Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 186221 times)

bigbevev

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -14
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #2760 on: October 28, 2022, 06:31:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’m watching some of Aaron Yants YouTube vids and I guess this is an unpopular opinion because they seem to not get too many views but they’re good. One of my favorite skaters.
[close]
aaron yant is crazy good. his instagram clips are always so much fun to watch. pretty sure pontus is sending him polar boards but i’d love to see him get more recognition in the industry
[close]

He hasn’t been skating Polar for a while. He’s on Friendship now. Agreed that he’s a rad skater.

Isnt it the other way around? And isnt friendship done?

Slugboi22

• Rep: 69
« Reply #2761 on: October 28, 2022, 06:42:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’m watching some of Aaron Yants YouTube vids and I guess this is an unpopular opinion because they seem to not get too many views but they’re good. One of my favorite skaters.
[close]
aaron yant is crazy good. his instagram clips are always so much fun to watch. pretty sure pontus is sending him polar boards but i’d love to see him get more recognition in the industry
[close]

He hasn’t been skating Polar for a while. He’s on Friendship now. Agreed that he’s a rad skater.
[close]

Isnt it the other way around? And isnt friendship done?
yeah it is. Was on friendship and is now polar flow. Aaron rips and he’s a good dude :)

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #2762 on: October 28, 2022, 10:53:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Are people under the impression that they're gonna be like 55 years old and still kickflipping the Euro gap?
[close]
  fuck yea
[close]

I mean I hope so, too, but if I am being honest, I think I’ll be pretty happy with myself if I can rip around the park when I’m half a century old.

I’ll be stoked if I’m even still alive at 50 lol
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

bigolboii

• Rep: -11
« Reply #2763 on: October 29, 2022, 09:28:14 AM »
Wall rides don't count if you touch the wall and should be redone. Touching the wall with you hands is the same as blatant tapping during a manual. Redo it

biaherl

• Rep: 267
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #2764 on: October 29, 2022, 10:07:05 AM »
Wall rides don't count if you touch the wall and should be redone. Touching the wall with you hands is the same as blatant tapping during a manual. Redo it

Had a friend try to tell me that once

...once

dannyprovolone

« Reply #2765 on: October 29, 2022, 10:10:01 AM »

facts

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2766 on: October 29, 2022, 11:51:02 AM »
Vand sk8 lows look better than half cabs

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #2767 on: October 29, 2022, 12:20:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

facts

How about touching the floor

@0:55

bigolboii

• Rep: -11
« Reply #2768 on: October 30, 2022, 06:04:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

...once
Times have changed. Skateboarding has matured. Gonz has the only proper wall ride in those photos
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 06:15:54 AM by bigolboii »

PisstickleTypeExperience

• Rep: -1
« Reply #2769 on: October 30, 2022, 08:54:30 AM »
The Deathwish handshake with the double slap fist bump is the corniest shit in the fucking universe

pleasent street

• Rep: -91
« Reply #2770 on: October 30, 2022, 09:36:16 AM »
Chris Gregson has bad style and his follow filming sucks

i think his style is fine/good but his outfits make him look ridiculous. i saw him irl once and thought he was a girl for a long time until he got closer.

lilyung

• Rep: -8
« Reply #2771 on: October 30, 2022, 02:13:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

...once
[close]
Times have changed. Skateboarding has matured. Gonz has the only proper wall ride in those photos

Ion know bout that man. Wallrides go vertical and vert gets more of a pass for hand usage.

No hand contact wallrides are much more pretty forsure.

Jake Johnson's double set wallride in Mindfield 🤌🤌🤌

Lester Bullocks

• Rep: 18
« Reply #2772 on: October 30, 2022, 09:05:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

...once
[close]
[close]

Ion know bout that man. Wallrides go vertical and vert gets more of a pass for hand usage.

It's beyond rad but don't you mean Jake Johnson's double set steep bank ride?

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
« Reply #2773 on: October 31, 2022, 03:20:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

...once
[close]
[close]

[close]

thats not in mindfield, homer. but that would be hilarious if thats what he meant.

Lester Bullocks

• Rep: 18
« Reply #2774 on: October 31, 2022, 08:31:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

...once
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

thats not in mindfield, homer. but that would be hilarious if thats what he meant.
Aw shit my bad, I was on a bunch of pot last night when I typed that and confused my footage.  No to mention there are plenty of jokers out there who refer to the stunt I referenced as a wallride.

pleasent street

• Rep: -91
« Reply #2775 on: October 31, 2022, 08:01:46 PM »
cedric pabich tries way too hard.

Very Bev

• Rep: -6
« Reply #2776 on: October 31, 2022, 09:19:59 PM »
I was surprised to find out that disliking magenta was an unpopular opinion according to recent slap threads. What happened guys, ya went soft…

livin on a speyer

« Reply #2777 on: October 31, 2022, 09:55:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i think his style is fine/good but his outfits make him look ridiculous. i saw him irl once and thought he was a girl for a long time until he got closer.
His outfit is at least better than the big boy pants look.

