Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 183758 times)

BALARGUE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #660 on: March 11, 2022, 01:18:53 AM »
Jesse Vieira belongs in prison

he did wrong
and there was a trial
you probably know less about the situation than members of jury, etc.
Justice has spoken

Chico was there ?
i missed that bit

LebowskisRug

« Reply #661 on: March 11, 2022, 06:55:51 AM »
Can someone quickly explain the Stevie Perez hate he seems fine to me?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #662 on: March 11, 2022, 08:16:21 AM »
Can someone quickly explain the Stevie Perez hate he seems fine to me?

F word

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=102143.0

skunty

• Rep: 68
« Reply #663 on: March 11, 2022, 08:26:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
no 5-0 or nosegrind should ever scrape. fucking degenerates
[close]
[close]
Ok Mr. Manualgrind
[close]

i have since partially redacted my opinion after discussing it with my colleagues. pinched 5-0s are allright. i remain firm that non-pinched scraping 5-0's are disgusting & scraping nosegrinds just look like you're trying to shovel shitty wax off the ledge which rollerbladers left behind

backside 5-0 scrape, frontside 5-0 pinch, flip out of 5-0 balanced

cky enthusiast

« Reply #664 on: March 13, 2022, 07:35:19 AM »
I don't really understand how p spliff became some kind of folk hero when most people in sf didn't enjoy his presence at events, sessions, in general when he was alive.

i enjoyed his presence fwiw

LebowskisRug

« Reply #665 on: March 13, 2022, 09:25:07 AM »
I don't really understand how p spliff became some kind of folk hero when most people in sf didn't enjoy his presence at events, sessions, in general when he was alive.

Even is this is true what good does it really do to bring up? Dude suffered the ultimate worst fate a human can by dying at a young age and seemed genuinely happy all the time. Definitely happier than a dude that comes onto a message board to talk shit on the dead.

switchfakie

« Reply #666 on: March 21, 2022, 11:35:33 PM »
Ishods latest REAL part had an absurdly amazing trick selection, but the filming was absolute dog water

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #667 on: March 22, 2022, 02:42:06 AM »
Ishods kits aren't that good. They're fine/good, just not worth raving about like many do. People are just Magpies

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -75
« Reply #668 on: March 22, 2022, 03:04:57 PM »
liking Eric Koston in 2022 is fine & reasonable

Brguy

« Reply #669 on: March 22, 2022, 03:34:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Even is this is true what good does it really do to bring up? Dude suffered the ultimate worst fate a human can by dying at a young age and seemed genuinely happy all the time. Definitely happier than a dude that comes onto a message board to talk shit on the dead.
Either someone like him enough to put his name out there or they didn't want to waste footage.

veritas

« Reply #670 on: March 22, 2022, 03:41:59 PM »
917 has completely shit the bed since running off their whole team, which was the whole identity of the brand. Its become directionless and hard to care about without a team

milk.razor

• Rep: 11
« Reply #671 on: March 22, 2022, 03:48:38 PM »
917 has completely shit the bed since running off their whole team, which was the whole identity of the brand. Its become directionless and hard to care about without a team

Pretty popular opinion there, I think. My unpopular opinion is i still kinda admire AO even though he foolish
No fun allowed. Also get your phone out and film this for my insta edit. Also don’t breath too loud. Bitch.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #672 on: March 22, 2022, 04:01:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Pretty popular opinion there, I think. My unpopular opinion is i still kinda admire AO even though he foolish

i was watching the new 917 video today and thought “having no team might be the best thing that has ever happened to alex. he can do what he wants, when he wants, baker boys will worry about actually selling the shit and he’s just gonna get cut a nice check”

jems

• Rep: 6
« Reply #673 on: March 22, 2022, 05:13:00 PM »
i don’t really fw 4:3 hd it’s just not genuine

see a lot snowsports filmers ripping like 360p in 4:3 on hpx like what’s the point?
please send me tapes

LiterallyRyan

• Rep: -19
« Reply #674 on: March 23, 2022, 10:29:27 AM »
Howard/Pupecki Grinds are gonna fall off pretty quick.

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #675 on: March 23, 2022, 03:22:19 PM »
this one might be more popular, but BATB would be far more entertaining if they just got pro skaters to fistfight instead of boring skateboarding
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #676 on: March 23, 2022, 10:31:46 PM »
After a weak late 2000s and most of 2010s, we are currently in one of the greatest eras of skateboarding of all-time.

The only people who think otherwise spend way too much time on Instagram (subconsciously) looking for reasons to be upset about Skateboarding instead of going out and skating.

So much unique creative skating going on right now. Any niche type of skating from any other era is represented right now. People are doing new and exciting stuff. So many interesting skaters and teams. So much awesome music in skate videos from the widest range of genres ever represented in skateboarding. VX is back with a vengeance. Folks finally figured out how to do HD filming in a way that is true to skateboarding. 60+fps skate footage is awesome. Cameras have never been more widely available for catching crazy random stuff on phones.

Bronze 56k. They get their own paragraph here.

Women are pushing skating so hard right now. Queer folks are accepted as skaters have become more open minded and accepting people.

So many awesome skate websites like quartersnacks, jenkem, freeskatemag, etc etc

Skate wheels are awesome right now. So many deck shapes are available it's insane. We've got woodshop knowledge at our fingertips. Like for real, we are spoiled right now.

There are sick skateparks everywhere. Its nutty. I also feel like the general population treats skaters better than 20 years ago all things considered.

