Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 183880 times)

jakeumms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1278
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #870 on: May 03, 2022, 11:36:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
anyone who is hate watching, hate posting about, or hate engaging in any way with BATB12/the BATB12 thread is ultimately contributing to its success, regardless of how much you criticize it
[close]

I haven't been following the skate world so much the last 3 months and was legit surprised that BATB12 is still running. But I don't feel like reading 60 pages of that thread nor feel like watching all the games.

Can someone tell me the highlights so far?
Are the finals in sight now?

Thanks in advance. Scientology is lame.
[close]
They're finally into the second round. There have been a lot of substitutions and gimmicky games. Finals are gonna be broadcast on some fucking app that Berra owes money or something
[close]

i don't know anybody IRL who is complaining about BATB12. this counters the opinion that OC said, i think we all focused any logs of shit we gave about BATB and moved on with our lives

either way, I only hear people complain on slap. I think everybody under the age of 30 doesn't give a shit about the Berrics
[close]

I don't know anyone IRL who gives a shit about BATB.
[close]

Wow, now I regret that I asked.
Sounds like really good time at the Berrics nowadays.
Steve still trying to be relevant with all means necessary. So they want our money in the app to watch the finals? Can't say I am surprised by any of this ^^
To be fair, the app is just like most other apps in that it is "free" and it is implied that they will definitely take any kind of data you give them and sell it to whomever is buying. Standard smart phone era terms and conditions.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #871 on: May 03, 2022, 12:16:35 PM »
Chloe Sevigny for SOTY 2022

nothing's been the since same

ilan2011

• Rep: -16
« Reply #872 on: May 03, 2022, 12:45:22 PM »
There's nothing wrong with calling transition skating "tranny."

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #873 on: May 03, 2022, 12:57:40 PM »

I don't think that's so unpopular, but it's just nicer not to use it.
A more fun alternative is calling any transition "vert" and making everybody lose their shit about it.

Magnolia

• Rep: 412
  • She/They
« Reply #874 on: May 03, 2022, 12:58:26 PM »
This a popular but stupid opinion lol
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #875 on: May 03, 2022, 03:45:13 PM »

imagine being such a slack jawed moron as to think this passes as clever or funny

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #876 on: May 03, 2022, 04:20:21 PM »
A more fun alternative is calling any transition "vert" and making everybody lose their shit about it.

If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #877 on: May 03, 2022, 09:42:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

imagine being such a slack jawed moron as to think this passes as clever or funny

No one asked me for my opinion but I don't believe OP was going for clever or funny, just honest. If they were, color me corrected!

So many people still call transition "tranny" out of habit from what they learned when they were younger. Is it a stupid opinion to believe what OP offered? No. Is it distasteful to not be as conscious with terminology nowadays? Yeah.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #878 on: May 04, 2022, 05:29:31 AM »
Russia is right in Ukraine

Uh oh boys we got a free thinker!

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #879 on: May 04, 2022, 10:54:01 AM »
I kinda thought 7.5s would be back in by now.

What's the hold up ?

boogs

« Reply #880 on: May 04, 2022, 11:20:11 AM »
Shapes

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #881 on: May 04, 2022, 11:39:46 AM »
Shapes
I’m just here to provide context to the original post.  8)

It’s all about the shapes!

robocop

• Rep: 6
« Reply #882 on: May 04, 2022, 12:50:15 PM »

What's the hold up ?

I was all about 7.625s

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #883 on: May 04, 2022, 03:19:33 PM »
Russia is right in Ukraine

This thread is for unpopular opinions, not straight up false information. Dumbass.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

switchfakie

« Reply #884 on: May 04, 2022, 09:43:16 PM »
Expand Quote

What's the hold up ?
[close]

I was all about 7.625s

i thought 9.0s would be the shit right about now. still surprised most people are between 8.25-8.75 still

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1138
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #885 on: May 04, 2022, 10:48:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i mean it’s really not even mean. we’re talking about the inanimate objects we’re skating, there’s nothing offensive about it. if that’s the case ‘transition’ is also offensive and we shouldn’t be skating on it.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #886 on: May 05, 2022, 03:08:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
i mean it’s really not even mean. we’re talking about the inanimate objects we’re skating, there’s nothing offensive about it. if that’s the case ‘transition’ is also offensive and we shouldn’t be skating on it.

