Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 183760 times)

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #750 on: April 16, 2022, 01:10:51 AM »
The more I watch Andy Mac’s insta, the more endearing he becomes.

I’m seriously impressed by the amount of time he still puts in on his board, and what he can still do.

Vert jocks seem to have a longer shelf life than street rats.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Brguy

« Reply #751 on: April 16, 2022, 03:58:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
probably not that unpopular of an opinion but my Instagram explore page is nothing but 3 year olds skating vert and models doing stationary kickflips.
[close]
In fact it's not even an opinion
[close]

my bad. my opinion is i hate the instagram explore page
Now that's not unpopular.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #752 on: April 16, 2022, 07:19:54 AM »
pants looked better in footage right before everyone cared so much about pants (2016-2018)
Agree and I'd even nudge it forward two years. If you knew what was up you weren't in the side pipe'n chinos by then anyway. Shoes were better then too. Actually has any product got better in the last five years? It's certainly more expensive.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #753 on: April 16, 2022, 11:23:25 AM »
Probably going to get shot for this one but I’m not really into San Francisco footage.  I’d rather see LA or New York footage.  The scenery and spots just doesn’t do it for me.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #754 on: April 16, 2022, 11:30:27 AM »
Expand Quote
pants looked better in footage right before everyone cared so much about pants (2016-2018)
[close]
Agree and I'd even nudge it forward two years. If you knew what was up you weren't in the side pipe'n chinos by then anyway. Shoes were better then too. Actually has any product got better in the last five years? It's certainly more expensive.
Also pants look horrible now bc everyone just wears polar big boys or butter goods baggy pants. It’s so homogeneous

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #755 on: April 16, 2022, 11:54:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Also pants look horrible now bc everyone just wears polar big boys or butter goods baggy pants. It’s so homogeneous

was skating a spot the other day, and there was like a crew of like 6 guys, all in their 30s, all wearing the same butter goods jeans. i found it pretty humorous.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #756 on: April 16, 2022, 01:56:57 PM »
I can’t stand cross locked 50-50s and in general a really obvious pinch takes away from some rail tricks.

Coffee

• Rep: 36
« Reply #757 on: April 16, 2022, 06:07:04 PM »
I wouldn't be caught dead in one of their shirts. But I like the Santa Cruz team. And that new Blake part was sick.

I fully agree with this. Kevin Braun is one of my current favorites and Tom Asta should really have top shelf sponsors but seemed to settle for the guaranteed SC paycheck and whatever eS is paying him(not enough). Jake Wooten is one of the only transition skaters I pay attention too and Fabiana probably is the gnarliest female skate right now. I just hate the Santa Cruz brand.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #758 on: April 18, 2022, 01:28:40 AM »

I’m seriously impressed by the amount of time he still puts in on his board, and what he can still do.

Andy Mac is sick as fuck. Understand why he got kooked on but honestly dude is so harmless and has ripped at an insane level for so long you have to love him. He's clearly having a blast every time he touches a board.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #759 on: April 18, 2022, 08:33:44 AM »
foy is in my top 5.  dont care that he wears redbull hats.  really good "bolts" style.  had best edit in shrimp blunt

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #760 on: April 18, 2022, 09:02:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Andy Mac is sick as fuck. Understand why he got kooked on but honestly dude is so harmless and has ripped at an insane level for so long you have to love him. He's clearly having a blast every time he touches a board.

I back this. Dude has sustained an entire career by being "good enough", that's sort of the dream isn't it? Definitely seems like he's having the most fun.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #761 on: April 18, 2022, 09:08:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I back this. Dude has sustained an entire career by being "good enough", that's sort of the dream isn't it? Definitely seems like he's having the most fun.

I sort of take issue with defining Andy as "good enough"  When He and only a handful of dudes dominated vert for 2 decades.

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 105
« Reply #762 on: April 18, 2022, 09:29:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

One of the first issues of The Skateboard Mag had an article on Andy Mac and I remember the premise being skaters hate him for being successful outside of the traditional industry. “He made it without us,” said the sourpusses. He made it to where a lot of people want to be, even if they won’t admit it to themselves. Maybe there’s a case to be made that his route paved a way for so many offshoots of popularity and sponsorship today, but eh, I’m not taking the time.
Also, at a glance he kinda puts off a wholesome, family-friendly vibe.

To see skaters age up and keep skating at high levels and enjoying themselves is encouraging to my youngish tired bones!

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #763 on: April 18, 2022, 09:37:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

I sort of take issue with defining Andy as "good enough"  When He and only a handful of dudes dominated vert for 2 decades.

That totally wasn't a dig at his skill, he obviously rips. I think about it more in a sense that he never chased GOAT status by pushing it to the next level.

I think the best comparison is your average bench player on an NBA team or whatever. They're the best basketball player in their town/city/state by a wide margin, but some guys know they aren't going to be Lebron or Kobe or whatever. They may not get the glory but they get to play basketball for a living.

