Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 183751 times)

fulltechnicalskizzy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1050 on: June 03, 2022, 06:22:10 AM »
slap would be like a photo of a dirty wheel captioned “skateboarding is an act of political rebellion” and id be like sick im 12

Magnolia

• Rep: 412
  • She/They
« Reply #1051 on: June 03, 2022, 07:23:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thrasher has only ever been maybe 4/9ths as good as Transworld was.
[close]

I never got a chance to read it, but I would love to hear more.

What all made Transworld so great in your eyes?
[close]

400 pages, great photos, interviews and trip recaps that were more than just “so you like kickflips weed and hot chicks? Sick dude” I much preferred it over thrasher back in late 90s early 2000s but was also weirdly in love with how fucked up big brother was.
[close]

How would you compare Skateboard Mag to all of them? That was often the only one I could get my hands on back in the day for some odd reason.

Also, what was Slap's identity? I never even saw one on a shelf around where I was.
[close]
Transworld was definatly better than thrasher but was pretty expensive at the time (altho they all were) and about a hundred of the pages weren't skate stuff. Personally I liked skateboarder the most then skateboard mag altho I think skateboard mag only started in 05 and was also very expensive.
Skateboard mag was great, I loved the wider format for photos. I think they were published every other month (or maybe quarterly) so it felt very polished. I still remember getting my first Transworld for my 12th birthday, I must have cut out every picture to put on my bedroom walls.
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1052 on: June 03, 2022, 07:29:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

400 pages, great photos, interviews and trip recaps that were more than just “so you like kickflips weed and hot chicks? Sick dude” I much preferred it over thrasher back in late 90s early 2000s but was also weirdly in love with how fucked up big brother was.
[close]

How would you compare Skateboard Mag to all of them? That was often the only one I could get my hands on back in the day for some odd reason.

Also, what was Slap's identity? I never even saw one on a shelf around where I was.
[close]
Transworld was definatly better than thrasher but was pretty expensive at the time (altho they all were) and about a hundred of the pages weren't skate stuff. Personally I liked skateboarder the most then skateboard mag altho I think skateboard mag only started in 05 and was also very expensive.
[close]
Skateboard mag was great, I loved the wider format for photos. I think they were published every other month (or maybe quarterly) so it felt very polished. I still remember getting my first Transworld for my 12th birthday, I must have cut out every picture to put on my bedroom walls.

Slap was so cheap back then, like $1.50. It was pretty much Thrasher lite. The photos were great.

It was also the first skate mag to have a scented cologne ad (cK One). I had the issue with that ad in ‘95.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #1053 on: June 03, 2022, 07:55:20 AM »
Thrasher is the bible….case closed…
That’s the fuckin’ problem. We need the Quran or the Tao Te Ching.

Magnolia

• Rep: 412
  • She/They
« Reply #1054 on: June 03, 2022, 08:00:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Which mag is dianetics? Is there a skate book of mormon?
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1055 on: June 03, 2022, 08:08:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Not a lot of skaters wore Thrasher gear after 1994. It was pretty kitschy to do so at that point.

‘95 was when Transworld really picked it up content-wise with the videos and interviews.

Big Brother had amazing content. The Yellow and Black issues especially.

work_lurker

• Rep: 61
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #1056 on: June 03, 2022, 08:16:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Las Calles Son Nuestras was always a thought-provoking, hype-inducing little smidgen at the end of each mag. Overall, TW just had better content matter, and better written articles.

I always thought Jackass was unsettling, and how much I would have hated to be friends with Bam back in the day. Thrasher was like the equivalent of being friends with Bam Margera. You think you’re going to see some sick shit, and turns out the article is just clowning on people like you. You’d become self-conscious of everything you do, and try your hardest to become unnoticeable so nobody called you out and and kicked you in the nuts.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1057 on: June 03, 2022, 08:21:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

Not a lot of skaters wore Thrasher gear after 1994. It was pretty kitschy to do so at that point.

‘95 was when Transworld really picked it up content-wise with the videos and interviews.

Big Brother had amazing content. The Yellow and Black issues especially.

For the record, Thrasher was the purveyor of all the cringeworthy 90’s stereotypes everyone on here laments.

I’d say Thrasher is the Necronomicon of skate magazines.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1058 on: June 03, 2022, 08:28:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hmm I might be getting Skateboard Mag and Skateboarder confused. Such generic names haha.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

assvogel

« Reply #1059 on: June 03, 2022, 08:41:14 AM »
Let’s do some research on what was happening in the skate mags in the year 98, that I picked up at random. (Note: Big Brother wasn't included because it's Big Brother).

Cover:
Thrasher has Cardiel blasting over paint cans in the rain, pretty hesh!
SLAP:Dan doing an inverted wallride, leaning a bit on the artsy-er side, awesome. Transworld: Kareem doing a crooked grind on a picnic table, stylish as f.

