Author Topic: Tony Hawk's Son Is Dating Kurt Cobain's Daughter  (Read 26917 times)

versacekid420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1216
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Tony Hawk's Son Is Dating Kurt Cobain's Daughter
« Reply #150 on: January 13, 2022, 03:30:10 PM »
i bet the elephant in the room is fucking insane. i wonder if he’s asked

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #151 on: January 13, 2022, 03:55:27 PM »
High five to him. Hope it werks out positive. I feel like I would be looking for something like convince Courtney Love to sing on my next mince core effort. Gotta have a reason to step in that shit.

I'm a glutton for punishment too
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

ChrisSennsGirlfriend

• Rep: 126
Mike Anderson is a small town labor union hottie

Giftedly Hater’d

• Rep: 414
« Reply #153 on: January 15, 2022, 06:11:06 AM »
Downloaded one of those baby face generator apps

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #154 on: January 15, 2022, 06:26:20 PM »

"Did your ma have Kurt and El Duce killed?"

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #155 on: January 16, 2022, 06:33:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I will never forget when 14 yo me listened to the weekly rock show on the radio on Wednesday evening (the only time they played heavy rock music on the radio) and they played Smells Like Teen Spirit and Breed from Nevermind that had just came out. I was literally blown away, in particular by Breed. That was something completely new and I just felt I was witnessing something big. The second time this happened was when I listened to the RATM debut album a year later. Those two records changed the musical landscape for years to come. Most heavy/thrash metal bands either switched to grunge and/or what was to become Nu Metal or they just disappeared. Of course that sucked but I still love both Nevermind and the RATM s/t.

What does this have to do with the topic of this thread? Not much I guess. Sorry.
[close]
It was a time and a place. I catch myself talking about them like old burnouts talk about zeppelin.

Nirvana was a huge cultural shift. Single hand-idly killed rock ballads and most of the other bullshit at the time.

I was lucky enough to see nirvana(with the butthole surfers) and RATM at lollapalooza before i hit high school.
[close]

takes like this are always interesting to me because i remember reading an interview when i was like 14 with Ian Mackaye and he was asked whether he liked touring in the days of Minor Threat or Fugazi more.  he said that back when he was doing the MT thing, you could go to alabama and the kids would look and act this way and then the next day be in aexas or california or where ever and every place had its own certain style. Then MTV came out and nirvana got famous and all of a sudden it was cool to be a weirdo and wearing flannels became acceptable. 

i don't really feel strongly one way or the other towards nirvana and don't really get the excessive love or hate, espeically from younger people
[close]

The way the story gets told over and over again, it's made to seem like Nirvana just organically emerged and replaced hair metal on the top of the charts. By 1990, rock music was dead - the best selling "rock" albums that year were Midnight Oil (cool, good), Jimmy Barnes (who?), and Roxette (lol). The truth is that the gas was out of the tank on the genre, and the only survivor was going to be G&R. Record companies found something else, which they knew "rock fans" broadly would enjoy and which they could use to wash the taste of Aqua Net out of the public's mouth.

Nirvana got a big record deal, recorded in a real studio with an important, young music producer, and received an even marketing bigger push from the label. They were not some plucky upstart who were hand-mailing their homemade demos to radio stations until they got a hit, they are the result of a concerted effort by some of the biggest names in the music industry to introduce a new style of rock in order to replace one which was stagnant and failing. That's not to take anything away from them, because that's how success in the music industry typically works, and the music stands up pretty well, even if I was never a huge fan.

This is the story that the hair metal bands of the time stuck to when asked about their demise. I don’t doubt that the record industry made a pivot of sorts but to say that Nirvana was picked out of a hat and given an undue position is inaccurate. They’d been around since 87. Then broke (wildly) in the fall of 91. Not exactly overnight success. There was a groundswell of acts in the late 80s early 90s that made this pivot a smart move. REM, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Pixies, NIN, Sonic Youth, Mudhoney, Soundgarden etc. all had followings worth leaving hair metal for. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 08:46:21 PM by Robert Baratheon »

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #156 on: January 16, 2022, 07:16:42 AM »
You know how powerful people like Jerry Falwell, Bill Clinton, and Donald Trump tend to have failures for children? Like how Don Jr is a warmed over wannabe version of his dad? And how Chelsea Clinton is a washed up version of her mom? And Falwell Jr has singlehandedly tanked his dads fake university?

It would be cool if Riley and Frances could do that for 90s alt culture.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1216
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #157 on: January 16, 2022, 08:31:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

"Did your ma have Kurt and El Duce killed?"
”look you didn’t really know em like that, what really happened. there’s a reason you aren’t close with your mother”

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image

nothing's been the since same

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
« Reply #159 on: January 18, 2022, 06:37:14 AM »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #160 on: January 18, 2022, 08:24:20 AM »

Murder or suicide, Courtney Love is 100% responsible for the death of Kurt Cobain

its all weird but i wouldn't say its definitive

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • no not never. looser.
« Reply #161 on: January 18, 2022, 08:55:02 AM »
That esquire author writes with an anti Courtney voice, but I’m pretty suspicious as well. The Kurt was too high argument and the different hand writing on the note is odd. Two addicts with mental health problems isn’t a good recipe.