IpathCats

« Reply #2778 on: November 01, 2022, 06:51:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
His outfit is at least better than the big boy pants look.

Would love to see him and Aleka Lang/John Shannahan trade fits.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2779 on: November 02, 2022, 08:50:18 AM »
People who hate on && and talk about inclusivity in skating are hypocrites. It's basically like saying "all are welcome, and by all I mean the minorities and sub-groups that align with my tastes and interests".

I listened to like 10min of him talking about his new board and it was horrible. I don't like his style and can't watch his skating. It's fairly corny, but he seems genuine about it and just as much space should exist for him to do his thing as any other skater.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #2780 on: November 02, 2022, 09:19:47 AM »
^ I sincerely hope that's not an unpopular opinion. Maybe I'm naive, but I read most of the stuff people post about him as tongue-in-cheek. Bill Simmons coined the phrase sports-hate for teams or player you can't stand, but obviously don't hate in the actual sense of the word. I think a lot of people on here, myself included, skate-hate &&. But  he should definitely have a space in skating and there's far worse people to look up to for young kids than him. Skating slow af and doing tictacs instead of rollaways will never be cool, but not every skater has to be. It's enough to just skate.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #2781 on: November 02, 2022, 09:39:43 AM »
I was surprised to find out that disliking magenta was an unpopular opinion according to recent slap threads. What happened guys, ya went soft…

Magenta is in my top 3 for sure, was also surprised when i found out a lot of people here arent down for it.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #2782 on: November 02, 2022, 09:46:31 AM »
People who hate on && and talk about inclusivity in skating are hypocrites. It's basically like saying "all are welcome, and by all I mean the minorities and sub-groups that align with my tastes and interests".

I listened to like 10min of him talking about his new board and it was horrible. I don't like his style and can't watch his skating. It's fairly corny, but he seems genuine about it and just as much space should exist for him to do his thing as any other skater.

lmao what the hell is this

People that hate on Andy (yourself included) are doing so based on his character and his actions/behavior. That's like, pretty much the only reasonable basis to dislike someone. Comparing that to how minorities are treated is sus as hell.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 327
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2783 on: November 02, 2022, 10:02:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

People that hate on Andy (yourself included) are doing so based on his character and his actions/behavior. That's like, pretty much the only reasonable basis to dislike someone. Comparing that to how minorities are treated is sus as hell.

Wait wut?
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #2784 on: November 02, 2022, 10:05:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Wait wut?

Hating on an individual for the way they behave does not conflict with thinking that skateboarding should be inclusive to minorities/sub-groups.

quackquack

• Rep: -408
« Reply #2785 on: November 02, 2022, 10:10:43 AM »

You gotta keep tabs on who is saying what.

Who is anti-&&, pro inclusion, and heartily advocates for minorities?

Not saying they don't exist, but blanket statements regarding slap inconsistencies are... bad times.

Plus, people hate to be called out, which is great entertainment for me and my depraved notion of fun. Please don't take my dopamine away.
Oh, the places you'll go.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2786 on: November 02, 2022, 11:04:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Wait wut?
[close]

Hating on an individual for the way they behave does not conflict with thinking that skateboarding should be inclusive to minorities/sub-groups.

Let me clarify:

I don't like hearing about his shape. His style of skating doesn't appeal to me. I think he gets more scrutiny for doing tricks that don't look good/traditional than people from other areas of skating do. Any time he puts out anything at all he gets dragged through the mud here.

Andy is clearly a white dude and not from the LGBTQ+ community, so he is from a highly represented demographic. It's not a 1:1 comparison. In terms of skateboarding, he does tricks from a weird realm that isn't considered common and mixes it with stuff that sorta is. He surrounds himself with people that are not "cool". I wasn't clear on that as it was a morning shit post.

Simply put I just wish people would make it less of a point contributing to toxic dialogue about the things they dislike, whatever that may be. Endless circle jerks hating on && (or whatever) are just karma-farming opportunities none of the actual dialogue does anything positive. I am definitely guilty of this myself and often think back to how when I was a kid getting into skating there wasn't space to like things that were not considered cool or normal, which extended to styles and disciplines of skating. It was this immature, exclusive dialogue that has gotten far better over time, but still pops up and I wish it didn't.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #2787 on: November 02, 2022, 11:17:49 AM »
I don’t have an issue with the dude existing in skateboarding but his tricks aren’t my thing. Not particularly stoked on all his click bait vids that YouTube tries to get me to click on

IpathCats

« Reply #2788 on: November 02, 2022, 11:22:59 AM »
I don’t have an issue with the dude existing in skateboarding but his tricks aren’t my thing. Not particularly stoked on all his click bait vids that YouTube tries to get me to click on

Dan Corrigan's*

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #2789 on: November 02, 2022, 11:59:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Dan Corrigan's*
Him too. But I see Andy in those NKA vids and nine club experience vids which I guess aren’t clickbait but I’m not interested in