Op-Ed:
Transworld: Skin talking about the Kareem pro-spotlight by Atiba, you know it’s gonna be good.
Slap: Lance tells how his favorite thing about skating is getting hyped and cheer his friends when they are ripping, with instructions how to do it, Hoot-n-Holler, smack the coping as hard as you can,  “You can never make too much noise” etc. (Funny enough, SLAP forums are generally negative about this, see: Lower Bobs contest topic etc.).
Thrasher: Angel Dust has Phelps writing about Shao’s passing. “ I loved him. …my friends are gonna be there too…” he ends it.

Regulars:
Trash, Mush and Mandatory information offers the latest industry news. Letter-section are similar, skaters, stupid questions, haters, Muska, moms etc.

Music section:
Transworld: Please kill me-book, V/A Tibetian Freedom Concert CD, V/A Major Force West CD and The Verve. No particular direction here.
SLAP: Anthrax interview, One Man Army interview, Reviews include Swinging Utters, RTCF, Rancid, Slayer, Hatebreed, DMX, Buddha Monk, Massive Breakbeats etc. Definitely on the punk-edge with some rap/hip hop content in this issue.
Thrasher: Sunny Day Real Estate article, Chubbies interview, Notes from the Underground Wez lists bands like Qotsa, The Drags, Murder City Devils, AFI, One Man Army, Rancid, and Jen has the latest on Gangstar, Mobb Debb, Guru, Cypress Hill, PE etc.

Articles:
Transworld: Kareems pro-spotlight is great and indepth. Israel Forbes spotlight has some great photos, but the actual interview is ok. Otherwise you got your regular tour articles & contest articles, and local check outs.
SLAP: No big interview in this issue, instead there’s a bunch of smaller ones with the same questions (years skating, how high can you ollie, satan or god, dream session…) with Kanten Russell, Cairo, Hewitt, Schaaf and Puleo. Good lineup of skaters, but the questions are not too interesting. Pancho wrote a THINK tour article, there’s contest stuff etc.
Thrasher: Elissa has an interview AND the full-page spread doing a kickflip bs lipslide at the spot some generation might know as “School2 from THPS2”. Sick! Then there’s Buster Halterman interview, Jake Rupp interview, Tour stuff, up and comers, Gonz story, The Butcher check out. (Thrasher actually has the most things to read despite TWS having most pages).

Photos:
There’s great and terrible photos in all three, depending on who was holding the camera. If you wanted to rip some photos to put on your wall from the mag… I’d say the Kareem photos in Transworld are the best out of these (Atiba).Slap has good ones, Thrasher too, but the 90’s layout kinda hurts some of them.

Writing: Again, it really is about who wrote the thing, all three have great articles and boring ones. Transworld is definitely more "professional" where as both Slap and Thrasher are more raw. All 3 have things that haven't aged very well though.

Ads:
All three same pretty much the same ads (this was before Transworld got needy and started to give ads for US Army and shit). For why Transworld has the most pages, their ad-department was 3-4 times bigger than Slap or Transworld. But both Thrasher and Slap started getting bigger in the late 90’s early 00’s and it’s mostly thanks to things like THPS bringing a lot more audience AND advertisers.

Honestly, all three are worth flipping through and in the time where you couldn't just scroll on your phone through endless skate content, invaluable. Of course people have their own perceptions on what was cool and what was not (I was a Thrasher kid and Transworld was whatever), but as I get older I can find more and more cool shit in these and something you can't replicate on the interweb.

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #1060 on: June 03, 2022, 08:59:20 AM »
[...]
Thrasher: Elissa has an interview AND the full-page spread doing a kickflip bs lipslide at the spot some generation might know as “School2 from THPS2”. Sick!
[...]

would you mind posting this pic?  I just re-watched her JOAB thinking it might be in there but didnt see it.

I thought school2 was an amalgamation of different socal schools?  (gonz rail and leap weren't at the same school, right?)

FuzzGNU

« Reply #1061 on: June 03, 2022, 09:04:58 AM »

Thanks! I appreciate it. Very cool comparison.

Oof. Transworld doing military advertising is unforgivable. Absolutely brutal.

We should get a magazine appreciation thread going. I'd love to hear more!

I just ordered a huge stack of new skate zines during Theories of Atlantis sale. Excited to have some fun reading material again. I'd be willing to do a similar comparison between Stoops, Grey, Solo, Free, Vague, North, Skate Jawn, Push.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 09:12:14 AM by FuzzGNU »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #1062 on: June 03, 2022, 09:05:23 AM »
For whatever reason the two places I could get skate mags from put all their magazines in shrink wrap so you couldn't flick thru before buying. It felt like half of thrasher was music stuff (transworld too but felt like less) and my teenage brain was completely off it. I can't hear the music thru a photo I just see some dickhead with a guitar was basically how I thought at the time. There were also times where I'd spend half my wage from moving bricks, roof tiles or cutting down trees, whatever shitty labouring job I had to get a thrasher only to find like half the magazine is dad cam photos of pigpen doing a melon at a skatepark.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #1063 on: June 03, 2022, 09:10:11 AM »
For whatever reason the two places I could get skate mags from put all their magazines in shrink wrap so you couldn't flick thru before buying. It felt like half of thrasher was music stuff (transworld too but felt like less) and my teenage brain was completely off it. I can't hear the music thru a photo I just see some dickhead with a guitar was basically how I thought at the time. There were also times where I'd spend half my wage from moving bricks, roof tiles or cutting down trees, whatever shitty labouring job I had to get a thrasher only to find like half the magazine is dad cam photos of pigpen doing a melon at a skatepark.

