Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 183764 times)

skate_or_dingus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #900 on: May 06, 2022, 02:04:46 PM »
 Okay but at the very least saying "tranny" is stupid in the same way that saying "footy" or "totes" is.

Yu Dum

« Reply #901 on: May 06, 2022, 02:06:05 PM »
also one last time, i was drunk and trying to take power from a word. i know right from wrong and what words are offensive and not to use them. obviously i wouldn’t say it around anyone that would take offense to it (not that it would be in a derogatory manner), i’m not sexist, homophobic, transphobic, etc etc. i was on a drunken rant trying to make a point.
So, you know not to say it if someone would be hurt by the word, but you'll say it if you feel safe enough to? That's the same shit that the racist rednecks who come into my store do. They look around the room to make sure that whatever slur they're about to say won't get them into some kind of trouble; not just because they're afraid of the consequences, but because they're fucking cowards and know that what they're saying isn't accepted or appropriate.
TL;DR: you're a fucking coward and an idiot.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1132
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #902 on: May 06, 2022, 02:10:39 PM »
oh my god i’m not fucking racist i’m not homophobic i’m not transphobic

Magnolia

• Rep: 412
  • She/They
« Reply #903 on: May 06, 2022, 02:24:36 PM »
Weird that you have to keep saying this lmao
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

doublesteveburger

« Reply #904 on: May 06, 2022, 02:39:22 PM »

don't you dare take the lord's name in vain this is a house of worship you fucking twat

cky enthusiast

« Reply #905 on: May 06, 2022, 02:39:43 PM »

classic

Brguy

« Reply #906 on: May 06, 2022, 05:11:24 PM »
I kinda thought 7.5s would be back in by now.

What's the hold up ?
They suck.

Brguy

« Reply #907 on: May 06, 2022, 05:29:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
There's nothing wrong with calling transition skating "tranny."
[close]

I don't think that's so unpopular, but it's just nicer not to use it.
A more fun alternative is calling any transition "vert" and making everybody lose their shit about it.
[close]
i mean it’s really not even mean. we’re talking about the inanimate objects we’re skating, there’s nothing offensive about it. if that’s the case ‘transition’ is also offensive and we shouldn’t be skating on it.
[close]

Imagine a certain skate trick/obstacle would for some reason sound really similar to a racial slur, would it be ok to still use it?
It wouldn't be mean at all, you're just naming something, not even a person. But still, just don't, because it's better not to. That's my reasoning.
[close]
in what way shape or form would an obstacle even be able to be shortened to a racial slur? tranny in skateboarding is transition short, obviously. when in the literal fuck would or could any obstacle be shortened to anything racial? my whole life i’ve referred to transition as tranny and  not once did it ever cross my mind that it was homophobic or offensive. “but that’s just you, you can’t speak for everyone” okay i’m pretty sure no one else did either until the whole push for accepting any and everything (which is awesome) but that lead to finding problems where there are none which has lead us to  being offended by someone calling transition tranny. stop taking nothing and making it something

