Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 208718 times)

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3480 on: June 11, 2023, 05:58:04 AM »
Expand Quote
I've been skating 808 for the last 6 months or so but I'm tempted of trying 306, any comments on those?
[close]

I havent skated 808s but ive gone through 5 pairs of 306 and 1 pair of 1010. All i hear is the 808s are thicker and more narrow than 1010s, if that's the case then you're really going from one extreme to the other. The 306 sole isnt the thinnest vulc sole but it breaks in pretty easy, doesnt last super long though. I always wear the sole flat before the suede rips.  Also imo the 306s fit pretty wide, my feet love the fit.
You're right, I tried 306 and felt like nothing. I guess the thinner I can go are 508
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 797
« Reply #3481 on: June 11, 2023, 07:28:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Has anyone skated rollerblading wheels? I think they use the same bearings than in skateboards? How was it?
[close]

The bearings are the same. But there are a lot of different rollerblade wheels. The guys in my local have large but slim wheels. They feel insanely soft and I can't imagine that these wheels will fit on skateboard trucks.
But there are definitely other rollerblade wheels which can fit on a skateboard. But why should we do that? ^^

My ex used some cruiser wheels I had kicking about on her quads for a while for street/parks. Think they were 78a, 58mm no clue why I had two sets lol. I forget what her derby wheels where but I think they were harder, but she has to keep them clean for derby. No clue if that will help.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #3482 on: June 11, 2023, 08:37:52 AM »
What is the logic behind shovel nose decks? Seems like they're harder to flick and you don't see that many ledge skaters on em so it's not more slide room

I'm a big noseslide guy and enjoy the extra real estate.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3483 on: June 11, 2023, 09:03:19 AM »

Is this really real?
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3484 on: June 11, 2023, 06:00:11 PM »
Expand Quote
do pro's still get a cut when their boards go on sale?
[close]
How do the brands operate?
Do they sell to distributors/shops or they give them on consignment and get paid later when the sales are done?

Totally just guessing here, but I think if it is still calculated on number of boards sold, it is at the distributor production and sales end, not the retail shop end, which they would have no way to track sales or anything to that degree.

Many boards are pre booked, which means you get a really good idea of how many and of which boards will be wanted, but I would also guess that they would make a lot more then only what is pre booked to have ready to restock as needed too.

That said, others on here have said some brands prioritise their riders, so the most common selling shapes will get the most productive guy's name on the next run of boards, so he would get the most from board royalties, but compared to when pro skateboarders made money from their pro board, nowdays the hardgoods market is almost non existent in terms of generating revenue for the professional skateboarders, with way more coming in from clothing, shoe, or other things like energy drink or similar sponsorships.

Even if someone got $1.00 per pro board sold, that is still not a whole lot, given some brands don't do regular drops, so I doubt it would be even a K or so a month, unless they were really big time and ran their own show, so to speak, eg Nigel.

Anyone else with more current or relevant knowledge, please put me in my place.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3485 on: June 11, 2023, 07:27:13 PM »
Setup a Cleaver a while back and it felt like a less aggressive FA / Hockey, looking for any brand that carries a similar shape.

- Medium concave
- Full kicks but not too square
- Standard wheelbase and length
- BBS or Clutch, no PS Stix

I know Clutch 'O' shape has a full nose but getting that specific shape is hit or miss since shop and brands will use a combination of the 'K' (standard popsicle) and 'O' shape, but mostly the 'K' shape.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

oak leaf

• Rep: 50
« Reply #3486 on: June 13, 2023, 07:27:53 AM »
aight maybe this goes in madness support but idk.

i see some folks (on slap, mostly) run a small board to learn tricks on and a bigger board as a daily driver.  when you learn tricks on the little board, you can just bring em to the big board? Or is it like you learn to do a tre on the little board for fun and dont really skate that way on the main board?

i guess what i dont understand is how learning a trick on a smaller board than you usually ride wouldnt fuck up your timing etc on the bigger, “normal” board. no hate at all, just curious

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3487 on: June 13, 2023, 07:51:33 AM »

i see some folks (on slap, mostly) run a small board to learn tricks on and a bigger board as a daily driver.  when you learn tricks on the little board, you can just bring em to the big board? Or is it like you learn to do a tre on the little board for fun and dont really skate that way on the main board?

i guess what i dont understand is how learning a trick on a smaller board than you usually ride wouldnt fuck up your timing etc on the bigger, “normal” board. no hate at all, just curious

i try to stay on the same board for the most part. there is nothing really i can do on one setup that i cant do on another.

basically the reason i need 3 setups is

1. is for super rough spots (cruiser)
2. is a setup with rails
3. is my main setup without rails i do 95% of my skating on...

that might change though cause I am really enjoying riding with rails now.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -298
« Reply #3488 on: June 13, 2023, 07:55:15 AM »

Wut?? That’s actually insane. You only hear about it on Slap because real skaters IRL don’t do that. No skater is out there practicing tre flips on a 7.75 “learner” board before taking it to the streets on their 8.25 “daily driver”board, because that’s insane and ain’t nobody got time for that. Just learn to skate the damn 8.25!

