Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 183836 times)

IpathCats

Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #570 on: February 23, 2022, 01:31:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^What a dumbass opinion. California is not a monolith it's a huge state with lots of places in it that are different, stupid. Last time I checked skateboarding is still hard despite your geographical location. Where are you from that's so fucking cool?
[close]

Where I'm from isn't necessarily "cool", Cali is just fucking wack. It's much easier to learn and progress on perfect concrete, with great weather, with a shop on every corner, and pros at every park. There's plenty of stories about cali dudes touring the east coast and having a very difficult time. I know that's all anecdotal, but I've never heard of the inverse happening. I also feel like the accessibility of skateboarding out west has watered it down to some degree, when the hoops you have to jump through to have a good sesh are fewer, the dedication necessary to have said sesh is lower. I would wager that many people that skate in cali would not skate or they would skate far less if they were subject to east coast conditions. I feel like this is all pretty obvious and reasonable. but w/e
[close]

This here is what happens when your only perception of California is from consuming skate media and not actually visiting said place to experience what it is actually about. If you honestly think California is all "perfect concrete, perfect weather, shop on every corner, pros everywhere" then you are either greatly misinformed or deliberately ignorant.

Is skating more accessible and easier in select regions of CA than in other parts of the country with more difficult weather conditions? Yes, no fucking shit. Ever tried skating in San Francisco? Think the concrete is all sunshine and rainbows over there? Or does SF not count because your only point of reference is footage from LA/OC/SD?

Also, it really blows my mind that some of you are painting the accessibility of skating in California in a negative light. Accessibility in skateboarding is a good thing, why would it not be? The only reason I can think of to say something like that is because you wanted that same accessibility yourself, didn't get it, are mad about it, complain about it, and then come out the end of the tunnel looking like a whiny, jealous child who wants the world to be as miserable as you are.

Like look y'all, we get it. Skateboarding on the East Coast is hard. Cool. Everything in California is perfect and nothing is crusty. Awesome. Super original take!

You didn't read my posts and it shows. That's aight though, stay mad, I'm good.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #571 on: February 23, 2022, 01:35:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^What a dumbass opinion. California is not a monolith it's a huge state with lots of places in it that are different, stupid. Last time I checked skateboarding is still hard despite your geographical location. Where are you from that's so fucking cool?
[close]

Where I'm from isn't necessarily "cool", Cali is just fucking wack. It's much easier to learn and progress on perfect concrete, with great weather, with a shop on every corner, and pros at every park. There's plenty of stories about cali dudes touring the east coast and having a very difficult time. I know that's all anecdotal, but I've never heard of the inverse happening. I also feel like the accessibility of skateboarding out west has watered it down to some degree, when the hoops you have to jump through to have a good sesh are fewer, the dedication necessary to have said sesh is lower. I would wager that many people that skate in cali would not skate or they would skate far less if they were subject to east coast conditions. I feel like this is all pretty obvious and reasonable. but w/e
[close]

This here is what happens when your only perception of California is from consuming skate media and not actually visiting said place to experience what it is actually about. If you honestly think California is all "perfect concrete, perfect weather, shop on every corner, pros everywhere" then you are either greatly misinformed or deliberately ignorant.

Is skating more accessible and easier in select regions of CA than in other parts of the country with more difficult weather conditions? Yes, no fucking shit. Ever tried skating in San Francisco? Think the concrete is all sunshine and rainbows over there? Or does SF not count because your only point of reference is footage from LA/OC/SD?

Also, it really blows my mind that some of you are painting the accessibility of skating in California in a negative light. Accessibility in skateboarding is a good thing, why would it not be? The only reason I can think of to say something like that is because you wanted that same accessibility yourself, didn't get it, are mad about it, complain about it, and then come out the end of the tunnel looking like a whiny, jealous child who wants the world to be as miserable as you are.

Like look y'all, we get it. Skateboarding on the East Coast is hard. Cool. Everything in California is perfect and nothing is crusty. Awesome. Super original take!
[close]

You didn't read my posts and it shows. That's aight though, stay mad, I'm good.

Unfortunately I did read your post. My brain got smoother by the second doing so.

IpathCats

« Reply #572 on: February 23, 2022, 01:56:31 PM »

Unfortunately I did read your post. My brain got smoother by the second doing so.

You should change your IG to @californiamadboi and start riding dirt bikes instead of skateboarding.

skunty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #573 on: February 23, 2022, 02:08:06 PM »
"If you honestly think California is all "perfect concrete, perfect weather, shop on every corner, pros everywhere" then you are either greatly misinformed or deliberately ignorant."

or they're obviously saying it's like that BY COMPARISON to the rest of the world - which it obviously is. There have been like 7 people coming in trying to say "not all of CA" like duh obviously, that's not the check mate you think it is.

"Also, it really blows my mind that some of you are painting the accessibility of skating in California in a negative light. Accessibility in skateboarding is a good thing, why would it not be?"

It's not that existing skating accessibility is bad, it's that everywhere else people are forging new ground in skating accessibility and that's sicker. But all this was explained in the previous posts that you supposedly read so I can't wait to explain it again after your next sick burn.

edit: i fucked upt he quote formatting so I just did it this way instead

IpathCats

« Reply #574 on: February 23, 2022, 03:36:22 PM »

This post is further proof that California makes you soft and delusional, and it reminded me of the many real life cases of that I’ve seen. Now go build a DIY in the cold and maybe in the process you can build some goddamn character.

Finally, someone that gets it. I love you.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #575 on: February 23, 2022, 04:54:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

SF is perfect

Certainly not terrible or even below average
[close]

SF is one of the hardest places to skate on the planet. Are you being serious right now? I really gotta stop coming to UWTB, my brain has become an air fryer.
SF is rough and the hills are no joke but there are places that are way harder to skate, go to Latin America or Africa if you really want shit thats hard as fuck to skate

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #576 on: February 23, 2022, 05:09:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

SF is perfect

[close]

SF is one of the hardest places to skate on the planet. Are you being serious right now? I really gotta stop coming to UWTB, my brain has become an air fryer.
[close]
SF is rough and the hills are no joke but there are places that are way harder to skate, go to Latin America or Africa if you really want shit thats hard as fuck to skate

Yeah dude or the North Pole, the spots up there are crusty as hell

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #577 on: February 23, 2022, 05:37:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

SF is perfect

[close]

[close]
[close]

Yeah dude or the North Pole, the spots up there are crusty as hell
Im from Guatemala and have skated a lot of parts of the country and surrounding countries, and there are still (very small) scenes in these places with people who rip even though the spots are complete shit.

Dont get me wrong SF is rough for sure and the spots are harder to skate than they look in the videos, but lets not get ahead of ourselves saying its one of the hardest places to skate in the world. There are places in the US alone that are harder to skate.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #578 on: February 23, 2022, 05:53:58 PM »
Do you get more gnar points if you do an easier trick on a hard to skate spot or a hard trick on an easier to skate spot? Crust sometimes doesn’t translate well on film so it can be like “oh neat a front shuv on a small bank” when maybe that bank has the texture of broken lava but you can’t tell. Vs a solid line on normal terrain. Any major city that hasn’t had a huge budget crisis and that doesn’t have a shitty winter will have better ground texture. Why does it matter? It’s not like even nice spots are skateparks.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #579 on: February 23, 2022, 07:16:54 PM »
Why come Florida didnt/wasn't more of a rival for California? It's got a billion pros and Tampa comp. It would make way more sense for skaters from the east coast if rather than moving out to Cali they only had to go a bit south. It's closer to Europe if that means anything. Are people scared of crocodiles? Just shoot them with the guns you all have.

veritas

« Reply #580 on: February 23, 2022, 07:27:01 PM »
Expand Quote
new york city is blown out and footage from it is getting boring
[close]

I think Carlisle aikens should leave

Nothing worse than seeing the new Craig team at nyc spots making them look bland and boring, take that shit back to Lockwood

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #581 on: February 23, 2022, 07:57:07 PM »
Do you get more gnar points if you do an easier trick on a hard to skate spot or a hard trick on an easier to skate spot? Crust sometimes doesn’t translate well on film so it can be like “oh neat a front shuv on a small bank” when maybe that bank has the texture of broken lava but you can’t tell. Vs a solid line on normal terrain. Any major city that hasn’t had a huge budget crisis and that doesn’t have a shitty winter will have better ground texture. Why does it matter? It’s not like even nice spots are skateparks.

I prefer a simpler trick on a gnarlier spot.  Since I have like 4 tricks, I can’t really relate to most tech skating. 

I think it’s interesting seeing someone figure out how to skate some awkward, funky, crusty spot.

Plus, the gnarlier spot will always leave a bigger impact with me.  It’s like it activates different a different part of my brain, probably the more primitive, fight-or-flight part.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

switchfakie

« Reply #582 on: February 23, 2022, 09:17:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I prefer a simpler trick on a gnarlier spot.  Since I have like 4 tricks, I can’t really relate to most tech skating. 

I think it’s interesting seeing someone figure out how to skate some awkward, funky, crusty spot.

Plus, the gnarlier spot will always leave a bigger impact with me.  It’s like it activates different a different part of my brain, probably the more primitive, fight-or-flight part.

what are your 4 tricks?

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #583 on: February 23, 2022, 09:22:32 PM »
i can’t imagine this is an unpopular opinion: shut the fuck up with your boring ass bickering about california. do it in the PMs if you must

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #584 on: February 24, 2022, 04:04:33 AM »
Breeana geering is David loy

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #585 on: February 24, 2022, 04:18:45 AM »

Please elaborate

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #586 on: February 24, 2022, 04:33:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Please elaborate

Just kinda annoying in punky cosplay. Does corny shit.

