Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 183750 times)

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #540 on: February 23, 2022, 08:23:50 AM »
^^^😂 guy, are you for real?
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #541 on: February 23, 2022, 08:33:04 AM »
The Pacific Northwest has the best concrete, better than California's butter smoothness. PNW gets just enough snow to deteriorate the surface, giving a nice grittiness, reminiscent of the east coast but not completely obliterated by freezing and thawing.

I would rather live in Cali though, with its beautiful weather year-round. God, I miss it, I'm so sick of the snow and rain here in the east.  :(

Older concrete in the PNW had a significantly higher volume of rock aggregate, which is more expensive but which lasts longer in the rain and provides better traction. It’s also a natural skate stopper. Modern concrete is good enough that you don’t really have to spec special material for a place like Portland or Seattle, so it’s all smooth, but it still usually gets scored in such a way as to draw the water in a certain direction.

Of course, the average parking lot is still asphalt, which is much cheaper in the short run but which gets destroyed through rain and the freeze/thaw cycle at the same rate as anything else that far north.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

IpathCats

« Reply #542 on: February 23, 2022, 08:48:45 AM »

100% and that usually bothers people like you, so I get it. Also, where was that BS you mentioned? Just trying to understand where you're coming from.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #543 on: February 23, 2022, 08:50:26 AM »
Expand Quote
if ur in cali it makes sense you don’t “get” griselda
[close]

Every rapper in my Top 10 is from the East Coast, incl G Rap, Big L and Pun. My point is there's nothing to "get" with these guys. The wordplay isn't witty, it's very much on the nose. The multis are simple and forced. It's just recycled raps about how you should watch out because somebody you're dealing coke to will probably jab a fork in your neck. What a complete borefest.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #544 on: February 23, 2022, 09:16:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

100% and that usually bothers people like you, so I get it. Also, where was that BS you mentioned? Just trying to understand where you're coming from.

I'll bite.

Usually when ppl identify something they don't have access to but easily can, they'll make efforts to overcome the obstacles that stand in their way to attain whatever it is they desire.

Others will whine about not having access to what they desire and will try to look for reasons why those who do have access to it are privileged and why not having it makes them a stronger or more unique person. Some of it may be true, but all of it is born from envy.

For you, what you clearly and desperately desire is smooth pavement, clear weather and a widely-accessible skateboard network and community.  What stands in your way is a tad less than 3,000 miles.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Uh Oh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
« Reply #545 on: February 23, 2022, 09:24:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'll bite.

Usually when ppl identify something they don't have access to but easily can, they'll make efforts to overcome the obstacles that stand in their way to attain whatever it is they desire.

Others will whine about not having access to what they desire and will try to look for reasons why those who do have access to it are privileged and why not having it makes them a stronger or more unique person. Some of it may be true, but all of it is born from envy.

For you, what you clearly and desperately desire is smooth pavement, clear weather and a widely-accessible skateboard network and community.  What stands in your way is a tad less than 3,000 miles.

For real. @IpathCats just leave Fredericksburg.

skunty

• Rep: 68
« Reply #546 on: February 23, 2022, 09:28:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'll bite.

He desires community - but transplanting yourself into another location doens't make you a member of a community. That's why Cali sucks compared to actually building a community where you live. That's why non-Cali companies are the hottest shit in skateboarding, because Cali sucks.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #547 on: February 23, 2022, 09:31:27 AM »
Expand Quote
The Pacific Northwest has the best concrete, better than California's butter smoothness. PNW gets just enough snow to deteriorate the surface, giving a nice grittiness, reminiscent of the east coast but not completely obliterated by freezing and thawing.

I would rather live in Cali though, with its beautiful weather year-round. God, I miss it, I'm so sick of the snow and rain here in the east.  :(
[close]

Older concrete in the PNW had a significantly higher volume of rock aggregate, which is more expensive but which lasts longer in the rain and provides better traction. It’s also a natural skate stopper. Modern concrete is good enough that you don’t really have to spec special material for a place like Portland or Seattle, so it’s all smooth, but it still usually gets scored in such a way as to draw the water in a certain direction.

Of course, the average parking lot is still asphalt, which is much cheaper in the short run but which gets destroyed through rain and the freeze/thaw cycle at the same rate as anything else that far north.

Huh, that's really interesting, I had no clue, thanks for the info. My knowledge of concrete is really limited, built some DIY stuff with friends, most of it didn't last the test of time.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Verdugo

• Rep: 1
« Reply #548 on: February 23, 2022, 09:48:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'll bite.

