Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 183791 times)

Welpok

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 11
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #2910 on: November 20, 2022, 08:07:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
For something to be considered a line, there needs to be at least three separate tricks.
[close]

Say someone does a kickflip backtail on a ledge, then pushes down the street and nollieflips a big gap, you wouldn't consider that a line? I'm genuinely curious.
[close]

As some one who also adheres to the three trick rule. I would, not. Just a 2 piece

[close]

"2 piece" is the cringiest phrase in skateboarding right now
For me, it's the phrase "new learn"
SLAP: come for the gossip, stay for the lk130 Stylin’ On You attempts

“More celebrities know of me than I know of them.” -James T. Greco

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #2911 on: November 20, 2022, 08:15:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
For something to be considered a line, there needs to be at least three separate tricks.
[close]

Say someone does a kickflip backtail on a ledge, then pushes down the street and nollieflips a big gap, you wouldn't consider that a line? I'm genuinely curious.
[close]

As some one who also adheres to the three trick rule. I would, not. Just a 2 piece

[close]

[close]
For me, it's the phrase "new learn"
"New learn"s gotta be from anime nerds wanting to sound Japanese. Is get/new get still a thing

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #2912 on: November 20, 2022, 09:24:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
if curb grinds/slides (aka skating a curb like a ledge) aren't acceptable in real video parts, why are manual tricks on curb manual pads acceptable in real video parts? people skate that manny pad in NYC that's just a curb median in the middle of the street all the time in big videos, but if someone did a ledge trick on the side of it, it would be a no go. there should be some consistency there imo. either anything on curbs is cool, or none of it.
[close]

I wanna bring this back and say that I think if someone started doing it in a cool way, everybody would be down. It's just that no one dared to do it yet.
How could it be less sick than (low) ride on grinds?

On the other side, I'm thinking that skating a curb high ledge isn't easier than skating a higher one, so there's not really a point. Might be way harder for many tricks.
[close]

Donovon skates a tall curb like a ledge in Hockey X iirc. Wallie a trashcan out of a curb cut to the street then kf back tail on a red curb. A tall one but still. Then next line he goes the other way. No one had an issue with it
[close]

Mike Arnold does a swbsnb on a curb in London into some sort of curbcut

https://youtu.be/uORJXs9ZFEI

Does anyone really say that curb tricks aren't valid? That was a consensus opinion nearly 20 years ago, but given that basically every pro skater will post themselves doing curb tricks and many of them will throw curb tricks into a part, I don't think anyone really believes that. I mean we all know Suciu can 5-0 a kinked rail and switch tailslide the blubba, so if he tosses a big spin to 50-50 on a curb, is anyone like "THAT'S NOT VALID!!!!"
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2913 on: November 20, 2022, 09:31:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
if curb grinds/slides (aka skating a curb like a ledge) aren't acceptable in real video parts, why are manual tricks on curb manual pads acceptable in real video parts? people skate that manny pad in NYC that's just a curb median in the middle of the street all the time in big videos, but if someone did a ledge trick on the side of it, it would be a no go. there should be some consistency there imo. either anything on curbs is cool, or none of it.
[close]

I wanna bring this back and say that I think if someone started doing it in a cool way, everybody would be down. It's just that no one dared to do it yet.

On the other side, I'm thinking that skating a curb high ledge isn't easier than skating a higher one, so there's not really a point. Might be way harder for many tricks.
[close]

Donovon skates a tall curb like a ledge in Hockey X iirc. Wallie a trashcan out of a curb cut to the street then kf back tail on a red curb. A tall one but still. Then next line he goes the other way. No one had an issue with it
[close]

[close]

Does anyone really say that curb tricks aren't valid? That was a consensus opinion nearly 20 years ago, but given that basically every pro skater will post themselves doing curb tricks and many of them will throw curb tricks into a part, I don't think anyone really believes that. I mean we all know Suciu can 5-0 a kinked rail and switch tailslide the blubba, so if he tosses a big spin to 50-50 on a curb, is anyone like "THAT'S NOT VALID!!!!"
I think it would only matter if someone filmed a single trick on a curb and even then it would just be like "uuhhh why?" And if the answer was something like it's the curb behind their mums place or something people would prob actually be more into it than a random bench,ledge etc

vinithebr

• Rep: -25
« Reply #2914 on: November 20, 2022, 07:30:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
nah, referring to things as "wet"
What about "fat"?

IpathCats

« Reply #2915 on: November 20, 2022, 07:44:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Guilty.

But I also talk about wheelbase in public, so I'm clearly not too worried about it.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #2916 on: November 20, 2022, 07:54:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Seeing dudes on Polar do gap to grinds on curbs is all I need to consider them as valid.

IpathCats

« Reply #2917 on: November 20, 2022, 07:55:38 PM »
Dunks aren't that great to skate in tbh.

There, I said it.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2918 on: November 20, 2022, 10:22:35 PM »

There, I said it.
It has been 30 months so I was almost coming back around to dunks. What's the good mid/high cupsole shoe now? All I can see are tyshawns (which are kinda ugly) or DC pure mids (which just look like aldi dunks)

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2919 on: November 20, 2022, 10:53:48 PM »
Expand Quote

There, I said it.
[close]
It has been 30 months so I was almost coming back around to dunks. What's the good mid/high cupsole shoe now? All I can see are tyshawns (which are kinda ugly) or DC pure mids (which just look like aldi dunks)

Tom Knox makes those NB 440 highs look lovely.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -453
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2920 on: November 20, 2022, 11:14:11 PM »

There, I said it.