Yeah I imagine pre-Napster the music articles aren't nearly as useful. Gotta spend money just to hear if any of these random musicians are any good.

I feel very lucky to have my important music years in the Internet age.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1064 on: June 03, 2022, 09:35:51 AM »
Early Thrasher videos were horrible, early Transworld videos were not. Transworld showcased a lot more of skateboarding in a way that was accessible. It's how I often learned of older content to check out. Thrasher seemed just focused on prehistoric hellride type stuff that in the late 90's I associated more with skateparks, ramps, pools, etc.

assvogel

« Reply #1065 on: June 03, 2022, 10:05:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[...]
Thrasher: Elissa has an interview AND the full-page spread doing a kickflip bs lipslide at the spot some generation might know as “School2 from THPS2”. Sick!
[...]
[close]

would you mind posting this pic?  I just re-watched her JOAB thinking it might be in there but didnt see it.

I thought school2 was an amalgamation of different socal schools?  (gonz rail and leap weren't at the same school, right?)
Here's the sequence. Sick trick, the cast on her arm... awesome.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #1066 on: June 03, 2022, 10:17:30 AM »
as a whole Australia has produced better skaters than Canada or the United Kingdom

Canada has McCrank, but yeah, I otherwise totally agree.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #1067 on: June 03, 2022, 10:21:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVC5Gk18gqE
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #1068 on: June 03, 2022, 10:39:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[...]
[...]
[close]

[close]

honestly one of the coolest sequences ever

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #1069 on: June 03, 2022, 10:51:50 AM »
that kareem cover is so good

skateboard mag in its first format before it sized down was pretty sick actually

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
« Reply #1070 on: June 03, 2022, 10:54:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[...]
[...]
[close]

[close]

What shoes did Elissa have on in that sequence?

3D X-Ray Vision

« Reply #1071 on: June 03, 2022, 11:34:45 AM »
^That was her Etnies pro model that was made to look like a hiking boot.

'22 UO: He needs to ditch the trucker hats and just keep his hair short but Nyjah's outfits are not that bad. At least the ones he skates in, the Cocaine Cowboy Floral Print Leisure Suit stuff is whack as fuck

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #1072 on: June 03, 2022, 01:18:12 PM »
My formative years were pre-interwebz, and I lived in small town outter nowhere, so mags were vital until video started to filter in. Thatcher era thrasher was (is) my favorite, TWS pre-sellout was ok, always a bit slicker and mom friendly; less counter cultural stuff. Look, it was Thrasher and your buddies older brother’s High Times and Hustlers where you learned about the bigger, hipper world. 

3D X-Ray Vision

« Reply #1073 on: June 03, 2022, 01:26:56 PM »
When I got my first issue of Thrasher in 1992 (Cardiel SOTY Ring of Fire cover), I had been away from the US for so long that I actually could not understand a lot of the slang that was used in the mag. It took a few years of living in California to put me on to what was actually being said in the captions and articles LOL

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1074 on: June 03, 2022, 01:44:11 PM »
When I got my first issue of Thrasher in 1992 (Cardiel SOTY Ring of Fire cover), I had been away from the US for so long that I actually could not understand a lot of the slang that was used in the mag. It took a few years of living in California to put me on to what was actually being said in the captions and articles LOL

This reminds me of a Jim Greco article way back (don't remember which mag) that they included a glossary with because he had all the best "slang" that the industry was trying to make happen? Really bizarre. i only remember "Sparklers" for lights at a spot and "baraka" for....sketchy shit?

3D X-Ray Vision

« Reply #1075 on: June 03, 2022, 01:47:46 PM »
Nah, Sparkles was his nickname for Koston. I love Greco but that shit was crinnnge

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #1076 on: June 03, 2022, 01:53:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This reminds me of a Jim Greco article way back (don't remember which mag) that they included a glossary with because he had all the best "slang" that the industry was trying to make happen? Really bizarre. i only remember "Sparklers" for lights at a spot and "baraka" for....sketchy shit?

Transworld pro spotlight. It introduced "mob" as an adjective to millions of impressionable kids.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1077 on: June 03, 2022, 01:54:42 PM »
Nah, Sparkles was his nickname for Koston. I love Greco but that shit was crinnnge

Ah shit that rings a bell too. Yeah, Greco has had some fucked up eras

conqueso

« Reply #1078 on: June 03, 2022, 04:40:33 PM »
the part where greco talks about showing off his "side pipe" was rather disturbing as a youngster

3D X-Ray Vision

« Reply #1079 on: June 03, 2022, 04:52:48 PM »
The definition of side pipe was 'What your dick looks like in pants 3 sizes too small' if I remember correctly