Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 183743 times)

Brguy

Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #510 on: February 20, 2022, 02:12:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
knowing about your boards specific dimensions beyond width shows your depth of knowledge in skating. i don't know why but a lot of people think its hesh to be in the dark and not know nor care about wheelbase and length.

for clarification: i think it's alright to be uninformed if you only skate a specific board from a specific company because usually they reuse shapes/dimensions, so it's acceptable to not care because you're dialed into that shape; but if you constantly change board companies and sizes, you probably aren't good at tech
[close]
while having more knowledge is a good thing, i miss the days of paradise before i knew about wheelbase.
[close]
Everyone knows about wheelbase the moment they get a board and you have to stretch yourself to do a kickflip. You simply didn't have the words to describe before.
[close]

stretch how?
[close]

Stretch your leg further before flicking the ankle, like kickflipping a diving board.
[close]
i disagree
i feel like it was probably describing stretching your skills; in other words trying harder
[close]
I’m going to come over the top with an even bigger disagree.

I think by stretch they do mean their leg when flipping, but they might have length and wheelbase a little confused. They’re usually correlated, but I’ve seen some weird combos lately. I feel wheelbase messes way more with pop than your flick.

You should be able to skate pretty much anything I think it’s just about being comfortable.
Yes it was stretch the leg. I just assumed if a board had a bigger wheelbase the length usually would be bigger too, otherwise you start stepping into nose/tail space in the total length. Either way you still know those things exist as soon as you pick up different boards because it changes the way you have to pop/flick, even if you don't know it down to a science.

Yeah, no. Just look to more conventional sports for evidence that being pushed at a young age does not equal elite level accomplishment. The reality is most people are not going to be elite-level athletes no matter how early they start or how hard they practice.

TLDR: Can’t win, don’t try.
You don't need to be elite level to go pro though, today more than ever. At the same time you usually can't teach someone to have style and taste (for choosing spots and tricks), so it kinda remains the same argument.

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #511 on: February 20, 2022, 03:30:31 PM »

You don't need to be elite level to go pro though, today more than ever. At the same time you usually can't teach someone to have style and taste (for choosing spots and tricks), so it kinda remains the same argument.
[/quote

I was responding much more to this sentiment:
was just watching some nyjah raw and had an epiphany, not for the first time that nyjah's dad did him a service. and thomas the tank engine's dad is similarly setting the kid up to be rich and famous off of skateboarding. even if he resents it, even if he's scared and gets hurt, these kids will have a better life than any of us scrubs behind childhood sacrifice. and it's not like his dad is making him eat yogurt or lift weights. skating is fun already.
you can say 'oh i'd treat my kid with respect' as is your wont. but that's why nobody will remember your kids' name.

And I would say “style” pros are not the ones being pushed by parents or typically at an elite $ level.

SharkJohnson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -92
  • i am a shark penis
  • User is banned from postingMuted
« Reply #512 on: February 21, 2022, 03:20:42 AM »
new york city is blown out and footage from it is getting boring

Magnolia

• Rep: 412
  • She/They
« Reply #513 on: February 21, 2022, 07:36:52 AM »
This is your brain on California
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #514 on: February 21, 2022, 04:48:27 PM »

I think Carlisle aikens should leave
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

conqueso

« Reply #515 on: February 21, 2022, 04:53:18 PM »
plz send dill back to california too

IpathCats

« Reply #516 on: February 22, 2022, 04:03:45 AM »
Cali is wack. I'm less impressed when someone is good at skating at a young age from the west coast. All the good skateparks, shops, brands, and the culture is everywhere out there. Kinda makes it seem easier, or at the very least more accessible.

skunty

• Rep: 68
« Reply #517 on: February 22, 2022, 08:49:06 AM »
^What a dumbass opinion. California is not a monolith it's a huge state with lots of places in it that are different, stupid. Last time I checked skateboarding is still hard despite your geographical location. Where are you from that's so fucking cool?