[close]

He desires community - but transplanting yourself into another location doens't make you a member of a community. That's why Cali sucks compared to actually building a community where you live. That's why non-Cali companies are the hottest shit in skateboarding, because Cali sucks.

I’m from the east coast and think California seems sick. I’ve been to Bakersfield, but that doesn’t really count. Not everything has to be a damn competition.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #549 on: February 23, 2022, 09:50:59 AM »
California as a setting doesn't particularly excite me as a spectator, but it seems a little callous to write off a whole land mass because it's an opportune place for a lot of skateboarders.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2152
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #550 on: February 23, 2022, 10:04:20 AM »
I’ve been to Bakersfield, but that doesn’t really count. Not everything has to be a damn competition.
https://youtu.be/-0v5yIw41QA
Don't underestimate Bakersfield, tho.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Hedgehog In Da Fog

• Rep: -15
« Reply #551 on: February 23, 2022, 10:12:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'll bite.

This post is further proof that California makes you soft and delusional, and it reminded me of the many real life cases of that I’ve seen. Now go build a DIY in the cold and maybe in the process you can build some goddamn character.

IpathCats

« Reply #552 on: February 23, 2022, 10:33:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'll bite.

I get how you would come to that conclusion, as it probably makes sense from your point of view. However, unfortunately for you, that's simply just not the case. When I was a kid, like most young skateboarders, I idealized cali, thought it would be cool to go live there where all the action is, but then I grew up. Getting older taught me a lot, I learned about east coast skate history, went to the legendary spots, met the people, got a feel for the culture, and its all really fucking rad. I much prefer the look and feel of what most would consider "east coast" skateboarding to cali (i guess more specifically socal).

It's very normal for people just keep wanting things, in an endless cycle of obtaining items, and checking arbitrary boxes in the search of happiness, when in reality happiness comes from within. I feel like this endless wanting is how so many lost ass MF's end up in cali, searching for happiness. As I've gotten older, I have started really understanding the value of wanting what you've got, appreciating what you have, hard work, and determination. When it comes to being the type of person I want to be, those things listed above are very important to me.

Sure I could move to cali to have an easier time skateboarding, but for what? To leave my friends and family? Abandon my crew and our DIY? Abandon my efforts to improve things for the skateboarders in my community?.....Nah I'm good on that.

My original point was mainly about how I'm not as impressed when kids from cali are good at a young age, because they just have it easier, point blank, theres no real debate there. Side part about cali being wack is pretty subjective to what i like in skateboarding, and my opinions on the culture out there. I'm sure plenty of people are stoked on being there. But I'm kind of a hater, I have my roots here, doing my thing in the area I'm from gets me sparked, and I love big city east coast VX footage, so this side of the country kinda suits me.

I'm sure cali is really cool for some, but lots of stupid things are really cool to lots of stupid people. Lol jk that was kinda harsh, perspective is reality, if you're made for that life out there, fine. I'm not.

PS. Still waiting on that "BS" you called earlier. not really seeing that anywhere.

skunty

• Rep: 68
« Reply #553 on: February 23, 2022, 10:54:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'll bite.

[close]

[close]

I’m from the east coast and think California seems sick. I’ve been to Bakersfield, but that doesn’t really count. Not everything has to be a damn competition.

Yeah I actually take it back mostly. Of course Cali is sick. It's the birthplace of skateboarding. Building community where you're at is also sick and a huge part of what skateboarding is, but really that's mostly skating culture disemminating from California and germinating new seeds of dopeness in other locales each with their own twist. I was mostly just snapping back at the pretentiosness of thinking everyone is jealous of Cali while making a point that people building where you're from is extremely dope and literally the leading edge of skateboarding right now (Palace, Quasi, Bronze56k, Polar, Passport, etc.)

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #554 on: February 23, 2022, 10:58:46 AM »

Best kept secret in the US!

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #555 on: February 23, 2022, 11:14:09 AM »
California is a very big state with a vast and diverse environment.

It’s not all Southern California North County SD groomed concrete.

That being said, weather kicks ass and we have amazing opportunities.

Also as a native Angeleno, Ricky Oyola is my favorite skater.

And people from here don’t say “Cali”

IpathCats

« Reply #556 on: February 23, 2022, 11:22:36 AM »

yea, was just an abbreviation. TRYING TO LIVE THAT LAID BACK CALI LYFE BRO

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #557 on: February 23, 2022, 11:28:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'll bite.

