Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 209513 times)

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 464
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1950 on: October 31, 2022, 04:57:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Anybody got a useful method for flattening out slightly bent shields? I removed a few for cleaning and was a little too hasty.
[close]

The  axle end of a skate tool or socket set works great on hard surfaces to flatten shields. 

Keep the shield metal up and just push down in a gentle but firm circular motion round to flatten them out.

A few I have done like this turned out nicely and couldn't tell the difference.

Thanks for this! It sounds like it will work well. Can’t wait to try it out.

swongolianbbq

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 44
« Reply #1951 on: October 31, 2022, 05:50:44 PM »
What size dunks y'all wear

I'm 8.5 in chucks, blazers, Tiago 1010s, tailwind 79s, Danner mtn lights, Adidas superstars, etc

9 in vans pro classics, Adidas city cup, most sole tech shoes like accels, spanky's, etc, xtratufs, docs, etc

8 in birks, 9 in chacos

I feel like with last resorts vm001 and halfcabs I could go either way 8.5 or 9

Even in a 9 I be having trouble getting my foot into a vans slip on without ripping it

Feet beef

I had some dunk mids in like 2011 that were 9.5's and I remember them being narrow

But I like blazers in 8.5, even though they start narrow I blow em out and plan on microwaving my dunks anyway like I used to do with my emerica cupsoles

Not sure if I should get a 9 or 9.5

Anybody got blazers and dunks and can compare the length of the footbeds/insoles or outsoles or speak on how they compare sizewise

I can't have vulcanized shoes that are too long, cause they get all flappy at the end. With cupsoles it's not as big of a deal.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1952 on: October 31, 2022, 06:10:24 PM »

I'm 8.5 in chucks, blazers, Tiago 1010s, tailwind 79s, Danner mtn lights, Adidas superstars, etc

9 in vans pro classics, Adidas city cup, most sole tech shoes like accels, spanky's, etc, xtratufs, docs, etc

8 in birks, 9 in chacos

Even in a 9 I be having trouble getting my foot into a vans slip on without ripping it

Feet beef

I had some dunk mids in like 2011 that were 9.5's and I remember them being narrow

But I like blazers in 8.5, even though they start narrow I blow em out and plan on microwaving my dunks anyway like I used to do with my emerica cupsoles

Anybody got blazers and dunks and can compare the length of the footbeds/insoles or outsoles or speak on how they compare sizewise

I can't have vulcanized shoes that are too long, cause they get all flappy at the end. With cupsoles it's not as big of a deal.

Dunks are TTS for me just like Vans and Lakai. Haven't had a need to size up/down.

swongolianbbq

« Reply #1953 on: October 31, 2022, 06:57:06 PM »
Leaning towards 9 as the winner

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1954 on: November 01, 2022, 03:03:21 PM »
I’ve been skating decks about 31.75 to 32.25 for the last few years.  I got an uma and it’s 32.8 long with a 7.4 nose and 7” tail.  How is the length and nose  tail gonna affect me? I keep putting off setting it up but it’s all I got left. I been skating either antihero 8.75 misregister decks or the 8.6-8.8 creature stumps or Santa Cruz boats or whatever they’re called
i personally wouldnt jump that much up in length
also prefer 31.75 - 32ish long boards myself
dont see the need for anything much longer, at least on street
makes rotational tricks feel clunky or at best too much effort
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

SupremePizza

« Reply #1955 on: November 01, 2022, 03:35:20 PM »

8 in birks, 9 in chacos

Feet beef

I'd go 9. I wear dunks, Ishods, and blazer lows in 9.5 and don't feel I need to go up or down in size. I could probably go down to a 9 in dunk highs if I wanted a snugger fit but don't feel it's necessary. Blazers and Ishods feel little narrow in the forefoot at first but break in nicely for me

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #1956 on: November 02, 2022, 01:30:34 AM »
Dunks are pretty TTS, but you could get away with 0.5 up to be a little  more comfortable since they might be a little snug depending on  how cups fit on ya
Super Champion Fun Zone

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #1957 on: November 02, 2022, 01:55:39 AM »
Stupid question / rather looking for confirmation, but am I right assuming that Indy stock top bushings (any bushings really) will turn mushy with age so that you have to steadily tighten the kingpin (or replace the bushings) if you want the tightness to stay identical all the time?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #1958 on: November 02, 2022, 02:08:52 AM »
Stupid question / rather looking for confirmation, but am I right assuming that Indy stock top bushings (any bushings really) will turn mushy with age so that you have to steadily tighten the kingpin (or replace the bushings) if you want the tightness to stay identical all the time?
In my experience this is the case with every bushing. It's just how they wear out. If you're tightening every session something may be up tho

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 464
« Reply #1959 on: November 02, 2022, 04:19:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anybody got a useful method for flattening out slightly bent shields? I removed a few for cleaning and was a little too hasty.
[close]

The  axle end of a skate tool or socket set works great on hard surfaces to flatten shields. 