IpathCats

« Reply #587 on: February 24, 2022, 04:35:33 AM »

My whole point was about not being as impressed by all the fetus rippers from Cali because they have it easier. I would definitely be more impressed if a kid from Africa/north pole or any place with little to no access to skateboarding had substantial skills at a young age over an east coast kid. I'm not looking for crust lol, I feel like people are missing my point, but that's fine, I'm used to it on here haha.

IpathCats

« Reply #588 on: February 24, 2022, 04:37:33 AM »

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #589 on: February 24, 2022, 04:51:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Please elaborate

[close]

I don't see it

Corny ass MF
You have never owned ipath cats

IpathCats

« Reply #590 on: February 24, 2022, 06:12:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Please elaborate

[close]
[close]

I don't see it

Expand Quote
Corny ass MF
[close]
You have never owned ipath cats

Wdym? They're right there in my profile pic.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #591 on: February 24, 2022, 06:27:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
California is a very big state with a vast and diverse environment.

It’s not all Southern California North County SD groomed concrete.

That being said, weather kicks ass and we have amazing opportunities.

Also as a native Angeleno, Ricky Oyola is my favorite skater.

And people from here don’t say “Cali”
[close]

yea, was just an abbreviation. TRYING TO LIVE THAT LAID BACK CALI LYFE BRO
[close]

Haha well on the real I think that’s where a lot of the stereotypes come from. People have this image of what this place is when they come here and they fee they gotta live up to it so it becomes this weird ouroboros of bad behavior.
LA in particular. I work in the entertainment industry (firmly below the line) and I grew up in Hollywood. I’ve seen it happen so many times.
There are also lots of normal people here who just wanna live and are dentists and auto mechanics and whatnot.  We’re not all influencers. I think they’re just as irritating as everyone else does!
[close]

That's fair, I do tend to boil down my ideas of Cali to socal, and more specifically LA. From what I gather though, the problems that plague LA, are pretty consistent with the issues faced in other parts of the state. High costs of living, homelessness, weirdo transplants,  fire, drought, you know, the usual California stuff.

You're describing the problems of the entire west coast
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #592 on: February 24, 2022, 06:34:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The Pacific Northwest has the best concrete, better than California's butter smoothness. PNW gets just enough snow to deteriorate the surface, giving a nice grittiness, reminiscent of the east coast but not completely obliterated by freezing and thawing.

I would rather live in Cali though, with its beautiful weather year-round. God, I miss it, I'm so sick of the snow and rain here in the east.  :(
[close]

Ha. No PNW has pure crust and the worst roads in America. Don’t tell anyone but DC has a lot more smooth marble spots than just Pulaski. DMV area has  a good mixture of both perfect marble and straight crust. Also I think that by Cali they mean L.A.
[close]

I've lived in both places and still prefer the PNW. I knew this was an unpopular opinion, hence why I posted it. I enjoy a bit of crust.  :)
[close]
I too have lived both places aside from the crust units hard enough to find a simple manual pad lol.
[close]

Oh sweet, where were you living at the time? I was in Tacoma and Bremerton. Bremerton has a lot of street spots and a really tight skate scene. In Tacoma you needed a car or bike to get from spot to spot, but Thea's Park!!! Spent so many nights there. The granite box and rounded ledges are pure love.

https://youtu.be/vKtB1Oij-Eg
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #593 on: February 24, 2022, 06:37:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Please elaborate

[close]

One of the most kook opinions I've seen here lately, which is really saying something
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -291
« Reply #594 on: February 24, 2022, 07:08:46 AM »
Skating in Cali is objectively easier. Being a skater in Cali is easier. Lol at the Cali defense squad.

David Loy is definitely not punk lol. He's more of a festival rave kid, which is like the polar opposite of punk.

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #595 on: February 24, 2022, 09:06:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My whole point was about not being as impressed by all the fetus rippers from Cali because they have it easier. I would definitely be more impressed if a kid from Africa/north pole or any place with little to no access to skateboarding had substantial skills at a young age over an east coast kid. I'm not looking for crust lol, I feel like people are missing my point, but that's fine, I'm used to it on here haha.
Then don't write it as SF is one of the hardest places in the earth to skate. It comes across different when you express like you did above

MusclesMarinara

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #596 on: February 24, 2022, 10:00:17 AM »
Imagine if Arto, Rowley, and Penny didn't have the luxury off that smooth Cali ground to sky rocket their careers

/s
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #597 on: February 25, 2022, 08:10:55 AM »
I find skaters that has hobbies outside of skating like surfing, art and music to be one dimensional and played out

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #598 on: February 25, 2022, 08:25:36 AM »
yeah fuck enjoying yourself, there's enough suckers out there doing that. So played out.

boogs

« Reply #599 on: February 25, 2022, 08:31:44 AM »
skateboarding made me the artist i am today