I got a pair back in 09 because they were on sale in my local and gave up on them after a week because it felt like skating in construction boots, I wish I had the heart to get hurt again because they look great

Fall is the most overrated season for skating, I don’t mind the cold but getting a leaf caught in your wheel that you can’t powerslide out sucks. When it makes that annoying screeching sound I will stop and take it out before I try anything, biggest pet peeve in skating by far, tarnishes my enjoyment of the whole season tbh

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #2921 on: November 20, 2022, 11:38:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

2 tricks = combo
3+ tricks = line

[close]

Exactly.
[close]
It's not the tricks but the spots. 4 tricks on flat isn't a line but 1 trick then bomb a hill is

4 tricks on flat in a row is a flatground line, bombing a hill after a trick doesn’t make it a line, the hill is part of the trick, not separate
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2922 on: November 21, 2022, 12:19:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

2 tricks = combo
3+ tricks = line

[close]

Exactly.
[close]
It's not the tricks but the spots. 4 tricks on flat isn't a line but 1 trick then bomb a hill is
[close]

4 tricks on flat in a row is a flatground line, bombing a hill after a trick doesn’t make it a line, the hill is part of the trick, not separate
Simple difference of opinion. To me the line is a route from a to b and you do tricks to spice it up. Bombing a hill by itself is a type of line.
I guess technically the flatground line is a line but you rode on flat across a basketball court or parking lot? Who cares may as well be freestyle.

IpathCats

« Reply #2923 on: November 21, 2022, 06:22:05 AM »
Expand Quote

There, I said it.
[close]

Converse fastbreaks

Others will mention the NB 440, but its VERY thin, feels like a vulc.

I mainly skate used Jordan 1's i cop off ebay

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #2924 on: November 21, 2022, 06:39:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
nah, referring to things as "wet"
[close]
What about "fat"?
It’s pronounced “sick” and it’s spelled with a p - h

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2925 on: November 21, 2022, 06:42:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

There, I said it.
[close]
[close]

Converse fastbreaks

The 440 is great but I recommend adding a different insole. The Crockett high is also worth mentioning. More insole padding than a 440 but the upper feels almost sock like. It's fairly floppy after being broken in

IpathCats

« Reply #2926 on: November 21, 2022, 06:44:29 AM »
Vert skating is tighter than most people give it credit for.

And I don't even skate vert.

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #2927 on: November 21, 2022, 06:51:00 AM »
Vert skating is tighter than most people give it credit for.

And I don't even skate vert.
Damn I was watching Lincoln Ueda older stuff and was thinking the same thing friday. Damn that dude could blast some airs.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #2928 on: November 21, 2022, 07:34:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

There, I said it.
[close]
[close]

Converse fastbreaks

[close]

The 440 is great but I recommend adding a different insole. The Crockett high is also worth mentioning. More insole padding than a 440 but the upper feels almost sock like. It's fairly floppy after being broken in

Wanted to love the 440s, got two pairs and they both gave me Achilles blisters. Back to lrab mids and Crockett for me. With a fp insole in em.

Magnolia

• Rep: 412
  • She/They
« Reply #2929 on: November 21, 2022, 08:59:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

There, I said it.
[close]
[close]

Converse fastbreaks

[close]

I'll second the crockett high, they feel great
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

R3dBullRox420

« Reply #2930 on: November 21, 2022, 03:38:23 PM »

Ur overreacting 

crepes

• Rep: -26
« Reply #2931 on: November 21, 2022, 03:57:24 PM »
I say "3 flip" but for an ollie I'll say the whole "fs 360'd" or whatever. What makes my penis flacid is when people abbreviate 180 to "1".
Even more offensive, recently someone said "fs 2 to bsts" short for 270 to backside tail.
Oh and "backside" boardslide or noseslide. the bs is silent.

skatebruh

• Rep: 27
« Reply #2932 on: November 21, 2022, 06:48:11 PM »
It's a ssfs22ssbsts if you go to fakie and a ssfs22fsns if you bring it back to regular.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2933 on: November 21, 2022, 09:16:49 PM »
It's a ssfs22ssbsts if you go to fakie and a ssfs22fsns if you bring it back to regular.
Then you get that whole "do you mean to fakie like to regular or back to switch?" Thing that always comes up with switch whatever to fakie

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -63
« Reply #2934 on: November 22, 2022, 07:23:16 AM »
incessantly complaining about modern filming styles is annoying. if you hate the way skate videos look nowadays just stop watching them... chances are some of your favorite videos were filmed like shit anyhow

That's a lot of words to say "I like Strobek"

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #2935 on: November 22, 2022, 07:26:09 AM »
incessantly complaining about modern filming styles is annoying. if you hate the way skate videos look nowadays just stop watching them... chances are some of your favorite videos were filmed like shit anyhow

People paying $2000 for a 20 year old camera which records in 640x480 gonna criticize others' filming.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -63
« Reply #2936 on: November 22, 2022, 08:15:03 AM »
Sure but, I mean, if we stop complaining and just ignore anything we don't like...then what the hell are we gonna talk about around here? Might as well just shut the whole forum down!

quackquack

• Rep: -379
« Reply #2937 on: November 22, 2022, 08:32:46 AM »
Oh, the places you'll go.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2938 on: November 22, 2022, 09:21:16 AM »

quackquack

• Rep: -379