Says he’s 5ft 11 and weighs 135. Not sure if that’s true (I put the wrong height on my ID, thought I was gonna grow more lol) but damn that’s lanky. Throw in the Hawk dna lol

https://allthatsinteresting.com/kurt-cobain-suicide-note

This author brings up a lot of talking points around the suicide note, pretty good read

Not sure if another’s hand writing or he just became more erratic as he approached his final moments.

Anyone read any good Kurt biographies? Heavier than Heaven is what that author cites. Seems to be a good one.

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #162 on: January 19, 2022, 05:29:29 PM »
I read “come as you are” years before Kurt killed himself. I remember thinking “this guy gonna kill himself, damn.” My brother worked for the local newspaper in the 90’s and called me (landline) to give me updates like when Kurt tried suicide the first time while in Europe. Having read that book; I wasn’t surprised at all and was surprised he made it through. That made it a little easier to digest the news that he killed himself in April. I don’t think Courtney pulled the trigger or whatever, but she exacerbated a suicidal situation on purpose. Too bad he didn’t get older and make more music. He was a huge Beatles fan and I think he would have switched it up as he got older. However, growing old was never part of Kurt’s Cobain’s overall life plan
ableSkateMag.com

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • no not never. looser.
« Reply #163 on: January 19, 2022, 08:12:10 PM »
I read “come as you are” years before Kurt killed himself. I remember thinking “this guy gonna kill himself, damn.” My brother worked for the local newspaper in the 90’s and called me (landline) to give me updates like when Kurt tried suicide the first time while in Europe. Having read that book; I wasn’t surprised at all and was surprised he made it through. That made it a little easier to digest the news that he killed himself in April. I don’t think Courtney pulled the trigger or whatever, but she exacerbated a suicidal situation on purpose. Too bad he didn’t get older and make more music. He was a huge Beatles fan and I think he would have switched it up as he got older. However, growing old was never part of Kurt’s Cobain’s overall life plan

Cool. Didn’t know a book was published while the band was active. Just bought a copy thru thrift books. Thanks for the rec

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #164 on: January 19, 2022, 10:00:27 PM »
i read “kurt contain” by christopher sandford a long while ago but it’s always been my source and has always lined up with or out-explained any documentary that has come out in the decade since. frankly, it read like a book that flew under the legal radar that was allowed to speculate more with the facts of the case

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #165 on: January 20, 2022, 05:59:47 AM »
i read “kurt contain” by christopher sandford a long while ago but it’s always been my source and has always lined up with or out-explained any documentary that has come out in the decade since. frankly, it read like a book that flew under the legal radar that was allowed to speculate more with the facts of the case

https://www.amazon.com/Kurt-Cobain-Christopher-Sandford/dp/0786713690

?
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #166 on: January 20, 2022, 07:02:07 AM »
Kurt Cobain was born on 2/20/67 and died on 4/4/94. Nirvana formed in 1987, Bleach came out on on 6/5/1989 via SubPop Records, which peaked in the UK at 33 in the charts. Nevermind came out on 9/24/1991 and sold 30,000,000 copies worldwide. In Utero came out on 9/13/1993. Their Live at Reading album peaked at 33 in the NZ charts.  - Bobby Polio, probably

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #167 on: January 20, 2022, 07:28:57 AM »
daddys little girl aint a girl no more

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #168 on: January 20, 2022, 07:31:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://www.amazon.com/Kurt-Cobain-Christopher-Sandford/dp/0786713690

?

this is the one. but if you’re gonna buy it use alibris or somethin. cheaper and better than amazon

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #169 on: January 20, 2022, 07:33:54 AM »
woudl be sick if riley did a fat bill part with negative creep

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #170 on: January 20, 2022, 07:37:16 AM »

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • I got the internet goin' nuts

Mr. Pickles

• Rep: 39
« Reply #172 on: October 24, 2023, 08:40:15 AM »
Good for them!

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
« Reply #173 on: October 24, 2023, 09:42:49 AM »
I clicked this thread expecting news of a split... happy to see that's not the case!

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #174 on: October 24, 2023, 09:54:52 AM »
totally unrelated but a factoid i kinda love - do y’all know that kurt cobain is one of the biggest targets of identity theft in history? when the post mortem photos got released, there was a clear photo of his ID. a ton of people signed him up for credit cards and just went to town.

anyway mazel to the happy couple

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
    • Suciu avatar image
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #176 on: October 24, 2023, 11:33:39 AM »
Expand Quote

Wish Michael Stipe would sing “So. Central Rain” at my wedding.
[close]

hes my neighbor over my back fence, he usually is at his apartment in berlin but if i see him through the huge bamboo thicket hes planted ill scream for him. he hasnt responded so far but he also hasnt called the cops so
Riley's only Stipe-lation was no 'Shiny Happy People'.

Magnolia

• Rep: 433
  • She/They
« Reply #177 on: October 24, 2023, 12:00:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

hes my neighbor over my back fence, he usually is at his apartment in berlin but if i see him through the huge bamboo thicket hes planted ill scream for him. he hasnt responded so far but he also hasnt called the cops so
[close]
It must have been a secular ceremony, considering he lost his religion
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

WarmUpZone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #178 on: October 24, 2023, 12:58:54 PM »
Looks like Courtney Love wasn't invited.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #179 on: October 24, 2023, 01:34:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Now this song it stuck in my head. I ain't mad at it.