Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 184322 times)

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
  • What, me worry?
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1020 on: May 30, 2022, 02:21:43 PM »
Nyjahs fits are so bad that I actually like Them now. Monster trucker hat with a halfro, a Nike poncho, and short shorts? Yeah man, I respect that.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 711
« Reply #1021 on: May 30, 2022, 05:09:17 PM »
Nyjahs fits are so bad that I actually like Them now. Monster trucker hat with a halfro, a Nike poncho, and short shorts? Yeah man, I respect that.

Nyjah’s basically become a meme of himself at this point, kind of like Andy Anderson.   

jgonzalez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 758
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #1022 on: June 01, 2022, 03:26:11 PM »

nothing's been the since same

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -220
« Reply #1023 on: June 01, 2022, 05:58:45 PM »
as a whole Australia has produced better skaters than Canada or the United Kingdom

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1024 on: June 01, 2022, 06:14:40 PM »
as a whole Australia has produced better skaters than Canada or the United Kingdom
as an australian skater i agree
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1025 on: June 01, 2022, 06:31:32 PM »

I would hope so. Australia is skateable year round. Canada is snowed in half the year, and UK is a crusty rainy mess year round.

Australia would have to be pretty bad at skating for them to not be better with such a massive advantage.

There is a reason why most of the best US skateboarders come from California and not the snowy midwest.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
« Reply #1026 on: June 01, 2022, 06:43:10 PM »
Thrasher should stop doing soty.

It's turned into people actively trying to "win" skateboarding, which is about the farthest thing from what the mag is supposedly about.

Either stop doing it, or start giving it to people not trying to win it.

The way soty is right now, it just encourages the trainer/competition mentality that is on the rise all around us.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #1027 on: June 01, 2022, 06:44:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I would hope so. Australia is skateable year round. Canada is snowed in half the year, and UK is a crusty rainy mess year round.

Australia would have to be pretty bad at skating for them to not be better with such a massive advantage.

There is a reason why most of the best US skateboarders come from California and not the snowy midwest.
Everything costs twice as much. Fun fact it also rains a lot in Aus. You can walk to the us from Canada you'd have to be pretty lazy to not be better at skating with such a massive advantage.....

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
« Reply #1028 on: June 01, 2022, 06:54:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Everything costs twice as much. Fun fact it also rains a lot in Aus. You can walk to the us from Canada you'd have to be pretty lazy to not be better at skating with such a massive advantage.....

i myself grew up a measly thirteen hour drive north of the big apple, i'm basically a native new yorker!   ;)

Resident Jeff

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1029 on: June 01, 2022, 08:12:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Have you ever been to Australia?
Reschs Refreshes

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #1030 on: June 01, 2022, 08:37:29 PM »
whilst the weather is pretty ok most of the year in Australia, i kind of don't skate in summer - it's too hot. as others said, it does rain a lot too. where i am it has rained almost all year so far.

beyond that, there really aren't that many spots - the architecture of australia as a whole is pretty gross. plenty of skateparks i guess...

we have a bunch of great skaters - many more of late, but also a hell of a lot of mediocre to bad sponsored/"pro" skaters.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #1031 on: June 02, 2022, 12:22:49 AM »
whilst the weather is pretty ok most of the year in Australia, i kind of don't skate in summer - it's too hot. as others said, it does rain a lot too. where i am it has rained almost all year so far.

beyond that, there really aren't that many spots - the architecture of australia as a whole is pretty gross. plenty of skateparks i guess...

we have a bunch of great skaters - many more of late, but also a hell of a lot of mediocre to bad sponsored/"pro" skaters.

It rains nowhere near as much as uk or Ireland. Even when it does it's nice rain. It's not even comparable.

The UK/IE is downright fucking miserable 8 months of the year and during the winter it's so depressing it's hard to get out of bed.

I've lived in all 3.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #1032 on: June 02, 2022, 12:39:14 AM »
At least in the UK/Ireland etc. they understand the concept of insulation and heating. If you aren't privileged enough to have central heating Australian winters on the south east are rough

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1033 on: June 02, 2022, 01:01:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It rains nowhere near as much as uk or Ireland. Even when it does it's nice rain. It's not even comparable.

The UK/IE is downright fucking miserable 8 months of the year and during the winter it's so depressing it's hard to get out of bed.

