Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 186248 times)

JRF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 145
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #2550 on: October 15, 2022, 04:53:38 PM »
popping out into transition, similarly to popping onto a curb or flatbar for a grind and popping out?

If you tried to pop out of a 5-0,50-50 etc on pool coping, in a typical tight transition, standard backyard swimming pool you would overshoot the transition and land directly in the flat bottom. Just like skating a vert ramp with a proper length of full vert before the coping, if you pop an Ollie where your tail pops off the vert, you’re most likely going to get popped straight into the flat bottom. Back in the early 90’s when I first learned standard backside pivot fakies I had to pop out of them like a blunt fakie at first because I was scared to just lean off of the coping and roll out of a pivot fakie. I tried a backside pivot fakie on this full size vert ramp in Corvallis or, I tried to pop out of the pivot fakie and It pretty much sent me straight from the coping in to the flat bottom. That’s sort of the old school cautionary tale “if you’re skating a vert ramp or a backyard pool, don’t pop your tail like an Ollie, it’ll bounce you straight out of the transition and towards the flat bottom. I’m sure that there are some people that can get away with a little bit of a street tail style ollie off of vert transition, but it’s a dangerous game they’re playing when a little too much tail pop can send you from the top of the ramp to the flat bottom.
//////////

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #2551 on: October 15, 2022, 10:30:00 PM »
Expand Quote
popping out into transition, similarly to popping onto a curb or flatbar for a grind and popping out?

[close]

If you tried to pop out of a 5-0,50-50 etc on pool coping, in a typical tight transition, standard backyard swimming pool you would overshoot the transition and land directly in the flat bottom. Just like skating a vert ramp with a proper length of full vert before the coping, if you pop an Ollie where your tail pops off the vert, you’re most likely going to get popped straight into the flat bottom. Back in the early 90’s when I first learned standard backside pivot fakies I had to pop out of them like a blunt fakie at first because I was scared to just lean off of the coping and roll out of a pivot fakie. I tried a backside pivot fakie on this full size vert ramp in Corvallis or, I tried to pop out of the pivot fakie and It pretty much sent me straight from the coping in to the flat bottom. That’s sort of the old school cautionary tale “if you’re skating a vert ramp or a backyard pool, don’t pop your tail like an Ollie, it’ll bounce you straight out of the transition and towards the flat bottom. I’m sure that there are some people that can get away with a little bit of a street tail style ollie off of vert transition, but it’s a dangerous game they’re playing when a little too much tail pop can send you from the top of the ramp to the flat bottom.
I love that you post here now. For real keep bringing the sage wisdom homie. 💗

JRF

• Rep: 145
« Reply #2552 on: October 16, 2022, 02:25:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I love that you post here now. For real keep bringing the sage wisdom homie. 💗

Haha! Thanks doggy! I think I might jumped the gun on that one though, not sure if he was actually talking about popping a street Ollie off of a vert transition wall. Oh well, it was just a fun laughing and thinking about the stupid shit us street kids attempted on one of those rare occasions back in the day where we had the chance to skate a real very ramp for the first time! Guarantee every stupid vert ramp misconception was put the test and lessons were learned, sort of.. haha!!
//////////

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -435
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2553 on: October 16, 2022, 05:51:55 AM »
Expand Quote
My only beef with GH is how he pronounces AVE. It’s pronounced “Ay-Vee-Ee” it’s an acronym man c’mon. Am I out of the loop on this?
[close]

?? acronyms are pronounced as words all the time. You're thinking of initialisms, they're a type of acronym

Who’s your favorite SOTY? Mine would either be Tony “Tuhnt” Trujillo or or Brian “Bah” Anderson. I’m a big Stevie fan though so I like to ride “Dujuhkah” boards. Love seeing new P.Rod footage recently (pronounced “prod” of course, because we live in fantasy land where nothing makes sense apparently)

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #2554 on: October 16, 2022, 06:01:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My only beef with GH is how he pronounces AVE. It’s pronounced “Ay-Vee-Ee” it’s an acronym man c’mon. Am I out of the loop on this?
[close]

?? acronyms are pronounced as words all the time. You're thinking of initialisms, they're a type of acronym
[close]