Yeah what a fucking dumbass for not knowing that skating is a completely individual activity and the cultural and physical environment has no affect on you.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #518 on: February 22, 2022, 08:51:16 AM »
The entire United states is California to the rest of the world.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #519 on: February 22, 2022, 09:01:51 AM »
And Europe is a country for Americans

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #520 on: February 22, 2022, 09:10:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
And Europe is a country for Americans
I meant more if you go along with the original premise (that Cali is too easy compared to the rest of the US) all of America would somehow become too easy (and therefore boring) for the rest of the world. Not so much a comment on people not knowing the difference between places.

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #521 on: February 22, 2022, 10:09:52 AM »
Cali is wack. I'm less impressed when someone is good at skating at a young age from the west coast. All the good skateparks, shops, brands, and the culture is everywhere out there. Kinda makes it seem easier, or at the very least more accessible.

and the concrete there is so smooth.  really blew my mind how smooth the ground is there compared to the rest of America

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #522 on: February 22, 2022, 11:51:14 AM »
plz send dill back to california too

dill has been in california for a decade

LebowskisRug

« Reply #523 on: February 22, 2022, 11:52:45 AM »
Barbee>Gonz

Hedgehog In Da Fog

• Rep: -15
« Reply #524 on: February 22, 2022, 01:19:58 PM »

Haha definitely. I’m from Massachusetts and I realized this pretty much as soon as I started skating and watched a few videos. Also, the “crust” I see mentioned in Tom Knox footy is not crust or anything close to it, but he is good.

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 279
« Reply #525 on: February 22, 2022, 01:33:29 PM »
Skateboard Cafe does not get enough credit for what it is. It has been a feeder system for Isle and Palace while supporting some of the more core UK dudes.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #526 on: February 22, 2022, 01:34:41 PM »
Wheelbite doesn't matter in the slightest unless it keeps you from rolling away. All other wheelbite complaints are uninteresting aesthetic quibbles.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #527 on: February 22, 2022, 01:39:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

and the concrete there is so smooth.  really blew my mind how smooth the ground is there compared to the rest of America

It's really incredible; it offers such a huge advantage. Sometimes I'll be skating around the northwest and find some smooth, fresh batch of concrete around a new building and I remember "this is what it was like to skate in California".
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #528 on: February 22, 2022, 01:49:57 PM »
imagine enjoying something more when you do it somewhere the enables it to be more enjoyable....

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #529 on: February 23, 2022, 01:25:51 AM »
A bunch of folks claim Griselda Records has that 90s New York rap feel, like they're the saviors of gritty rap or something. Maybe I haven't heard the right songs, but I wouldn't exactly describe these guys as a decagon; they got one side and it doesn't seem to have a lot of depth to it. So far I've heard 0 jewels dropped.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #530 on: February 23, 2022, 02:21:32 AM »
Shorts look better than pants.
But shorts are still hard to get right. Too small like nyjah are bad and way past your knees like una also looks horrible. You also have to be more conscious of your socks and shoes combo.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #531 on: February 23, 2022, 04:22:49 AM »
A bunch of folks claim Griselda Records has that 90s New York rap feel, like they're the saviors of gritty rap or something. Maybe I haven't heard the right songs, but I wouldn't exactly describe these guys as a decagon; they got one side and it doesn't seem to have a lot of depth to it. So far I've heard 0 jewels dropped.

define “jewels” i guess. it’s mostly coke rap but conductor’s production is pretty insane. i can’t think of anyone who’s going for that old NY sound as much as them. you’re not getting illmatic 2 tho

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #532 on: February 23, 2022, 06:14:55 AM »

The main credit they get is doing something from the past really well, it's pretty much designed to be one dimensional. That being said when you want to hear that sound they do it the best (currently,) I'm a fan

Verdugo

• Rep: 1
« Reply #533 on: February 23, 2022, 06:45:51 AM »
Lol at anyone who thinks NY is crusty for skating. Sure the outer boroughs can be rough in underdeveloped areas like Brownsville and certain areas of the Bronx, but have you ever been to places like South Carolina or Arkansas? Shit’s real beat. Philly is also significantly crustier than NY.

IpathCats

« Reply #534 on: February 23, 2022, 07:23:02 AM »
^What a dumbass opinion. California is not a monolith it's a huge state with lots of places in it that are different, stupid. Last time I checked skateboarding is still hard despite your geographical location. Where are you from that's so fucking cool?