I could go on forever. Skating is so sick right now. Go out and enjoy it. Watch some awesome videos. Listen to some great music. Get off Instagram if it's making you feel negative about the current state of skating.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #677 on: March 23, 2022, 10:43:45 PM »
i don’t really fw 4:3 hd it’s just not genuine

see a lot snowsports filmers ripping like 360p in 4:3 on hpx like what’s the point?

I think downgrading the resolution is pointless... But I think aspect ratio is a valid aesthetic choice as long as you aren't stretching/squeezing from one ratio to another. That shit is just pure amature hour rookie mistake.

4:3 with a fisheye can really make skating look faster and spots look bigger. I think if properly done, HD 4:3 has it's time and place.

Downgrading HD to 480p or less? Hard pass.

I'll admit though, I'm a sucker for the Dancing On Thin Ice CRT display effect. I love/hate it, but mostly love.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #678 on: March 23, 2022, 10:49:27 PM »
After a weak late 2000s and most of 2010s, we are currently in one of the greatest eras of skateboarding of all-time.

The only people who think otherwise spend way too much time on Instagram (subconsciously) looking for reasons to be upset about Skateboarding instead of going out and skating.

So much unique creative skating going on right now. Any niche type of skating from any other era is represented right now. People are doing new and exciting stuff. So many interesting skaters and teams. So much awesome music in skate videos from the widest range of genres ever represented in skateboarding. VX is back with a vengeance. Folks finally figured out how to do HD filming in a way that is true to skateboarding. 60+fps skate footage is awesome. Cameras have never been more widely available for catching crazy random stuff on phones.

Women are pushing skating so hard right now. Queer folks are accepted as skaters have become more open minded and accepting people.

So many awesome skate websites like quartersnacks, jenkem, freeskatemag, etc etc

Skate wheels are awesome right now. So many deck shapes are available it's insane. We've got woodshop knowledge at our fingertips. Like for real, we are spoiled right now.

There are sick skateparks everywhere. Its nutty. I also feel like the general population treats skaters better than 20 years ago all things considered.

I could go on forever. Skating is so sick right now. Go out and enjoy it. Watch some awesome videos. Listen to some great music. Get off Instagram if it's making you feel negative about the current state of skating.
Nah late 2000s 2010s weren't weak, they ruled. It's just too recent to look back with nostalgia goggles. In 2030 people will be saying the same thing about 2022

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #679 on: March 24, 2022, 01:38:46 AM »
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #680 on: March 24, 2022, 02:10:39 AM »
The Danny Way MannyBusters is still better than anything Gifted Hater has put out.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #681 on: March 24, 2022, 05:40:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Nah late 2000s 2010s weren't weak, they ruled. It's just too recent to look back with nostalgia goggles. In 2030 people will be saying the same thing about 2022

I remember when Fully Flared came out and I was severely disappointed after all of the hype it was given. Pretty Sweet as well. That whole era felt like an age of growing pains into HD. So many dollys and stabilizers and crane shots. So whack. It just felt like skateboarding had lost it's way.

Early 2010s had some bright spots like Bronze, but mostly everything that made the early 2010s great has still been present in some form over the past 5-7 years. 2016-2022 has been an increasingly great era in my eyes.

I've also just personally really enjoyed skating and skaters during this time period. People are so kind and just hyped on skating around my parts. Doesn't seem like skaters think being a dick to people unprovoked is a cool personality trait anymore.

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #682 on: March 24, 2022, 05:52:33 AM »
https://youtu.be/f5WiJVz7pFY
2010s were sick

last bronze dvd i got to buy. Still in the rotation program here at home.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #683 on: March 24, 2022, 07:03:03 AM »
Everybody knows that the golden years of skateboarding were MY formative years, specifically.

Brguy

« Reply #684 on: March 24, 2022, 07:56:47 AM »
2010s was either really bland or the beginnings of all the good stuff we have today.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #685 on: March 24, 2022, 08:25:55 AM »
ha, not sure if that was directly specifically at me but the time period i called wack (2007-2012) was a large chunk of my teenage years and, as such, is a period in skateboard culture that i'm "supposed" to be nostalgic for. in reality, i was thrilled to see skateboarding move beyond those gross trends in clothes and combo tricks

Not you specifically, more of a general joke about skateboarding eras. I just think it's funny whenever the discussion comes up, most people's "golden era" is basically my post, unironically.

Nostalgia's a hell of a drug.

IpathCats

« Reply #686 on: March 24, 2022, 10:00:04 AM »
Expand Quote
ha, not sure if that was directly specifically at me but the time period i called wack (2007-2012) was a large chunk of my teenage years and, as such, is a period in skateboard culture that i'm "supposed" to be nostalgic for. in reality, i was thrilled to see skateboarding move beyond those gross trends in clothes and combo tricks
[close]

Not you specifically, more of a general joke about skateboarding eras. I just think it's funny whenever the discussion comes up, most people's "golden era" is basically my post, unironically.

Nostalgia's a hell of a drug.

"back in my day they just did things right, you know?!"

veritas

« Reply #687 on: March 24, 2022, 02:15:56 PM »
Everybody knows that the golden years of skateboarding were MY formative years, specifically.

SSBSTRS

• Rep: 6
« Reply #688 on: March 27, 2022, 09:51:51 AM »
Lipslides on ledges are ass. I don’t care if you flip in, flip out, do it switch, whatever. It’s just not a good looking trick

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #689 on: March 27, 2022, 10:52:28 AM »
Lipslides on ledges are ass. I don’t care if you flip in, flip out, do it switch, whatever. It’s just not a good looking trick

That's one of the most popular opinions