and while i’m at it, if it’s that offensive, then once again let’s stop skating transition and/or just call them ramps so people that are transitioning aren’t offended and those that aren’t don’t cry a fucking river and can stop trying to make their cape shown.
[close]
Real question, though: somebody tells you that you’re doing a thing that makes them feel shitty.
Do you a.) disregard their feelings, or b.) make a minor adjustment in order to not trample their feelers?
In the case in question, you could literally add A (single) syllable to your usual vernacular, and the matter is resolved.
I suspect you are a well intentioned person. Perhaps I can appeal to your sense of reason and ask that you recognize that what was fine yesterday, may not be all wine & roses today, and by simply acknowledging that the world around us evolves, and so too can we, and by simply saying transition instead of using a word that has a historical precedent of being weaponized in acts of violence against members of OUR OWN COMMUNITY (you DO skate, so it’s YOUR community too) you can be an effective agent of positive change.
That’s a really long winded way of saying, “It’s really not that difficult: you can do it, I have faith in you.”
One more syllable. That’s what you’re arguing over.
Seems kinda silly when you think of it like that.
Feel me?
You also sound well intentioned and stuff but people have different ways of thinking and that's that, just off the top of my head I can make comparisons, like you would want people to make a bit of effort to accommodate others, a good concept, some would think you shouldn't interfere with random people for selfish causes, some would think saying "tranny" isn't really a big deal (if we're honest, is it? I don't even know) and believe that if a transexual heard it they would understand the context and not care, which in my opinion would be a decent opinion too, kinda the opposite of patronizing. Also there's that thing some people do when you change something minor and then they start going all parasitic on you and it turns to huge changes in the end of the line, this isn't the case but I get why some people would go against that "accommodate others" mentality. That's a really long winded way of saying quit being passive aggressive, that "It's really not that difficult" really doesn't sit well to paint humbleness, like people can't disagree without one being 100% right and other being a misguided dumbass. Anyway we should all chill with this topic cause I read some other messages and name-calling has begun.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2153
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #908 on: May 06, 2022, 07:54:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

A more fun alternative is calling any transition "vert" and making everybody lose their shit about it.
[close]
i mean it’s really not even mean. we’re talking about the inanimate objects we’re skating, there’s nothing offensive about it. if that’s the case ‘transition’ is also offensive and we shouldn’t be skating on it.
[close]

Imagine a certain skate trick/obstacle would for some reason sound really similar to a racial slur, would it be ok to still use it?
It wouldn't be mean at all, you're just naming something, not even a person. But still, just don't, because it's better not to. That's my reasoning.
[close]
in what way shape or form would an obstacle even be able to be shortened to a racial slur? tranny in skateboarding is transition short, obviously. when in the literal fuck would or could any obstacle be shortened to anything racial? my whole life i’ve referred to transition as tranny and  not once did it ever cross my mind that it was homophobic or offensive. “but that’s just you, you can’t speak for everyone” okay i’m pretty sure no one else did either until the whole push for accepting any and everything (which is awesome) but that lead to finding problems where there are none which has lead us to  being offended by someone calling transition tranny. stop taking nothing and making it something

and while i’m at it, if it’s that offensive, then once again let’s stop skating transition and/or just call them ramps so people that are transitioning aren’t offended and those that aren’t don’t cry a fucking river and can stop trying to make their cape shown.
[close]
Real question, though: somebody tells you that you’re doing a thing that makes them feel shitty.
Do you a.) disregard their feelings, or b.) make a minor adjustment in order to not trample their feelers?
In the case in question, you could literally add A (single) syllable to your usual vernacular, and the matter is resolved.
I suspect you are a well intentioned person. Perhaps I can appeal to your sense of reason and ask that you recognize that what was fine yesterday, may not be all wine & roses today, and by simply acknowledging that the world around us evolves, and so too can we, and by simply saying transition instead of using a word that has a historical precedent of being weaponized in acts of violence against members of OUR OWN COMMUNITY (you DO skate, so it’s YOUR community too) you can be an effective agent of positive change.
That’s a really long winded way of saying, “It’s really not that difficult: you can do it, I have faith in you.”
Feel me?
[close]
You also sound well intentioned and stuff but people have different ways of thinking and that's that, just off the top of my head I can make comparisons, like you would want people to make a bit of effort to accommodate others, a good concept, some would think you shouldn't interfere with random people for selfish causes, some would think saying "tranny" isn't really a big deal (if we're honest, is it? I don't even know) and believe that if a transexual heard it they would understand the context and not care, which in my opinion would be a decent opinion too, kinda the opposite of patronizing. Also there's that thing some people do when you change something minor and then they start going all parasitic on you and it turns to huge changes in the end of the line, this isn't the case but I get why some people would go against that "accommodate others" mentality. That's a really long winded way of saying quit being passive aggressive, that "It's really not that difficult" really doesn't sit well to paint humbleness, like people can't disagree without one being 100% right and other being a misguided dumbass. Anyway we should all chill with this topic cause I read some other messages and name-calling has begun.
Tell you what we can do to put your query to rest: let’s simply ASK any of our transgendered users how they feel about the term.
No need to take it from me, let’s go to the source.
Anybody wanna field that question?

