Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 186222 times)

BurgerCop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #3090 on: December 05, 2022, 08:58:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fat Bills videos are often filmed terribly but are more memorable and impactful than 90% of the edits that go up on thrasher or anything else from the past ten years. He’s also one of the only “brands” consistently doing full lengths
[close]

It's the skaters/locations/songs more than his filming style.

Johnny Wilson would make a better supreme vid than Billy the Fatty.

[close]

Agreed on both points. I actually found the use of Deftones' - Change and Metallica's One pretty tasteful.

Maybe unpopular opinion, I actually didn't love the use of One. I just don't think it pairs well with a relatively low impact part with a lot of manuals. I could see it working well with a Milton part or something gnarlier.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #3091 on: December 05, 2022, 08:59:59 AM »
8)
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Not sure if this is unpopular or just an issue for just a few folks, but I don’t fully understand why people get bent out of shape over people dropping parts for a “SOTY run”.
I’m just stoked to see so much crazy ass footage.

Yeah, I get the whole idea of it being deliberate grabs at the award, but SOTY doesn’t matter whatsoever in the grand scheme of things. It doesn’t harm anyone or anything other than maybe someone’s feelings.

Tl;dr: stop whining about deliberate “SOTY grabs” and just enjoy the insane amount of amazing footage we’re getting.
[close]
Right? Don’t get mad about SOTY Santa he brings fun gifts this time of year
[close]
It's just leftover silliness from the days where skateboarders had to be too cool. You aren't allowed to ever try or have goals you just have to somehow be naturally the best and let the big boys come to you and tell you you're in when theyre good and ready
As long as they’re not dicks about it people should be proud of their ability. Weird we can’t let people say it out loud

IpathCats

« Reply #3092 on: December 05, 2022, 09:51:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fat Bills videos are often filmed terribly but are more memorable and impactful than 90% of the edits that go up on thrasher or anything else from the past ten years. He’s also one of the only “brands” consistently doing full lengths
[close]

[close]

Agreed on both points. I actually found the use of Deftones' - Change and Metallica's One pretty tasteful.
[close]

Maybe unpopular opinion, I actually didn't love the use of One. I just don't think it pairs well with a relatively low impact part with a lot of manuals. I could see it working well with a Milton part or something gnarlier.

Would have been better if it was just nik stains part. and they left the gnarly spot super high speed stuff for the heavy section. but i still enjoyed it

know_your_role

• Rep: 10
« Reply #3093 on: December 06, 2022, 12:45:36 AM »
everytime i see tj footage i think of the james harden quote where he's talking about giannis and he says "i wish i could just run and dunk, that takes no skill at all"

i'm genetically gifted at jumping. can dunk, get comments from randoms at the park every time i skate saying "that's the highest kickflip i've ever seen" or whatever, but i'm not even good at skating i just have monumental pop. i always feel like a fraud for getting undue praise for something that i was kind of born with

obviously the harden quote is pure cope, giannis has worked hard to develop his game and has a chip as a result. and life isn't fair with the hand you get

but the amount of tj dickriding is so bad. he can do stuff most people will never physically be able to do, and that's cool. everyone loves the dunk contest

but the guys with the highest vertical in the nba aren't winning mvp

skill-wise he isn't close to louie or nigel

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1188
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3094 on: December 06, 2022, 06:35:06 AM »
everytime i see tj footage i think of the james harden quote where he's talking about giannis and he says "i wish i could just run and dunk, that takes no skill at all"

i'm genetically gifted at jumping. can dunk, get comments from randoms at the park every time i skate saying "that's the highest kickflip i've ever seen" or whatever, but i'm not even good at skating i just have monumental pop. i always feel like a fraud for getting undue praise for something that i was kind of born with

obviously the harden quote is pure cope, giannis has worked hard to develop his game and has a chip as a result. and life isn't fair with the hand you get

but the amount of tj dickriding is so bad. he can do stuff most people will never physically be able to do, and that's cool. everyone loves the dunk contest

but the guys with the highest vertical in the nba aren't winning mvp

skill-wise he isn't close to louie or nigel

I don’t think skating has ever been about how big your dad is
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3095 on: December 06, 2022, 07:28:41 AM »
"bad" skating is way more fun to watch and it brings me more joy than any pros footage

