Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 183888 times)

Dwyck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #2310 on: September 30, 2022, 01:47:07 PM »
My unpopular opinion is that popcush is awful
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #2311 on: September 30, 2022, 01:47:57 PM »
Skating ditches is the most fun type of skating.
Ditches or backyard pools.  The most fun things to do are the least fun things to watch.

sacking rails

• Rep: -221
  • sacking rails
« Reply #2312 on: September 30, 2022, 01:48:56 PM »
everyone who skated vans before the skate/pro series agrees

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2313 on: September 30, 2022, 01:52:59 PM »
I mean it is better than Ultracush, but that shit sucked. Popcush is great for eventually getting heel bruises despite the overall size of the insole.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #2314 on: September 30, 2022, 01:57:23 PM »
What were the white insoles from TNT 2s called? Got a pair of those insoles that I've prob put a couple thousand miles in easy and they're still going strong. Maybe a touch thicker in the forefoot (possibly not haven't measured) but not as tall in the heel.

R3dBullRox420

« Reply #2315 on: September 30, 2022, 01:58:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
everyone who skated vans before the skate/pro series agrees

📠📠📠

Why the "Pro" suede shoes hold their shape less than their normal canvas shoes 😂😭

sacking rails

• sacking rails
« Reply #2316 on: October 01, 2022, 09:19:41 AM »
egg/football decks are for people who cant fully commit to a popsicle or shaped deck

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #2317 on: October 01, 2022, 09:25:50 AM »
canvas < all other materials

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #2318 on: October 01, 2022, 09:35:09 AM »
canvas < all other materials

I make my ship’s sails out of pleather.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #2319 on: October 01, 2022, 01:32:05 PM »
egg/football decks are for people who cant fully commit to a popsicle or shaped deck
I think eggs are the only shape besides popsicles that make practical sense, because they’re nice if you just want more room for your front foot. Shaped decks are just for show.

Roy Machine

• Rep: -6
« Reply #2320 on: October 02, 2022, 02:45:50 AM »
My rep is in the positive again so it's time crush it...

1. Kalis's tre-flips are overrated they don't look that nice
2. From an outside perspective Dime glory Challenge is just a bro fest now and most people involved or in the crowd seem unsufferable. I think it was irony at first but now they became what they wanted to mock.
3. The nike sb eco looks like shit. I don't get the Love it receives on here

sacking rails

• sacking rails
« Reply #2321 on: October 02, 2022, 06:09:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I think eggs are the only shape besides popsicles that make practical sense, because they’re nice if you just want more room for your front foot. Shaped decks are just for show.
bad take but hey thats what this thread is for

skatebruh

• Rep: 27
« Reply #2322 on: October 02, 2022, 09:05:34 AM »
Agree. The Chima Pro 2 had the Ultracush 3D insole which I use in all my Vans. But they have gotten nasty over the years...

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #2323 on: October 02, 2022, 09:38:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I used to think the same, but this video changed my mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-_ZJo0mn4s

I definitely understand why people ride them now. So much of skateboarding is mental, and if it puts you into the mentality to skate the way you want to skate, then more power to you! Fun is subjective, and who are we to say what is and isn't fun to skate, right?

They're not for me, but that video gave me a lot more respect and understanding to people who do ride them. I think its kinda cool that there are still people riding them.

Also, any arguments we could make against shaped boards can also be made against any non twin tail deck if you think about it...
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #2324 on: October 02, 2022, 10:52:57 AM »
There’s a point where we must acknowledge that our tastes and preferences have aesthetic dimensions as well as practical ones. There’s a reason why we don’t all skate twin-tail Powell Flight Decks in grey sweatpants and blank t-shirts.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #2325 on: October 02, 2022, 11:42:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I used to think the same, but this video changed my mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-_ZJo0mn4s

I definitely understand why people ride them now. So much of skateboarding is mental, and if it puts you into the mentality to skate the way you want to skate, then more power to you! Fun is subjective, and who are we to say what is and isn't fun to skate, right?

They're not for me, but that video gave me a lot more respect and understanding to people who do ride them. I think its kinda cool that there are still people riding them.

