Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 186269 times)

jorge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1590 on: July 20, 2022, 09:43:50 AM »
I feel the same way about watching flatground as many feel about watching vert.

IpathCats

« Reply #1591 on: July 20, 2022, 10:00:53 AM »
Expand Quote
What is it about lasers that people hate them so much? Yoshi and Dashawn lasers look sick.
[close]
Yeah I don’t get it, I think they’re cool.

Name doesnt help. But ignoring that, if you just look at how the trick is USUALLY done (not Dashawn, his are good actually) it kind of forces the board to go behind you a bit with your legs pointed away from it. IMO looks like a total hail mary from a lot of people, just because of how far away you are from the board, and what your body is doing in relation to it. Kinda like how a lot of neen's flip tricks are super far away from him. or worse, that Jeff Decharse guy? (pine) idk how to spell.

A similar case could be made against forward flips, and how they're normally executed. A lot of people get some serious distance from their board when they do them since the board is flipping end over end.

Now that im thinking about it, i think the remedy to making these tricks look good is to utilize the negative space between your legs to keep the board closer to you, and try to stay over top of it rather than in front or behind.

idk, i think too much. catch me in the shoes and gear section overanalyzing pivot cups sometime.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1128
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1592 on: July 20, 2022, 10:01:38 AM »

Vert is much better than flatground, but I know what you mean.

IpathCats

« Reply #1593 on: July 20, 2022, 10:03:52 AM »
the name doesn't help.  its sounds goofy.  they were a lot cooler when they were just called frontside 360 heelflips

They were called that? That means your body spins too though? Or were people just not doing actual fs 360 heels yet so it didnt matter?

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #1594 on: July 20, 2022, 10:12:26 AM »
Expand Quote
the name doesn't help.  its sounds goofy.  they were a lot cooler when they were just called frontside 360 heelflips
[close]

They were called that? That means your body spins too though? Or were people just not doing actual fs 360 heels yet so it didnt matter?

I don't recall ever calling them that. I remember back in the day when Mike Hayes did them in Timecode and they'd play the little laser sound effect when he did them. I think a lot of us didn't think it was possible until then, and we pretty much immediately started calling them lazerflips?

jorge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1595 on: July 20, 2022, 10:23:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's what I was trying to say.  If there were a "flat" button it'd get a lot of use from me.  The fact that The Berrics does games of skate on flat instead of on ANY of the obstacles in there always baffled me.  I also can't imagine many over the age of 20 watching it but I don't think that counts as an unpopular opinion.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #1596 on: July 20, 2022, 10:24:42 AM »
lazer flips are for the insatiable

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #1597 on: July 20, 2022, 10:30:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I don't recall ever calling them that. I remember back in the day when Mike Hayes did them in Timecode and they'd play the little laser sound effect when he did them. I think a lot of us didn't think it was possible until then, and we pretty much immediately started calling them lazerflips?
I’ve always wondered about this- was AWS already aware of the name it did they invent it? I thought I’d heard people did them in older videos but I’m not sure.

IpathCats

« Reply #1598 on: July 20, 2022, 10:30:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
That's what I was trying to say.  If there were a "flat" button it'd get a lot of use from me.  The fact that The Berrics does games of skate on flat instead of on ANY of the obstacles in there always baffled me.  I also can't imagine many over the age of 20 watching it but I don't think that counts as an unpopular opinion.

IDK those mini ramp games of skate at woodward kinda suck. I dont think id watch one on a set of stairs either. I think a flatbar is the only "standard" obstacle i would watch that on.

Better yet, go to a street spot and play a game of skate on it. that could be cool if executed properly on the right spot.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #1599 on: July 20, 2022, 10:36:47 AM »
I like flat like I like vert, in that I love to see it from skaters I love. I'll watch any lowkey filmed game of skate a la this:
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1600 on: July 20, 2022, 10:39:25 AM »
Expand Quote
What is it about lasers that people hate them so much? Yoshi and Dashawn lasers look sick.
[close]
Yeah I don’t get it, I think they’re cool.

I also like them when done right

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

wahwahwah

• Rep: -3
« Reply #1601 on: July 20, 2022, 10:39:46 AM »
clean grind/slide looks wayyyyy better than an almost clean flip in/out grind/slide trick

for example long ass bs crook with a nice pop out looks way better than a flip into a short crook
Sipe nousee sisään,
Niin nousee herkkokin.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1602 on: July 20, 2022, 10:43:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

IDK those mini ramp games of skate at woodward kinda suck. I dont think id watch one on a set of stairs either. I think a flatbar is the only "standard" obstacle i would watch that on.

Better yet, go to a street spot and play a game of skate on it. that could be cool if executed properly on the right spot.
Is there a mini ramp at the Berrics now?  They have a ledge, a bank to ledge, numerous rails etc. that I'd much rather see.  But no we get people skating like they are kids practicing in their parents driveway.   Agree on the "real street spot" though that would be fun.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 987
  • the moon rules
« Reply #1603 on: July 20, 2022, 11:23:13 AM »
Its pretty standard to pump and carve into coping grinds while skating transition. But has there ever been footage or whereabouts of transition skaters popping frontside or backside 50 or 5-0 on vert or pool coping and popping out into transition, similarly to popping onto a curb or flatbar for a grind and popping out?

