Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 183783 times)

djoekr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 290
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1200 on: June 17, 2022, 03:00:14 PM »
wheel graphics in

don't fuckin @ me

slikk slikk

Wheel graphics sanded off, wheel graphics are corny
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #1201 on: June 17, 2022, 04:13:59 PM »
Shields on, always.

Shields off is a psyop by bearing companies to make skaters have to replace their bearings more often.

If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1202 on: June 17, 2022, 04:18:22 PM »
It doesn't matter how tight or how loose a pro rides their trucks as long as they don't tictac or do shit beyond acceptable sloppiness.

Fuck that shit, I want people to rebel and do POWER TIC-TACS. Instead of accidentally tic-tacs, just SLAMMING their front truck up and down, back and forth.

POWER TIC-TACS about to take over.

Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Magnolia

• Rep: 412
  • She/They
« Reply #1203 on: June 17, 2022, 04:50:24 PM »
shoe takes:
-90% of vans collabs are ugly
-while some look good, adidas make terrible skate shoes that are uncomfortable
I completely agree with both of these. I have a pair of the purple Na-Kel matchcourts that I think look great but they absolutely kill my feet
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #1204 on: June 19, 2022, 03:44:32 AM »
If you're not cheering for friends who land a trick they've been trying get your head out of your ass

100%! the cool guy vibes are fuckin lame. get hyped,be happpy - its meant to be fun

Sharp-o

• Rep: -6
  • WAH! Haippia spotille!
« Reply #1205 on: June 19, 2022, 12:38:00 PM »
Shorty’s Skateboards was wack.
I can only watch parts as singles Smolik was sick

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #1206 on: June 20, 2022, 03:25:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Standing on a deck and selecting based on vibes is a preferable method to micromanaging dimensions and angles.
[close]

Nah. I'm in and out of the shop in less than 10 minutes. "Do you have the new [blank]," "Yes" Boom, buy it, grip, hardware, outta there. Set it up several blocks away
[close]

Why must you slink into the shadows to set it up like a squirrel that just found an acorn?

I like to take my time hehe. Also in New York shops pros like Suciu will walk in sometimes. It's too much. Imagine if 1% of the time you listened to music you had to politely nod at Julien Casablancas
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1207 on: June 21, 2022, 06:05:36 PM »
GSD is actually pretty fun…..you don’t need a special day to go and skate but it’s rad taking over part of your town and letting a bunch of kids throw their carcasses down stairs…..

FuzzGNU

« Reply #1208 on: June 21, 2022, 07:07:52 PM »
GSD is actually pretty fun…..you don’t need a special day to go and skate but it’s rad taking over part of your town and letting a bunch of kids throw their carcasses down stairs…..

I'm bummed how its always on a day that is too hot or raining around here. I haven't gotten to properly enjoy a GSDay yet due to either circumstances or weather.

Maybe next year...

Blind Trucks

« Reply #1209 on: June 21, 2022, 08:45:54 PM »
I’m starting to value more the knowledge of current skating more than the history……

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #1210 on: June 21, 2022, 09:14:41 PM »
Expand Quote
I’m starting to value more the knowledge of current skating more than the history……
[close]

nothing's been the since same

QixHexagon

• Rep: 31
« Reply #1211 on: June 23, 2022, 04:18:40 AM »
Tech is not boring, the thing is you need to land the tricks flawlessly to be a good tech skater, and most skaters are not good in flipping their boards like Shane O'Neill is.

There are, however, undefendable combos (nollie shuv it smith heelflip out, for insance) no human being should dare to try.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1212 on: June 24, 2022, 01:44:49 PM »
Tight pants are rad, sure they don’t have the same effect on some people but Andrew Reynolds and Duffel are the two that man pull it off whilst skating.
Dueces Bitch's

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #1213 on: June 24, 2022, 04:32:39 PM »
I like Zach Allens skating

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #1214 on: June 25, 2022, 12:21:40 AM »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1215 on: June 25, 2022, 08:17:34 AM »
I rewatched Sebo's LSD part and it is better than any Supreme part maybe bar Tyshawn's SOTY joint

FuzzGNU

« Reply #1216 on: June 25, 2022, 11:56:03 AM »
Tech is not boring, the thing is you need to land the tricks flawlessly to be a good tech skater, and most skaters are not good in flipping their boards like Shane O'Neill is.

There are, however, undefendable combos (nollie shuv it smith heelflip out, for insance) no human being should dare to try.

Its all subjective. I'm sure you will disagree with how I feel.

I find people doing tricks flawlessly is boring. All the skaters who are robotic machines in how they can land tricks is just so uninspiring to me. It makes it look easy and then they are artificially adding style to their tricks?

I'm sure it would look AMAZING in person, but for some reason on video it just saps the tricks of any and all personality.

