Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 185136 times)

vinithebr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -23
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #3210 on: December 25, 2022, 04:46:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Trick where you skate through dirt should be considered very ILLEGAL. Nothing makes me cringe more than seeing that shit.
[close]
Hard disagree. Dane Brady does that several times in a polar video and that’s one of my favorite parts

If the problem is waste I cannot see how that is worse than focusing.

Which would be my entry but I don't think it's an unpopular opinion.
It's somewhat understandable in heated moments, but doing it just because you can sucks.

I just watched a Foy edit yesterday in the vids section and 3 minutes after a land with everyone all happy and shit he breaks his board, with his ass which was pretty funny, but annoying regardless.

sle_epy

• Rep: -94
« Reply #3211 on: December 28, 2022, 10:00:55 AM »
tfunks pantaloon cut is way goofier than nyjah but not as silly as ben kadow

Kadow dresses interesting but it doesn't look cool to me like others seem to think. It looks like he's trying way too hard.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #3212 on: December 28, 2022, 10:07:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Kadow dresses interesting but it doesn't look cool to me like others seem to think. It looks like he's trying way too hard.

He dresses like a kid who found out who the sex pistols were 2 weeks ago
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

sle_epy

« Reply #3213 on: December 28, 2022, 10:22:41 AM »
fs180s (transition excepted) are gauche as fuck. really not a good looking trick to me
what's even worse is fs5050 fs180 out, it's every new skater's cool trick but it looks Shit

I feel like it's just a bridge trick to other stuff. Just like kfbs50 is easy to pull off, or ns shuv out. The second two I'd argue can look cool on the right obstacle done by the right skater.

sle_epy

« Reply #3214 on: December 28, 2022, 10:26:27 AM »
landing something on street doesn't make it more impressive than at a park, and you can achieve most if not all you can at a street spot at a park instead, with more people around.

that being said curbs are fun as fuck, and i will never stop leaving the park for the slappy spot.

Skating the Midwest would change your mind.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #3215 on: December 28, 2022, 02:40:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

you clearly only comprehend how neanderthals in the hardcore scene look

Terminal

« Reply #3216 on: December 29, 2022, 05:48:55 AM »
I'd rather rep a Steezy Skate rat hoodie than a Thrasher one...

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #3217 on: December 29, 2022, 10:41:01 AM »
Expand Quote
landing something on street doesn't make it more impressive than at a park, and you can achieve most if not all you can at a street spot at a park instead, with more people around.

that being said curbs are fun as fuck, and i will never stop leaving the park for the slappy spot.
[close]

Or the rust belt, goofy take.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #3218 on: December 29, 2022, 12:09:00 PM »
I don’t know how you guys are finding Mike Burnett’s salary but if you’re just googling Mike Burnett and salary you’re going to find a ton of shit. It’s not that uncommon of a name lol.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -513
« Reply #3219 on: December 29, 2022, 12:35:16 PM »
I don’t know how you guys are finding Mike Burnett’s salary but if you’re just googling Mike Burnett and salary you’re going to find a ton of shit. It’s not that uncommon of a name lol.

I feel like the mid six figures # has been pretty well established, I don’t think it’s from celebritynetworth.com.  The question is if it’s fair that Forrest edwards can’t even afford to light a new cig for each clip, while Burnett sits in a cushy office, getting SOTY wrong in ways that benefit his cooperate benefactors.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #3220 on: December 29, 2022, 02:16:45 PM »
i don’t think it’s fair that you have to subject us to your weird obsession with burnett and tyshawn but that’s how shit goes

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #3221 on: December 29, 2022, 02:50:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel like the mid six figures # has been pretty well established, I don’t think it’s from celebritynetworth.com.  The question is if it’s fair that Forrest edwards can’t even afford to light a new cig for each clip, while Burnett sits in a cushy office, getting SOTY wrong in ways that benefit his cooperate benefactors.

Cushy office?   Have you seen Thrasher offices?   Also, I don’t think he lives in SF and he’s out there on tour and shooting photos.   It’s hardly like he doesn’t do anything and he’s been at it for decades

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3222 on: December 29, 2022, 03:43:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Gasp and on the day Vivienne Westwood died, too!

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #3223 on: December 29, 2022, 04:53:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Gasp and on the day Vivienne Westwood died, too!

