Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 207270 times)

Candied cigarettes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1080 on: May 26, 2022, 10:17:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone know if LRG is coming back? I’ve seen a few people (Chico, Kelly Hart, Karl I think) wearing some LRG gear recently. I’m slightly intrigued, there’s some potential for some good pants.
[close]

i want to believe, but i'm more inclined to say it's deadstock/ebay/etc. after reading something about a dude who hooks people up with older skate gear from the people they are sponsored by, i wouldn't put it past those three to have access to that type of thing.
still...hoping for a revival

Hmm, both Kelly and Karl tagged LRG in their bio. Chico also tagged LRG in a recent post. So they could be revamping the skate program, it seems possible.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1081 on: May 26, 2022, 10:23:17 AM »
Why is Kelly Hart so closely associated with bringing back things that should rightfully be laid to rest? LRG was interesting in like 2001-2003 or so, but then it just became a mall brand that tweaks wore.

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1082 on: May 26, 2022, 10:34:28 AM »
We've been stuck in the early 2000s revival for awhile, now were slowing moving into the 2010s revival.

Lets bring Quicksilver and Volcom Stone back. 

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #1083 on: May 26, 2022, 10:41:25 AM »
then it just became a mall brand that tweaks wore.

dark times for a lot of brands

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1097
« Reply #1084 on: May 26, 2022, 11:13:26 AM »
People often say they don't like the height of Indy's or now Lurpivs. They describe it as making the truck feel "tippy". I don't understand this.

I think they mean that the truck has an increased ability to lean to one side or another due to the leverage of a taller truck.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #1085 on: May 26, 2022, 01:04:35 PM »
Why is Kelly Hart so closely associated with bringing back things that should rightfully be laid to rest? LRG was interesting in like 2001-2003 or so, but then it just became a mall brand that tweaks wore.

I think it’s as simple as Kelly just isn’t that creative but he’s been put in a position where he has to come up with ideas.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1086 on: May 26, 2022, 06:07:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think it’s as simple as Kelly just isn’t that creative but he’s been put in a position where he has to come up with ideas.

Nostalgia sells, skaters from the 2000s are probably in their late 20 to mid 30s with more disposable income and will pay to relive the brands from their past. Explains why eS Accel continues to sell well.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1087 on: May 26, 2022, 07:06:22 PM »
People often say they don't like the height of Indy's or now Lurpivs. They describe it as making the truck feel "tippy". I don't understand this.

I feel like a lot of people ride wider boards with narrow trucks, so this combination on almost any truck is going to feel more tippy, but more so on taller trucks than lower trucks.

The Venture low 8" trucks on an 8.25" deck I have set up for a laugh at the indoor park just cannot go over, but two other setups on similar 8.25" or so width deck and 8" truck definitely feel like they will tip over way more easily.  All trucks are more solid medium on those boards too, compared to my usual riders of 8.5" with 149s and medium loose trucks.

Maybe most of those trucks on boards that tip over are not quite as wide as some other boards that are way more stable for any brand of truck, but I know with my size 11 / 12 feet, anything under 8.125 really felt way more likely to go over regardless of what trucks were on it, but the bigger boards with proportionate trucks are a lot more stable.

That tighter narrow truck on a wider board combination seems like it would always tip over way more easily, but that is just me.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1088 on: May 27, 2022, 12:51:12 AM »
Anyone got an opinion on Polar P2 shape vs. Real Full (SE) shape?

Are there any other shapes out there similar to those that I should look into?