Slap is so insane with the gear madness, specs, and different set ups it drives me crazy sometimes lol. Just skate

oak leaf

« Reply #3489 on: June 13, 2023, 07:59:42 AM »

Wut?? That’s actually insane. You only hear about it on Slap because real skaters IRL don’t do that. No skater is out there practicing tre flips on a 7.75 “learner” board before taking it to the streets on their 8.25 “daily driver”board, because that’s insane and ain’t nobody got time for that. Just learn to skate the damn 8.25!

Slap is so insane with the gear madness, specs, and different set ups it drives me crazy sometimes lol. Just skate

i try to stay on the same board for the most part. there is nothing really i can do on one setup that i cant do on another.

basically the reason i need 3 setups is

1. is for super rough spots (cruiser)
2. is a setup with rails
3. is my main setup without rails i do 95% of my skating on...

that might change though cause I am really enjoying riding with rails now.

cool, this makes sense to me. I know slap can go crazy about gear, but there is also a lot of wisdom here. Appreciate the replies

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3490 on: June 13, 2023, 09:57:02 AM »
Slap is for sure a subset of the real world. I will see kids at the skatepark ripping anything and everything on like, some random 8.75 shop deck that they just decided is their shape. I know plenty of people that really know nothing about wheelbases or differences between woodshops. I'd consider someone pretty nerdy if they know the heights of trucks and the effects of a wheelbase and actually bring it up.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #3491 on: June 13, 2023, 10:18:23 AM »
This may have been asked before but what exactly is the hype behind people running bearings shieldless?

I have an old set of abec 7s laying around I was gonna just pilfer the crowns out of if I break others on my daily drivers.
I decided to run em in a spare set of wheels with no shields.  Had a bearing clog up and sieze on my after like 2 hours, and they were perfectly clean with no lube before using em. 

I just do not get the why people run em this way at all.
I have heard people say sound but like... I have some old Swiss with shields on that are loud as fuck it can't just be this.   

oak leaf

« Reply #3492 on: June 13, 2023, 10:23:01 AM »
This may have been asked before but what exactly is the hype behind people running bearings shieldless?

I have an old set of abec 7s laying around I was gonna just pilfer the crowns out of if I break others on my daily drivers.
I decided to run em in a spare set of wheels with no shields.  Had a bearing clog up and sieze on my after like 2 hours, and they were perfectly clean with no lube before using em. 

I have heard people say sound but like... I have some old Swiss with shields on that are loud as fuck it can't just be this.

i think people pop em to clean the bearing or whatever and then cant/dont care to pop em back in.

ive also heard “if you leave the shields off, whatever gets in the bearing can also get out”

i ran shieldless bearings for a minute because i was given them for free. probably wouldn’t do it again.

does make the wheels sound cool tho

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3493 on: June 13, 2023, 10:40:38 AM »
Slap is for sure a subset of the real world. I will see kids at the skatepark ripping anything and everything on like, some random 8.75 shop deck that they just decided is their shape. I know plenty of people that really know nothing about wheelbases or differences between woodshops. I'd consider someone pretty nerdy if they know the heights of trucks and the effects of a wheelbase and actually bring it up.

i mean i have street fighter shit in my signature...  ;D

Pastasash

• Rep: 74
« Reply #3494 on: June 13, 2023, 01:22:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i think people pop em to clean the bearing or whatever and then cant/dont care to pop em back in.

ive also heard “if you leave the shields off, whatever gets in the bearing can also get out”

i ran shieldless bearings for a minute because i was given them for free. probably wouldn’t do it again.

does make the wheels sound cool tho

I do it cus when I first pop in new bearings its so silent on the roll, I hate it. So I pop them off and forget to pop them back on later once they've had a few sessions to break in, I'm always buying the cheap stuff tho.

But if I balled out on Swiss I'd prob keep them on, let them break in, and try not to get too bothered during the fist few sessions where its all silent.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3495 on: June 13, 2023, 01:30:14 PM »
One reason for loud bearings is similar to loud freehubs on a bike- so people in front of you can hear you and move over if they know you're coming. But, I think people are too distracted these days to notice much of anything.

One time there was a homeless man peeing on a street corner near where I worked in SF. It was raining and a girl on her phone walked right into and out of the pee stream and must have just thought it was rain.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #3496 on: June 13, 2023, 01:50:45 PM »
One reason for loud bearings is similar to loud freehubs on a bike- so people in front of you can hear you and move over if they know you're coming. But, I think people are too distracted these days to notice much of anything.

One time there was a homeless man peeing on a street corner near where I worked in SF. It was raining and a girl on her phone walked right into and out of the pee stream and must have just thought it was rain.