And then, you too can be free to decide, like everybody else, if you adapt your lingo or not.
Making a defense based on the difficulty of “accommodating” others by adding a syllable still sounds a little silly to me.
This from somebody who still used the term tranny up until about 5 years ago when a trans friend pointed out that it was problematic for them.
The call is still on all of us.
You make the world you want to live in, and I’ll be over here working on mine.

Edited for typos.
My sorry.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 12:21:58 PM by Lou Strux »

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #909 on: May 06, 2022, 09:29:40 PM »
read: "unpopular opinion thread"

(funny you are all arguing in this particular thread)

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #910 on: May 07, 2022, 12:58:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

don't you dare take the lord's name in vain this is a house of worship you fucking twat

also classic, but in a good sense.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #911 on: May 07, 2022, 01:22:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

also classic, but in a good sense.
God's name isn't god! (The standard kid comeback to being told not to take the Lord's name in vain)

Brguy

« Reply #912 on: May 07, 2022, 11:58:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
Feel me?
[close]
[close]
Tell you what we can do to put your query to rest: let’s simply ASK any of sour transgendered users how they feel about the term.

And then, you too can be free to decide, like everybody else, if you adapt your lingo or not.
Making a defense based on the difficulty of “accommodating” others by adding a syllable still sounds a little silly to me.
This from somebody who still used the term tranny up until about 5 years ago when a trans friend pointed out that it was problematic for them.
Way to totally miss the point. I don't care about tranny, I'm just saying you're trying to play peace corps here without having any appeasing skills, you can't try to defend something while being passive aggressive about it, it's not that it's even wrong or anything, it just doesn't work unless the other person already agrees with you.

And I actually would like transsexual people came up and talked about it, skaters that is. This whole thing just sounds more like an overblown "problem" than something really affecting people's feelings.

texascybergothic

• Rep: 80
« Reply #913 on: May 07, 2022, 12:19:18 PM »
Transgender skateboarder checking in here. Please just say transition. It doesn't necessarily "offend" me to hear transition called tranny, but look at it this way, a skatepark is not the most welcoming place in the world for transgender people, the world barely welcomes us anywhere after all. We get the slur "tranny" thrown at us all the time in the streets by people who either want to tear us down mentally or physically. In a loud skatepark environment, do you really think us hearing the word tranny thrown around makes us feel more welcome? It does not and in fact, when you can only make out fragments of a conversation and part of it includes the word tranny, it can make us feel a lot less safe.

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #914 on: May 07, 2022, 12:39:21 PM »
Transgender skateboarder checking in here. Please just say transition. It doesn't necessarily "offend" me to hear transition called tranny, but look at it this way, a skatepark is not the most welcoming place in the world for transgender people, the world barely welcomes us anywhere after all. We get the slur "tranny" thrown at us all the time in the streets by people who either want to tear us down mentally or physically. In a loud skatepark environment, do you really think us hearing the word tranny thrown around makes us feel more welcome? It does not and in fact, when you can only make out fragments of a conversation and part of it includes the word tranny, it can make us feel a lot less safe.

Word

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #915 on: May 07, 2022, 12:49:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
Feel me?
[close]
[close]
Tell you what we can do to put your query to rest: let’s simply ASK any of sour transgendered users how they feel about the term.

[close]
Way to totally miss the point. I don't care about tranny, I'm just saying you're trying to play peace corps here without having any appeasing skills, you can't try to defend something while being passive aggressive about it, it's not that it's even wrong or anything, it just doesn't work unless the other person already agrees with you.

And I actually would like transsexual people came up and talked about it, skaters that is. This whole thing just sounds more like an overblown "problem" than something really affecting people's feelings.
So I’m being passive/aggressive by appealing to people’s humanity, am I?
Or was it the part where I suggested that adjusting one’s phraseology slightly might improve the lives/experiences of people we share space with?
Maybe I am. I dunno.
Feels to me like the issue may be on the receiving end, rather than the the transmission itself.
I know, I know… THAT’s probably being passive/aggressive too, amiright?!?

