Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 186230 times)

JRF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 145
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1860 on: August 13, 2022, 09:04:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Before there were unpopular opinion threads there was more specific gems like 'How do you guys lace your Half-Cabs?'
[close]
my brother in christ, no one forced you to come back
[close]

And now gone too soon :(
[close]
As the saying goes: the candle that burns twice as bright emits two times the light.
[close]
When did the saying go like that?
[close]
Don't know what you got until you don't have it anymore
[close]

Or, “make like a tree and get the fuck out of here”?
[close]

Guys these are all wrong it is really not that hard, you aren't performing rocket surgery or anything.
[close]
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on you a second time!

“For a long time, they had told us that there was light at the end of the tunnel, but they never told us that it was a train!”
//////////

JRF

« Reply #1861 on: August 13, 2022, 09:08:16 PM »
All the gonz board designs that aren’t a zip zinger/zagger/zogger/popsicle look like complete dogshit. Talking from a board shape aspect only (not graphics).

I can’t imagine that the gonz cares what type of shape they use for his board. I’m Just saying, I wouldn’t think that the dude cares one way or another. Or maybe he does and he likes a terrible board shapes? I don’t have the answers and my reply is pretty pointless I guess…
//////////

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1128
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1862 on: August 14, 2022, 03:53:05 PM »
Honestly, grant taylor is just Greyson fletcher with better sponsors. We wouldn’t have ever heard of either of them if their dads weren’t pros…

Goodcurbs

• Rep: -279
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1863 on: August 15, 2022, 04:12:58 AM »
Expand Quote
All the gonz board designs that aren’t a zip zinger/zagger/zogger/popsicle look like complete dogshit. Talking from a board shape aspect only (not graphics).
[close]

I can’t imagine that the gonz cares what type of shape they use for his board. I’m Just saying, I wouldn’t think that the dude cares one way or another. Or maybe he does and he likes a terrible board shapes? I don’t have the answers and my reply is pretty pointless I guess…
I heard his next board is just a circle the size of a manhole cover. I think it's getting called the zip zerkel

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #1864 on: August 15, 2022, 08:11:04 AM »
Honestly, grant taylor is just Greyson fletcher with better sponsors. We wouldn’t have ever heard of either of them if their dads weren’t pros…

One of the bolder unpopular opinions here. I'm not a huge GT fan but I'd still rate him much higher.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1865 on: August 16, 2022, 01:41:47 AM »
i'm triggered

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #1866 on: August 16, 2022, 06:26:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i'm triggered
This is the worst take but i love seeing an actual unpopular opinion in the unpopular opinion thread so I mean I'm conflicted here.

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1
« Reply #1867 on: August 16, 2022, 06:37:20 AM »

someone on twitter said GT dresses like he's sponsored by Kohls  ;D and I havent looked at him the same since
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1868 on: August 16, 2022, 07:59:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

someone on twitter said GT dresses like he's sponsored by Kohls  ;D and I havent looked at him the same since

Damn that's so true. He dresses like he's wearing the tony hawk quiksilver collection

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #1869 on: August 16, 2022, 08:02:06 AM »
According to Twitter any fit that isn't just Polar pants is a bad fit.

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 282
« Reply #1870 on: August 16, 2022, 08:54:23 AM »
Disco works better than black metal in skate edits

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #1871 on: August 16, 2022, 09:01:48 AM »
Disco works better than black metal in skate edits
More fact than opinion

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #1872 on: August 16, 2022, 11:10:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’ve read a few times that Gonz is notoriously dissatisfied with his setups. It’s probably part of his “craze”. He’ll snatch people’s boards and skate em on sessions and mutter about how they’re so much better than what he is riding... I dunno what his involvement is with actual shape and size choices.. maybe someone at Krooked has a screw loose.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1325
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1873 on: August 16, 2022, 11:35:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’ve read a few times that Gonz is notoriously dissatisfied with his setups. It’s probably part of his “craze”. He’ll snatch people’s boards and skate em on sessions and mutter about how they’re so much better than what he is riding... I dunno what his involvement is with actual shape and size choices.. maybe someone at Krooked has a screw loose.
There is footage out there of Gonz in a garage in one of the boroughs personally cutting and sanding his bizarro shapes, 5 or more at a time. It looked like he was pretty much making them himself, at least at the time. I believe the footage I am thinking of was maybe from the first Evil Beemer drop promo?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #1874 on: August 16, 2022, 03:20:04 PM »
Gnar’d for insanity. You’re a maniac.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #1875 on: August 16, 2022, 03:55:13 PM »

This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1876 on: August 20, 2022, 05:04:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Greyson would’ve done a one foot

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1877 on: August 20, 2022, 06:55:58 PM »
I am so oversaturated with SF hillbombs and the general fried-ness of the cool GX dudes that I can't be bothered to care about them. I like Eddie and Chris and some other guys have good clips but it just feels like a discount Chris Senn. They do some crazy shit, but weren't the first to bomb ridiculous hills they just made it a central element of their footage. Id be more bummed if my kid ended up like that then the whole YouTube Braille scene.