[close]

[close]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE-VR9mfd8s

IpathCats

« Reply #558 on: February 23, 2022, 11:36:17 AM »

For real. @IpathCats just leave Fredericksburg.

Fredericksburg is pretty fun. Not where I live though.

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #559 on: February 23, 2022, 11:43:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Haha well on the real I think that’s where a lot of the stereotypes come from. People have this image of what this place is when they come here and they fee they gotta live up to it so it becomes this weird ouroboros of bad behavior.
LA in particular. I work in the entertainment industry (firmly below the line) and I grew up in Hollywood. I’ve seen it happen so many times.
There are also lots of normal people here who just wanna live and are dentists and auto mechanics and whatnot.  We’re not all influencers. I think they’re just as irritating as everyone else does! 

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #560 on: February 23, 2022, 11:44:10 AM »

Ha. No PNW has pure crust and the worst roads in America. Don’t tell anyone but DC has a lot more smooth marble spots than just Pulaski. DMV area has  a good mixture of both perfect marble and straight crust. Also I think that by Cali they mean L.A.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

Verdugo

• Rep: 1
« Reply #561 on: February 23, 2022, 11:52:16 AM »
Expand Quote
I’ve been to Bakersfield, but that doesn’t really count. Not everything has to be a damn competition.
[close]
https://youtu.be/-0v5yIw41QA
Don't underestimate Bakersfield, tho.

Oh, I wouldn’t underestimate Bakersfield. It’s the first place I ever witnessed a MASS abundance of tweakers for the first time in my life.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #562 on: February 23, 2022, 12:10:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ha. No PNW has pure crust and the worst roads in America. Don’t tell anyone but DC has a lot more smooth marble spots than just Pulaski. DMV area has  a good mixture of both perfect marble and straight crust. Also I think that by Cali they mean L.A.

I've lived in both places and still prefer the PNW. I knew this was an unpopular opinion, hence why I posted it. I enjoy a bit of crust.  :)
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

KGB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #563 on: February 23, 2022, 12:17:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I've lived in both places and still prefer the PNW. I knew this was an unpopular opinion, hence why I posted it. I enjoy a bit of crust.  :)
I too have lived both places aside from the crust,which I don’t prefer, its hard enough to find a simple manual pad lol.

IpathCats

« Reply #564 on: February 23, 2022, 12:24:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Haha well on the real I think that’s where a lot of the stereotypes come from. People have this image of what this place is when they come here and they fee they gotta live up to it so it becomes this weird ouroboros of bad behavior.
LA in particular. I work in the entertainment industry (firmly below the line) and I grew up in Hollywood. I’ve seen it happen so many times.
There are also lots of normal people here who just wanna live and are dentists and auto mechanics and whatnot.  We’re not all influencers. I think they’re just as irritating as everyone else does!

That's fair, I do tend to boil down my ideas of Cali to socal, and more specifically LA. From what I gather though, the problems that plague LA, are pretty consistent with the issues faced in other parts of the state. High costs of living, homelessness, weirdo transplants,  fire, drought, you know, the usual California stuff.

IpathCats

« Reply #565 on: February 23, 2022, 12:25:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
I too have lived both places aside from the crust units hard enough to find a simple manual pad lol.
[close]

Oh sweet, where were you living at the time? I was in Tacoma and Bremerton. Bremerton has a lot of street spots and a really tight skate scene. In Tacoma you needed a car or bike to get from spot to spot, but Thea's Park!!! Spent so many nights there. The granite box and rounded ledges are pure love.

That is a very nice granite box.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #566 on: February 23, 2022, 12:42:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
I too have lived both places aside from the crust units hard enough to find a simple manual pad lol.
[close]

Oh sweet, where were you living at the time? I was in Tacoma and Bremerton. Bremerton has a lot of street spots and a really tight skate scene. In Tacoma you needed a car or bike to get from spot to spot, but Thea's Park!!! Spent so many nights there. The granite box and rounded ledges are pure love.