But here, in case you missed it…
Also, your fear of a backslide into a more compassionate, accepting version of humanity taking place once we stop using a certain word comes across as both drastic & fearful.
Your turn.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

FrankRizzo

• Rep: 10
« Reply #916 on: May 07, 2022, 12:56:49 PM »
I believe laws do not exist . A point making my case is the fact many people/corporations acting through government wright laws with zero intention to ever follow them (the goal is to knock out competition and or subjugate).

My life's experience has lead me to believe there is only one true unwritten law, the Law of Consequences (which has us following some of the written laws).

It seems to me most written laws shift/lessen/intensify natural consequences and weaken the populace due to missing out on the potential gains in character/knowledge/wealth that come from handling their own affairs.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #917 on: May 07, 2022, 01:05:31 PM »
I believe laws do not exist . A point making my case is the fact many people/corporations acting through government wright laws with zero intention to ever follow them (the goal is to knock out competition and or subjugate).

My life's experience has lead me to believe there is only one true unwritten law, the Law of Consequences (which has us following some of the written laws).

It seems to me most written laws shift/lessen/intensify natural consequences and weaken the populace due to missing out on the potential gains in character/knowledge/wealth that come from handling their own affairs.

What if C A T really spelled "dog"?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #918 on: May 07, 2022, 01:07:14 PM »

It seems to me most written laws shift/lessen/intensify natural consequences and weaken the populace from handling their own affairs.
Interesting think.
And you’re def not wrong about WHY laws are created (for the most part, anyway.)
But I wonder if we could make room for another “true” law on your your list.
Talkin’ ‘bout the law of gravity, course.
I keep trying to ignore, or disregard it, but then I’m promptly sent straight back to your 1st true law… consequences.

FrankRizzo

« Reply #919 on: May 07, 2022, 01:11:24 PM »

If there is an inside joke or I misspelled something I missed it.

Language is rather fluid. The meaning of many words have shifted in my 40+ years which is being discussed above by others.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 01:18:26 PM by FrankRizzo »

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #920 on: May 07, 2022, 01:15:28 PM »
the thing about words like "tranny" and "chink chink" is that it doesn't matter how you intend its use because its the ambiguity/ambivalence of the term itself that makes it a weapon. if you hear it spoken you always have to unknot the intentions of the person who said it. the person who says it is basically shoving onto you the burden of "letting it slide" which you basically have to do otherwise you're accused of being too sensitive, or worse, accusing them of racism, transphobia, etc. By using these words you're basically begging people to take you in good faith so you can harvest the ego affirmation that says "see i'm not racist. I can say these words and people know what I mean." So by saying these kinds of words you're just insisting on exercising a petty form of power that draws people into stupid little psychological games that ultimately end in them having to credit you with good intentions/not being a bigot.

FrankRizzo

« Reply #921 on: May 07, 2022, 01:15:40 PM »
Interesting think.
And you’re def not wrong about WHY laws are created (for the most part, anyway.)
But I wonder if we could make room for another “true” law on your your list.
Talkin’ ‘bout the law of gravity, course.
I keep trying to ignore, or disregard it, but then I’m promptly sent straight back to your 1st true law… consequences.

The consequence of going up is coming down. However even that law can be bent or broken.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #922 on: May 07, 2022, 01:18:58 PM »
the thing about words like "tranny" and "chink chink" is that it doesn't matter how you intend its use because its the ambiguity/ambivalence of the term itself that makes it a weapon. if you hear it spoken you always have to unknot the intentions of the person who said it. the person who says it is basically shoving onto you the burden of "letting it slide" which you basically have to do otherwise you're accused of being too sensitive, or worse, accusing them of racism, transphobia, etc. By using these words you're basically begging people to take you in good faith so you can harvest the ego affirmation that says "see i'm not racist. I can say these words and people know what I mean." So by saying these kinds of words you're just insisting on exercising a petty form of power that draws people into stupid little psychological games that ultimately end in them having to credit you with good intentions/not being a bigot.
And BANG, there it is.
Better than I ever could have said it myself.
Thank you.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #923 on: May 07, 2022, 02:15:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
Feel me?
[close]
[close]