Keep the shield metal up and just push down in a gentle but firm circular motion round to flatten them out.

A few I have done like this turned out nicely and couldn't tell the difference.
[close]

Thanks for this! It sounds like it will work well. Can’t wait to try it out.

I tried this yesterday and it worked sooo good! Thanks again.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1960 on: November 02, 2022, 05:07:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
In my experience this is the case with every bushing. It's just how they wear out. If you're tightening every session something may be up tho

Thanks, that‘s what I thought. I haven‘t tightened them in many moons so a wee bit of tightening might be in order.
why come?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #1961 on: November 02, 2022, 05:50:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thanks, that‘s what I thought. I haven‘t tightened them in many moons so a wee bit of tightening might be in order.

I agree with Mean Salto, that's just normal wear when trucks get a bit looser with time, personally I just tend to lean into the groove and learn to embrace the feeling, I think it's cooler when trucks feel personal and so I never tighten them back. My weakness is definitely pivot cups though, I crack or destroy those a lot due to how rough and shaky a lot of the terrain I skate is, but stability there is as important as around the kingpin and so to be watched. I've gone long periods of skating with broken or missing/makeshift pivot cups and it honestly fucking sucks, potentially throws you off in everything you do.

TonySquared

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1962 on: November 02, 2022, 10:06:10 AM »
does anyone know hockeys difference in shape sizes? im looking at a deck and it says “shape 2” underneath.

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1963 on: November 02, 2022, 10:19:01 AM »
does anyone know hockeys difference in shape sizes? im looking at a deck and it says “shape 2” underneath.

Shape 2 is their "normal" shape, same length and wb as their normal shape, full nose and tail just not square or as steep.

I really liked the 8.5 I had, I bought it on accident thinking it was the normal shape but I got used to it pretty quick.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #1964 on: November 02, 2022, 10:24:13 AM »

This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

TonySquared

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1965 on: November 02, 2022, 02:07:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

exactly what i needed. thanks!

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #1966 on: November 02, 2022, 05:30:19 PM »
I was wondering - has there ever been a study of goofy and regular stance? How the stances are correlated with handedness, how evenly are the distributed across the population, etc? Surf or snowboarding would be equally useful in this regard.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1967 on: November 02, 2022, 06:35:22 PM »
All I've seen is in relation to SOTY.

Does Baker sell the blue logo boards? I've always wanted one. No idea why.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1968 on: November 02, 2022, 08:26:16 PM »
whats the quality like on sci fi fantasy hoodies?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #1969 on: November 02, 2022, 08:29:50 PM »
I was wondering - has there ever been a study of goofy and regular stance? How the stances are correlated with handedness, how evenly are the distributed across the population, etc? Surf or snowboarding would be equally useful in this regard.

Bit of a Facebook uncle moment but I was sent this the other day and it actually low-key blew my mind in those regards, apparently birds have stances too:

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1970 on: November 03, 2022, 01:14:47 AM »

gotcha bruh

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=115864.msg3517896#msg3517896
why come?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 619
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1971 on: November 03, 2022, 03:53:19 AM »

Jenkem had an article about it
https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2017/10/12/determines-skate-stance/

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1972 on: November 03, 2022, 01:16:18 PM »
How are the Samba ADV different from the Samba?

finalist

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1973 on: November 09, 2022, 06:38:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is there a way to tell which primitive decks are BBS wood? I always thought just buy "original" graphics and stay away from colab boards, but my buddy just got a Prod deck (white face with gold skull graphic) and it wasnt BBS. The sticker said made in USA.

Also, I just skated a Primitive 8.38 BBS board and loved the shape. Does anyone know if that size and shape is used by other BBS brands?
[close]

Primitive uses a few woodshops, from the woodshop thread:
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.0
Primitive* (Euro 2020+)   ……….   ……….   China (unknown)
Primitive* (US 2021)   ……….   ……….   USA (unknown) / Pennswood
Primitive* (US 2022)   ……….   ……….   BBS

If it says made in USA it's likely BBS, but actually Mexico. I've seen team logo decks with the Made in USA / Mexico sticker, some with a Made in China sticker, so your best bet is to check it out in store.