Currently skating a Quasi, and I like the wider tail/nose, and want to keep trying boards like that. Not sure what other brands do those types of shapes though.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 604
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1089 on: May 27, 2022, 01:32:17 AM »

Currently skating a Quasi, and I like the wider tail/nose, and want to keep trying boards like that. Not sure what other brands do those types of shapes though.

the shovel nose on the P2 is kinda extreme

you'll find similar to Quasi stuff in WKND and GX1000 catalogs

the shovel scale is kinda like this
(only considering the square shapes here. keep in mind WKND has some standard shapes too)

Real FULL < Quasi=GX1000=WKND < Habitat < Hockey=FA < Polar P2

other brands pressed at PS Stix have some squarish shapes too (Snack, Pizza)

if you want more specific infos (WB, nose and tail steepness, concave) check the woodshop thread
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 01:42:26 AM by BALARGUE »

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 271
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1090 on: May 27, 2022, 04:50:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

the shovel nose on the P2 is kinda extreme

you'll find similar to Quasi stuff in WKND and GX1000 catalogs

the shovel scale is kinda like this
(only considering the square shapes here. keep in mind WKND has some standard shapes too)

Real FULL < Quasi=GX1000=WKND < Habitat < Hockey=FA < Polar P2

other brands pressed at PS Stix have some squarish shapes too (Snack, Pizza)

if you want more specific infos (WB, nose and tail steepness, concave) check the woodshop thread

Not sure if wheelbase and overall length are of importance too, but they definitely make a difference in riding them.

I have a Baker B2 board which is interesting as well (squared nose and tail shape) and about the same wheelbase as the Real Full SE.  It is not as long as the Alien Workshop / Habitat decks, which have short wheelbases and very long kicks, but a little longer than the Real Full SE board when comparing them.

All are still a touch longer than FA / Hockey - shorter wheelbase and length, which are a touch longer than the PS Stix boards as well - GX1000, Quasi, WKND, etc.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #1091 on: May 27, 2022, 05:05:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Anybody else have their inboard speed ring work its way into the face of the hanger or otherwise develop burrs?  Mine get all effed up and start making the bearings feel misaligned - way before even the midpoint of the trucks or wheels lifespan.
[close]

Seems rather unique, but that in itself doesn't mean it hasn't happened to anyone else.

Checking you mean the washer on the axles between hanger and bearing?

What trucks are you riding and do you have any play in the wheel or none at all?

I could understand if the axle nut was done up super tight and the hanger was a softer metal causing it to push inwards, but to me there would need to be significantly more force than just a human tightening the axle nut.

Maybe try running two washers on the inside?

I usually have three washers on the inside and none on the outside of every wheel with a little play, sometimes even four on the inside of Ace trucks as their axles are longer, which brings the wheel out more and sits better over the axle nut, but that is just me.

Curious to hear more.

yeah, the little washer.  it's happened on the last 3 sets of trucks I've put any time on: venture, indy, tracker. I run spacers and have less play than most.  I think the play may be the culprit, as I used to strive for zero, but felt some less-than-perfect wheels worked better with a little slop.  Thought about it some, and it kind of makes sense - If you feel a fresh speed ring, there's a rounded side and a sharp square side.  I always put the rounded side against the bearing.  With a little play and a lot of repetition, the aluminum, and to a less extent the washer itself, are going to give, as both are softer than the bearing.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 674
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1092 on: May 27, 2022, 06:45:24 AM »
is there any point in rocking rails if you dont skate double siders?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1093 on: May 27, 2022, 07:36:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Nostalgia sells, skaters from the 2000s are probably in their late 20 to mid 30s with more disposable income and will pay to relive the brands from their past. Explains why eS Accel continues to sell well.

Not a single skater I know from that era including myself are interested in eS, LRG, or a lot of brands that rightfully died. Seeing what happened to Zoo was painful enough I don't need to be reminded of a tragedy.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #1094 on: May 27, 2022, 08:00:38 AM »

Helps a lot with grabbing your board as you can wrap your fingers around the rails for a very secure grab. If your deck has a certain graphic you like, it can help protect most of the graphic depending on how you set them up.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #1095 on: May 27, 2022, 08:46:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Not a single skater I know from that era including myself are interested in eS, LRG, or a lot of brands that rightfully died. Seeing what happened to Zoo was painful enough I don't need to be reminded of a tragedy.

lol yeah it's more 'nostalgia sells' and younger gens have the interest. i did say i want a revival of LRG but it's more to see what the output would be not to rock it.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1097 on: May 28, 2022, 06:17:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Helps a lot with grabbing your board as you can wrap your fingers around the rails for a very secure grab. If your deck has a certain graphic you like, it can help protect most of the graphic depending on how you set them up.