Imagine a certain skate trick/obstacle would for some reason sound really similar to a racial slur, would it be ok to still use it?
It wouldn't be mean at all, you're just naming something, not even a person. But still, just don't, because it's better not to. That's my reasoning.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #887 on: May 05, 2022, 05:17:16 AM »
anyone who is hate watching, hate posting about, or hate engaging in any way with BATB12/the BATB12 thread is ultimately contributing to its success, regardless of how much you criticize it

So what? I don't think anyone criticising it cares if it still does well. It's given us something to talk about.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #888 on: May 05, 2022, 05:22:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Imagine a certain skate trick/obstacle would for some reason sound really similar to a racial slur, would it be ok to still use it?
It wouldn't be mean at all, you're just naming something, not even a person. But still, just don't, because it's better not to. That's my reasoning.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #889 on: May 05, 2022, 10:25:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

in what way shape or form would an obstacle even be able to be shortened to a racial slur? tranny in skateboarding is transition short, obviously. when in the literal fuck would or could any obstacle be shortened to anything racial? my whole life i’ve referred to transition as tranny and  not once did it ever cross my mind that it was homophobic or offensive. “but that’s just you, you can’t speak for everyone” okay i’m pretty sure no one else did either until the whole push for accepting any and everything (which is awesome) but that lead to finding problems where there are none which has lead us to  being offended by someone calling transition tranny. stop taking nothing and making it something

and while i’m at it, if it’s that offensive, then once again let’s stop skating transition and/or just call them ramps so people that are transitioning aren’t offended and those that aren’t don’t cry a fucking river and can stop trying to make their cape shown.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #890 on: May 05, 2022, 10:35:14 PM »
Has that one fakie transition trick with the onomatopoeia name been renamed yet?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1278
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #891 on: May 05, 2022, 11:52:47 PM »
Has that one fakie transition trick with the onomatopoeia name been renamed yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDgOOUU1iU8
Pat Duffy does also say Fakie Nose Pick Fakie in this video from 2012 so like probably? Half cab Nose Pick?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #892 on: May 06, 2022, 12:12:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDgOOUU1iU8
Pat Duffy does also say Fakie Nose Pick Fakie in this video from 2012 so like probably? Half cab Nose Pick?
Hmmm obvs I'm not the boss but I don't like fakie nose pick fakie. I'm from the nose pick means grab school of naming tricks. Fakie nose pivot could work. I do like silly trick names tho is clink-clink passable? Still gets to use the onomatopoeia or clunk-clunk, bunk-bunk, something like that.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2157
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #893 on: May 06, 2022, 01:28:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
in what way shape or form would an obstacle even be able to be shortened to a racial slur? tranny in skateboarding is transition short, obviously. when in the literal fuck would or could any obstacle be shortened to anything racial? my whole life i’ve referred to transition as tranny and  not once did it ever cross my mind that it was homophobic or offensive. “but that’s just you, you can’t speak for everyone” okay i’m pretty sure no one else did either until the whole push for accepting any and everything (which is awesome) but that lead to finding problems where there are none which has lead us to  being offended by someone calling transition tranny. stop taking nothing and making it something

and while i’m at it, if it’s that offensive, then once again let’s stop skating transition and/or just call them ramps so people that are transitioning aren’t offended and those that aren’t don’t cry a fucking river and can stop trying to make their cape shown.
Real question, though: somebody tells you that you’re doing a thing that makes them feel shitty.
Do you a.) disregard their feelings, or b.) make a minor adjustment in order to not trample their feelers?
In the case in question, you could literally add A (single) syllable to your usual vernacular, and the matter is resolved.
I suspect you are a well intentioned person. Perhaps I can appeal to your sense of reason and ask that you recognize that what was fine yesterday, may not be all wine & roses today, and by simply acknowledging that the world around us evolves, and so too can we, and by simply saying transition instead of using a word that has a historical precedent of being weaponized in acts of violence against members of OUR OWN COMMUNITY (you DO skate, so it’s YOUR community too) you can be an effective agent of positive change.
That’s a really long winded way of saying, “It’s really not that difficult: you can do it, I have faith in you.”
One more syllable. That’s what you’re arguing over.
Seems kinda silly when you think of it like that.
Feel me?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #894 on: May 06, 2022, 05:06:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

'Transition' isn't a derogatory word. Tranny is. Come on dude this shit is easy. You sound like you're purposely trying to not understand what people are saying.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

somefucker

« Reply #895 on: May 06, 2022, 05:15:27 AM »
tran, transition, quarter are all acceptable

dumb argument

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #896 on: May 06, 2022, 08:26:33 AM »
i skate ramp

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #897 on: May 06, 2022, 08:31:29 AM »
also one last time, i was drunk and trying to take power from a word. i know right from wrong and what words are offensive and not to use them. obviously i wouldn’t say it around anyone that would take offense to it (not that it would be in a derogatory manner), i’m not sexist, homophobic, transphobic, etc etc. i was on a drunken rant trying to make a point.

somefucker

« Reply #898 on: May 06, 2022, 09:28:00 AM »
also one last time, i was drunk and trying to take power from a word. i know right from wrong and what words are offensive and not to use them. obviously i wouldn’t say it around anyone that would take offense to it (not that it would be in a derogatory manner), i’m not sexist, homophobic, transphobic, etc etc. i was on a drunken rant trying to make a point.

confucious say - drunk words are sober thoughts...

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #899 on: May 06, 2022, 01:44:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

confucious say - drunk words are sober thoughts...
yeah my opinion hasn’t changed, i explained (or tried to) what it was i was trying to do/say.