Shape wise Primitive has unique dimensions for their 8.25 and 8.38:
Haven't had luck finding dimensions on an 8.25, but some generic Generator mold decks (Sci-Fi, Black Label) are 31.8" x 14.125. Real did 1 season of the Tropical Dream Oval which are as close as you can get to the Primitive 8.25 shape.

Not seen a 8.38 with similar dimensions in the wild either,
[close]

I haven't heard many more USA boards so that might have been a once off thing.

Someone who got one said they were certainly different to BBS / Made in Mexico marked boards.

Yeah the others Made in China are different concave and ever so slightly different dimensions, but more of a Dwindle like concave.

As to that shape, I think April has one similar but I haven't checked to see if they were still around, but April did have similar length, shorter wheelbases with longer kicks.

Alien Workshop / Habitat and now Metal Skateboards also have the fairly long boards, short wheelbases with long kicks, but they are different shapes, way more stubby / blunt kicks.

Just a couple of extra things, from what I recall from people talking about that shape, but I can look up a bit more info if needed too.
[close]

From the April website:

31.91" x 8"
Nose - 6.91"
Tail - 6.55"
Wheelbase - 14.18

31.77" x 8.19"
Nose - 7"
Tail - 6.56"
Wheelbase - 14"

31.92" x 8.26"
Nose - 6.88"
Tail - 6.81"
Wheelbase - 14"

31.12"  x 8.38"
Nose - 6.857"
Tail - 6.617"
Wheelbase - 14.395"

32.2" x 8.5"
Nose - 7.0"
Tail - 6.5"
Wheelbase - 14.4"

You're right on the April 8.25, dimensions are similar to Primitive but I recall April being very mellow and flat. The 8.38 shape is weird, reminds me of Palace decks.

For AWS / Habitat I like that their 8.25 / 8.38 / 8.5 are all the same length and wheelbase (32.25 / 14.25) just narrower or wider, but the length can be daunting.

I’m a big fan of the April 8.25” bbs deck so I got an 8.25” primitive. I have a new April and a new Primitive 8.25” sitting right in front of me and measured each. They are exactly the same in every way I could measure (tail, nose, width, length and wheelbase) the only difference I found was the Primitive has a little more kick steepness in the nose and tail when I stack the two decks either way. The Primitive also weighs 20 grams more at 1245g. The Primitive is the Prod Knight Rose deck and says made in usa. Is that Pennswood or BBS socal??

I’m going to set up both with Venture 5.6 titanium, g3 bearings and powell dragon 52mm.

Update:
I skated the Primitive today and it feels like a bbs april.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #1974 on: November 10, 2022, 05:25:16 AM »
Why 8.5 decks or up when you skate mostly street (park, but „street“?)

I would try one, but honestly I don’t really see the point.
Why are many people skate bigger than 8.25s when they don’t skate bowls?
Even people who mostly skate flat here.
It’s just hype or am I wrong?

What’s the point for people like me who are doing lots of flips? 

I have the feeling there’s even less 8.25 decks made 🤷🏻‍♂️

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #1975 on: November 10, 2022, 06:27:08 AM »

Because it feels great, especially ledge tricks. You can do any flip trick on a 9" deck if you want. Street skaters have been riding 8.5 for a decade at least

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #1976 on: November 10, 2022, 06:52:34 AM »

For me being tall an 8.5 just feels good. I will occasionally skate 8.25 though.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #1977 on: November 10, 2022, 08:00:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Because it feels great, especially ledge tricks. You can do any flip trick on a 9" deck if you want. Street skaters have been riding 8.5 for a decade at least

How does it feel different for ledge tricks.
When I went up to 8.25 I didn’t realize any difference in them.

Any flip trick? I mean yeah sure, but as easy as with a small deck? Like double hardflips or something like that?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1978 on: November 10, 2022, 08:04:50 AM »

Large feet -> less toe drag. I am sizing down to 8.38 shortly tho but 8.25 seems like a toothpick to me.
why come?

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #1979 on: November 10, 2022, 09:52:59 AM »
Expand Quote

I have the feeling there’s even less 8.25 decks made ‍♂️
[close]

Large feet -> less toe drag. I am sizing down to 8.38 shortly tho but 8.25 seems like a toothpick to me.

Sure it does, cause you’re not used to it
Skate and 8 inch deck for a month and 8.25 is fine again.

I btw have size 11 and no issues with toedrags. Maybe heel drags with frontside tricks out of manuals (while doing the manual)

Why are you sizing down?

Edit: another question:

Why are 8.3 krooked decks longer than 8.5s? I don’t get it.