Also, any arguments we could make against shaped boards can also be made against any non twin tail deck if you think about it...
Sure if they make people feel cool then go for it. I usually do horizontal stripes for my grip the jobs because it tricks my brain into thinking my board is wider than it is. Seems like a stretch to say either thing is practical though

indigenous_nudity

• Rep: 13
« Reply #2326 on: October 02, 2022, 02:02:43 PM »
Trendwatch 2023

There’s a point where we must acknowledge that our tastes and preferences have aesthetic dimensions as well as practical ones. There’s a reason why we don’t all skate twin-tail Powell Flight Decks in grey sweatpants and blank t-shirts.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #2327 on: October 02, 2022, 02:21:50 PM »
Gonna take a real big swing

The three polar videos aren't as good as the three _____ days videos Pontus did for cons

Also I'm backing plain shirts and sweatpants (maybe not the rocky greys tho don't need to instantly see everyone's ass sweat)

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #2328 on: October 02, 2022, 02:22:55 PM »
Jumping down big stairs and untouched gaps will forever be the coolest part of skating

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #2329 on: October 02, 2022, 03:00:05 PM »
Skateboarding is fun
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

FirstTimeCaller411

• Rep: -12
« Reply #2330 on: October 02, 2022, 04:04:13 PM »
I’m desensitized to Jamie Foy doing a front crook or a front feeble and don’t think it even counts as a trick for him anymore.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #2331 on: October 02, 2022, 04:56:46 PM »

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #2332 on: October 02, 2022, 05:00:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Skateboarding is fun
[close]
No fuck you
In Soviet Russia, you fuck me.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2333 on: October 02, 2022, 05:02:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Skateboarding is fun
[close]
No fuck you
[close]
In Soviet Russia, you fuck me.
Post a fit first

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #2334 on: October 02, 2022, 09:12:03 PM »
I don’t mind when old threads are bumped. If it’s a reminder of a good part for example, that’s cool. If it’s something stupid about something else that’s stupid, whatever.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 567
« Reply #2335 on: October 03, 2022, 12:16:35 PM »
I think the whole SOTY process is kinda broken now. Is it really fair to call someone a Skater of the Year when they can release a bunch of parts they spent multiple years working on? The sheer quantity and level of skating that Mark Suciu and Mason Silva put out for example is really really high, but that shit wasn't all filmed in the same year. Is this going to eventually push our favorite skaters to not drop any footy of substance for several years until they want to take a run at SOTY?

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #2336 on: October 03, 2022, 12:27:24 PM »
I think the whole SOTY process is kinda broken now. Is it really fair to call someone a Skater of the Year when they can release a bunch of parts they spent multiple years working on? The sheer quantity and level of skating that Mark Suciu and Mason Silva put out for example is really really high, but that shit wasn't all filmed in the same year. Is this going to eventually push our favorite skaters to not drop any footy of substance for several years until they want to take a run at SOTY?

This point makes no sense. Do you think Fully Flared was filmed within a year? Stay Gold? Sorry? Most, if not, all of the SOTYs won based on footage that took multiple years to compile. You can criticize the strategy of "campaigning" for SOTY all you want, but saving footage for a long time is how the vast majority of skateboard media works.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2337 on: October 03, 2022, 12:27:51 PM »
Is this going to eventually push our favorite skaters to not drop any footy of substance for several years until they want to take a run at SOTY?

Isn't this how it used to be? Not even because of SOTY, but people were waiting very long times for any footage of certain pros.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 567
« Reply #2338 on: October 03, 2022, 12:34:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This point makes no sense. Do you think Fully Flared was filmed within a year? Stay Gold? Sorry? Most, if not, all of the SOTYs won based on footage that took multiple years to compile. You can criticize the strategy of "campaigning" for SOTY all you want, but saving footage for a long time is how the vast majority of skateboard media works.

I understood it more when the Internet wasn't accessible as it is now and those you mentioned are full length videos, which have a lot more moving parts. In our current day and age where single parts dominate skate media, it makes less sense imo. I think it's more of a nitpick on my end, I don't have an issue with campaigning for SOTY and I follow along like everyone else. Hope that makes my opinion more clear.

Expand Quote
Is this going to eventually push our favorite skaters to not drop any footy of substance for several years until they want to take a run at SOTY?
[close]

Isn't this how it used to be? Not even because of SOTY, but people were waiting very long times for any footage of certain pros.

Clarified a bit more above

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #2339 on: October 03, 2022, 12:44:57 PM »
LPT: Turn pro off the back of instagram hype, spend 10 years filming and releasing nothing, release your entire career's body of work at once at the end of the year. Guaranteed SOTY
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.