Andy Mac skates within his abilities and still seems to be in pretty decent shape as opposed to someone like Danny way who's had how many life threatening injuries & surgeries? Andy is still skating at a high level and having a ton of fun and will still be able to walk & remember his name later in life, seems pretty good to me.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #764 on: April 18, 2022, 10:23:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

One of the first issues of The Skateboard Mag had an article on Andy Mac and I remember the premise being skaters hate him for being successful outside of the traditional industry. “He made it without us,” said the sourpusses. He made it to where a lot of people want to be, even if they won’t admit it to themselves. Maybe there’s a case to be made that his route paved a way for so many offshoots of popularity and sponsorship today, but eh, I’m not taking the time.

To see skaters age up and keep skating at high levels and enjoying themselves is encouraging to my youngish tired bones!
I used to hate seeing that nerd and then grew up and noticed he’s still around and still skating for a living. He’s an enigma since he was never a huge name to begin with like any Bones Brigade guys. I said this in the other thread but he hit up Patagucci and they took him on as the only skater. I would consider committing serious crimes against humanity for that shot. Andy Macavelli makes power moves

Frutsiseltzer

• Rep: 4
« Reply #765 on: April 18, 2022, 10:42:50 AM »
Half-cabs are way too iconic to be Steve Caballero’s model like wish they were from another skater tbh

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #766 on: April 18, 2022, 10:58:59 AM »
foy is in my top 5.  dont care that he wears redbull hats.  really good "bolts" style.  had best edit in shrimp blunt

I feel like his ledge skating gets overshadowed by his handrail stuff.  I love how long he holds his grinds.

My brain is pretty much trained to not even see the Red Bull hat anymore.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #767 on: April 18, 2022, 11:06:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel like his ledge skating gets overshadowed by his handrail stuff.  I love how long he holds his grinds.

Yes he is dope. The hat sucks but dude‘s got to get paid.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #768 on: April 18, 2022, 11:16:42 AM »
Today's illiterate youth will be lost without the wisdom in this sacred text

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #769 on: April 18, 2022, 11:19:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think all are eclipsed by his girth….

tonyhawksmanywives

• Rep: 9
« Reply #770 on: April 18, 2022, 11:49:38 AM »
My  (maybe not unpopular idk) opinion is i hate when people refer to skate parts or videos as edits. Just feels like it takes away hard work

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #771 on: April 18, 2022, 01:04:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

i see what you’re saying, but he also brought no one with him. part of making bank outside the traditional industry is bringing along your compatriots. you don’t shut the door behind you. i get the sense andy might’ve done that.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #772 on: April 18, 2022, 10:05:43 PM »
Chris Nieratko was many mean times to Dio.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #773 on: April 18, 2022, 10:29:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I think all are eclipsed by his girth….

Have you seen Foy sans hat? It ain't pretty.

Half-cabs are way too iconic to be Steve Caballero’s model like wish they were from another skater tbh
I half feel this way but don't really believe in rewriting history (for lack of better word). I've said before it's a shame that Salman's shoe wasn't on the same level and barbee should of also had an all time shoe. Airwalks also completely blown it Tony hawk and Jason Lee's shoes should of been all-time too. Natas Etnies could of been like Jordan 1s

3D X-Ray Vision

« Reply #774 on: April 18, 2022, 10:55:19 PM »
Alien 2.0 is sicker than Mind Field-era AWS. Aside from Jake Johnson, Mind Field was sort of dull. I just don't like superteams and Dyrdek's and Mikey's parts should have been left on the cutting room floor. New Alien has a much more interesting, low-key mix of styles, is generally cooler and makes me want to skate more than 2000s AWS.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #775 on: April 19, 2022, 08:44:18 AM »
Alien 2.0 is sicker than Mind Field-era AWS. Aside from Jake Johnson, Mind Field was sort of dull. I just don't like superteams and Dyrdek's and Mikey's parts should have been left on the cutting room floor. New Alien has a much more interesting, low-key mix of styles, is generally cooler and makes me want to skate more than 2000s AWS.
fuck off

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #776 on: April 19, 2022, 08:47:08 AM »

This is like, objectively wrong.

quackquack

• Rep: -378
« Reply #777 on: April 19, 2022, 09:12:40 AM »

Me brain no like words your brain made.
Oh, the places you'll go.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #778 on: April 19, 2022, 09:25:45 AM »
It’s ok if what you like isn’t the best…..

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #779 on: April 19, 2022, 09:53:44 AM »

This is the type of shit I wanna see in an unpopular opinion thread. Because it’s an awful, awful opinion.

My unpopular opinion is that Gifted Hater is super bland and I don’t really get his videos. I don’t dislike them but there’s nothing memorable at all about him sitting there and talking or whatever.