Who’s your favorite SOTY? Mine would either be Tony “Tuhnt” Trujillo or or Brian “Bah” Anderson. I’m a big Stevie fan though so I like to ride “Dujuhkah” boards. Love seeing new P.Rod footage recently (pronounced “prod” of course, because we live in fantasy land where nothing makes sense apparently)
Those are all good examples but I've never heard anyone call Ave aye vee ee. Maybe just think of Ave as a nickname  that comes from the acronym rather than being the acronym itself.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2555 on: October 16, 2022, 06:12:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Those are all good examples but I've never heard anyone call Ave aye vee ee. Maybe just think of Ave as a nickname  that comes from the acronym rather than being the acronym itself.

Mean I love you man but he literally had a shoe called the AV3 (the best feeling shoe I’ve ever skated but they blew out in a week)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #2556 on: October 16, 2022, 06:23:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Don’t know of this unpopular but I’ve watched gifted hater for the first time this week and I am amused
[close]

same. a local I've seen a couple times at a park on sunday mornings suggested Gifted Hater to me a couple weekends ago. watched his stuff this week, I fuckin love it. the SLS hubba hideout contest video has been one of my favorites!
[close]
Also find him amusing, he's got skills too, solid skater.

He's a really good skater and if he were not, people would not take him seriously.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 990
« Reply #2557 on: October 16, 2022, 06:32:03 AM »
360 rounds to 400 so we should all call them 4 flips, backside 4s, etc

sacking rails

• Rep: -222
  • sacking rails
« Reply #2558 on: October 16, 2022, 08:00:51 AM »
what

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #2559 on: October 16, 2022, 08:07:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Mean I love you man but he literally had a shoe called the AV3 (the best feeling shoe I’ve ever skated but they blew out in a week)

A genuine lunatic right here

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #2560 on: October 16, 2022, 08:16:58 AM »
you have been conditioned by society to make you think you need coffee

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 722
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2561 on: October 16, 2022, 08:19:23 AM »
I have been conditioned by coffee to know I need coffee
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #2562 on: October 16, 2022, 09:34:44 AM »
bussup is some of the worst shit in modern skateboarding
Bussup is at the intersection of calling out fake steez and filming every single trick you land for IG. Who cares that somebody stumbled skating a flatbar. It's skate park footy!!! It doesn't matter!!
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

quackquack

• Rep: -408
« Reply #2563 on: October 16, 2022, 09:39:35 AM »

Mods
Oh, the places you'll go.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2564 on: October 16, 2022, 09:51:16 AM »
bs willy nollie out are fueg

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2565 on: October 16, 2022, 10:24:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

A genuine lunatic right here

I, like most mentally ill people, prefer to think I’m simply vibrating at a higher frequency

sacking rails

• sacking rails
« Reply #2566 on: October 16, 2022, 10:58:57 AM »
when we talk aboit him irl we say ave not ay vee eee because who the fuck has time for that shit

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #2567 on: October 16, 2022, 03:57:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Mods
That’s the kind of lunacy I come to this thread to see

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #2568 on: October 17, 2022, 04:39:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Wait sorry but you can't be this stupid

KFC
ATM
TNT
AOL
FBI

Letters read out individually

NATO
NASA
PIN
GIF

Pronounced as words

Not saying AVE's name is definitely said one way or the other but to say it makes no sense to pronounce it as one word is idiotic. Also you litereally used the acronym SOTY in your post which you hear people pronounce as "Sotee" all the time
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

sacking rails

• sacking rails
« Reply #2569 on: October 17, 2022, 07:03:29 AM »
no its es oh tee why

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 86
« Reply #2570 on: October 18, 2022, 02:58:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Crumbum is a highly underrated insult.
[close]
[close]
its actually over rated do you guys live under a rock??
[close]

Ok crumbum

Seems like bumcrumb would be a much better insult

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2571 on: October 18, 2022, 08:18:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

KFC
ATM
TNT
AOL
FBI

NATO
NASA
PIN
GIF

Pronounced as words

Not saying AVE's name is definitely said one way or the other but to say it makes no sense to pronounce it as one word is idiotic. Also you litereally used the acronym SOTY in your post which you hear people pronounce as "Sotee" all the time

Who are you to say I can't be this stupid? I tried to double jump in real life when I was eight. Spent a good three or four minutes doing it. I thought if I just got the timing right it would work just like in Super Mario Sunshine.

