Author Topic: Pennswood Hydrodipped Decks  (Read 1133 times)

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Pennswood Hydrodipped Decks
« on: January 07, 2022, 05:54:16 PM »
I figured this topic is notable enough to warrant its own thread. Pennswood hydrodipped a bunch of decks and they're selling them for pre-covid prices.

https://pennswood.myshopify.com/

It's tempting, but I question the durability of these boards. Wouldn't these be just wall hangers since the decks are basically being dunked in water?

Woodshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Pennswood Hydrodipped Decks
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 08:29:37 PM »
I had a conversation with someone else about this a while back, after I sent him the pics of the boards and showed the video of the process (which I cannot find now) as the other guy I know does something similar for other things to get the paint all over the items, like bike frames or similar things.

I think that the decks are still sealed and finished before anything else happens, and they are just dipped and pulled straight out, so whatever liquid solution in the barrel doesn't get into them at all and the paint is the only thing that remains on the board.

Other places have had them up for sale, I think someone in the woodshop thread said Cockfight Skateboards or similar brand got the last lot and they all skated fine.

Sure is a pretty awesome looking product.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 08:38:45 PM by Woodshop »

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 09:16:51 PM »
They had some cool looking bmwider decks bur they were all sold out 2hrs after he posted about em on Instagram.

If I read the descriptions correctly, many of them are miscuts, but maybe not all... anyway, nothing bigger than an 8.38 last I checked.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 03:14:33 AM »
They had some cool looking bmwider decks bur they were all sold out 2hrs after he posted about em on Instagram.

If I read the descriptions correctly, many of them are miscuts, but maybe not all... anyway, nothing bigger than an 8.38 last I checked.

Yes, but a couple of those bigger boards with longer wheelbases would have been good for you to drill in from the tail end, which would give you a shorter wheelbase and longer tail.

I know that can cause other issues (too many fingers of flat) but as it is sold out, I guess you will never know.

A couple of other decks that had long wheelbases at the expense of a shortened tail worked well though, when drilled in 3/8" using an old 6 hole baseplate, so it would be more a case by case basis for what would work well and what might not.

The best way to test that would be use the six hole baseplate in the last two holes through the existing holes and stand on it when set up and just see if the manual point on the tail works.  If yes, drill it in, but if no, then at least you didn't waste time drilling it when you didn't have to.

I guess this is all based on having a six hole baseplate handy too, eg any old baseplate including no names, or any Indy 159 and up in standards will work.

AlumarX

• Rep: 13
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 06:22:33 PM »
I almost pulled the trigger but at $20 for shipping, I'll pass