I think in a lot of artistic disciplines, when you take away the imperfections you take away the humanity. You take away what makes you unique. We all skate imperfectly (as if there is such thing as perfectly) and those flaws and differences are what make up our "style". To do tricks flawlessly but then intentionally manipulate your movements as if it's another "layer" to the trick... it often ends up feeling strange and disingenuine to me.

It's like a punk band missing a few notes and genuinely not caring, vs. a major label pop-punk band having every thing played perfectly by studio musicians to a click-track with pitch corrected vocals. They're all homogenized towards sounding like each other. And then despite that the band acting like "we just don't give a flying flip bro" as this after the fact disingenuine aesthetic.

Hopefully I am putting what I feel into words properly without coming off as pretentious. I've never tried to communicate it before. It's hard to convey "feelings" into words.

flippy lippy

• Rep: -23
« Reply #1217 on: June 25, 2022, 12:40:02 PM »
Oh my bad I'll do another one and wave my arms around more

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #1218 on: June 25, 2022, 12:48:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I find people doing tricks flawlessly is boring. All the skaters who are robotic machines in how they can land tricks is just so uninspiring to me. It makes it look easy and then they are artificially adding style to their tricks?

I'm sure it would look AMAZING in person, but for some reason on video it just saps the tricks of any and all personality.

I think in a lot of artistic disciplines, when you take away the imperfections you take away the humanity. You take away what makes you unique. We all skate imperfectly (as if there is such thing as perfectly) and those flaws and differences are what make up our "style". To do tricks flawlessly but then intentionally manipulate your movements as if it's another "layer" to the trick... it often ends up feeling strange and disingenuine to me.

It's like a punk band missing a few notes and genuinely not caring, vs. a major label pop-punk band having every thing played perfectly by studio musicians to a click-track with pitch corrected vocals. They're all homogenized towards sounding like each other. And then despite that the band acting like "we just don't give a flying flip bro" as this after the fact disingenuine aesthetic.

Hopefully I am putting what I feel into words properly without coming off as pretentious. I've never tried to communicate it before. It's hard to convey "feelings" into words.

That's an interesting post, curious to know some examples of who you're thinking of? Cause I wouldn't put Shane O'neill in that category
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1080
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #1219 on: June 25, 2022, 02:27:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Shorty’s Skateboards was wack.
[close]
Fucking yes! Muska skated good but that was it everything was fucking corn. guilty is the most embarrassing video ever I can imagine how draining it was to film any of the "acting" parts.

Where you guys from?
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

switchfakie

« Reply #1220 on: June 25, 2022, 05:23:37 PM »

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
« Reply #1221 on: June 25, 2022, 05:53:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

so Nugget is the Yngwie Malmsteen of skateboarding, basically

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #1222 on: June 26, 2022, 12:27:46 PM »
everyone just learning the basics, (kids, and females etc) would benefit from riding boards that are smaller than 8"

if 7.5's made a comeback, we would see more boardflipping and just general ripping.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1223 on: June 26, 2022, 12:29:57 PM »
everyone just learning the basics, (kids, and females etc) would benefit from riding boards that are smaller than 8"

if 7.5's made a comeback, we would see more boardflipping and just general ripping.

are people not ripping hard enough? I feel like everyone is so fucking good now, doesn’t matter what they’re riding. Kader learned on a big ass bird with 60mm wheels

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #1224 on: June 26, 2022, 12:32:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

are people not ripping hard enough? I feel like everyone is so fucking good now, doesn’t matter what they’re riding. Kader learned on a big ass bird with 60mm wheels

feels like everyone would be fighting the weight of their board less.
were talking about people with size 7 feet on boards that are wayy wider.
smarter not harder

(also dont forget what thread you just replied to, you're not supposed to agree with me here so just move on)

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #1225 on: June 26, 2022, 12:45:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

smarter not harder

(also dont forget what thread you just replied to, you're not supposed to agree with me here so just move on)

I wish they made more boards that are 7.5/7.75, I swear it seems to always come down between Almost or the shops blanks

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #1226 on: June 26, 2022, 02:47:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

smarter not harder

[close]

I wish they made more boards that are 7.5/7.75, I swear it seems to always come down between Almost or the shops blanks

Check out Cash Only. That Tuna Tooka dude Aleka rides for em, and I'm sure he's riding a 7.75 at the most.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1227 on: June 26, 2022, 03:10:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

smarter not harder

Totally true, I just wanted you to know HOW unpopular and objectionable I find your take. That’s great work.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #1228 on: June 26, 2022, 07:06:24 PM »
My unpopular opinion: there's like a pencil width between a 7.5 and an 8. It could not matter less. The skate companies are banking on everyone thinking a couple of mms is real difference. It's not heart surgery, you'll be fine with whatever.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1229 on: June 27, 2022, 05:41:11 AM »
Anyone else thinks lip-tricks on quarters are way scarier as a small frontside air?

Asking for a friend.
IG: @flowterspace