Maybe its east coast crust talking here, but on the streets/sidewalks I can't imagine a bearing that actually still spins at all would be louder than the hard ass wheel itself.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3497 on: June 13, 2023, 02:50:45 PM »
My theory on shield-less bearings is that, at some point when we were young, we had our bearings seize up and we removed the shields in order to service it and get it working again, never reinstalling them. We all became used to that sound and now - for many of us - loud, shieldless bearings are the norm. Simple as.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #3498 on: June 13, 2023, 03:55:12 PM »
Y'all are nutty

Cesspool86

• Rep: 60
« Reply #3499 on: June 13, 2023, 04:01:57 PM »
My favorite reason to pop the shields aside from being the g way to do it, is that when my board goes in a puddle I can blow the water out. Sounds crazy but cup your hand over the outside of the wheel and blow in and see all the crap go on your axle

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #3500 on: June 13, 2023, 05:11:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Maybe its east coast crust talking here, but on the streets/sidewalks I can't imagine a bearing that actually still spins at all would be louder than the hard ass wheel itself.

I could have 30 shieldless bearings spinning on my board and I still won’t hear it over the clack of my wheels

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3501 on: June 14, 2023, 02:28:54 AM »
I feel that the shieldless bearing is a USA thing mainly.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3502 on: June 14, 2023, 04:25:12 AM »
I noticed when I do powerslides or reverts my wheels can get stuck, as in they turn itself tighter. I don't use spacers but maybe they would solve that? Or is something wrong with the bearings? My trucks can't be the problem because they are new.
IG: @flowterspace

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #3503 on: June 14, 2023, 05:25:49 AM »
I noticed when I do powerslides or reverts my wheels can get stuck, as in they turn itself tighter. I don't use spacers but maybe they would solve that? Or is something wrong with the bearings? My trucks can't be the problem because they are new.

What you describe is usually due to axle slip. It shouldn't happen or happen to lesser degree if you use spacers.
Sometimes bearings can get unseated in wheel resulting in wobbly wheel spin or wheel feeling stuck.
Whatever the reason it is annoyance because to fix it one needs to get skate tool and unscrew axle nut a bit or reposition bearings which is even bigger pain in the ass. 

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #3504 on: June 14, 2023, 08:45:55 AM »
why come primitive doesnt branch out and create a sister company similar to girl/chocolate, baker/deathwish, fa/hockey?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3505 on: June 14, 2023, 09:11:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What you describe is usually due to axle slip. It shouldn't happen or happen to lesser degree if you use spacers.
Sometimes bearings can get unseated in wheel resulting in wobbly wheel spin or wheel feeling stuck.
Whatever the reason it is annoyance because to fix it one needs to get skate tool and unscrew axle nut a bit or reposition bearings which is even bigger pain in the ass.

Yep, definitely those two, but in this day and age, I don't really see very many slipped axles, but I do hear more and more of wheels that have bearings moving in them.  There is even a whole thread about it now:

Bearings moving in the bearing seat thread

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=125264.0

Some wheels I have / had before I took them off, I do the push and pull method after things like smith grinds, or anything that put force on the wheel that moved it one way or other as it would just stop spinning and feel tight on the axle.  What I did was put the board on its side, stand with two feet pressed against the wheel closest to the ground and pull the wheel closest to me up, then push down on it, both hands firmly on the wheel with my palms sort of cupping it.

It went from zero play to a mm or two of wiggle room and I got used to having to do this a lot, before getting over it and taking the wheels off.

As per that thread, my solution with wheels like that was to use Race Reds or other similar internal bearing spacer type of setup, tighten them down so there was no movement in the middle, but as per how those sort of bearings operate, the bearings and wheels still spun freely and it stopped the bearing from being dislodged or moving in the bearing seat of the wheels.

If you don't tighten them right down (as per manufacturers instructions) then it won't do the job as intended, but it works better than having a separate spacer, which often is the wrong size or just doesn't fit well, with the bearings still able to move in the wheel.

Anyway, that might be a bit out there as it is well past midnight here, but if it doesn't make sense, let me know and I will make a video about it or something.

*  Meant to ask, what trucks and what wheels, and even what bearings do you have in them?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3506 on: June 14, 2023, 09:32:12 AM »
why come primitive doesnt branch out and create a sister company similar to girl/chocolate, baker/deathwish, fa/hockey?

Probably because the market for skateboard companies is absolutely saturated and Primitive is constantly having super sales in order to move all their unsold product.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1960
« Reply #3507 on: June 14, 2023, 09:40:54 AM »
My theory on shield-less bearings is that, at some point when we were young, we had our bearings seize up and we removed the shields in order to service it and get it working again, never reinstalling them. We all became used to that sound and now - for many of us - loud, shieldless bearings are the norm. Simple as.

You can reinstall bearing shields?!

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3508 on: June 14, 2023, 10:38:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

With God, all things are possible.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3509 on: June 14, 2023, 11:03:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

With God, all things are possible.
So jot that down
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m