I just like good videos. People having fun doing simpler tricks can be a great watch, but it's also cool to see people do mind-blowing shit that pushes the limits of what is possible on a skateboard.
Similarly, I like going to a fancy steakhouse, but I'll still happily fuck up some Waffle House.
I like a lot of low-budget indy films, but I still watch plenty of massive blockbusters.
You're entitled to your preferences, but to me they don't scratch the same itch so it could never be either/or.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #3096 on: December 06, 2022, 07:31:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

thought the same thing on my first watch but it grew on me though I could see fuckin' Filipe Ortiz skate to it in 2007 or whatever

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3097 on: December 06, 2022, 07:34:30 AM »
I can't stand SOTY season and the entire discussion it makes me not give a shit about whatever parts are in the running.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #3098 on: December 06, 2022, 07:37:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
"bad" skating is way more fun to watch and it brings me more joy than any pros footage
[close]

I have the opposite opinion. I wish less people filmed skating in general, social media is just inundated with shitty skaters looking for validation. I only appreciate skating in its highest form which is great skating and good filming.
[close]
keyword validation
i think skating should die a little bit just so the incessant dogshit fades away a little, seeing total beginners do wack shit at wack spots just so they can post on instagram gets really old
seeing people having fun skating doing "simple" tricks well is more what i mean

Have you considered that you could not watch skateboarding you don't like?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #3099 on: December 06, 2022, 07:43:15 AM »
TJ is miles more interesting than Louie or Nyjah ( ::)) because of the shit he can't do. He's been putting out parts for more than a decade now and I swear his first switch push on camera came out this month. He's not dexterous. He's not crooking for miles. He's a guy with incredible skill who's still clearly fighting for all the tricks he gets.

I'm biased though that Louie UC spitfire part was so boring man I don't even wanna watch the converse thing
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

IpathCats

« Reply #3100 on: December 08, 2022, 01:02:54 PM »
I think my biggest takeaway from this years SOTY race is that i dont think footage from prior years should count.

I know this might be an UNPOPULAR OPINION (i said the thing), but let me explain.

The race for SOTY and its criteria are already vague enough, some clarity would help IMO. Most people (myself included) dont like that it seems to have become basically a "who can put out the most/best footy in nov/dec of that year" award. Putting a limit on SOTY to being just what you did that year would not only more closely reflect what people think the award should mean, but it would also change up the whole releasing a bunch of parts at the end of the year META since people couldnt just stack clips forever.

Which leads to my next point, we already see how calculated this race has become, what do you think it will be like 10 years in the future? Dudes will just be holding onto footy for like fucking 5-10 years and releasing hour long parts of enders in December. I dont think anyone wants that, nor do they think thats what SOTY means.

I hereby officially withdraw footage from prior years from my consideration for SOTY.

GET REGULATED.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #3101 on: December 08, 2022, 01:04:59 PM »
Literally every skater who has ever won SOTY did so on the basis of footage collected over the previous years.

Also all this "who should win SOTY" talk is silly because Michael Burnett is going to choose whoever he wants.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Roy Machine

• Rep: -5
« Reply #3102 on: December 08, 2022, 01:33:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks, I also found the mix of One and those low impact manual tricks weird. Would have been a great fit for a Nyjah part  ::)

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #3103 on: December 08, 2022, 02:24:12 PM »
Literally every skater who has ever won SOTY did so on the basis of footage collected over the previous years.

Also all this "who should win SOTY" talk is silly because Michael Burnett is going to choose whoever he wants. cuts the biggest check.

First part is definitely true, though.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1325
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3104 on: December 08, 2022, 03:47:17 PM »
I think my biggest takeaway from this years SOTY race is that i dont think footage from prior years should count.

I know this might be an UNPOPULAR OPINION (i said the thing), but let me explain.

The race for SOTY and its criteria are already vague enough, some clarity would help IMO. Most people (myself included) dont like that it seems to have become basically a "who can put out the most/best footy in nov/dec of that year" award. Putting a limit on SOTY to being just what you did that year would not only more closely reflect what people think the award should mean, but it would also change up the whole releasing a bunch of parts at the end of the year META since people couldnt just stack clips forever.

Which leads to my next point, we already see how calculated this race has become, what do you think it will be like 10 years in the future? Dudes will just be holding onto footy for like fucking 5-10 years and releasing hour long parts of enders in December. I dont think anyone wants that, nor do they think thats what SOTY means.