I have seen plenty of yank-ins and yank-outs with or without grabbing on fence-over coping quarterpipes and ditches with walls. As well as street/vert-esque dudes like Max Schaaf popping in and out of smiths and tailslides, as well as people like Oski and Raven doing noseblunts and nosegrind pop-outs (which makes sense as those are pop-in and pop-out tricks on transition).

A long, pop-in 50-50 pop-out on pool coping just seems so complex and ridiculously difficult.

@buttchin
Max Schaaf in Non-Fiction is what you’re looking for

fuck you bama

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #1604 on: July 20, 2022, 11:30:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

There's a Brazilian skate channel on YT called SobreSkate (I think) that does a game called Grinds'n'Slides, it's basically SKATE played on a funbox. First skater sets the trick and second skater gets two tries (three tries on final letter).
Lot's of pretty big name Brazilian pros were in it. Pretty good watch.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -213
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1605 on: July 20, 2022, 11:31:41 AM »
No nollie hardflip is illegal.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1606 on: July 20, 2022, 03:10:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Its pretty standard to pump and carve into coping grinds while skating transition. But has there ever been footage or whereabouts of transition skaters popping frontside or backside 50 or 5-0 on vert or pool coping and popping out into transition, similarly to popping onto a curb or flatbar for a grind and popping out?

I have seen plenty of yank-ins and yank-outs with or without grabbing on fence-over coping quarterpipes and ditches with walls. As well as street/vert-esque dudes like Max Schaaf popping in and out of smiths and tailslides, as well as people like Oski and Raven doing noseblunts and nosegrind pop-outs (which makes sense as those are pop-in and pop-out tricks on transition).

A long, pop-in 50-50 pop-out on pool coping just seems so complex and ridiculously difficult.
[close]

@buttchin
Max Schaaf in Non-Fiction is what you’re looking for

that front tail is unthinkable to me

fergus

• Rep: 46
« Reply #1607 on: July 20, 2022, 04:14:35 PM »
I think well-executed lazerflips and dolphin flips look cool as fuck.

A hard trick to make look cool but when it works...

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CAMcXC-FK4k/

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #1608 on: July 20, 2022, 04:25:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Trick names are confusing. Some older dudes I know call Tre flips by their full name, "360 kickflips". By the logic of naming pop shuvs (which is technically a backside pop shuv it) vs fs pop shuvs, it kinda makes sense that the technical name for a Lazer flip is a fs 360 heel (nobody I know calls them that though).

As someone who loves heelflips and fs pop shuvs and struggles with kickflips and proper pop shuvs, it's sad to know Lazer flips fall into this ugly trick category.

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1609 on: July 20, 2022, 05:19:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Trick names are confusing. Some older dudes I know call Tre flips by their full name, "360 kickflips". By the logic of naming pop shuvs (which is technically a backside pop shuv it) vs fs pop shuvs, it kinda makes sense that the technical name for a Lazer flip is a fs 360 heel (nobody I know calls them that though).

As someone who loves heelflips and fs pop shuvs and struggles with kickflips and proper pop shuvs, it's sad to know Lazer flips fall into this ugly trick category.

Dudes are living in the stone age. Have them watch a Chris Cole part from the mid 2000s and make them name the tricks he does. Dude 360 kickflips everything. That would be a good way to make them start calling 360 flips by their proper name lol
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

newguy

« Reply #1610 on: July 20, 2022, 05:39:11 PM »
sloppy spray painted unintelligible slogan on grip tapes needs to go away for good

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #1611 on: July 20, 2022, 07:20:14 PM »
I think if I had any reach at all for a part I would film my ender in the worst gear ever. Like Barstool merch or something. To be funny. I wonder if Supreme riders feel the same way

sloppy spray painted unintelligible slogan on grip tapes needs to go away for good
I dont care what kids do at the skate park
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

stupidfuckface

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #1612 on: July 21, 2022, 06:06:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My memory is fucked, but I think Ronnie Bertino was running fs 360 heels before the mike Hayes “lazer flip”

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1613 on: July 21, 2022, 06:42:12 AM »
Even after Mike Hayes did it….not sure when people started calling them laser flips.  Could be THPS…  I can’t really say the name had a gross impact on how they look. 

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
« Reply #1614 on: July 21, 2022, 07:04:08 AM »
So what about front side 360 flips, 360 hard flip? Bro flip? Who did/does it good? Yes I know you all hate them.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #1615 on: July 21, 2022, 07:13:31 AM »
So what about front side 360 flips, 360 hard flip? Bro flip? Who did/does it good? Yes I know you all hate them.
Albert Nyberg does the best one I can think of

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #1616 on: July 21, 2022, 07:52:55 AM »
I liked MJ's laser flip in Yeah Right.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1376
« Reply #1617 on: July 21, 2022, 08:06:32 AM »
I liked MJ's laser flip in Yeah Right.

Yeah, that one was sick. The way he kicks his heel out.

There was a random dude in Coliseum's Boston Massacre video who did one, and it looked good. It was real casual.

warmonke

• Rep: 43
« Reply #1618 on: July 21, 2022, 08:23:16 AM »
ishod did a switch one on flat in a johnny wilson short that looked real good
switch laser is always better than regs, fact

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #1619 on: July 21, 2022, 08:57:02 AM »
But does Chris Haslam CHEAT his laser flips??