Where I'm from isn't necessarily "cool", Cali is just fucking wack. It's much easier to learn and progress on perfect concrete, with great weather, with a shop on every corner, and pros at every park. There's plenty of stories about cali dudes touring the east coast and having a very difficult time. I know that's all anecdotal, but I've never heard of the inverse happening. I also feel like the accessibility of skateboarding out west has watered it down to some degree, when the hoops you have to jump through to have a good sesh are fewer, the dedication necessary to have said sesh is lower. I would wager that many people that skate in cali would not skate or they would skate far less if they were subject to east coast conditions. I feel like this is all pretty obvious and reasonable. but w/e

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #535 on: February 23, 2022, 07:37:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

define “jewels” i guess. it’s mostly coke rap but conductor’s production is pretty insane. i can’t think of anyone who’s going for that old NY sound as much as them. you’re not getting illmatic 2 tho

It's not for the fucking children, bro. I didn't hear one piece of knowledge kicked in all the songs I listened to yet.

The main credit they get is doing something from the past really well, it's pretty much designed to be one dimensional. That being said when you want to hear that sound they do it the best (currently,) I'm a fan

Roc Marciano kicks that old NY sound better than these guys...

Expand Quote
[close]

Where I'm from isn't necessarily "cool", Cali is just fucking wack. It's much easier to learn and progress on perfect concrete, with great weather, with a shop on every corner, and pros at every park. There's plenty of stories about cali dudes touring the east coast and having a very difficult time. I know that's all anecdotal, but I've never heard of the inverse happening. I also feel like the accessibility of skateboarding out west has watered it down to some degree, when the hoops you have to jump through to have a good sesh are fewer, the dedication necessary to have said sesh is lower. I would wager that many people that skate in cali would not skate or they would skate far less if they were subject to east coast conditions. I feel like this is all pretty obvious and reasonable. but w/e

That's a lot of b.s. If you really wanna live in Cali so bad, just move out here. It's great for skating and it's a free country.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 07:48:47 AM by EdLawndale »

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #536 on: February 23, 2022, 07:49:03 AM »
The Pacific Northwest has the best concrete, better than California's butter smoothness. PNW gets just enough snow to deteriorate the surface, giving a nice grittiness, reminiscent of the east coast but not completely obliterated by freezing and thawing.

I would rather live in Cali though, with its beautiful weather year-round. God, I miss it, I'm so sick of the snow and rain here in the east.  :(
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

cky enthusiast

« Reply #537 on: February 23, 2022, 07:51:41 AM »
if ur in cali it makes sense you don’t “get” griselda

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #538 on: February 23, 2022, 07:59:08 AM »
if ur in cali it makes sense you don’t “get” griselda

Every rapper in my Top 10 is from the East Coast, incl G Rap, Big L and Pun. My point is there's nothing to "get" with these guys. The wordplay isn't witty, it's very much on the nose. The multis are simple and forced. It's just recycled raps about how you should watch out because somebody you're dealing coke to will probably jab a fork in your neck. What a complete borefest.

IpathCats

« Reply #539 on: February 23, 2022, 08:13:18 AM »

That's a lot of b.s. If you really wanna live in Cali so bad, just move out here. It's great for skating and it's a free country.

Where's the BS exactly? It's not like any of this is news. I'm good where I'm at though thanks. Day trips to DC, Baltimore, and Richmond are super easy for me. I've even taken day trips to NY to skate, though that's more of a mission. I'll take having those options over deciding which of the 100 perfect training facility parks near me to go to. I'm sure you have a great time at them though, and that's fine. I just have other preferences.

Because of the lack of skateboarding in my area, I've also learned to make my own spots which has been a super valuable skill. My crew has a large DIY on private land, building there has been some of the most valuable time spent in my life so far. Not saying you cant DIY in cali obviously, but the NEED for it where I'm at is why we started.

The lack of resources and good weather really makes you value the time you do get that much more. Also, because there is so much room for improvement, I've started a volunteer org/non profit for the skaters and skateparks near me, which has given me an outlet to give back and work with my community. It's much harder to make that type of change and have that type of community impact where its not needed.