I was living in N. Portland, I did know of one nice manny pad but it was always crowded. As far as parks go I was at Pier all the time because I could skate there. But also Tigard and Ed Benedict was cool but way overcrowded normally. The street spots really were crusty and mostly all of them had some type of DIY addition to make them skateable. Unitis was probably the best real plaza but I avoided it because people were always filming,(pros), and it’s not really that big. I still can’t believe that part Silas recently put out in that rough ass park though. That is pure crust. I used to look at that place and dream about how nice and perfect it would be if it was smooth, and was blow away to see him skating that hard there. Respect to Silas. Also I do miss Cals Pharmacy and talking to Kyle, that place was/is the best.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gKDNl57jh7M

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #567 on: February 23, 2022, 01:16:27 PM »
Expand Quote
^What a dumbass opinion. California is not a monolith it's a huge state with lots of places in it that are different, stupid. Last time I checked skateboarding is still hard despite your geographical location. Where are you from that's so fucking cool?
[close]

Where I'm from isn't necessarily "cool", Cali is just fucking wack. It's much easier to learn and progress on perfect concrete, with great weather, with a shop on every corner, and pros at every park. There's plenty of stories about cali dudes touring the east coast and having a very difficult time. I know that's all anecdotal, but I've never heard of the inverse happening. I also feel like the accessibility of skateboarding out west has watered it down to some degree, when the hoops you have to jump through to have a good sesh are fewer, the dedication necessary to have said sesh is lower. I would wager that many people that skate in cali would not skate or they would skate far less if they were subject to east coast conditions. I feel like this is all pretty obvious and reasonable. but w/e

This here is what happens when your only perception of California is from consuming skate media and not actually visiting said place to experience what it is actually about. If you honestly think California is all "perfect concrete, perfect weather, shop on every corner, pros everywhere" then you are either greatly misinformed or deliberately ignorant.

Is skating more accessible and easier in select regions of CA than in other parts of the country with more difficult weather conditions? Yes, no fucking shit. Ever tried skating in San Francisco? Think the concrete is all sunshine and rainbows over there? Or does SF not count because your only point of reference is footage from LA/OC/SD?

Also, it really blows my mind that some of you are painting the accessibility of skating in California in a negative light. Accessibility in skateboarding is a good thing, why would it not be? The only reason I can think of to say something like that is because you wanted that same accessibility yourself, didn't get it, are mad about it, complain about it, and then come out the end of the tunnel looking like a whiny, jealous child who wants the world to be as miserable as you are.

Like look y'all, we get it. Skateboarding on the East Coast is hard. Cool. Everything in California is perfect and nothing is crusty. Awesome. Super original take! 

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #568 on: February 23, 2022, 01:20:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^What a dumbass opinion. California is not a monolith it's a huge state with lots of places in it that are different, stupid. Last time I checked skateboarding is still hard despite your geographical location. Where are you from that's so fucking cool?
[close]

Where I'm from isn't necessarily "cool", Cali is just fucking wack. It's much easier to learn and progress on perfect concrete, with great weather, with a shop on every corner, and pros at every park. There's plenty of stories about cali dudes touring the east coast and having a very difficult time. I know that's all anecdotal, but I've never heard of the inverse happening. I also feel like the accessibility of skateboarding out west has watered it down to some degree, when the hoops you have to jump through to have a good sesh are fewer, the dedication necessary to have said sesh is lower. I would wager that many people that skate in cali would not skate or they would skate far less if they were subject to east coast conditions. I feel like this is all pretty obvious and reasonable. but w/e
[close]

This here is what happens when your only perception of California is from consuming skate media and not actually visiting said place to experience what it is actually about. If you honestly think California is all "perfect concrete, perfect weather, shop on every corner, pros everywhere" then you are either greatly misinformed or deliberately ignorant.

Is skating more accessible and easier in select regions of CA than in other parts of the country with more difficult weather conditions? Yes, no fucking shit. Ever tried skating in San Francisco? Think the concrete is all sunshine and rainbows over there? Or does SF not count because your only point of reference is footage from LA/OC/SD?

Also, it really blows my mind that some of you are painting the accessibility of skating in California in a negative light. Accessibility in skateboarding is a good thing, why would it not be? The only reason I can think of to say something like that is because you wanted that same accessibility yourself, didn't get it, are mad about it, complain about it, and then come out the end of the tunnel looking like a whiny, jealous child who wants the world to be as miserable as you are.

Like look y'all, we get it. Skateboarding on the East Coast is hard. Cool. Everything in California is perfect and nothing is crusty. Awesome. Super original take!

SF is perfect

Certainly not terrible or even below average

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #569 on: February 23, 2022, 01:31:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

SF is perfect

Certainly not terrible or even below average

SF is one of the hardest places to skate on the planet. Are you being serious right now? I really gotta stop coming to UWTB, my brain has become an air fryer.