Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 186176 times)

BurgerCop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #2850 on: November 11, 2022, 04:11:17 PM »
I'd rather go skate with Worble than whatever coolguy team everyone is fanboying out over these days.
They seem more fun, and as far as I know...that's kinda the point of skateboarding?

greenbeans

« Reply #2851 on: November 11, 2022, 04:14:42 PM »
The state where skating now is depressing

Grrrreencans

• Rep: -85
« Reply #2852 on: November 11, 2022, 04:16:59 PM »
The Tyshawn discussion is kinda going on too long just getting started

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2853 on: November 11, 2022, 04:57:36 PM »
Worble feels like they are just trying to push the "we're a fun crew" thing too hard and are riding on Cookie's coattails. Mull is good, but if it wasn't for Cookie in their vids the shine wouldn't be on him. The Cobra Man stuff is 2003 level cringe irony.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -333
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2854 on: November 11, 2022, 05:02:57 PM »
Expand Quote
dystopia? now we’re talkin overrated
[close]
Disrupt > Dystopia rule’s
Whoa whoa whoa whoa there hoss Dystopia is/was the best crust band ever.  Toxic Narcotic is a ripoff of Disrupt, there I said it.
Dueces Bitch's

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #2855 on: November 11, 2022, 05:54:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Worble is some whack ass shit
[close]
some of the worst kookiest shit in skateboarding
[close]

They also don't have their stuff in skate shops, but have pro boards? The only place you can really get their stuff is surprise surprise, their own website or Zumiez. Maybe the odd surf/skate/inline shop.
My local has carried their stuff. Worble is rad I don’t know what you guys are talking about

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #2856 on: November 11, 2022, 07:33:45 PM »
Expand Quote
The Es Koston 1 is the most overrated shoe of all time both for function and fashion. There is no need for them to come back. Any trick ever done in them would of looked better in plain black accells and anyone who bought them would of been better off saving some money and getting accells. (And I don't even really like accells)
[close]

You weren't in 7th grade when they came out I take it? They were actually thinner and less puffy than Accels and skated really well I actually liked all of Koston's eS shoes but the K3 was not durable.
Not when they came out but started high school in the peak tony hawk's game years so literally everyone had skate gear. Maybe people puffed them out too much. I'm just thinking if you rewatch menikmati the accells look way better and I've seen people complaining a bit lately about the version es recently released that it's not the exact ones from back then.
Did get to see the skate trend instantly die and be replaced with Ali g trend so that's something...

vinithebr

• Rep: -20
« Reply #2857 on: November 11, 2022, 09:25:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
People who hate on && and talk about inclusivity in skating are hypocrites. It's basically like saying "all are welcome, and by all I mean the minorities and sub-groups that align with my tastes and interests".

I listened to like 10min of him talking about his new board and it was horrible. I don't like his style and can't watch his skating. It's fairly corny, but he seems genuine about it and just as much space should exist for him to do his thing as any other skater.
[close]

lmao what the hell is this

People that hate on Andy (yourself included) are doing so based on his character and his actions/behavior. That's like, pretty much the only reasonable basis to dislike someone. Comparing that to how minorities are treated is sus as hell.
[close]

Wait wut?
[close]

Hating on an individual for the way they behave does not conflict with thinking that skateboarding should be inclusive to minorities/sub-groups.
[close]

Let me clarify:

I don't like hearing about his shape. His style of skating doesn't appeal to me. I think he gets more scrutiny for doing tricks that don't look good/traditional than people from other areas of skating do. Any time he puts out anything at all he gets dragged through the mud here.

Andy is clearly a white dude and not from the LGBTQ+ community, so he is from a highly represented demographic. It's not a 1:1 comparison. In terms of skateboarding, he does tricks from a weird realm that isn't considered common and mixes it with stuff that sorta is. He surrounds himself with people that are not "cool". I wasn't clear on that as it was a morning shit post.

Simply put I just wish people would make it less of a point contributing to toxic dialogue about the things they dislike, whatever that may be. Endless circle jerks hating on && (or whatever) are just karma-farming opportunities none of the actual dialogue does anything positive. I am definitely guilty of this myself and often think back to how when I was a kid getting into skating there wasn't space to like things that were not considered cool or normal, which extended to styles and disciplines of skating. It was this immature, exclusive dialogue that has gotten far better over time, but still pops up and I wish it didn't.

Just quickly giving my 2 cents, as an '&& hater':
If anything I got some minuses for hating on the guy. I couldn't resist cause for a while I thought everyone loved him, so reading some of those threads was refreshing.
What I posted was some random weak hate too, I checked back and I just said I dislike how he gets so much extra attention for doing common freestyle stuff.
But I can see it getting weird when the hate is towards his appearance and how some minorities can end up in a similar spot.

And as for my unpopular entry:
Pressure flip is an underrated trick. You can actually pop and catch it high, it has that cool inward motion and it doesn't even destroy your shoe.