"In a certain kind of neighborhood, you might get away with Vivienne Westwood,"

Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3224 on: December 29, 2022, 05:13:53 PM »
i don’t think it’s fair that you have to subject us to your weird obsession with burnett and tyshawn but that’s how shit goes

No idea why you are singling me out, lots of people think mid six figgies is a lot for an editor.  And leave tyshawn out of this, he’s dealing with enough guilt without us digging back up his 2022 scandals.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3225 on: December 29, 2022, 05:18:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Cushy office?   Have you seen Thrasher offices?   Also, I don’t think he lives in SF and he’s out there on tour and shooting photos.   It’s hardly like he doesn’t do anything and he’s been at it for decades

Sam smything it up, eating street food from around the world while broke kids huck themselves seems pretty cushy.  When you’re pulling in (reportedly) mid seis digits, people are gonna wanna see those TPS reports.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3226 on: December 29, 2022, 06:12:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Sam smything it up, eating street food from around the world while broke kids huck themselves seems pretty cushy.  When you’re pulling in (reportedly) mid seis digits, people are gonna wanna see those TPS reports.

Tell me what other editor in chiefs are making at other mags.

Also, what salary do you think a 20+ year employee (he’s probably been Managing Editor for at least 10 of those years) should be earning especially when you consider he was at the helm when it’s brand grew the largest?

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3227 on: December 29, 2022, 09:09:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Also, what salary do you think a 20+ year employee (he’s probably been Managing Editor for at least 10 of those years) should be earning especially when you consider he was at the helm when it’s brand grew the largest?

I don’t know but somewhere in the center of VI digits seems high

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3228 on: December 30, 2022, 02:36:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I don’t know but somewhere in the center of VI digits seems high

What would you think the editor in chief of an international brand/magazine should make?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
« Reply #3229 on: December 30, 2022, 05:45:31 AM »
Where did we get the idea that Burnett makes mid-six figures? Who provided this information? AFAIK Thrasher/HSP is a privately held company so presumably Burnett’s pay is a secret known by a tiny handful of people.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

HiResDes

• Rep: -39
« Reply #3230 on: December 30, 2022, 05:47:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Cincy native here and yes, we have some crusty ass spots

doublesteveburger

« Reply #3231 on: December 30, 2022, 06:04:06 AM »
dude's worked his ass of for decades and continues to do so and you're mad that he has comfortable furniture in his home or whatever

Sid Farkus - Bra Salesman

• Rep: 30
« Reply #3232 on: December 30, 2022, 06:17:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

post a resume
Free Charlie Rambo

Welpok

• Rep: 12
« Reply #3233 on: December 30, 2022, 08:45:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Can confirm. California native that went to skate with friends in the Midwest. Totally different.
Street will always hold more weight over park because the places/things weren't even made for skating. Also, knowing the location of spots is also important. I mean, who wants to see the same trick done by different people? It would make it very stale in my opinion. Anyway, I like skateboarding in general.
SLAP: come for the gossip, stay for the lk130 Stylin’ On You attempts

“More celebrities know of me than I know of them.” -James T. Greco

sle_epy

« Reply #3234 on: December 30, 2022, 08:51:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
Can confirm. California native that went to skate with friends in the Midwest. Totally different.
Street will always hold more weight over park because the places/things weren't even made for skating. Also, knowing the location of spots is also important. I mean, who wants to see the same trick done by different people? It would make it very stale in my opinion. Anyway, I like skateboarding in general.

A "good" day in the street beats a good one in the park. Way more satisfying accomplishment wise regardless of skill level.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
« Reply #3235 on: December 30, 2022, 09:01:53 AM »

I'd rather wear a Rad Rat logo hoodie than both of those combined.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #3236 on: December 30, 2022, 09:38:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'd rather wear a Rad Rat logo hoodie than both of those combined.
I have a rad rat T-shirt. Rad rad puts up some interesting, wholesome vids and I wanted to support.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3237 on: December 30, 2022, 11:22:50 AM »
Nyjah has eaten shit all his life.

He blew me away with his yung bwoi era and more painful than eating shit were the people that dismissed him and his obvious natural talent because his dad seemed to lead him instead of 100% organically finding it independently.

Not medaling at the Olympics when you were a favorite going in had to be a really shitty sandwich to eat.

Every part he put together to win the SOTY contest in his mind that hasn’t given him one as a result.

He is used to eating a lot of shit as a consequence of his obvious love for skateboarding. I’m actually a huge fan but I can see and have seen that his approach to SOTY is not a formula that works.

I hope he heals up quickly so he can get back to eating shit with the rest of us.

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #3238 on: December 30, 2022, 12:05:51 PM »
Duplex 4 was video of the year

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3239 on: December 30, 2022, 03:04:12 PM »
I enjoy ZUBR, Steezy Skateboarding, and Hardest Goods videos