I've lived in all 3.
Just fly to Spain then. You're right it's just nice rain here. hasn't been an entire year of constant rain with major flooding in a lot of areas. Hey at least the flooding might help us against the 6-9 months of bushfires

Jonny7.5Alive

« Reply #1034 on: June 02, 2022, 01:04:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I've lived in all 3.
[close]
Just fly to Spain then. You're right it's just nice rain here. hasn't been an entire year of constant rain with major flooding in a lot of areas. Hey at least the flooding might help us against the 6-9 months of bushfires

I live in Barcelona don't worry. Going to skate El Born plaza in half an hour.

The bushfires are an awful thing I agree. I'm talking about weather for skating.

I could name numerous floods that happen in England or Ireland every year but they are besides the point.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1035 on: June 02, 2022, 01:30:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I've lived in all 3.
[close]
[close]

The bushfires are an awful thing I agree. I'm talking about weather for skating.

I could name numerous floods that happen in England or Ireland every year but they are besides the point.
Lol that's pretty cool. In case it hadn't been clear my comments aren't fully serious (the word banter is in the name of the forum) but people say Australia just like it's Huntington beach or something not a country bigger than Europe with a full range of shit going on. Oh but bushfires definatly are weather that affects skating where I live.

Jonny7.5Alive

« Reply #1036 on: June 02, 2022, 01:39:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I've lived in all 3.
[close]
[close]

[close]
Lol that's pretty cool. In case it hadn't been clear my comments aren't fully serious (the word banter is in the name of the forum) but people say Australia just like it's Huntington beach or something not a country bigger than Europe with a full range of shit going on. Oh but bushfires definatly are weather that affects skating where I live.

Ah I gotcha buddy I know what you mean.

I tried skating when up in Darwin during wet season. Must have lost half my body weight in sweat.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #1037 on: June 02, 2022, 01:48:57 AM »
skating darwin is an experience for sure! i almost passed out from the heat just trying to roll back to where i was staying after a light session one afternoon, it was pretty full on.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

truthislie

• Rep: 55
« Reply #1038 on: June 02, 2022, 12:18:07 PM »
Not an unpopular opinion, more of a thought:
If Pontus sold Polar right now he d probably be a rich man. If he keeps it until the pants trend changes, I m not so sure. Not that I want him to do it but at some point krew denim used to be a money printing company.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1039 on: June 02, 2022, 01:26:10 PM »
Larry June sucks and sounds like he just had a tooth pulled and his cheeks are still numb.

work_lurker

• Rep: 67
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #1040 on: June 02, 2022, 01:39:22 PM »
Thrasher has only ever been maybe 4/9ths as good as Transworld was.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

Sid Farkus - Bra Salesman

• Rep: 30
« Reply #1041 on: June 02, 2022, 01:43:23 PM »
stop doing nollie heel/kick out of slides if you're not going to pop out above the ledge
Free Charlie Rambo

FuzzGNU

« Reply #1042 on: June 02, 2022, 03:15:21 PM »

I never got a chance to read it, but I would love to hear more.

What all made Transworld so great in your eyes?

Anti waxxer

• Rep: -12
« Reply #1043 on: June 02, 2022, 03:19:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

400 pages, great photos, interviews and trip recaps that were more than just “so you like kickflips weed and hot chicks? Sick dude” I much preferred it over thrasher back in late 90s early 2000s but was also weirdly in love with how fucked up big brother was.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1044 on: June 02, 2022, 03:38:45 PM »
transworld roasted thrasher when it was around

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1577
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1045 on: June 02, 2022, 06:15:13 PM »
Thrasher is the bible….case closed…

FuzzGNU

« Reply #1046 on: June 03, 2022, 01:56:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

400 pages, great photos, interviews and trip recaps that were more than just “so you like kickflips weed and hot chicks? Sick dude” I much preferred it over thrasher back in late 90s early 2000s but was also weirdly in love with how fucked up big brother was.

How would you compare Skateboard Mag to all of them? That was often the only one I could get my hands on back in the day for some odd reason.

Also, what was Slap's identity? I never even saw one on a shelf around where I was.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1047 on: June 03, 2022, 03:18:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

How would you compare Skateboard Mag to all of them? That was often the only one I could get my hands on back in the day for some odd reason.

Also, what was Slap's identity? I never even saw one on a shelf around where I was.
Transworld was definatly better than thrasher but was pretty expensive at the time (altho they all were) and about a hundred of the pages weren't skate stuff. Personally I liked skateboarder the most then skateboard mag altho I think skateboard mag only started in 05 and was also very expensive.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 767
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1048 on: June 03, 2022, 03:28:33 AM »
4/9ths definitely an unpopular scale of measurement

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #1049 on: June 03, 2022, 04:21:29 AM »
Transworld just had more purely skate related content whereas Thrasher was more of a lifestyle thing.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro