilbert Crockett
- A very good promo video with an excellent Pete Eldridge part
- Unique team with no skater being similar to another
[close]

Hot take: I think Mystery was hamstrung by being a part of Black Box. They were always going to be the second banana to Zero.

Less Hot Take: They had a great team, but they never really had a great centerpiece rider. Lindsay Robertson and Adrien Lopez were the only former Zero riders, and I don't think they were really big enough stars to build a brand around. Gilbert Crockett and Jimmy Carlin weren't established enough when they rode for them. Ryan Bobier and Pete Eldridge were good, but kids weren't going to run out and buy their boards.
[close]

I agree with this. Jamie would never have let Mystery become on level pegging with Zero. Originally Matt Mumford was going to be involved too, but once Jamie said he was still going to be the head guy at Mystery, Matt backed out. Ryan Smith & Ryan Bobier were former Zero riders too who jumped over. But agree that they didn't really have that one big guy.
[close]

Forgot about Bobier and Smith. Thanks for clarifying.

It makes me wonder how different the dynamic between Baker and Deathwish was. Baker was always the flagship brand, but I'm sure Deathwish outsold them a few times at their peak, and they were all fine with it.
[close]

I think Baker just did it better - they moved top guys (Jim and Ellington etc) and it automatically gave the brand more credibility.

Also Antwuan was a big part why Deathwish did good at the start, even if it werent for Greco and Ellington. You could build a brand around him today and it will still be succesfull probably, if he skated full time (Not like that Raw Dog shit, he wasnt really in skating by then)

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #498 on: February 17, 2022, 05:13:45 AM »

Mods! MODS!!!!!
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #499 on: February 17, 2022, 05:37:26 AM »

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #500 on: February 17, 2022, 04:47:09 PM »
i like watching zach allen skateboard

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 26
« Reply #501 on: February 17, 2022, 04:55:29 PM »
FS crooks are a bad feeling trick and a worse looking trick

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #502 on: February 17, 2022, 05:16:21 PM »

Lock the thread mods, nothing else in 2022 will be topping this one.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 07:48:20 PM by CrimsonGhost »
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #503 on: February 17, 2022, 06:03:02 PM »

Unpopular opinions, not mutant incel opinions.

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #504 on: February 18, 2022, 05:06:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lock the thread mods, nothing else in 2022 will be topping this one.

Should've been locked after the Gerwer reply tbh
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 26
« Reply #505 on: February 18, 2022, 04:19:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Unpopular opinions, not mutant incel opinions.

Is that you Jamie Foy?

pulaski

• Rep: -5
« Reply #506 on: February 20, 2022, 09:39:22 AM »
was just watching some nyjah raw and had an epiphany, not for the first time that nyjah's dad did him a service. and thomas the tank engine's dad is similarly setting the kid up to be rich and famous off of skateboarding. even if he resents it, even if he's scared and gets hurt, these kids will have a better life than any of us scrubs behind childhood sacrifice. and it's not like his dad is making him eat yogurt or lift weights. skating is fun already.
you can say 'oh i'd treat my kid with respect' as is your wont. but that's why nobody will remember your kids' name.

conqueso

« Reply #507 on: February 20, 2022, 09:48:24 AM »
was just watching some nyjah raw and had an epiphany, not for the first time that nyjah's dad did him a service. and thomas the tank engine's dad is similarly setting the kid up to be rich and famous off of skateboarding. even if he resents it, even if he's scared and gets hurt, these kids will have a better life than any of us scrubs behind childhood sacrifice. and it's not like his dad is making him eat yogurt or lift weights. skating is fun already.
you can say 'oh i'd treat my kid with respect' as is your wont. but that's why nobody will remember your kids' name.

finally we have found nigels dads slap account

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #508 on: February 20, 2022, 09:50:18 AM »
Nigel was undeniably better at Tank Engine's age though, and skated in a way that wasn't going to put him in a wheelchair by age 17
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #509 on: February 20, 2022, 11:47:35 AM »
Yeah, no. Just look to more conventional sports for evidence that being pushed at a young age does not equal elite level accomplishment. The reality is most people are not going to be elite-level athletes no matter how early they start or how hard they practice.

TLDR: Can’t win, don’t try.