I hereby officially withdraw footage from prior years from my consideration for SOTY.

GET REGULATED.
Job creator. Somebody could maybe get a job authenticating clips for Price Waterhouse Coopers based on shoes and gear and what seasons they would or wouldn't be available
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

IpathCats

« Reply #3105 on: December 08, 2022, 07:35:17 PM »

Also all this "who should win SOTY" talk is silly because Michael Burnett is going to choose whoever he wants.

You're not wrong, I'm just being idealistic.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1074
« Reply #3106 on: December 08, 2022, 07:45:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

We all know SOTY is a thrasher popularity contest. And thrasher is invested in picking image appropriate skaters.

I think skating is in its most jockish form when debating potential SOTY.

It’s still fun though

quackquack

• Rep: -408
« Reply #3107 on: December 08, 2022, 08:00:16 PM »

Comments like these are keeping you from getting my POTY vote.

Is my opinion a joke to you???
Oh, the places you'll go.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3108 on: December 09, 2022, 10:44:49 AM »
I’ve had Spitfire formula fours a few times in recent years but they never felt different than the generic CCS wheels I used to buy

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #3109 on: December 09, 2022, 10:46:52 AM »
I’ve had Spitfire formula fours a few times in recent years but they never felt different than the generic CCS wheels I used to buy

Either you don't ever slide or I need those ccs wheels

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #3110 on: December 09, 2022, 11:22:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

We all know SOTY is a thrasher popularity contest. And thrasher is invested in picking image appropriate skaters.

I think skating is in its most jockish form when debating potential SOTY.

It’s still fun though
This
But I didn’t think Thrasher would become that jockish

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3111 on: December 09, 2022, 11:24:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Either you don't ever slide or I need those ccs wheels
I honestly have never noticed a difference in how wheels slide. Maybe it’s just me

veritas

« Reply #3112 on: December 09, 2022, 02:26:05 PM »
Not enough SOTY threads right now, we need more

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3113 on: December 09, 2022, 02:53:35 PM »
Not enough SOTY threads right now, we need more

There isn't a "who deserved SOTY but didn't get it" thread.
Or "who is SOTD (skater of the decade)"
Or "who is the over 30 SOTY"
Or "who is the under 20 SOTY"
Or "which SOTY is the most romantic, you know, like he really makes you feel like the most important person in the world, as though time and space have ceased to exist and it's just you and him floating through eternity forever and ever"

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Roy Machine

• Rep: -5
« Reply #3114 on: December 09, 2022, 03:03:41 PM »
The kickflip ist harder than the bs flip

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3115 on: December 09, 2022, 04:35:52 PM »

Interesting. I'm a kickflip guy. Like I devote a lot of time and effort into ensuring I always have a big, poppy, floaty kickflip. It's literally the thing I spend the most time refining. I spend the first 30 minutes of any given session just skating around doing kickflips. I hate my backside flips. I can do them but I never feel good about them.
But then, I want my backside flips to almost look like a backside 180 dragonflip, like I try to fold them a bit.
When I do them the normal way I always over rotate a bit and have to tic tac. Drives me crazy.
When I get them to flip more horizontally I can actually stomp them bolts with no tic tac, but it's wayyyyy harder.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #3116 on: December 09, 2022, 04:38:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Interesting. I'm a kickflip guy. Like I devote a lot of time and effort into ensuring I always have a big, poppy, floaty kickflip. It's literally the thing I spend the most time refining. I spend the first 30 minutes of any given session just skating around doing kickflips. I hate my backside flips. I can do them but I never feel good about them.
But then, I want my backside flips to almost look like a backside 180 dragonflip, like I try to fold them a bit.
When I do them the normal way I always over rotate a bit and have to tic tac. Drives me crazy.
When I get them to flip more horizontally I can actually stomp them bolts with no tic tac, but it's wayyyyy harder.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3117 on: December 09, 2022, 04:41:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Hahaha DOLPHIN not dragon. Goddamnit.
I'm still learning all these weird circus trick names...

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #3118 on: December 09, 2022, 04:48:09 PM »
Eh just call it a forward flip. Sounds less youtube vloggerish

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1325
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3119 on: December 09, 2022, 06:08:50 PM »
Yeah I had no idea what a dragon flip was and I felt Ok about that
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.