JRF

« Reply #1878 on: August 20, 2022, 07:13:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m having a hard time thinking that grant wouldn’t have a skateboard career without his father’s name. I mean, Schmidt stix had an awesome team roster and I had quite a few of the schmidt stix, kick nose “Chris miller wolf graphic” decks, and I learned terribly executed backside flips on one of those boards. But I think grant has possibly/probably accomplished as much (maybe more?) than his father did?
//////////

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -300
« Reply #1879 on: August 20, 2022, 08:34:50 PM »
Trying your hardest at skating is cool. Taking your skating seriously is cool. Pushing yourself to get better is cool. Learning new tricks is cool.

JRF

« Reply #1880 on: August 20, 2022, 08:45:38 PM »
Trying your hardest at skating is cool. Taking your skating seriously is cool. Pushing yourself to get better is cool. Learning new tricks is cool.

I might of been cool for a brief moment from September of ‘97 to December of ‘00.. of course, that’s entirely subjective.
//////////

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #1881 on: August 20, 2022, 10:13:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I’m having a hard time thinking that grant wouldn’t have a skateboard career without his father’s name. I mean, Schmidt stix had an awesome team roster and I had quite a few of the schmidt stix, kick nose “Chris miller wolf graphic” decks, and I learned terribly executed backside flips on one of those boards. But I think grant has possibly/probably accomplished as much (maybe more?) than his father did?
Who’s his dad? Honestly don’t know

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1882 on: August 20, 2022, 10:27:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
There is footage out there of Gonz in a garage in one of the boroughs personally cutting and sanding his bizarro shapes, 5 or more at a time. It looked like he was pretty much making them himself, at least at the time. I believe the footage I am thinking of was maybe from the first Evil Beemer drop promo?

Good looks on that reminder! Gonz madness isn’t always endearing (!) but the shapes and widths he was throwing out in that video were pretty fun. Tyshawn nollie flipping the stairs at the end on a board a wide as a sidewalk is just a treat.

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1883 on: August 20, 2022, 10:38:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Thomas Taylor. I think he was on New Deal? He has some clips in Useless Wooden Toys? Been a while since I thought about it. He owns and runs Stratosphere in Atlanta now.

Grant probably surpassed his dad as an am, but I don’t think he would be the same skater entirely without what he grew up around.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #1884 on: August 20, 2022, 11:26:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Thomas Taylor. I think he was on New Deal? He has some clips in Useless Wooden Toys? Been a while since I thought about it. He owns and runs Stratosphere in Atlanta now.

Grant probably surpassed his dad as an am, but I don’t think he would be the same skater entirely without what he grew up around.
I think it's probably fair to say a lot of skateboarders wouldn't be who they are today without their dads, grants just happened to skate. It's not like grant only ever got sponsored because the world are all huge Thomas Taylor fans

JRF

« Reply #1885 on: August 21, 2022, 01:24:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

He rode/was pro for “Schmidt stixs” he was probably on “new deal” after Schmidt stixs ceased to be. I can’t remember for sure though.
//////////

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #1886 on: August 21, 2022, 01:58:17 AM »
Supposedly Thomas Taylor isn't his real father.

Blessed is a good skate video.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #1887 on: August 21, 2022, 03:31:09 PM »

Do people disagree with that?
I mean, to disagree with that is to admit skateboarding is just a fashion/lifestyle choice and not actually about the skating?

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #1888 on: August 22, 2022, 03:17:10 AM »
The new Vans x Frog shoes are the most disgusting pieces of dog shit I've ever seen. Seriously bad.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Roy Machine

• Rep: -5
« Reply #1889 on: August 22, 2022, 03:43:37 AM »
Straight no complys look like shit.

Jake Johnsons style is bad and the hype on slap is unjustified

Edit: I just watched his purple part after writing this and I eat my words regarding the hype. Nevertheless I stand to my statement about his style
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 03:52:13 AM by Roy Machine »