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 282
« Reply #2572 on: October 18, 2022, 08:54:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

KFC
ATM
TNT
AOL
FBI

NATO
NASA
PIN
GIF

Pronounced as words

[close]

Who are you to say I can't be this stupid? I tried to double jump in real life when I was eight. Spent a good three or four minutes doing it. I thought if I just got the timing right it would work just like in Super Mario Sunshine.
Well...

Did you do it??

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2573 on: October 19, 2022, 10:41:14 PM »
While yes cariuma does suck as a company their shoe designs are just whatevs. Nowhere near as bad as people make out, swap their logo for another companies and people wouldn't say shit. Maybe pick the right company and people would be saying the opposite.

Doing a trick in the early morning isn't that crazy. More skating should be done in the early morning spots look way better with less pedestrians and security etc

sacking rails

• sacking rails
« Reply #2574 on: October 20, 2022, 02:20:57 AM »
people who get mad about grinds/wallride marks are legitimately dumb. when has anyone ever seen wax on a ledge in front of a business and been like "well im not going in there anymore!!". guess what?? society is collapsing before our eyes motherfucker who cares if i wallride your shitty business

you should get cancelled for having fake steez

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #2575 on: October 20, 2022, 03:42:16 AM »
3 of Kenny Reed's last 6 tricks in 7 Year Glitch shouldn't have counted.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2576 on: October 20, 2022, 03:59:51 AM »
3 of Kenny Reed's last 6 tricks in 7 Year Glitch shouldn't have counted.
Kenny reed is an all time great but has def got away with a lot of questionable tricks over the years.

But reminds me if you're a pro or even decent am whatever don't have guest tricks in your part way better than the rest of your own footage.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #2577 on: October 20, 2022, 04:56:11 AM »
While yes cariuma does suck as a company their shoe designs are just whatevs. Nowhere near as bad as people make out, swap their logo for another companies and people wouldn't say shit. Maybe pick the right company and people would be saying the opposite.

The Cariuma hate is so completely over the top. The logo is indeed hideous, though.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

sacking rails

• sacking rails
« Reply #2578 on: October 20, 2022, 05:01:33 AM »
ive never been at a sesh and heard cariuma get brought up. in all reality most people either dont know or dont care about the brand/ethics. its literally only gifted hater fanboys who talk about them still, and he shaved his head over a slap thread.

IpathCats

« Reply #2579 on: October 20, 2022, 06:38:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The Cariuma hate is so completely over the top. The logo is indeed hideous, though.

ive never been at a sesh and heard cariuma get brought up. in all reality most people either dont know or dont care about the brand/ethics. its literally only gifted hater fanboys who talk about them still, and he shaved his head over a slap thread.

Bet you wont buy a pair.

I've heard people talk about them. Some dude around me was even getting "flowed by cariuma" (fuck that hurts to say) and he said the shoes were so bad he didn't even want to keep wearing them. The guy isnt even that good, and I've seen him skating similar low profile vulcs from emerica/es/lakai so it's not like he was skating some crazy good/high tech/well built shoes before. The paycheck is the ONLY reason pros wear these.

Cariuma is trash, stop being so fucking soft, it's ok to hate on wack shit.

Now for my potentially unpopular opinion, most skate shoes just fucking suck and the build quality does not match the price. The foxing tape separates on like every pair of vans i see, even though they've been making vulcs for 100 fucking years. The recent Lakais, Es's, and NBs I've worn have gotten shredded in a handful of sessions.

There are some exceptions, AVEs and 1010's seem to hold up well though i havent skated either. LARBs seem to hold up well considering they are a low profile vulc. I'm sure there are a handful of other decent durable skate shoes, but overall the quality just seems to be poor. It would be a different story if shoes were like $40-$50, but even cheaper skate shoes are $60-$70. Buying shoes not meant for skating, super gluing the stitching at first and holes as they start, and using FP insoles if the shoe calls for it has netted me better results than any skate shoe ive worn in the last 10 years.