It also lowers the center contact considerably, so it is a lot easier to get into a slide, be it boardslide or lipslide on a curb, ledge or any edge with less wheel contact than a board without rails.

I know a couple of guys who skate rails on everything and their boards feel a bit dangerous to me on those things, mainly because I am used to having a bit more grip with no rails, but they sure can slide a whole lot more on everything with them, including normal curbs with platform / no double side options.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
« Reply #1098 on: May 28, 2022, 08:07:33 AM »
On transition, especially pool coping.  What if all your friends are riding rails……how do you feel?

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #1099 on: May 28, 2022, 03:59:53 PM »
Reebok classic leathers?

ASIC gel lite 3 in suede?

Opinions? You think it’s easier to roll his ankle with those?

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #1100 on: May 28, 2022, 06:33:46 PM »
Reebok classic leathers?

Why not just get some skate shoes?

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #1101 on: May 28, 2022, 06:57:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Reebok classic leathers?

[close]
Why not just get some skate shoes?

Already have those

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1102 on: May 28, 2022, 07:24:36 PM »
for the love of ankles, dont skate gel lyte 3s
ive rolled my shits walking in them carelessly
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1097
« Reply #1103 on: May 29, 2022, 07:41:50 AM »
You think those Reebok classics are skateable?

https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/4466984_-classic-leather-women-intense-black-reebok.html

There is no way I am clicking through the captcha to find out which sneakers these are, but I have a homie who sometimes skates in the classic flat solved Reeboks and says they're great.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
« Reply #1104 on: May 29, 2022, 07:44:17 AM »
We've been stuck in the early 2000s revival for awhile, now were slowing moving into the 2010s revival.

Lets bring Quicksilver and Volcom Stone back.

and Ocean Pacific, Billabong, Maui & Sons..Jimmy'Z..Gotcha Streetwear

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
« Reply #1105 on: May 29, 2022, 09:53:16 AM »
I had to buy a skate pack recently and Volcom was the best option….

Saw this today…

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
« Reply #1106 on: May 29, 2022, 05:18:43 PM »
I guess more height means more potential turning for the truck, and on super tight trucks the board would be likely to just 'tip' at a steeper angle.
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1107 on: May 29, 2022, 06:21:43 PM »
On transition, especially pool coping.  What if all your friends are riding rails……how do you feel?

Curious if this is just thinking out loud or an actual question, but I know standing on a platform with a group of others of similar age (40+ club), they are all padded up, setups almost always with rails and there is me feeling happy in my usual space, no pads, no rails, no worries.

Personal choice really, but rails just make my life harder nowdays.

* It could be almost 50 / 50 split between those I have never seen rail slide and those who just want to keep their old school graphics intact, but either way, at least they are still rolling.  That is all that matters.

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #1108 on: May 31, 2022, 12:15:52 AM »
Got a question about Mob grip.

Yesterday at the shop I was picking up a deck for an alternative setup and thought I might try Mob for the first time in ages, since it won't be on my main board. The shop guy brought out the roll of normal Mob and told me that recently, Mob's been really thick, and that the grit is weird. He then brought out the 10" roll of Mob and demonstrated how it was thinner, and that the grit seemed finer, yet higher quality.

What I remember not liking about Mob 15 years ago was how thick it was, and that it was grippier than necessary, so I kinda expected it to be this way, but the 10" inch roll got me confused. The shop guy acted as if the standard Mob had gotten shittier recently.

Any Mob-heads got a clue what he's on about?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 604
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1109 on: May 31, 2022, 02:44:10 AM »
As a shop guy i can confirm classic MOB slightly changed to be thicker
I've heard they temporarily had to switch factories because of Covid