Lostdog

• Rep: -30
« Reply #2858 on: November 11, 2022, 09:44:14 PM »
Oh great, here we go with the fuckin HC enjoyers sucking their own dicks over what band is the most HC. Nobody cares morons. It’s all shite

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #2859 on: November 11, 2022, 09:59:42 PM »
Average skateboarder who wears a dystopia t shirt probably just wears it for the cool-factor rather than actually liking dystopia or any other crust punk. Dystopia t shirts are the new black flag t shirts
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

dannyprovolone

« Reply #2860 on: November 12, 2022, 05:25:33 AM »
bobby puleo has better style than gino

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #2861 on: November 12, 2022, 05:38:59 AM »
“cool guy” is the most insecure thing anyone could type on here

During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

quackquack

• Rep: -407
« Reply #2862 on: November 12, 2022, 09:21:53 AM »

1-800-suicide-prevention-hotline

Please Danny Provalone, seek help before it's too late.
Oh, the places you'll go.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 772
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #2863 on: November 12, 2022, 10:38:35 AM »
Average skateboarder who wears a dystopia t shirt probably just wears it for the cool-factor rather than actually liking dystopia or any other crust punk. Dystopia t shirts are the new black flag t shirts
Andrew Wilson is guilty. Looks like his parents are well to do real estate agents or something.

Kinda wish he would just embrace the yacht core look instead of cosplaying.  Fill the void Josh Wilson left.

nothing's been the since same

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2864 on: November 12, 2022, 01:57:20 PM »
most skaters wearing dickies can't even counter sink screws......

if I had to rather like that band or just wear the t-shirt....t-shirt it is......

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • no not never. looser.
« Reply #2865 on: November 12, 2022, 02:04:57 PM »
rich people can’t enjoy music? is that the take?

We’re not talking about Abba here. Love abba btw.

He can like the music.

I’m not a dystopia fan, but I like crass, aus rotten, flux of pink Indians etc. crust has a moral and political alignment and fans have a tendency to not be from well to do supportive nuclear families. Up the ponX

dannyprovolone

« Reply #2866 on: November 12, 2022, 02:59:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

1-800-suicide-prevention-hotline

Please Danny Provalone, seek help before it's too late.

are you one of the guys who copped the boxing shoe? I’m sorry for your loss

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2867 on: November 12, 2022, 03:04:35 PM »
The state where skating now is depressing

Having lived through three decades of skateboarding, I've heard this take in literally all of them.
May have even said it myself once or twice when I was young.

Skateboarding and the state thereof is only as depressing as you make it for yourself.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2868 on: November 12, 2022, 03:08:31 PM »

No, it's not.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1225
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2869 on: November 12, 2022, 03:10:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Disrupt > Dystopia
nah but capitalist casualties > disrupt

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2870 on: November 12, 2022, 03:32:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Disrupt > Dystopia

It's so cute that skaters are just getting into crust, grind, black metal, etc and making sure we know it by wearing bootleg reprints. Aidan Mackey is the worst.

switchfakie

« Reply #2871 on: November 12, 2022, 07:18:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Disrupt > Dystopia
[close]

It's so cute that skaters are just getting into crust, grind, black metal, etc and making sure we know it by wearing bootleg reprints. Aidan Mackey is the worst.

on a tangent, if a band (not limited to those goth rock and roller genres you long haired folk enjoy) isnt selling merch, i never saw the problem with making your own shit. in my eyes its just more marketing for them and a creative outlet for yourself. their loss for trying to be exclusive or not having their shit together to not be able to have a distro service for their merch

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #2872 on: November 12, 2022, 08:46:21 PM »
most skaters wearing dickies can't even counter sink screws......

You need to come around Sacto/Yuba/Chico.
 Pretty much the ones wearing them are in concrete work, iron workers, auto industry, construction, or electrical maintenance. Lots of blue collar skaters around here. We don’t need to cosplay.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #2873 on: November 13, 2022, 07:13:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Andrew Wilson is guilty. Looks like his parents are well to do real estate agents or something.

Kinda wish he would just embrace the yacht core look instead of cosplaying.  Fill the void Josh Wilson left.

The only reason I listened to Dystopia in the 90s was because my friend whose parents were rich enough to own a Picasso got me into them.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • no not never. looser.
« Reply #2874 on: November 13, 2022, 08:22:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The only reason I listened to Dystopia in the 90s was because my friend whose parents were rich enough to own a Picasso got me into them.

Surrealism is pretty Crust.

Andre Breton would have loved chumbawamba

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2875 on: November 13, 2022, 01:45:37 PM »
Maybe not unpopular but Manny Santiago isn't a great announcer.
Shows extremely obvious bias for skaters he is tight with, and all the little jokes and puns about foreign skater's names get old really fast.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 738
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2876 on: November 13, 2022, 06:48:06 PM »
For something to be considered a line, there needs to be at least three separate tricks.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #2877 on: November 14, 2022, 06:28:56 AM »

There's obviously exceptions, but in my experience most of the people I meet who think they're being "cool guy'd" are the ones making a social interaction unpleasant.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #2878 on: November 14, 2022, 06:31:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Surrealism is pretty Crust.

Andre Breton would have loved chumbawamba

trust punks are the absolute worst people

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #2879 on: November 14, 2022, 06:56:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There's obviously exceptions, but in my experience most of the people I meet who think they're being "cool guy'd" are the ones making a social interaction unpleasant.
real