[close]

You seem to have an attitude that I see in people so often, where they always claim they're on the side of minorities and want to act in their interest, but they have to be absolutely sure that they're not appeasing "SJW" types in the process, or suddenly they don't want to act considerately any more. The whole concept of woke and SJW people (in the derogatory sense) is sooo overblown, but it's brought up so insanely often because they're constantly weaponised as a convenient excuse for people to carry on with their shitty behaviours. Like if people can convince themselves that they're only being called out in bad faith, then they can just ignore the criticisims levelled at them.

This is brilliantly put. I hope to memorise it and claim your thoughts as my own in a pub one day because I couldn't articulate it that well.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #924 on: May 07, 2022, 03:03:51 PM »

Expand Quote
[close]

This is brilliantly put. I hope to memorise it and claim your thoughts as my own in a pub one day because I couldn't articulate it that well.

please do

cky enthusiast

« Reply #925 on: May 07, 2022, 05:33:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If there is an inside joke or I misspelled something I missed it.

Language is rather fluid. The meaning of many words have shifted in my 40+ years which is being discussed above by others.

hate your username!! glad he’s dead

CanadianBacon

• Rep: -70
« Reply #926 on: May 07, 2022, 05:55:47 PM »

I focused that word thanks to Slap.   

switchfakie

« Reply #927 on: May 07, 2022, 06:29:00 PM »
pro skaters are cool and all, but the dude who pulls up to the park after a 9 hour shift and can kickflip back smith immediately after warming up is infinitely cooler.

getting paid to skate just seems ingenuine if you're not being productive wrt putting out street parts. nowadays it seems like there are so many unproductive skaters getting paid for nothing except their gram clips over street parts. thats so fucking lame, imagine looking back at your life and all you can see are a series of ~10 seconds clips on a defunct website

theres too many overly technical skate videos putting out nowadays. who the fuck is consuming this shit? i'd say the majority of people i know can only kicky back 50 in to shit and kicky/nollie flip out of most ledge tricks. based on that, id assume that most people CANT differentiate the difficulty level between different flip in/flip out tricks. given that, i could care less about your fakie tre to switch back crook. just give me good style and at max kickflip into tricks. i'd rather see you hold a back smith on a 20 foot ledge than kickflip backsmith just the end of it

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #928 on: May 07, 2022, 06:45:31 PM »
pro skaters are cool and all, but the dude who pulls up to the park after a 9 hour shift and can kickflip back smith immediately after warming up is infinitely cooler.

getting paid to skate just seems ingenuine if you're not being productive wrt putting out street parts. nowadays it seems like there are so many unproductive skaters getting paid for nothing except their gram clips over street parts. thats so fucking lame, imagine looking back at your life and all you can see are a series of ~10 seconds clips on a defunct website

theres too many overly technical skate videos putting out nowadays. who the fuck is consuming this shit? i'd say the majority of people i know can only kicky back 50 in to shit and kicky/nollie flip out of most ledge tricks. based on that, id assume that most people CANT differentiate the difficulty level between different flip in/flip out tricks. given that, i could care less about your fakie tre to switch back crook. just give me good style and at max kickflip into tricks. i'd rather see you hold a back smith on a 20 foot ledge than kickflip backsmith just the end of it
Surprised to find myself saying as much, but I’m kinda w/ you on this.

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #929 on: May 07, 2022, 07:03:02 PM »

Lucky for you, Julien Stranger founded a skateboard brand nearly 30 years ago that caters exclusively to the 9-hour-working back smither who can't make sense of ledge skating. All you have to do is crack a beer, cook a piece of meat on an internal component of your vehicle that gets particularly hot, and enjoy!